Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Private Don't Smile at Me [Nanami]

Kushinada Kano

Yen
ASP
Deaths
A thin girl stands tall at the corner of a street, clothes just slightly bigger than her frame, sagging along her arms yet held imperiously at her sides. She's proud and rigid, digging into the concrete with thick combat boots and lifting her head to scan the passerby's of the entertainment district. Her gaze is severe, impervious, a hawk amongst the laughing rabble yet unnoticed by any. Stark white tresses of hair lay straight across her sharp view, steely lavender with occasional glimpses of idealistic light. She is unashamed and bold, her chest thrust forward without being so obvious as to tell of the child she is. She is so very out of place -- but doing her best to own it, making that space hers, placing herself above each and every citizen sprinting lackadaisically down the street.

With a glimpse behind, at closer inspection, her admittedly awkward stance, a stack of shaking boxes can be made out. Cardboard sways and rights itself immediately at a pointed look from the girl, her fingers twitching in annoyance but curling into a ball that keeps her restrained. She can be seen whispering out the corner of her mouth, alternating between a stern frown & smiling to herself, a dastardly assuredness to an intimidating expression. When her head turns to face the town once again she is grinning, lifting her arms from her hips to hold out and address the district itself. Her pose is grandiose, her palms upturned, her head craning back in a dramatic fan of her hair that parts her lips and raises her voice.

"Go now, my underworld fiends! Feast upon the - m, mem? -- m, me, mer - merriment of these unsuspecting revelers! The night is yours! Glory is ours! For your Queen, drink in the lights of humanity and devour it all!"

Her speech turns heads ; earning some puzzled looks and bemused responses, some older pedestrians chuckling behind their hands so as not to be too obvious while they continue their business. She does not seem focused on them, every eye on her itself feeding her fantasy enough to keep it moving onward. Her declaration is ended -- and at its finality, several small children burst forth from the "hidden" boxes and come stumbling out, giggling madly. They throw their arms out to their sides and sprint forward, running through the street and cutting through groups of people all while hooting & hollering. They are harmless. Their goal are food stands they snicker devilishly afront of while politely paying for takoyaki when pointed at, and arcades they can bustle into with excited screams that are replaced with smaller "aaa"s and laughter among themselves when told to be quieter.

Kano Kushinada considers this a sure victory over the Susukino District and joins the gaggle - with haughty, heavy steps following behind them and her head held high. Tonight, her people reign.

Last edited:

Nanami

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Nanami laid out like a star as she stared up at the night sky. The lights here dulled the view, but provided a secondary color in the form of the sounds of people bustling happily below her. Susukino was perhaps the most alive place in all of Kumogakure, full of so many people, so many lives, sounds of happiness, and joy. Nanami like this spot nearly more than all the others for that very reason. She liked to imagine that she was one of the people below, normal, free, happy. She liked to wonder what kind of very normal life she might have had, what it might be like to have been some other more normal girl and not a Shinobi. She wondered what it would be like to be someone who was free each day to do whatever they wanted, go wherever they wanted, be whoever they wanted.

She smiled, even if she often dreamed about what could have been she was still happy. There was so much going on these days, she had to admit that she didn't hate her life she was just...scared. Her time in the Academy was coming to an end and that meant her life as a Gennin was about to begin, was she ready for that? She'd go out on real missions, maybe even as a part of a team. People would be counting on her, far more. Was that something she could handle? Was she strong enough?

She watched the stars and wondered.

A sound roused her out of thoughts, 'underworld fiends'? Did she hear that right? Nanami rolled to her feet and peered over the edge and towards the street corner where she saw a similarily white-haired girl standing proud, declaring some kind of outright villainy. She broke a smile as she watched the 'chaos' unfold and had to cover her mouth to hopefully keep from giving away her position. The girl looked familiar, a later year student, Gennin she was pretty sure but her name escaped her. Still, as first impressions went...

Goofball.

Her gang of youths, early year students maybe? Descended upon Susukino and wreaked some form of 'chaos'. She was a little envious and grinned a bit as an idea popped into her mind.

Nanami poised over the edge of her perch and tried to drop down as quietly as possible, approaching the ring leader from behind. When she neared she reached out to grab her by the shoulder and declared in as gruff and commanding a voice as she could muster.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing, huhn!?"

She'd break into a laugh and release the girl a moment later unable to hold up the facade for long.

Kushinada Kano

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"A-ack!"

Kano is understandably startled by the surprise attack, sputtering at first as she stumbled forward ; away from Nanami's hand after she felt it, arms in a flailing frenzy to try and steady herself once again. "A --!" She turns in a flurry of movement, her legs crouched awkwardly and her hands held in front of her in a guarded stance. "Assassin!" She declares, an immediate and poorly controlled flow of chakra sparking around her fingertips.

Before she can loose whatever moderate knowledge of basic Ninjutsu she has, she catches on to Nanami's laughter and narrows her eyes. Her followers hadn't noticed they left her behind and were still about causing mayh - ... a minor nuisance, the occasional echoed laughter or scolding in the distance. They seemed to straighten up under enough scrutiny, so these reactions were more spaced and eventually any antics were untenable.

Kano, however, was focused on the -- surprisingly similarly -- white-haired girl, quickly giving her a once-over while standing up a little taller. Then a twice-over, and a third. "If you've come for the heart of the demon queen, your advance has been poor! You could never defeat me at your current power level!" Kano announces, assuring herself enough of this as she, too, straightens herself to stare down the other. "It seems your fear has gotten the better of you, little student! You cannot control your apre -- aper ... aph? aprehenshion!"

She sported a self-assured grin, hands moving boisterously to her hips as she laughed out loud. "Surprised I know your rank, despite not having met you before!? That is the omniscience of the Queen of Darkness before you! Do not forget it!!" Realistically, Kano took a hunch from the lack of a headband on the smaller girl's person.

Her arm threw itself to the side, highlighting herself as a commander before a war about to be waged. "Come now, hero of justice! Do you seek my undying soul, or to join the ranks of my damned!?" She didn't seem comfortable yelling a cuss. "If it's a fight you want, I warn you -- you're ten thousand light-years from facing me!!"

Nanami

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Nanami's laughter cut short when she saw the crackle of chakra begin to focus. She realized she really didn't know much about this particular Shinobi and she might have made a blunder of trying to pull a trick on the older Gennin. She flinched back but only for a moment, the tension seemed to ease almost as quickly as she'd caused it.

She took her chin in her hands and appraised the girl. God, she certainly had a way about her huhn? Nanami almost didn't even know what she was saying but managed to keep up with some effort. Demon queens, heart-stealing, assassination attempts. What was she even going on about? It clicked suddenly and her smile returned fast. Ahah! This was a game of course! That would explain the youth gang, the weird conversation she was swept up in. She didn't realize Gennin even had a sense of humor but it made sense, they were still kids after all.

Nanami shrunk appropriately at the older girls' withering stare and admonishment. Part of her considered for a moment what her role in this little game might be, but it didn't take her very long to decide. She clasped her hands together dramatically.

"F-forgive me!" she declared in as convincing a snivel as she could manage. "I thought I might be able to take advantage of your back being turned but now I realize it was all just a trick! I was a fool to think that I could defeat you..."

She shifted into a kneeling position, head bowed, gaze turned down to the girl's feet. "Please, I throw myself on your mercy. I will join your ranks, let me prove my loyalty! I would be a fool to challenge you, of course." She remained bowed and awaited her judgment.

Kushinada Kano

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kano Kushinada beamed. Her hands returned to her hips, chest puffed out, a consuming grin lightning up her face. Another convert! How easy this could be, when people just listened. It made her giddy with excitement, a fact she was barely able to restrain as one of her boots scuffed repeatedly against the ground. "I am glad you have seen the error of your ways! Let no one say the Queen of Darkness is not generous and merciful!" Her voice was loud, too loud, everything she said was so loud ; but so filled of something so genuine, so animated. She occasionally received a dirty look as patrons of the district passed by, but she earned just as much laughter and the appraisal silly childish antics earned from adults.

She was, however, taken off guard as Nanami kneeled, not so used to ... well, that level of commitment. Her family were the only group that consistently treated her justly for the way she acted, and now a total stranger, whose intent was at first antagonistic ... She could almost feel her heart swell! She swallowed down the joy that threatened to prick her eyes, instead her lavender gaze on Nanami sparkling as she restrained herself. Poorly. "O-of course! You are a smart girl, little student! You know your limits, and that is deserving of my respect in return!"

O-ho-ho-ho! Kano met her with boisterous laughter, thrusting her hand out boldly to hold it in front of Nanami. "Stand, then, my recruit! You are now a soldier of the empire of darkness! You fear nothing, and no one can hurt you! You are elevated," she leans in a few inches, "and the shadows welcome you!" And there returned that grin, brighter than ever, hair slipping from one of her untidy bows to sprawl across the side of her face and frame her brilliant expression.

"Let us wreak our mischief together, my friend."

Nanami

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Nanami wasn't sure if the girl would appreciate her attempt to join in the little game. She wondered if maybe she was supposed to play the hero instead, but truth told she didn't really want to fight anyway. A shiver ran down her spine, she didn't notice it but instead for a moment grinned wide as she stared down.

She rose up a moment later when called upon to do so and saluted, smiled faintly and flushed faintly, perhaps in part due to a bit of insuppressible embarrassment. It had been a long time since she thought of herself as a kid, and a game like this, well, she knew of the sidelong glances of the patrons of Susukino and what they meant. She was a Shinobi, in training certainly but shouldn't this all be beneath her? Shouldn't she behave a little more seriously given her position? Still, given the energy of her 'dark master' it was hard to dwell on it too long. There was just something about her.

She took in a deep breath of the cool night air and let it suffuse her with the same energy and smiled wide. "What's first, then! O...dark Queen!"

Kushinada Kano

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kano never quite thought of things to the extent Nanami was doing ; it would complicate her perspective, and that seemed like a waste of energy when she was having so much fun otherwise. Sometimes, illusions were good. Not everything you make believe is bad for you. With pride in her chest, a light in her eyes and a glint off the headband secured around her upper arm, Kano grasped Nanami's hand in hers and yanked her to her feet. She was nothing if not assured.

"While my titles are just, I would know of your name, my fel servant! Speak it joy ... joysly? joyously! for you are on top of this world now! We reign!" As she stepped backward, leading the other with her, what commences could only be described - at best - as a dance. She's winding through the thronging streets and twirling the younger girl along, taking half-steps and quick turns of her heel to holler, whoop and announce her presence at every interval. She's making noise, only barely stifled by the various sounds across the Susukino that she instead joined with as if a chorus. Everyone was having fun, and she was pushing herself to the center of it.

There was a clearing of people just down the street where entertainers propped along the sidewalk, playing various instruments that cut through the festivities and drew many a person's eye. Already a small group of 3 of Kano's brigade stood at the fringes of the space the players were given, ooh'ing, aah'ing, and cheering them on in their loudest squeals of delight. Kano, however, didn't stop with them -- she stepped past that invisible barrier and shot them a gleeful glance, lips pricked in a cheshire grin and her fingers refusing to leave Nanami's.

She was now in the certain with the merrymakers: and now she was, in fact, dancing, yowling with excitement and drawing even more patrons to watch. She wasn't very good at it - she would stumble or trip or do a very silly move - but she was so into it, so brimming with giddiness. There were a few gasps of surprise and indignation from the crowd, but the more she continued the more it seemed to bring the musicians further out their shells as well. They soon joined in, standing up to play and swing around while they twirled and bumped together with ringing laughter. The onlooking children couldn't be held from racing out and jumping around the collective, including Kano's own that went along - eagerly - with their "leader."

"Revel, mortals!" She yells, one arm thrown wide and the other still trying to string Nanami along. "For as this village is mine, you are freed from your dreary responsibilities! Revel! Tonight, we give in to our desires!" She speaks with clarity, even when she falls over her words or stutters one she doesn't fully understand -- what matters is the message, and she sings it loud.

Nanami

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Nanami let out a sound of surprise as she was hauled up by the hand. It took her a moment before she returned the grasp and held tight. "My titles...oh! Titles. Nanami, Hideaki! The....bruiser of Kumogakure!" she declared with a goofy grin. Then. with little ceremony, she was then lead, or rather yanked? Away and through the winding crowds of Susukino. She did her best to keep up and watched the older girl with a sense of admiration and curious excitement. There was a little wind in her sails for once, and a nervous quiet fluttering in her stomach.

Nanami almost dug her feet in as they neared the edge of the crowd. Almost pulled her hand free and declared some firm 'Oh no no no,' in vain protest but found she got no further than a mumbled. "Wait what are you-" as she was pulled along by Kano past the wall of people and into the midst of what had now become her stage.

She froze, her hairs stood on end and goosebumps rippled across her skin. She could feel a hundred eyes on her, all of them considering her, thinking about her, weighing her. A hundred alien gazes of strangers. She looked foolish, of course, she had jumped into the middle and she was just...there, taking up their attention, for nothing. This was a lot more than just goofing around with a kid her own age, there were people here, a lot of people!

But she didn't feel that way. She moved to the music her own way, pulled Nanami along without a care in the world, and looked...happy. Everyone around them seemed happy too, just enjoying the moment without fretting consequences that would never come.

Nanami's frozen expression warmed as she was pulled into a twirl, other kids moved to join them, and Nanami began to move as well, a half step, a wiggle, and a sway of her free hand and she found herself for the moment lost in the movement and the moment. She felt a weight leave her she didn't know she was carrying and laughed freely into the night.

The message wasn't important, what was important was just being heard, jumping out into the world and being -alive- in it! For even just one night.

Kushinada Kano

Yen
ASP
Deaths
What matters was being here.

There was a wealth - an overwhelming amount - of affection in Kano's heart as Nanami swayed along with her in their dorky, erratic movements. Every second she saw the other girl slip out of her embarrassment was another surge of invigoration for Kano. She moved faster, stepped harder, giggling victoriously. She was melting into colors, bright and vivid, and she was going to take her new friend with her. Everyone. This was a collection of people highlighted by neon signs and pealing laughter, and the blur of their movements swam together until it was all just colors. This was the goal, wasn't it?

As ninja -- it was important, wasn't it, to live each night like this?

Most of the crowd had joined by this point -- the people still too shy or with other business otherwise would stand at the much larger circle now created, offering spectatorship or passing cheers. This, too, Kano considered a win ; she was on top of the world, at the center of the stage, and it was revolving around her. Even now, with a twirl, she had Nanami revolve, too. Everyone was having so much fun -- she was having so much fun. It worked. She did this, she felt: she brought all this joy. The smile on Nanami's face. The electricity in the air.

The "reveling" as she called it continued, between demons and mortals alike, and Kano could distinctly feel that this was her purpose. This kind of energy ; it made her beam that much wider, shine that much brighter. She trapped the rays of the streetlights and the stars above in every fan of her hair, untidy but glowing. She pulled in Nanami with a tug that would have them pressed chest to chest, an arm around Nanami's back and the other still holding out their arms. She gave a step to the side and then leaned on a foot, dipping Nanami with a flushed smile.

She fell, of course, having stepped at the wrong angle and tilted them over. If Nanami hadn't twisted out of the way fast enough they'd have crumpled to the ground, harmlessly but stunned. It took Kano a dazed moment to recollect herself before she began to laugh uproariously, supporting herself off the ground with her arm whether Nanami was still there beneath her or not. She couldn't stop laughing. She could never, really.

"Kano!" She shouted, not so far above the noise that it'd breach the merriment but enough for Nanami alone to hear. "That's my name! Kano Kushinada!" She didn't get up, only remained in the middle of this swirling mass of vibrancy.

"We're going to be amazing, Nanami Hideaki, bruiser of Kumogakure!"

Nanami

Yen
ASP
Deaths
She just moved, and let the movement, the music and the presence of this strange person wash away her anxiety. Maybe this was had been missing in her time in Kumogakure, others, people like her, people like the others around her. She never really talked to her fellow students, kept to herself, trained on her own. She had her reasons but surely...surely this was okay. She met her gaze with a bright smile and laughed joyously as the crowds surrounded them.

She let out a loud gasp as she was abruptly dipped, for a moment her breath was completely gone, she just stared upwards at the stars, at the lights of Susukino and felt like she was floating. Then, falling as her feet went out from under her. "Wa-...!" she fell to the ground, unable to disentangle her limbs from Kano until it was too late. It was a shortfall but left her stunned none-the-less, least of which because of the undaunted laughter that followed, a peal of good humour matched only by the other girls. She managed to untangle herself and pull herself partway up, leaning on her hands and grinning wide as the revelry continued around the two unaffected.

Her attention was pulled back when she spoke to Nanami. Her name, "Kushinada..." she considered it for a moment, repeated it as if to see how it felt. "..Kano," she said as she climbed to her feet, leaning over to extend a hand in her direction to help her up. She struggled for a moment, considering something in the back of her mind. Were it any other day she probably would have left it there, as a thought, but tonight she took her hand and said, "F-follow me, I want to show you something...!"

And if she did it'd be a short distance away, twisted, winding, dancing her way through the crowds of people to the side of the building where she overheard Kano first.

Kushinada Kano

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Her name felt nice when Nanami said it. Not many people said her name anymore. Not when they weren't yelling in her direction. No, this was nice. Easy. Validating. She beamed at Nanami and nodded enthusiastically as she spoke, before --

Ehh! She was yoinked from her position on the ground, falling over her feet as she often did and struggling to get a balance again while she was tugged along. Was this what it was like when she did it to people? It always felt so easy! Still, she could feel the firmness of Nanami's hold on her hand, the heat of another person's touch -- and she realized it felt nice, too. She was always moving so fast, which wasn't too different at the moment, but she wasn't in the lead this time. She got to take a second and think, see, feel. She got to look at the revelers built up around them while they wound through the mass of bodies, Kano waving enthusiastically with her other hand and accepting high-fives and hollers whenever offered.

"Where are we going!?" She yelled above the noise; not incredulous but excited, giddy, getting into the rhythm of tailing behind Nanami until she was making her own show of it. She couldn't stay out of the spotlight for long. This time, though, she wasn't really the center of it all. As they moved towards the edges to break through, they were another two kids enjoying the night. That's all.

And that was fine.

When they finally settled again Kano had to catch her breath and find her footing, giggles escaping with every heave of air. She didn't think she's stopped moving since she first grabbed Nanami's hand, and now they've done a complete reverse to their starting location. She had to keep herself from falling over, clinging to the other girl's hand for dear life, and laughing all the while. "What!? What is it? Ahahaha!"

Nanami

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Nanami began to giggle as she lead the girl out of the crowd and towards the side of the wall. She could show her how she climbed up, point out the roof where she could hear Susukino, show her the view of the stars and...

Talk?

She felt so silly and laughed in spite of the rush of embarrassment. What was she even doing here? The spell the evening cast had given her the ability to do a lot but not that, not this. Still, for a single night, this was good right? This was progress?

She released Kano's hand and turned to her with a smile, laughter subsiding she just let out an airy sigh and pulled her arm over her chest, clutching her arm with a distant look. "Sorry," she said with another little laugh. "I just wanted to steal you for a moment," she said, "To say thank you for tonight. It was fun..."

Embarrassment caught up with her and her eyes trailed down. She could hold her own in a fight, she had no problem walking up and challenging anyone in her class. Life and death stuff was easy, this though? This though? This stuff was hard.

She looked back up with a softened expression and made her best attempt at it. "I've gotta get going back though, it's getting late, there are classes in the morning, academy stuff! I wanted to say bye before I left." Was it breaking the rules to talk like this? She was suddenly nervous but wasn't sure why somehow this felt trickier than being in the circle had moments prior.

Kushinada Kano

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Her heart seemed to fall from her eyes all at once.

She couldn't help it. The clock struck midnight and Cinderella was fleeing the ball. Nanami's words were a glass slipper, the last thing she would have as she slipped away, slipped through her fingers. Kano had to think of something to say, her arm hanging there, her eyes furrowing and then unfocusing desperately. "But we - we haven't even harvested a-any souls y ... yet..." Her voice trailed off, her fingers outstretched, her body leaning forward to try and compel Nanami to stay.

Then she looked down from Nanami's face. She saw her hand, in the air, reaching out; she looked back up, Nanami's posture, her expression and the breath of her words. Kano knew this moment. She had lived it every time a follower - a friend - graduated from the academy and was too old to play with her anymore. That same sheepish look of embarrassment, the 'I'll definitely talk to you later!' tone in their voice. Kano swallowed, slowly withdrawing her hand until she was wrapped over her chest and quietly watching Nanami speak.

"I understand," and she tried to not let the sadness catch in her voice. She had to get herself together. What was she? Someone who needed other people? No, not her. She was the scariest shinobi to come from the Hidden Cloud, after all! The face of evil! The Queen of Darkness! Even if Nanami walked away, she had other fiends, other dark cultists.

She had to let her go. So Kano shifted, quickly moving her hand to her hip and jutting it out -- fiercely devouring that light back into her eyes until she put her shit-eating grin back together again. She sharply transitioned into her devilishness, guffawing. "Of course! We wouldn't want anyone to catch on to our horrible im.pul.ses! after all. We have to keep up the guise of normal ninja during the day -- for the night is eternal and full of us!""

She nodded enthusiastically. "Just this once your ruler permits you to slip away early! There will always be more havoc to wreak in the future! Go now, before they suspect you! Hurry, my underworld bruiser!"

And she remained there, in that frame, in that stance.

Nanami

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Nanami didn't really notice the signs of Kano's distress, she just smiled wide as her new friend attempted to convince her to stay. Oh right, 'character!' she reminded herself. "The souls will be harvested soon! I'll seek out suitable victims in my time away, we can consider it my first dark task!" She tapped her chin in thought as if considering who might be their first victim. It was easy to be content with this level of the act, she was no longer embarrassed, especially when it was just them.

There was almost a sign that even Nanami couldn't miss, but it was there for only a moment before Kano rallied, came back harder than before and swept Nanami up with it into a brief fit of giggles. She bowed dramatically at the address and the gracious dismissal of her services for the night as she thought she might be expected to.

"Thank you, Kano. I had a lot of fun tonight. I'll come see you again soon, if that's okay?"

She waved happily and turned with a spring in her step, almost literally, as the scrambled up the side of the building to gather her things and vanish into the night. Off she went without delay, sparing only a moments glance back to the festivities and then home to the academy. Once more to face another day the same as any other, but perhaps not exactly the same. Something faint lingered in the air, something new, exciting and delightful. Nanami thought of Kano that night and hoped she might get the chance to see her strange new acquaintance soon.

Kushinada Kano

Yen
ASP
Deaths
I had fun, too.

Thanks for playing.

Kano said nothing, standing there imperiously, nodding enthusiastically, while Nanami said her goodbyes and scampered away up the building. She watched her go, grinning a wicked grin. It was only when she was out of sight, out of my mind, gone again that Kano let out a sigh and slumped a little in place. She wished she hadn't heard "I'll see you again" so many times as to lose its meaning. She would, wouldn't she? In the streets, as she gallivanted around? The look Nanami would give her, something between shame and pity, noting how Kano was really growing into her clothes - growing up, but never quite getting there.

Kano couldn't think about it. She wouldn't. She ruffled up her clothes, mused out her hair, and breathed again. She had fun, right? They both had fun. Even if Nanami never came to play again, they would always have tonight. Tonight, which wasn't over yet for Kano. She wouldn't let it be! There was so much more to do. They hadn't even made it to the water balloons and fireworks ...

So she turned on her heel, faced the bustling street, and returned with a genuine smile. Let the game begin anew.

[ TOPIC END ]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back