Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Hide and Seek [S-Rank]

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
It had occurred to Makoto, on his way to Soon's Haven and his favourite hangout that evening, that most people would pick a bar to hang out in that did not involve a half hour of travel time and being let out and into a ninja village. It had also occurred to him that he didn't have much trouble in either of those things, so it was a bit of a moot point.

Contrary to the phoenix's prediction, it was still asleep most of the time. He had worried a bit that it would stay asleep for years again, but it had been awake when he had woken that morning (well--technically morning. Eleven AM was technically morning.), and reassured him it was merely somewhat tired and groggy and would need a bit more rest, not exhausted and wounded to the point where it would sleep for a long time.

It was...strange, how used to it he had gotten over the past few years. It felt oddly quiet inside his own mind, and if he hadn't an excellent memory he wouldn't have remembered what it was like to be so alone inside his head. It was not an entirely pleasant sensation, either.

Still, it wasn't permanent, and it wasn't painful--just mildly discomfiting. So he put up with it.

(Wonder of wonders--did it mean he was becoming a sociable person? Well, maybe not that far, but he actually enjoyed some people's company these days. It was still rather different from when he'd only grudgingly tolerate most people other than one or two. (Because the phoenix was asleep, it wasn't able to remind him that even based on his own memories, this had never actually been true.))

Either way--he did enjoy the Birdhouse bar, and he was even becoming somewhat of a regular, for the time he was in the country. Not that he drank a lot--not comparatively for his alcohol tolerance, anyway--it was just a place to go where there were people he got along with.

So when he sat down at his customary seat at the bar, it wasn't long before another regular greeted him, and fairly soon everyone in the area, including him, had drinks.

It also meant he noticed when a couple around his age slunk in, upset. They, too, were regulars.

Makoto didn't need any prodding from Emiko this time; he went over to them and inquired as to what the trouble was. He was acquiring a sixth sense (or...an additional sense, anyway; even before factoring in his actual so-called sixth sense, people had a lot more than five senses) for when a problem was ninja-solvable.

"it's our little girls," the mother explained. "They were supposed to get in an hour and a half ago, and one of the officers at the edge of the city said they left and haven't come back in yet."

"How old are they?" he asked, curious. He was surprised they would be allowed out in the first place.

"Just turned eleven," the father said. "Can you..."

"Tracking is one of my specialties," Makoto replied, because it technically was. "Do you have anything of either of theirs with you so I can get a fix on them?"

The parents traded a startled look, but the mother fished a hair ribbon out of her purse. "Well, yes, actually. But she hasn't used it in a couple of weeks, is that all right? I kept meaning to give it back to her, her teacher said she left it by the washroom sink at school during our conference with her."

"As long as she has used it and it is hers, yes," he said, brushing a finger over the green ribbon. He mentally filtered out the signature of the mother, then a second one that was within the boundaries of the district and quite a lot weaker which must have been the teacher--who had probably held onto it for a short time at least. "Mm. All right. They would probably stick together?"

They traded another look, and Makoto made a note to himself to make sure his brother and Sheimi didn't do that with each other the next time he was around them both. Being inevitably related to Kiyomizu Sheimi was likely to make his life a lot more interesting if it was on the horizon.

"Yes," the mother said. "Probably."

So he headed out to the desert, following the trail the ribbon had given him.

He was rather hopeful when it turned out the trace led him to barely outside of the oasis, in an area that was still flat instead of marked by giant rising and falling dunes. So too, was it a good thing that they had apparently left voluntarily, according to the parents' story. 'Missing children' brought to mind all sorts of other possibilities, none of them pleasant.

He cleared a small hill to where the trace was, and was just coming down it when he spotted a young girl with a red ribbon in her hair chasing around one with no ribbon at all. He glanced at his pocket, where the green one lay, and gave a small sigh. At least there was a way to tell the otherwise-identical children apart; he was mostly used to fraternal twins, not identical.

"Hey," he called, "you know you're not supposed to be out here?"

They had heard him, he knew they had, as both stopped abruptly, the be-ribboned one skidding on the sand a bit and her sister stopping just short of running into her. They both looked guilty, as if they knew better.

(They should. Eleven year olds weren't stupid, as much as they pretended to be.)

"We have passports!" the one with loose hair blurted, and her sister groaned and facepalmed.

"Great way to sound guilty, idiot," the ribboned one said, scowling as Makoto made his way over to them, in no real rush. "We didn't even do anything wrong this time!"

There was undoubtedly a story behind that 'this time' but he wasn't particularly concerned about it.

"Hmm, I guess that means you two aren't the twins who ran off into the desert and have their parents miserably worried about them," he drawled, stopping ten feet away from the pair. "My mistake, I must be looking for some other pair of eleven year olds wandering the desert out here. I'm sure there's so many."

"You can't prove anything," the red-ribboned one began, but was cut off when he pulled an identical ribbon, save for colour, out of his pocket and dangled in front of him.

"Hey, that's mine!" the other one said suddenly. When her sister turned to glare at her, she covered her mouth and gave a muffled, "oops."

"It doesn't really matter, since I knew it was yours anyway," Makoto informed them. He let a brief flare of blue-green chakra on his hand become visible. Apparently realizing defeat, the two of them trudged over and the one with loose hair accepted her ribbon back.

"They called a ninja on us," the red-ribboned one said sulkily. "No fair."

He decided not to bother mentioning that he was one of their parents' bar buddies. "You really aren't old enough to be out here by yourselves, especially these days. What on earth possessed you to come out here?"

Especially since the one possessed seemingly at least a little bit of sense. It might have been a lot harder to find her, were her sister not apparently scatterbrained.

"We were just playing," the red-ribboned one said with a shrug. "The city's not too far. We can still see the oasis and everything...sort of."

"Mmhm." He glanced at the other one, who was busy tying her green ribbon back into her hair as she wove a path behind them slightly. "You know, I'm not a twin, but my brothers are. And between you and me? You're never going to get away with anything if you don't get her a better poker face."

Red Ribbon blinked twice, as if she hadn't expected unsolicited advice, then scowled. "Yeah, well. Easier said than done."

"I know what you mean," he said with a sigh. "But she can't be a complete lost cause. You two should find something to do that could help her learn to act better or something."

"Drama club at school," she said instantly. "I bet the teacher who runs that could cure her of the giggles she gets on stage. She's real strict."

"Is it really that important?" Green Ribbon complained, coming up to walk with her sister.

"If you want to have fun and look innocent afterward," Makoto said cheerfully. "Do you think you can try and play along when your sister tells your parents you got lost so the two of you can mostly stay out of trouble?"

Red Ribbon looked surprised again while Green Ribbon thought. "I mean...I can try? But I get giggly."

"Just try and think of how much danger you were actually in wandering the desert on your own," he advised. "That should make you not-giggly. And if all else fails, cover your mouth and scrunch up your eyes; it'll look like you're trying not to cry."

Red Ribbon was eying him speculatively. "You must have overprotective parents, too."

"Older brothers," he told them as they reached the city gates. "In my case? Much the same thing."

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back