Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Compulsive Research [Anarchy!]

Sagasu Yume

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The hospital was enough of a mad house that Yume was able to steal in up to the third floor to grab a set of worn looking journals that she kept locked in the bottom drawer of her desk and shove them in a satchel. As she had no cloak to wear or way to hide her unique locks, she used a transformation to appear in the image of the coroner who spent most of his time in the catacombs of Omni Prime. Due to the destruction, she could only assume that he would be busy for the next few hours, reducing the chance of the two of them coming face to face in a public setting; She couldn't risk stumbling upon Shuu either. She'd see right through the illusion and put her to work when there were more pressing matters to attend to such as the security of the research information that was kept in Keystone Prime. CuRua took on a human shape and hid under a sheet while Yume wheeled the gurney towards a lift that would take them into the bowels beneath the facility where there were pathways that connected the two locations. She moved with deliberate steps and kept a scowl on her face to keep the nurses from thinking that 'he' might be interested in small talk; It was ideal to travel with haste. For all anyone cared it was just another of the dead to be placed in storage until they could dig enough graves to fit them all.

Reaching the lowest floor, the illusion dissipates and once more it is just a girl and her fox making their way towards the only sanctuary she hoped to find. Halfway down the corridor they both stopped short as a sulfuric scent sends them scurrying to cover their noses; There was no way to tell if the fumes were noxious or just the result of destroyed property without the proper equipment. The slew of contaminants, not the mention the variations if they mixed, that could be spewing from the facility was too great to take chances with normally but due to the proclaimed level of infiltration the Cabal had, she doubted there was much she could do. Looking down the stretch of hall as far as she could see, the security doors that would normally be sealed in the event of a leak appeared to have been busted open by force leaving the hospital exposed. Scooping up her fox, she dashes forward, heart accelerated by the cardio and the panic that maybe she was too late.

She reached the biological wing of the research facility first. While it made no sense to keep possibly harmful pathogens so close to the most infirm of Suna, it was completely logical in its own right. Further away there were sections for seismic activity, chemical studies, and physics research where Sousuke would have spent most of his time. Given the vast differences in their fields of interest, it was quite likely that both the Steward and Yume had frequented the building at the same time but never crossed paths due to the segregation of sciences. Papers littered the floor. Tables, chairs, and other miscellaneous furniture had been upended and a few had been sliced into with a well honed blade; the materials on either sides of the gash were cleanly severed. On auto pilot, she made her way towards the office she claimed for herself, keeping her steps light and silent while listening to her surroundings. It seemed that most of the ruckus was coming from other parts of the facility, most likely due to the lack of interesting things that can be scrounged for havoc. If she had to guess, it was likely that most syringes, tubing, and other items that could be used for recreational drugs had been lifted but it was unlikely that her cultures would be taken. Damaged and contaminated, yes, but probably still in the general area where she had left them.

A few metres from her sanctum and she was met with the scent of primal pheromones and the sounds of exertion. The sight that met her once she crossed the remaining space caused her vision to blur with rage as she finds an infidel from the Obsidian Palace desecrating the cadavers she had personally requested for embryonic testing. Fueled by her disgust, her rage catalysis an endothermic reaction within the mednin and she releases a flurry of ice chakra at the man's feet and hands, solidifying him in place. Try as he might, the hold was unyielding and with each attempt to struggle free he would only manage to hurt himself. The Inuzuka drew near with slow stalking steps as a reverberating growl emitted from her chest; the image of a hunter in complete control of its prey. Her left hand gripped him by the back of his shaggy head and forced him to look down to where his indiscretion took place as two thin needles were inserted into his spinal column. His muscles contracted and locked up the moment she lifted his head and squeezed the metal between his discs, making him no more than a mannequin. Now that the situation was being managed, her predatory instinct wore off and her clinical mind emerged. Releasing his icy bonds she gently tugs on his shoulders and feels his dead weight tip over. Not willing to risk the needles damaging his spinal column or dislodging by accident, she carefully lowers him to the ground and tilts him to his front as much as his bent arms and biological reaction would let him. Departing to the hallway, she returns with a destroyed transport cot and lowers it to the floor, managing to finagle his body onto the litter in a 3/4 prone position, tweaking the needles and adding others to his spine to facilitate the movement she needed. Once he was where she wanted him, she lifted his bed to waist height and wheeled him to a corner where she proceeded to attach an IV and catheter, to keep him hydrated and relatively hygienic. She would need to give him a bath later but for now he could sit in his nightmare as she settled on a stool and stared at him with a half-sane smile.

So good of you to donate your body to science. I've been needing to acquire a compatible form of XY genetic material and you have so kindly volunteered yourself as potential candidate. You'll be staying right where you are in case I'll be needing more. Of course, you won't enjoy the way I extract it.

Her bemused smile split into a neurotic grin as she let out a laugh that could make ones blood fill with icicles. With a push of her foot, she propelled her body to pivot on her rear atop her stool and stepped off in the opposite direction from her newly acquired guinea pig, taking inventory of what was left in the chamber and the order of things while singing and skipping. The Stewards lab would have to wait.

Sand Council

Sand Event NPC
Yen
ASP
Deaths
Re: Compulsive Research

jogz4Am.jpg

The laugh had been impossible to miss. It carried across the charred metal walls like death's call to the wicked. Some that had remained in the labs had taken in a maddening chemical agent and were sent fleeing at the excited titter of enjoyment for fear of something more sinister. Not all ran so easily. One remained behind in hopes of encountering the man whose livelihood he had annihilated. Stalking the hall on quiet gait was a man garbed in fur and black leather. Off of one shoulder was the whole skin of a wolf, it's eyes and teeth eerily alive as it hung lifelessly from his form. Wrapped around his waist is a chain of spikes and horrendous barbs. Attached to his belt was a book bound by a curious hide that seemed to repel the eye even if one desired to stare. The face of the hunter was aged and scarred from many decades of combat, a large scar drawn over one eye and nearly reaching the bottom of his nose.

Like a phantom entering a nightmare, the darkened man turned the corner and observed the eccentric med-nin prance about her lab. The biological wing had been mostly left due to many of the half-witted prisoners not understanding the devastating abilities of what lie within. Urufu was no one's fool and had stayed clear during the initial intrusion to avoid any fools tampering with what they didn't comprehend.

This female before him was tied to the Steward on a deeper level than most others in the village; beside family.

More importantly she was of the Inuzuka clan, a group that Urufu had a long running history with. They were both of similar circumstances, but had chosen different paths. From the looks of it Yume was nearing changing that direction in her neurosis.

"Sagasu-san, why am I not surprised to find you here,"<i></i> He eyed the captured individual. "And making friends too. That's a good girl. You'll be pleased to know most of your laboratories in this wing have been left undisturbed save for some minor thefts for the addicted and troublesome. What brings you to these hallowed halls of a mad man?"<i></i>

Sagasu Yume

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Her revelry stopped the moment she heard her name at her back. With one last pirouette, she faces the voice and looks the stranger up and down, taking in his unusual dress and the hide that draped over his shoulders. With mincing steps, she moved forward, sizing up the man in front of her to determine whether he was friend or foe. Her eyes examined the pelt, taking note that it held a striking resemblance to one of her clans patriarch companions from generations past but was almost certain that it couldn't be; No one spoke of that story. She noted that he had a volume attached to his person but try as she might, she couldn't be bothered to spend much time on it; Each time she tried to look, her attention would be pulled elsewhere. As she drew near, she would sniff the air around him as she came as close as she dared and leaned up on her tiptoes in an attempt to bring them to eye-level.

Do I know you? *sniffs* No I certainly do not recognize your scent. But you know me by name and I do not have a nameplate or other such defining things around this room, so you MUST know of me some how. Hmmm, you wear a cousin but you are not a cousin. I wonder what that means. Who are you and how do you know me? How do you know that my research is intact? More importantly…

She let the words trail off as she spun so that her back was against the broad-shouldered man. In the same motion, she had pulled the wolf throw down a little so that it rested over her head with its paws over her shoulder. Looking up with almost innocent inquisition, she offers a trusting smile. One look into her star-struck eyes, however, would betray her motives.

Would you like to be my friend too? I could certainly adjust the scenario to include multiple donors. I would even let you supply it yourself, unless you like needles. I'm impartial so long as the result is the same. I just don't like him. He was being greedy with someone that was donated to me to further my genetic research.

While she spoke, she leaned her shoulders back as close as she dared; keeping her hips popped out just enough to stop from getting cut on the jagged metal that encircled his waist. For all of her focus on him, she hadn’t forgotten the elusive tome that hung to his other side. Pivoting on her head, her arm reaches across to touch the book, drawing her in to an almost cuddle; she wasn’t going to take it, she just wanted to feel it. Really, she wanted to read it but it was beyond frustrating that she couldn’t look at it without getting distracted. Was it some sort of magika that Al-Haqqish and Sousuke spoke of or was her mind simply that distracted? Her gaze remained transfixed on the stranger as her hand stretched out to caress the volume's cover, missing her mark and slicing her fingertip open on one of the belt spikes. A drop or two of blood poured from the wound before the crazed Inuzuka could pull back, landing on the binding and pages of the book. A scowl took the place of her playful grin as her finger found refuge in her mouth, her pout seeming to blame the man for her misfortune. In the same retreating motion, she takes a step or two back to become the picture of a dejected child who'd had their hand slapped for stealing from the cookie jar.

Sand Council

Sand Event NPC
Yen
ASP
Deaths
jogz4Am.jpg

Part of how The Cabal worked was that they gathered intelligence, personality reports, psychology profiles, and numerous facets on every single notable person in or allied to the village. Urufu knew of Yume and her brother specifically due to thier affiliation with the Inuzuka Clans of Sunagakure. Although by blood they were family, they were estranged by the treatment of the brother, Shinji who did not show signs of being a true beast handler like his sister. The resentful, self-important Inuzuka clan were the ones who had created the man that stood before the maddened med-nin.

Sagasu Yume was suppose to be a practical, well-thought-out, and studious practitioner of medicine. It was clear that she had not done well with the new scenery of the village. Fragile minds protected from the harsh realities that could hardened them to outside intrusions kept them weak and soft. She was a perfect explanation of how the tiles fell in such a cascading effect to devolve the village's society. Instead of answering any of the questions, he allowed her to go about her display of lunacy, observing her in the broken state she resided in. While it did not show on his face, he was disappointed to see such a shell of a person. The clear fascination with the unknown shone through and she did her best to reach out to the tome resting on his waist and he watched in morbid curiosity as she tried to blindly grope for it.

When she had finally jumped away, tip of her finger bleeding, the wolfman continued to watch her through intense eyes. Even though it was troublesome to gaze at, if she could gaze upon it for a split second, she would see the droplet of blood be absorbed into the leathery wrapping of the book.

"I am Hitoka Urufu, and I once helped lead the Inuzuka clan a long time ago, before I was cast out as impure for not possessing a familiar."<i></i> The events that he was about to describe were infamous to all the Inuzuka not just in Sunagakure, but across the lands. "The prestigious ex-leader of your clan saw it fit to kill my family and leave me to wallow in my sorrow. I returned to not only take his head, but the skin of his companion."<i></i> A shift in his form would jostle the trophy hanging off of his shoulder. "It is his brother that now presides over the clan. I am an exile. So to answer your question: We are family."<i></i>

There was another pause.

"And to answer your second question: No, you may continue your work on the lowlifes we have let loose on your village."<i></i>

A hand reached down to the book on his hip and he undid the clasps securing it in place. Deftly, he raised it up and the pages turned in a whirlwind, like a bird attempting to take flight. Then it closed harshly with a loud snap. While out of its shelter and presented to the young mednin, it was easier to inspect, but there was an overwhelming feeling of wrongness about it.

"I saw that you possess a book similar to mine,"<i></i> He stated, watching for reactions from the young girl. The man had been through her area thoroughly and had found the book. "But yours is trimmed. It is nice. My book contains many things considered forbidden and taboo. Attach life energy to inanimate objects to bring them back to life. Salvage souls and anchor them to the physical plane to be used like a pet. The person who had that book before you is either ignorant or untrusting of your ability to handle things that cause madness."<i></i> There was a brief, deep laugh at the comment. "Although, I see that has happened regardless of the contents of the book. What has driven this little one to the edge of insanity?"<i></i>

Sagasu Yume

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Through painstaking glances, she managed to force her gaze to the book in time to watch her hemoglobin be absorbed by its binding, successfully piquing her interest enough to keep her attention despite her thoughts trying to take her else where. Reluctantly she paid her visitor due attention though her mind was relieved to look away from the digest. His words of the Inuzuka clan registered as he confirmed her suspicions that the pelt was in fact from a clan patriarch and proceeded to explain where he stood with the family. Excitement filled her veins as she bounced on the balls of her feet, barely managing to reign in any impulsive outbursts so she wouldn’t seem rude. The awaited pause would come and she seized the moment.

They do that, don’t they? Exclude people because they’re not the same. Poor form really. Shinji. They did that to Shinji. You and him are alike in that sense. Though he has Ika now. Told my aunt where to shove it when she tried to invite him back to the family. So perhaps we’re more family than they are.

It wasn’t a question, but rather a hopeful statement. She liked the way the man in front of her carried himself, a true alpha, and tried not to be disappointed when he declined to assist her research. To be honest, his genetics would be perfect; A dominant bloodline that had remained dormant. She glanced over to what she had to work with and sighed at how inadequate he would be. A gust whooshed through the room, stirring her hair and eliciting a yelp of surprise as the book slammed shut. Once more it had garnered her attention and she took a tentative step forward. The copy Urufu referenced was locked in her desk, which she glanced at nervously. He had been through her things? Did that mean he had touched her notes, perhaps even disorganized them? She hadn’t noticed anything out of place but it unsettled her to know that someone had been there without her knowing; just another thing to tip the scales.

I do not have need for things depraved. I do not use puppets and I do not wish to bring people back. Dead is dead and they can stay that way. Yes. Loved ones who are dead do no abandon those left alive. They’ve simply gone away. They shouldn’t stay. I’m not insane, I am distraught. Gone. He left when he was needed. But that’s not important.

She fought the urge to spill what Judori had told her about the Steward being out of the village, keeping from speaking much more due to the fact that she had promised not to tell. Instead she reached for the book that was being held out to her. Without removing it from his hand, she pulled her body forward to the book and placed her ear against its cover. In the weeks prior, she had fought with the moral issue of learning the secrets in her Book of Shadows from Al-Haqquish for more than just educational purposes. Now such a dilemma didn’t bother her; she simply had to know everything so that she wouldn’t be caught unawares ever again. Her eyes closed and her breathing slowed, words barely more than a whisper leaked from her smiling lips as she addressed the inanimate object, comforted by the presence of more knowledge than she already had access to.

Tell me your secrets. I’m listening.

Throughout the whole ordeal, CuRua had taken refuge under an upturned stool, keeping as far from his delusional companion as possible. He needed to be there for her but wasn't certain she wanted him close. The introduction of the disgraced Inuzuka caused his fur to stand on end and a low growl to reverberate through his chest. Yume appeared to be comfortable around the stranger but in her deteriorated state that did little to calm the reynard. For now he would watch.

[MFT; WC:660]

Sand Council

Sand Event NPC
Yen
ASP
Deaths
jogz4Am.jpg

Urufu

"Ah, much like a young pup to mistake the unknown for 'depraved'."<i></i> Urufu had already revealed he had been through her belongings, despite none of it being out of place. "For such an avid learner you cannot be burdened by labels or perspectives when trying to fully grasp how the world and others operate."<i></i>

As Yume positioned herself close enough to the book to touch it, there was another shift in the air as she made a request of it. At first it would sound like moving air and then it would sharpened into a hiss.

Yeeeeeesssssssssssssss

Urufu would step back from the tome and it would remain suspended in midair where Yume stood. The mednin would notice that its cover would feel strangely warm, giving off a heat like that of a living, breathing person might. The book would flip open before her and land on the first page, its contents completely empty to her dismay. As she stood there red dots would appear on the page and soon would spread out, swirling and slithering like a snake beneath the paper. After a moment words would appear.

Sagasu Yume, without father, without mother, without clan.
Left alone with a brother, a pitiless man.
So to abandoned once more by the man of fire, iron, and ore.

What is it you want out of life?
<i></i>

Urufu was watching quietly the interaction between his book and Yume, "You may want to think long and hard about that answer. It may unlock a door you are not yet prepared for, pup."<i></i> The wolfman's eyes shifted to the defensive CuRua hiding beneath the desk. "My answer is the reason why I can understand beasts, why I was able to set things right, and why I comprehend the world like I do. This book has had many owners and through it an innumerable amounts of knowledge poured into it. Just at a taste of your person it can know things about you that not you even know yourself."<i></i>

Turning completely to face the small fox, Urufu knelt down, leaning on the side with the pelt hanging from him so it could peer at Yume's familiar, "Come meet your cousin, Okaru. He does so enjoy meeting other familiars like himself."<i></i>

Sagasu Yume

Yen
ASP
Deaths
She opened her eyes and quickly narrowed them as Urufu corrected her assessment of the book’s knowledge being depraved. She knew the difference between right and wrong and knew that even if something was understood that it could still be depraved. He did hit the nail on the head by advising her to unburden her learning with such labels. It would be better to learn as much as she could and then decide what of it she would practice. Her glower would be interrupted as noises reached her Eustachian canal, causing her eyes to flutter closed as she relaxed with a comforted hmmmm. The book understood her. She could feel it as the warmth spread into her limps and through her whole body; the touch of a friend, a companion, someone that knew her intimately.

Her fingers traces the words, entranced by their slithering motions as if they were flames etching their message onto the virgin leaves. The question was so simple: What did she want? There was always the knee-jerk reaction of what she wanted now but it was indeed a larger preposition. She wanted many things. She wanted to know everything that could keep her from getting left behind. She wanted to know things about the future. She wanted to know things about the past; about what had happened to her father. Yes this was not a question to be answered lightly, so perhaps a game? Since the bond she felt with the tome was akin to that of her and CuRua, it was worth trying to see if it could understand her thoughts.

That’s an unfair question coming from something with such knowledge. I could ask to know everything and you would inform me what a dormouse is up to three blocks away. No, that is a foolish question to answer in haste. So why don’t we just talk, or is that level of sentience beyond you? What is your name?

To the outside world the Mednin would be silent, staring intently at the pages with a vacant expression, almost as if she could see through the book and was gazing upon her palms as they coddled the spine. Even CuRua was in the dark as she had shut him out from her mind. This left the fox to the whims of Urufu for the time being. If only this was all a dream and he could wake his companion with a bite. No, she was in control of her actions. Hackles raised, he puffed out his tail as the wolfman approached his hiding place, shrill barks and yowls booming from his small frame.

You’re an abomination. Yume can’t see it. She’s too nice to everyone and you’re taking advantage of that. You can clearly see her mind is all but shattered and you give her a volume that could make that a permanent state. I’ve seen what her other book contains and if that is a ‘clean’ version, then I could only imagine what this one holds. And another thing! Familiars are only meant to be worn by their companions or their direct descendants upon a decent end to their life. You wear Okaru like a trophy. You are a disgrace.

The fennec was all bravado. He knew there was nothing he could do against Urufu, that both he and Yume were entirely at the stranger’s mercy, but he would rather go down with dignity than on his back and cowering. If only Yume didn’t have a crippling need to learn things, he would have already convinced her to abandon the facility and help the village; Return to the hospital and assist her clansmen. His paws trembled and his shoulders shook but his gaze was aflame with a challenge to the wolfman. If he tried to do anything to Yume against her wishes, he would have to go through him first.

[MFT; WC: 645]

Sand Council

Sand Event NPC
Yen
ASP
Deaths
jogz4Am.jpg

Urufu

I am Sanban, The Third.
A compendium of magics and knowledges old.
I may only answer, if you wish it so.
Pose question, riddle, or query
and be met with glee or woe.
<i></i>

Lost with the numerous artifacts of The Four Winds, the tome of living knowledge, otherwise known as Sanban, was an ancient spirit bound to a book from the times before ancients and men. There was the first, which created all. Then there was the second, which provided balance. And then there was the third, which would make a record of the whole world should it be reset; the age of ancients and men would be forever archived. Not even Urufu truly knew the origins of the book he held. It simply was a question he had never bothered to ask it.

Observing the small fox, Urufu almost seemed hurt by the accusations.

"If Yume continued to delve deeper and deeper into her madness and eventually reached such a state that she was going to bring the end of times upon us, would you wish for her to be put our of her misery or would you just exist and watch as your companion became a twisted and distorted shell?"<i></i> A scarred, callused hand reached up and fondly stroked the head of the wolf he wore. "I freed Okaru from his master due to a similar insanity. To see my clan descend into bigotry and isolation was not a way for it to prosper. Okaru was a proud beast, one that loved both his family and his companion, but too saw the same error I did. No matter what you may think of me, I did him a kindness by not having him watching his master descend into madness."<i></i>

An eerie green aura rolled off of the wolfman and slowly, like stepping out from a painting, the canine on his shoulder took a step forward and reanimated, each step bringing it back to life. Define muscles, gleaming white fangs, and the shining coat displayed as if a beast reborn. A noble familiar from a man undeserving.

"And what of me, little fox? Does my existence disturb you as well?"<i></i> There was a deep baritone, a booming resonance that made him sound like a leader. A hero giving a speech to rally the troops. "I can admit that it was a travesty to witness the death of my owner and not join him on that journey. I allowed for his decisions and his actions that alienated many people. A second life in which I get to reflect on my past one is a fitting punishment."<i></i>

Upon resting his hind quarters down, the head of the dire wolf would match Yume in height. A regal and majestic beast that would have personified the bestial respect required of an Inuzuka leader.

"Only once you have stopped looking at things in such a black and white manner will you understand that sometimes great evil must be done before the greater good can be achieved."<i></i>

Sagasu Yume

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The Third? Then there are at least two others? Or is it simply Sanban, meaning the Third and it is just your name? How many like you are there? And what about the book I already have, is it like you? I could surmise that you’re different as it does not speak to me but to be honest I have never spoken to it. Ah, that’s a lie. I speak to all my books, but not like this. Where are the others? I could collect you all… give you a home. No, no. That’s silly. One thing at a time.

CuRua let out a small whimper as he struggled to hear what her mind was saying but all that came through were sounds of someone speaking under water. When he stopped trying everything fell deathly silent leaving his head to his own thoughts. She was keeping him out on purpose. His lowly whimpering would become defensive growls as he looked back to Urufu once more, wishing the man would give him a reason to strike out but his words stung deeper than any fist.

I’ve been in madness far longer than she has. Isn’t that what love ultimately is, a madness that addles the mind if it is not returned and merely a mutual obsession if it is? I’m a selfish companion; morals do no drive my actions. I would stay with her through her madness and do what I could to keep her safe but I would be unable to end her, going so far as to stop those who would try…

Every Inuzuka knew the story of the disgraced leader and his familiar but to many of them it was just a tale, a legend, of what happens when someone becomes power hungry. The disgrace came from being defeated by a perceived outsider and acted as a warning to the children to be wary of all who did not have their family traits. It was because of this man that Shinji was despised. The explanation of his actions piqued the foxes attention; the logic was sound. These were not the words of a power ravaged madman but the reasoning of a clansman who embodied the pride of an Inuzuka. It was becoming harder to hate Urufu with each passing second.

The appearance of the lost pack alpha triggered an instinct in CuRua that caused him to bow low to the ground, paws extended forward and eyes diverted down. He didn’t have to speak to convey his authority but his voice filled the young familiar with a weight that kept him prone.

Your existence isn’t for me to comment on. Whether I find it appropriate or not is irrelevant.

Across the room, Yume’s head would tilt to the side as the new presence tickled at her skin, bringing her hairs to stand on end. Closing the book, she balances it on her head as she maneuvers to all fours and crawls to where the three were grouped together. Pushing up to a crouch, she balances easily on the balls of her feet as she looks the ancient familiar over. If the book was protesting to being her hat, she ignored it for the moment, choosing instead to point to each one in turn as she spoke their name.

Urufu… CuRua… Okaru

It didn’t need to make sense to anyone else but something had twigged in Yume’s brain to make her place a pattern with their names. Finishing with Okaru, she reached up to touch his fur with the curiosity of a child, working her way from his chest to behind his ear if he would let her. The concern CuRua held as she advances was palpable but he held his tongue. She wouldn’t have listened anyway.

[MFT; WC: 627]

Sand Council

Sand Event NPC
Yen
ASP
Deaths
jogz4Am.jpg

Urufu

Saisho, The First, is creator of all.
Shoki, The Second, bring balance to the world.
One to start, one to end, one to recall.

Life, Death, and Memory are not to be changed.
Scattered to the sands are we, for the best.
As mere mortals and ancients are deranged.
<i></i>

All noticed the crazed Yume approach and much like she observed specimens, they observed her in her new state. Okaru's fur bristly, but it held a glossy sheen to it despite the canine having been long dead to the world. Regardless of his tendencies, he allowed the Inuzuka female to poke and prod and feel across him, but none of her attempts at pleasing the canine were successful. While Okaru was present, his body was nothing more than a shell for him to inhabit, it did not carry all the same nerves and strains that a physical body used to. This was not a form in which he wished to be able to derive such pleasures from either. He had submitted himself to a self-damning punishment in this life for his inaction in the previous one.

I am no longer your Alpha, little fox. Rise. You do not answer to me, but only to your companion, as is your job.<i></i>

Halfway through the comment, Urufu had reached up to Sanban and placed a firm palm on its cover. There had been a brief glow and shift in the air and as Okaru was finishing, Yume would be able to hear his exchange with her familiar. Sanban was responsible for many a wondrous trick, and it was why Urufu could both shackle Okaru to him, but also understand CuRua in such a clear and concise fashion. Through the same magics, Yume could too since her blood had been absorbed for keeping and in essence was forever tied to the ancient tome.

"What of you, Yume? Do you wish to question Okaru? He is sworn to always be righteous and forthcoming to all of his clan, as repentance for his crimes."<i></i>

The mighty black dire wolf stood tall, and did not falter at the harsh words. 'Crimes' might have been drastic in comparison to what actually had happened, but Okaru took it upon himself to consider his actions unforgivable. People that he was suppose to protect, part of his pack, had suffered under his stayed paw and his companion had gone through great measure to inflict cruelty upon their own. Unacceptable actions had happened under his watch and he knew that in this life he would spend all his time making sure that such crimes would not be allowed to withhold.

Sagasu Yume

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Getting no response, Yume sat down on the floor next to her fox and pet his silky coat. Despite the tense atmosphere, CuRua allowed himself a moment of pleasure and leaned in closer to his companion. Her face told him that she wasn’t well but she certainly wasn’t ignoring him any more. He tried not to take it personally but independent of species, males generally don’t do well with rejection. For a moment, she would look down and smile, proof that her addled state had the hope of being mended. In the next breath it was gone and her fingers were working mechanically while her expression was neutral. Her eyes were wide but not forced open as they focused on the tower of a man in front of her. He posed a rather unique offer but she wasn’t interested at all in what the previous Alpha Companion had to say. No, she wanted something else.

Sanban spoke to me. Answered a question and opened up so many more. That’s what books are good for you know, inspiring thought and quenching the desire to know. I beg your pardon but while CuRua and I are Inuzuka we’re not really part of the clan. They threw out Shinji for not being like them and we left with him. They wanted us to stay but Shinji is my family and they are simply blood.

Her face fell, eyes diverting to the floor as she was caught up in another thought. Her brow creased and she appeared to be a moment away from and outburst. As quick as it came, the emotions vanished and she snapped her focus back up to Urufu.

But you’re family. You’re like Shinji and like me. They didn’t want you either. May I borrow Sanban? Or would you come by frequently and let me read the tome? He spoke of two others, Saisho and Shoki… do you know them? Have you found them too?

She wasn’t entirely certain who or what the other two were but if there were three and they made a whole then in her mind it was best to have the set, for no other reason than to understand the total.

A beginning and an end. Yes that sounds like a book… though it also sounds like an Alpha and an Omega… the head and the underdog. Perhaps a leader and his made? And one to recall. Sanban is a journal then? Maybe memories of the first two? Or letters? Did they research together? Hmmmm…. So many questions.

Stepping up onto her lap, CuRua responded to Okaru’s admonition and snuggled up to his friend. She might not be well but he had to stay with her. Nuzzling her leg with his nose, he glances up and sees her glazed look and lets out a huff. She was thinking again but everything was silent.

[MFT; WC: 478]

Sand Council

Sand Event NPC
Yen
ASP
Deaths
jogz4Am.jpg

Urufu

Urufu smiled at the young girl and nodded. Okaru turned his attention the the remainder of the lab and others noises in the distance. The giant black and white wolf vanished into the maze of hallways leaving his companion alone for the moment. Urufu was a walking legacy or redemption and reclamation, but also a cursed soul that would forever be destined to have seen his clan doused in blood to only see it revisit its old ways. Having returned to Sand and to hear the stories of this girl made his heart heavy with sorrow. The fools had not learned and they probably never would. Only when staring extinction in the face would they realize their follies and repent for all they had done.

The wolf man quirked an eyebrow up at the girl. She had posed a question to Sanban that had taken him years to ask. Unfortunately, his all-consuming need to get revenge had blinded him to what it was he had discovered.

He shook his head, "Yes, Yume, I know of both Saisho and Shoki."<i></i> He paused for a moment and then continued. "But no, I do not have them. They are powers that are not to be trifled with. Saisho hasn't ever been discovered, but I am certain Sanban knows where it is. As for Shoki, Sanban has hinted towards Primus and The First Men having possession of it during their battle with the Ancients."<i></i>

Suddenly, he looked quite cryptic and rubbed his chin in thought before gazing down onto the young Inuzuka, "That is what Shoki is. It is the destroyer of races, of worlds, of planes. When nature is out of order, it brings balance by eradicating the problem and allowing something else to flourish. It is a power better left lost. This way it leaves it to us men and beasts to settle things our own way."<i></i> Stretching out the length of his arm, the old Inuzuka yanked Sanban back to his own grip by some unseen force and promptly put it back onto his belt and fastened it shut. "However, Sanban tends to not speak in direct answers, only in parts. You will have a chance to ask it questions again, but when your mind has had a chance to mend itself. Sanban can drive the sane crazy, and the crazy to oblivion."<i></i> While he had come to the laboratories with a different intent, he couldn't help but feel for this young clanswoman and her familiar. They understood the trials and hardships caused by the bigotry he had overcome as well and in that same note, he could see the addled state Yume was in, as if CuRua hadn't already blamed him further for her mindset.

"Now tell me, young kit, what has your mind frenzied? Provide me with an answer as honest as Sanban had given you."<i></i>

Sagasu Yume

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The young maiden was left empty handed; reaching after the tome in hopes that it would return the same way it had left. Grasping her hands together, she pulls them back to rest above her heart as if she were keeping something safe. The ease with which Sanban was retrieved from her hands made her fear that what was left inside of her could be just as effortlessly removed. Her lips trembled, forming voiceless words as her gazed shifted out of focus, fingers twisting around each other as she took in Urufu’s comments. Slowly she gained resonance as her hushed tones carried out what she had been repeating.

I’m not crazy… I’m not crazy… I need to get to him. My…

The words caught in her throat as tears rippled over emerald pools, cascading down her cheeks when the dams burst. She still had trouble calling Sousuke her mate, even though that was what she considered him. They had discussed caring and mutual affection but she hadn’t the opportunity to really discover the depth of their involvement and courtship. They had both been too busy with their work and research to have had any time together.

For a moment the silence hung as she recalled their first meeting at the Winter King festival a few years ago. It wasn’t meant to be anything. She wasn’t the sort to weasel into good standing with the village powers for her own gain. No, she had just enjoyed his company and CuRua had caught his interest enough to prompt a kit-napping resulting in a date of sorts to teach the Steward something he didn’t know: cooking. The memories continued to flow as she searched for exactly what they were, feeling a stab when she remembered what it felt like to kiss him. It was wonderful and still she had no words to use. Wracked with torment, she covered her face and howled as grief over took her frame.

My mate… is gone… and now the village in danger. Broken. Attacked… and Chaos. Destroying our work… His work… My work. These beasts that are less than those of us who befriend beasts… Destroying what is beautiful because of the foolery of our parents. Why is it, that punishment is never enacted upon those who deserve punishment? Why can’t those who are innocent leave and the battle be fought by those who have wronged?

Her blotchy face turned up and her hands gripped the towering man with the strength of a madwoman. The tears streaked her skin but the wells had long since dried up. What was once a bemoaning shell came to life with ire.

WHY URUFU? I didn’t choose to be born in this hole and yet here I am. I wanted to see the stars. I wanted to travel the rivers and howl from the mountains. Why do the beasts run free and yet we hid in this cavern? If I let her out no one would live… if I let her out, we could break free… But she’s not safe. She hurts people and doesn’t care what happens to them. She cares for those she loves and little else. I can’t do that. I can’t let her free so I stay here. I know these walls and what it contains. We will be safe here.

Slumping down to the floor, she lands unceremoniously on her rear with a thud and scoops her fennec into her arms, rubbing her cheek against the back of his head as he nuzzles against her shoulder. Safety was a matter of perspective.

[MFT; WC: 596]

Sand Council

Sand Event NPC
Yen
ASP
Deaths
jogz4Am.jpg

Urufu

There it was.

That welling up of emotion that he had sensed in the Inuzuka. A floodgate was finally released and everything came rushing forth all at once. The madness gripping at her soul, at her very essence was the same that had taken him to finding Sanban and enacting his vengeance upon the clan all those years ago. Crazed thoughts would ravage the normal person that lived the everyday part of their existence and threaten to overtake them. This 'other' she hinted at was an entity Urufu too carries within himself. It is through Sanban and Okaru that he maintains his sanity. A secret he had never told to anyone else.

Unfurling the barbed chain from his waist and the book holster from his belt, he laid them onto the table CuRua had been hiding under only moments before. Carefully, he sat down onto the floor, crossing his legs under himself. Okaru strode up and laid down next to him, keeping his head up and peering at the group.

"You ask many questions that, once searched for, you already have the answers too."<i></i> He spoke calmly, seeing family in pain brought his alpha to the service and he needed to right these wrongs if he could. "It is a sad fact of life that the wrong will flourish because they will do what good, decent folk will not or will inevitably drive them towards."<i></i> A recap on Urufu's own life. "This village is not destined to stay in this cave and it will see the light some day, in the future, after it overcomes the adversities confronting it now."<i></i> That said a lot about the wolfman and where he stood on their attack on the village..or it spoke towards their true motives.

"But, let me ask you, young kit, if you are here, how do you protect those you love? I made a similar mistake decades ago and it drove me into the infamous slayer of your clan's leader, a boogie man for the young welps to behave themselves."<i></i>

Sagasu Yume

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Tear stained cheeks lifted from the nape of her companion's neck as she searched Urufu’s face with red rimmed eyes. Her lip was clenched between white teeth to keep it from trembling as her brow squeezed tight in thought.

There are few I care about enough to protect. Shinji has Ika now… he can protect himself. CuRua is here with me and Sou… my mate was trapped above so it is my responsibility to make sure the notes are safe. Research can be destroyed in seconds and will take years to reproduce. As for the injured and sick, there are plenty of other capable people. I have work to do.

Her cognition was in order enough to stop from saying Sousuke’s name aloud. She had promised Judori that she wouldn’t tell anyone that he was on the surface but there were few that really knew what was going on between the two of them. To most people, Sousuke didn’t seem like the relationship type and until they had spent more time together Yume hesitated to let that kit out of the bag.

But he’ll come back. He has to… he must have had a reason to not tell me he was leavin. He’ll come back… he wouldn’t abandon me… abandon the village like that…

Screwing up her lips in contemplation she reaches up and cups Urufu’s face in her hands. Pricks of stubble tickled her palms as she leans in and places a kiss on the alpha’s nose. He felt safe to the terrified Inuzuka; a leader in the chaos.

You don’t seem that scary to me.

Sitting back she looks down and pets CuRua’s fur, gaze unfocused in contemplation and she considers his admonition.

You sound like my friend Uri, you know that? He always talks about see the surface and how beautiful everything was before we came under ground. Urufu-sama… if they’re bad people… why do we let them live? Animals cull those who endanger the pack. I know my research has benefitted from the use of criminals before but I have always given them the choice to participate… but truly, if they are so terrible that they would kill indiscriminately for the sake of fun and have no compassion on the beauty of life, why let them live?

She did have the answers but she didn’t have the resources. She wasn’t a fighter. She was a healer, a scientist. No, she did have the resources. Sanban was a resource and her Book of Shadows contained much of the same information, though much more tame. It wasn’t much of a leap to take the principals of magika and translate them into useful jutsu however that wasn’t the biggest difference between the books. Sanban contained many advanced techniques that were morally ambiguous or flat out uncouth but were certainly more effective than taking the high road. It was a sore spot for Yume; at what point do the ends no longer justify the means?

Sand Council

Sand Event NPC
Yen
ASP
Deaths
jogz4Am.jpg

Urufu

Part of Yume's sanity had seemed to set back in, forcing her to look at her instincts, to trust what her body was telling her and not her mind. That was why she felt a connection with Urufu, it was the animal part of her seeing the companion in the ferocious man. The thought of bringing fear upon one such as herself seemed almost a crime, but he had been a part of what was going on above, a willing part, a member of people who had a bone to pick with Sunagakure and were given the opportunity to.

"Because you are family, I do not bare my fangs."<i></i>

Family was a broad concept in a world where people's live spans were often before forty and children were trained as assassins. Urufu had spent much of his time alone after his self-imposed exile, spending only time with the chained spirit of Okaru. An irony that was not lost on the man. Yume offered him a chance to reclaim part of his humanity, a daughter to have after having lost his. If he were not as controlled emotionally as he needed to be in order to carry out this mission, he would have entered into a perilous exchange that would have threatened to turn him against his allies.

Simply, he replied, "I do not."<i></i>

He sat there for a moment, hand now resting a top Okaru's head, the creature finding some comfort in it and moving against his palm; a reaction Yume had failed to get earlier.

"But the difference between humans and us is that they are bound to society by rules, laws, and expectations. Leaders do not openly slaughter people for fear of rebellion or war with other factions. Tip-toeing that line is what politics is in so less words. I took the life of the clan's leader so many years ago because he committed atrocities that had to be answered for. All it takes is for one animal,"<i></i> The term was being used when talking about himself or Yume, having seen the beast lurking inside her, "To snap and devour the evil. A myth is born from the evil of that decision and they are considered the wrong-doer. Organized society allows for evil to exist because they play its rules like a children's board game. Your friend Uri is a traveler, yes? He can so easily think the rest of the world is better than here because he does not just see one place compared to another, but several. All have their flaws, their evils, but only Sunagakure claims to be righteous and just and allows for castes to exist, criminals to extort its people. I am not a zealot like some, but I do agree with some of their thoughts concerning this village."<i></i>

Sagasu Yume

Yen
ASP
Deaths
It took all she had to repeat the mantra in her head I’m not an animal. I’m not an animal. The moment she accepted it was the day that she lost her fight and gave in to the primal urges that rumbled in her belly. It was soothing, in a way, just listening to Urufu speak; giving her something to focus on that wasn’t her own troubling contemplation. He was correct about the board game. The amount of hoops she had to jump through in order to receive authorization to perform her tests whether her subjects were alive or dead was enough to drive any one mental but she convinced herself that there was purpose to the order. That purpose was what made them more civilized than the criminals that subscribed to no law. But lawlessness had come to Suna and if the majority would not listen to reason was it best to move them by force? Her gaze listed to Sanban, pondering how to fight fire with fire and what part of her soul she would have to sell to achieve such power.

Were we any better when we were above ground? Has the cave made us detached and pious? Or is the cave the physical manifestation of our attitude? I would like to see the world for myself but I care too much for the village to just leave. While some might deserve the fate, there are many young ones who do not need to be punished for their parents.

Getting to her feet, Yume starts to shuffle papers around, stacking them into neat piles after carefully counting each sheet. The compulsion was just another way to keep her mind away from the reminder of what was going on outside of Keystone. A soft tune would begin to reverberate from her lips and once she was happy that her workstation was in order, she moved behind her living specimen to inspect the sites of her needles. Ever so slightly she twisted them, re positioning the points and causing an anguished scream to echo out from the man. Just as it started, the sound stopped though his mouth remained agape. His eyes were wide in terror and his heart raced; she didn’t need a stethoscope to know that he was red lining. With a gentle hand, she closes his mouth but leaves his eyes open; he wasn’t seeing reality at the moment any way. It was an unfortunate side effect to the positioning of the needles that it would cause the most traumatizing day terrors to surface in the patients mind. Usually she would use medication to offset the terror but she had no sympathy for the man. Taking out another needle, she taps it in behind his ear just under the base of his skull. The pace of his heart would remain rapid but it would be enough to stop him from going into cardiac arrest. She didn’t need him dying; not yet. Turning back to her visitor she gives him a bright smile.

Urufu… you should visit auntie and say hallo to the family. I’m sure they’ve missed you. It would do the pups good to learn about the forsaken members of their clan.

It spoke volumes of Yume’s opinion on the clan that she would suggest that he should drop by the compound. It wasn’t meant to be a happy home coming, rather a reminder of what becomes of those the clan discards when they become too self-righteous. She was too polite to cause harm to her namesake personally but that didn't stop the wish of retribution from being there.

Sand Council

Sand Event NPC
Yen
ASP
Deaths
jogz4Am.jpg

Urufu

Both Urufu and Okaru found that Yume had a certain mechanical side to her that allowed her to function, yet remain intact. That scientific doppelganger would help keep her together in coming days when she were to face the demons of her mind and her village. Light would be brought baring down upon them in such a way that that all would gaze upon their village in disgust. The Inuzuka Clan was the perfect embodiment of all that was wrong in this governmental system, where the just and the righteous were kept down by and the cruel flourished through abuse of the system.

The wolfman laughed, listening to Yume's suggestion.

"If I am to set foot near that compound, I will take a second clan leader's life. His brother was not much a better man than the original. That will take a different animal to dethrone him. My life has already found its peace with the clan."<i></i> Peace was a funny concept. Originally, Urufu had been so consumed with vengeance that he had sold his soul to some supernatural object in order to have the means, but even now he realized how terrible his fate would inevitably be. Sanban consumed knowledge like a sponge did water. Once Urufu was used up, he would become part of the tome. His spirit would not be able to rejoin with his lost family and he regret that blind rage every day, but not the actions he took.

"What purpose does torturing this man serve, young one?"<i></i> Okaru asked.

The implications interested him, as much as a corporeal wolf spirit inhibiting its dead skin could have interests.

"This man lingers near the border of death, seeks it. Wishes for it. What ends do you wish to meet?"<i></i>

Sagasu Yume

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Her gaze is wide-eyed and blank in response to Okaru’s questions. Blinking a couple of times she looks between him and her specimen, trying to quantify his question and formulate her response over the space of a few seconds. Her demeanour expressed just how oblivious she was to the deviant nature of her actions. Finger to her lips, she rolled the question over a couple more times before answering as matter-of-fact and cheerfully as possible.

He was defiling my subject in a rather heinous way. As there is no one enforcing law it is my right to… retain… said criminal. Furthermore, he has offered to take part in my research. He was so eager to supply himself that it would be wrong of me to have denied that privilege, though I do prefer insemination for scientific purposes to be in a sterile and controlled environment. His suffering is merely a side-effect. Killing him would put a secondary countdown on my research. It’s bad enough that poor Mio is dead but to have her beautiful gifts go to waste would be a true tragedy. When she has contributed all she can I will ensure a proper burial with as much of her remains intact as possible. It would do her no good to enter the afterlife without a spleen.

For what it was worth, she was being rather collected about it all. She had personally witnessed Okibi’s wounds after returning from a year of torture in the dunes, documenting it for medical and ANBU records. Rape was not something she enjoyed having to deal with but as one who had never experienced even consensual physical interaction, she had a knack for being detached from the scenario. There was nothing on file in regards to previous violation but the marks of self-harm mingled with evidence of forced penetration made it obvious as to why she took her own life; the chalky white texture on her lips made it pointless to check for cause of death. For those in the medical field, taking life, whether yours or others, was a matter of choice. They had the tools at their disposal on a daily basis and the knowledge to commit the act with little effort or distress on the body. It was often the willpower found in sanity that stayed their hand. Perhaps there was a modicum of sense left… or simply the driving need to have a live specimen.

It is necessity not desire that keeps him alive. I cannot abide those who would defile a helpless for their own lusts. Doesn’t that make me a hypocrite then? For now he is my helpless and I will defile him as I choose.

Her fingers caress over his hair gently, showing how she cared for her ‘patients’, before turning away to the sink. Washing up, she dons gloves and a mask before laying out glass slides, swabs, and petri dishes. There were samples to be taken in order to determine if he would truly suffice as a match. If he didn’t, she would be back to square one. Though there was always the possibility of attempting to splice two female stem-cells mid-mitosis in the hopes of forming a gamete and… No. That clearly wouldn’t work as it would not have proper genetic structure to bond, but it certainly would be a way to pass the time.

[MFT; WC: 568]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back