Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

If there's no bread... {Free RP}

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Somewhere…

Sunlight danced through the leaves as a soft wind stirred the sighing trees. The trees surrounded a small clearing, their limbs arching high overhead creating a cathedral in the forest. Sitting in the center of the clearing was a great wolf; his fur was white as fresh snowfall on a winter morning, and his eyes a glacial blue. He sat patiently, unmoving before a large stone archway that held an iridescent glowing light. The gate stood centered in the remnants of a wall, a ruin of a lost time. Bookcases lined the wall to the left and right of the gate, each one filled with dusty old tomes and scrolls. The titles on their spines were written in dozens of strange languages. If one were to simply reach out and pull one off the self and begin reading, they would never be able to stop, not until the end of time.

The clearing was only a few yards wide, and it ended in a babbling brook, its waters beginning at the corner of one edge of the wall and wrapping around to the other, creating an oval of grass. Across the brook, the forest continued into eternity. A path of stepping stones reached across the brook, leading to a small, well-worn path that wove through the trees. If anyone took so much as one step inside, they would be forever lost.

Snow Dog, a great spirit from another realm, was waiting.

A minuscule movement from between the trees caught his well-trained eye. Soon a lone figure could be seen walking down the path and crossing the stepping stones. It was The Author. He wore leather combat boots, and a green multicam combat uniform. A patrol cap covered his head so that only the freshly shaven sides were visible; and his face was clean-shaven as well. When his hazel eyes met those of the wolf, a smile graced his features. It was a small smile, no more than the upturning of the left corner of his mouth.

”Welcome back, friend.” The wolf spoke, his voice cold and hard like the frozen tundra. ”I wasn’t expecting you so soon.”

”Neither was I; but, there was a change of plan.” Where he had gone, he had anticipated a lengthy absence from his Library Arcanum. ”I was sent for specialized training and reassigned. I should be able to come here as much as I wish. Well, within reason, of course.” The Authors duties would always take priority over his favorite pastime.

”Of course. So… who will it be this time?”

The Author approached his old wooden desk near the corner of the glade and took a seat in his well-worn leather armchair. On the desk lay a quill and an ancient leather-bound tome. Flipping the book open to a blank page, he picked up the quill.

”You know what they say…” He said, dipping the tip of the quill into the inkwell and touching pen to paper. ”Iron sharpens iron…”

“Hey! Get back here!” The angry words bounced off the grimy walls of the side streets of Kumogakures Cronopolis and fell on deaf ears. No one in the semi-busy street was going to take the time out of their day to help anyone else when they were too busy trying to help themselves; and the person at whom the words were aimed certainly wasn’t going to listen.

“Stop! Thief!” Nope. That wasn’t going to happen. The boy kept running; his dirty, worn out tennis shoes slapping the cracked wet pavement as he ran. He turned a corner down a back alley, splashing through the puddles from the on-again-off-again rain that had started falling as soon as autumn hit the village. The overcast sky and a nip in the air foretold that Lightning Country’s snowy season was fast approaching. The boy was bundled against the cold as best he could, though that wasn’t saying much. A pair of ripped and faded blue jeans and an old grey hoodie two sizes too big was all that separated his skin from the cool fall air.

The ill-gotten object that had caused so much fuss was held tightly in his arms. A large, brown paper bag filled with stale, week-old bread. ’What’s the big deal? They were going to throw it out tonight anyway! I just wanted to get to it before the rats did!’ He thought to himself, weaving between buildings, through back alleys, and down side streets. Soon the sound of the shouts had faded into the distance, and he felt safe enough to slow down to a walk. Panting heavily, he made his way home. His hood, pulled up to ward off the chill and hide his identity, flopped back off his head as a particularly fierce gust of wind caught it. He was actually relieved to have the hood off. He had begun building up a lot of heat during his escape, and the cold wind ruffling his messy brown hair was a welcome way to cool down.

He finally reached home. The junkyard took up a couple of blocks near the edge of the warehouse district, and was enclosed by a ten-foot tall wooden fence. Rather than head towards the main entrance, the boy circled around to the side farthest from the small grimy office and decrepit house that sat near the main gate. If he wanted to keep any of his ill-gotten goods, he’d have to make sure his uncle didn’t know about them.

The rear fence of the junkyard butted up against the back of a furniture warehouse, with only a couple of feet of clearance between them. The boy entered the small gap and made his way towards the center. He peeked through a hole in the fence to check for signs of his uncle or the numerous junkyard mongrels he kept and, as the coast was clear, shifted the secret loose fence panel to the side and scrapped his way in; careful to replace the board and secure it with a piece of brick once inside.

His secret entrance put him next to his… well… I guess the best word to describe it would be “shack.” The small structure was no bigger than a shed, and only barely taller than the boys modest 4’10”. Assembled from old, rusty aluminum siding; it was either a testament to the boys ingenuity or dumb luck that the fabrication held together at all. The roof only slanted to the front; and, due to a lucky find in the junk piles, had a gutter running along its edge that emptied into an old steel barrel (another lucky find). A chimney made of old furnace piping and capped with a dented metal funnel projected at a wonky angle from the back, left-hand corner of the structure. The shanty had only one door made of more aluminum siding bolted to a wooden frame. The only thing he had to actually buy for the build was the door handle, though not for a lack of them in the junkyard; they all just lacked keys and working locks.

He quickly unlocked the door and went inside, locking the door behind him. The darkness was absolute until the click of a butane lighter shattered the silence and was flicked into life. He made his way over to the small, open-faced stove from which the chimney sprang and tossed a few twigs onto the barely-glowing embers. A small fire was soon born, and stoked into a hearty little flame with the addition of larger sticks and bits of scrap wood. The dancing firelight illuminated the small space, revealing a ramshackle decorum. The walls were lined with old bits of rugs and floor mats for insulation, as was the floor. The only piece of furniture was a small, two-seater couch in front of the stove covered with raggedy, threadbare blankets and a random assortment of old throw-pillows. A small pile of dented and dinged cookware sat on the floor next to the stove, though they rarely ever saw much use. Beneath the couch was an old plastic container that contained the boys motley assortment of clothes.

He plopped down on the couch with a sigh and opened the bag of stolen bread. ’Jackpot!’ It wasn’t just a couple of old rolls (though there were several of those); the bag also contained a whole loaf of bread and several small, round loaves with cheese and herbs sprinkled on top. The boy pulled out one of the cheese rolls and took a ravenous bite. The bread was tough and stale, but the herbs and cheese still retained their flavor. The boy quickly devoured the delicious sustenance, and moved on to the plain loaf of bread. It wasn’t long until a single cheese roll was all that was left of the days plunder. The boy tucked it back into the bag and rolled up the excess paper around the treasure before storing it in an old metal chest he had hidden beneath the floorboards. The chest contained a couple cans of baked beans, a small plastic baggy of rice, a glass bottle of Kumo-Cola (he was saving that for a special occasion), and now the cheese roll.

’I’ll have that roll for breakfast. Got to keep up my strength for my first day at the Academy.’ Replacing the loose floorboard and covering it with the rug to keep it hidden, he reached between the couch and the wall and produced an old wine bottle; popping off the cork, he guzzled down the water the repurposed bottle contained. Thanks to the rain-catching system he built into his shelter and Kumo’s high rate of precipitation, he was never more than a few minutes of boiling and cooling away from potable water. Kicking off his shoes and stripping down to his boxers, he laid down on the couch and wrapped himself in some tattered blankets, burying his head into a pillow and falling instantly to sleep.

He was jerked from slumber by a pounding on his door. The fire had died down to glowing coals by now, so it must’ve been several hours later. The pounding on his door was erratic, and the shouted speech slurred, which could only mean one thing. ’Uncle Shishiro… crap!’

”Takeo! Open up thish damned door… you worthlesh li’l brat!”

Knowing the only way to avoid his fragile little shack from being hammered into the ground, the boy peeled himself out of his blankets and complied. As soon as the door opened, a massive meaty fist reached in and grabbed him by the hair, dragging his nearly naked form out into the cold night air. Before he could react, he was lifted off his feet by his hair and held up in front of his uncles face. It was a big face; round and fat and covered with a messy, unkempt black beard. Everything about Uncle Shishiro was big. The man stood a good two feet taller than his nephew, and was probably well more than three times the boys weight. Though that wasn’t saying much; the boys ribs were easily visible through his skin.

”Cho the baker shaid shome li’l punk shtole a bunch o’ bread from him thish afternoon. Ya wouldn’t know anything about that, would ya?” His breath stank of liquor, and half a burning cigar hung from his fat, spittle covered lips.

”No! I didn’t do anything! Put me down!” The boy was clutching onto his uncles arm, trying to relieve some of the weight that was pulling on his hair.

”Ya filthy li’l liar!” The man turned and flung the boy through the air. Takeo tumbled as he hit the ground, well versed in being treated like a rag doll. He was smeared with mud from his fall, but had only received a couple of scratches from the odd bit of metal or pebble on the ground. He’d done his best to clear as much debris away from his home as he could in anticipation of this all-too-oftenly repeated incident.

”I’m not lying, you psycho! I only eat what you give me, I swear!”

”Fufufu… good; ‘cause you know what happensh when ya lie ta me?” The man grabbed the boys upper right arm with one hand and pulled the cigar from his lips with a drunk, lopsided grin.

”I’m not lyi--!”

”Maybe you need a reminder, whelp!” Takeo screamed as his uncle pressed the red-hot end of the cigar into the skin above his shoulder; but, no matter how hard he flailed, he couldn’t pull away from his uncles vice-like grip. After a few seconds of futile resistance, his uncle removed the cigar and threw Takeo to the ground. ”There… That oughta learn ya. Now clean yershelf up and go ta bed. Yer goin’ ta that Academy in the mornin’, and ya better not shcrew up! The only reason ya get outa workin’ around here ish because o’ that stipend they give ya every week. Yer gonna give me half; and, in exchange, I’ll let you keep livin’ here, and buy yer own damn food. Ya got that?”

”Yes, sir…” Takeo growled back at him, his eyes glaring hotter than the burning in his shoulder.

”Oh-ho! Whatsh thish now? Ya think yer man enough to take me?” After a few seconds of stony silence, Takeo averted his gaze. ”Thatsh what I thought. Yer a scrawny, pathetic li’l weakling; and ya always will be. But whenever yer feeling froggy, go ahead and leap. I’m jusht beggin’ fer a reason ta kill ya.” That said, the big, fat drunkard stumbled back towards the house, leaving Takeo alone in the dark.

The boy stood shakily and stumbled over to the water barrel, blinded by tears of rage and humiliation. Filling a bucket with the unfiltered water, he took a rag and scrubbed off as much of the mud as he could find, dabbing gently around the burn on his shoulder. It was just one more scar to add to his collection. When he was finished he stumbled back into his shack and collapsed on the couch. As he cried himself to sleep, only one though filled his mind; ’I’ll kill you some day, you son-of-a-bitch…’

The next day was a blur. Orientation had been a swirling mass of paperwork and touring the Academy grounds. Takeo tried to absorb as much information as he could, but it was all a little overwhelming. When the mornings activities finally finished, he was officially registered as a student at the Academy. Arms laden with books, scrolls, and paperwork, Takeo made his way over to the training grounds for a little peace and quiet. The other classes had been canceled for the orientation of the new students, so he didn’t figure anyone would be around.

At least todays weather turned out better than yesterdays. The afternoon sky was a brilliant clear blue with only the occasional white, fluffy cloud passing by. The sun was even giving off some warmth, though not enough for Takeo to want to take off his hoodie.

Finding a wooden picnic table, he set his books down and sat on the bench to catch his breath from the days activities. While he sat there, he pulled out his class schedule and examined it, ignoring the hunger pangs that racked his stomach.

{MFT: 2568 WC}

Tanuki Rinko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Tomo flipped over the sheet of paper after writing his signature and stamping his troupe's seal. Another day of paperwork for the troupe, but he didn't mind. He'd rather be doing this than out on a death-dealing mission. He grabbed another form and began reading when a blip came from his headset. Grabbing it from the corner of his desk, he slipped it on and pushed the button on the side to answer. "Mochizuki Tomo reporting. What's the situation?" A female voice answered. "Tomo-chan, this is MZ-01-er, requesting your presence." Tomo abruptly rose from his seat. "What's your situation?!" MZ-01 was his eldest sister's code. She responded calmly. "Requesting you to bring my lunch, over." Tomo's worried expression fell to one of annoyance. "Whaaaa...Sonoko, I know Takama abuses the headsets, but now you? These are meant for important situations...like the gate is being attacked, or the Susukino District is on fire. If you cry wolf, how am I supposed to know when there is a real problem?" His sister chuckled. "By answering the call?" Tomo opened his mouth to argue, but realized he couldn't refute her logic.

Sighing, he rubbed his forehead. "Alright, where did you forget it at?" The woman laughed nervously. "Oh, well...I mean. I didn't leave it...I never...made it?" Tomo cocked an eyebrow. Sonoko, being a teacher, always made a lunch because she said the school food was bad for her figure. He could see her forgetting it, as today was orientation...but not making it period? No. Not to mention her pauses. She was always such a bad liar. However, as his eldest sister was one of the few siblings he had that actually treated him with kindness and respect, he didn't want to quarrel with her. "All right, well I'll buy you something and bring it over. What would you like? Some miso soup?" There was a pause. "Rice balls." Another cock of the eyebrow, but Tomo shrugged. "Alright, rice balls it is. How many?" Once again there was a pause. "Uuuuum. As many as you're willing to buy?" Tomo shook his head. This was getting fishier by the second. "Okay then. Where will I be meeting you?" "The training grounds! There is a picnic table, so meet me there." Tomo gave a nod his sister couldn't see. "Sure. Be there as soon as I can." "Thanks Tomo-chan!" A click came from the headset as the call ended.
---20 minutes later---​

Tomo's grey eyes scanned the area, his black and blue braid swinging back and forth as he searched for the location his sister had told him. There were a few picnic tables, positioned in the area so teachers could watch the students, and for family events. However, only one had a person at it, and that person wasn't his sister. Tomo flipped his headset back on. "Sonoko, where are you?" He knew he shouldn't be using it for something so unimportant, but in his defense, Sonoko did it first. "Oh, you're here? Great! Well...I...um...had stuff to do, so I guess you'll just have to give those rice balls to someone else. I'm sure there's someone sitting at a table that would love them." Tomo eyed the brunette child sitting with all his academy supplies. He frowned. "This was your plan the whole time." "Yeah...sorry Tomo, but I knew you wouldn't have come if I told you the truth." "Uh, yeah, for good reason. Why am I feeding a random kid? I mean, you're the teacher, why didn't you do it?" There was a pause. "Well...after that one incident, I was told by the academy that I'm not allowed to meet students alone outside of class on school grounds..." Tomo sighed. "Oh yeah, right." The two Mochizuki were cursed with the unfortunate ability to be found in compromising situations with random children. Honestly, it was always the kids' faults, but try explaining that to the parents.

"Well how would I be any better? A random stranger sitting with a little boy, giving him rice balls just seems...filled with innuendo." "Well, are you in a trench coat?" "No?" "Then you'd be fine! I believe in you! Thank you!" "Hey! Don't hang u-" The headset went silent. Tomo sighed again, and looked at the rice balls. He'd bought five in case his sister was really hungry, and he was here anyway. The kid looked a bit...ragged to put it nicely. Sonoko always had a knack for picking out the kids who needed a bit more help than others. He gave one last reluctant sigh. "Why not?"

Tomo approached the table and sat beside the kid, giving the boy as much room as possible. The effeminate male held out the wrapped food. "Here. My sister is a teacher and thought you could use some company, along with a snack." That seemed about the only way to say it without sounding like a creep. Well, more like a creep. Offering a smile that just barely passed over the awkward mark, Tomo did his best to small talk. "Soooo... What do you plan to study? Any classes catch your eye?" Tomo could feel them being watched. He was positive it was Sonoko hiding in the shadows.

Sashine

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Audible screams were heard from the hallway of the Ueno Household. Sometimes, it was a blessing to be ignored and nonexistent. The four other children in the room sat by their bed pretending to not hear anything, trying to focus on one thing and one thing only, improvement. For most of her siblings, that means strength. One of her older brothers held weights in his arms, focusing on the contraction on his muscles as he lifted and lowered each arm. Another held darts as he threw them around a target on the wall, mostly hitting near or at the target. A younger sister had a mix of powders in containers, mixing them together and smiling as happily as if she were playing with dolls despite the fact that those specific powders, when inhaled had the potential to poison and even injure. It was often a mystery how that one was still alive. Everyone had a 'specialty' of sorts in her family. Despite never being the best, they were all good at one thing: sneaking, genjutsu, whips, fire, intelligence, you named it and someone was great at everything a ninja needed to succeed. Such high competition was pressure for everyone else. Pressure to improve and outdo those older than you on a family that prided themselves on nothing else than power in every form.

It was such a relief to be able to go to the Academy where she could find something that she felt she lacked, her 'specialty'. When it came down to it, Sashine simply wanted to compete with the rest and find her strength, feel the power the rest had. She wasn't sure what she wanted to do with said power other than have it but that thought felt like it was far enough in the future that it wasn't something to worry about now. Sashine decided that despite normal classes being canceled, she would go anyway for a getaway. Another hidden blessing was that nothing was questioned when the nine year old stood up from the bed and walked out of the room, quickly replaced by a younger sibling who had to share a bed because of his age. Again, nothing was said as she moved past the cowering child and her red-faced parent and walked out the door.

Most of her day had been used up reading a book that wouldn't be covered until one month ahead though considering the classes that she had signed up for, this would be a reading assignment instead of classwork so in the long run, she would take this out of the way now. Reading wasn't entertaining to the nine year old though so she stood up from her place at the empty classroom and walked out into the training grounds where there would be one or two newcomers wandering around from what she could recall in her introduction of the Academy. Many of the loners shooed her away as loners tend to do but Sashine was fine with it, pestering was something she was well-versed in and she could take random rejections like a punch. The next victim on her list seemed to be some boy looking over a piece of paper at a table. She walked in the opposite direction he was facing to see if she could scare him a bit, pretending to strike up a conversation casually so even if it failed, it wouldn't seem like that was her intention. Before she could finish forming the plan on her head, some old man with a weird hair-do went up to the boy first striking up a conversation. He could have been a distant relative or a family friend or a teacher but Sashine hadn't seen him before so she decided it was best to butt in. That was her intention from the start anyway so now with another stranger in her way, she could shoot two birds. She walked up to the pair, standing behind the boy.

"Hey there classmates!", she slightly joked, referring to both the boy and the older man as classmates, backhandedly pointing out his age. Sashine curiously peeked over the kid's shoulder to see his paper, unable to read the specifics but recalling the format of the schedules. "I'd suggest quitting the classes with Mochizuki-sensei. She's harsh and I'm also pretty sure she's a student.", Sashine sat down next to the boy, at the middle of the bench, not wanting to distance herself by sitting at the far end.

---------------------------------------------------------
WC: 747

Yen
ASP
Deaths
’Ninjutsu… Taijutsu… Genjutsu… Navigation of Land and Sea… Survival 101… Combat Lifesaver Training… Basic Marksmanship… Holy crap there’s a lot of classes!’ Takeo thought as he read over the list. Evidently there was a lot more to being a shinobi than just learning a few cool jutsu and shouting stupid catchphrases like “Believe it!” or “The Will of Fire!”. There was even a strict physical training regimen that he had to adhere to. This was going to be tougher than he thought. Determination filled his chest as he furrowed his brow at the thought of the trials and tribulations to come. There would be plenty of blood, sweat and tears in his future; but there was plenty of that in his past as well. His whole life had been one long uphill battle. If he could survive living with his parents and his uncle, then he could do anything.

Movement in the peripherals of his vision brought his attention to a lone figure a couple of dozen meters away. It was a young man in his late teens or early twenties. At least, he thought it was a man. The figure looked pretty androgynous. Takeo tried not to appear rude by staring, and instead shifted his attention back to his schedule, only taking the occasional furtive glance at this newcomer over the top of the paper. Takeo had always been hypervigilant; he had to be. If you let your guard down for even a second it was all the opportunity Shishiro or his parents would need. Next thing you knew, you’d be on the floor spitting blood and teeth while they beat you until you blacked out.

A couple of minutes passed as the young man spoke to someone over a headset. Takeo could only pick out a few words here and there… "…your plan the whole time…. a random kid… why didn't you do it… right… random stranger… little boy… balls… Hey! Don't hang u-" By the time the young man started approaching the picnic table Takeo was sufficiently freaked out. The muscles in his legs tensed as he shifted his feet to get ready to take off on a moments notice, and he silently berated himself for not being armed. When the man finally reached the table, he sat down and reached out at him.

Takeo instinctively jerked back, flinching away from the stranger and raising his arms to defend himself; an instinctual flinch. It took him a moment to decipher that the man wasn’t trying to hit him with something, he was trying to hand him something. ”Here. My sister is a teacher and thought you could use some company, along with a snack.” Takeo sat there for a moment with his guard up, his eyes glaring suspiciously at the newcomer. Why? Why would some stranger approach him and offer him food? Was it a trick? Was it poisoned? Did he want some quid pro quo repayment? He didn’t have any money to pay the guy, and he sure as hell wasn’t going to earn it through anything demeaning.

He was so caught up in the situation with the random guy offering him food that he didn’t even notice the young girl sneaking up behind him. ”Hey there classmates!” Takeo was so startled that his heart jumped into his throat and he about came out of his skin. He shot a nervous glance over his shoulder at her, eyes wide with suspicion. ”I'd suggest quitting the classes with Mochizuki-sensei. She's harsh and I'm also pretty sure she's a student.” She then circled the table and sat down right next to him like they’d known each other for years. She didn’t seem to be as much of a threat as the weird guy offering him a snack, but he didn’t dismiss her outright either. She said “classmates”, so she must be a student here too. At least then he knew she wasn’t an enemy. One of the instructors had said something about camaraderie and teamwork with your classmates being the key to success. But there was still this guy trying to give him food.

”At the risk of sounding like an ass…” Maybe that wasn’t the best way to start off a sentence, but he couldn’t shake the fact that he was nervous around strangers; especially one that would offer him any sort of kindness. It wasn’t something he’d ever encountered before. ”Who the hell are you people?”

MFT:<i></i> WC 742

Tanuki Rinko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Tomo blinked a few times at the boy's reaction. He wasn't used to people being afraid of him. His siblings had done enough rumor-spreading to make sure most around his age knew him as a pacifist pansy. Tomo lowered his arm that held out the food as he heard light footsteps approaching. A young girl who looked familiar drew near, giving a greeting that was intended as a jab to the elder man. Was he really at that age where students were going to start calling him 'old man' and referring to him as a student to offend? It felt like only yesterday that adults weren't taking him seriously. Now children were going to pick on him?

He was startled out of these thoughts by the lad's harsh question. Tomo shifted out of the seat and took the other side of the table, now realizing that perhaps sitting on the same bench as the boy had been the wrong move, even with the large gap between them. Once he was situated, Tomo gave an apologetic smile. "Ah, yes. My apologies. I suspect two random people approaching with no introduction must be overwhelming." Tomo remembered that feeling as a child. "I am Mochizuki Tomo, manager-in-training and returning idol of the Mochizuki Troupe." He gave a smile bow of his head. As he did so, his headset began to beep. He held up a finger to the students. "One moment." He turned his back to them and flipped the headset on. "Mochizuki Tomo, what's your situation?" Of course it was Sonoko on the other side. "TOMO! You correct that girl this instant! OVER!" It took the young man a moment to comprehend, before remembering the pink-haired girl's words.

He sighed before returning to the children. "Sorry about that. I'm supposed to mention that there are many who share the name Mochizuki. I have reason to believe the young lady here is referring to Mochizuki Kimiki, in which case, yes, avoid her classes at all cost." He shivered as he remembered the sting of the whip from his Lightning Show training. "However, Mochizuki Sonoko, the sister I mentioned earlier, is a much better teacher as long as you like the overly kind, stuffy types." Tomo's headset began to beep again. "I mean, she really loves kids so..." It continued to beep. "She's good with kids?" More beeping. "Ugh, she's smart and teaches well. There, are you happy?!" He seemed to shout past the children, and finally the beeping cut out. This was becoming quite the stressful day.

Sashine

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The girl kept a friendly smile despite the foul language. She found nothing offensive in them and had heard worse even though she knew how it could come off sounding and reflecting on you when that verbiage was used. Considering the boy's clothing, it wasn't a comment that had been completely left field. Sashine sort of understood how social tiers worked and what effects they could have on people but she could only really guess what it was like to be in a situation like that. Sashine chose not to answer the question, poking the boy's chest as she directed him in an authoritative manner which looked silly coming from the small.

"Boys present themselves first and only shake hands after the girl does it.", her gaze was on the boy's eyes, suddenly stern. If this boy didn't know any better, it was up to Sashine to train him like a puppy. If he obliged and gave a name, she'd replay with: "It's good to meet you! I'm Ueno Sashine.", the childish smile coming back quickly. Her feet kicking back and forth under the picnic table gleefully. If he chose not to introduce himself, she'd stick her tongue out at him, puffing her cheeks up to make a face at the rudeness, replying with: "Bad puppy.", instead.

Sashine scrunched her nose as the old person introduced themselves. Just hearing that name gave her a bad feeling but she chose not to interrupt his introduction as that would seem rude. She also didn't understand half of the things he said about himself. It seemed like he wanted to make himself sound like a big shot but it from what she could gather, none of those titles meant he had anything to do at the academy. She heard the name again when Kimiki was mentioned and the nose twitch returned on her face. In truth, Sashine wanted to continue to learn from the weird, crazy, chibi teacher but she half wanted to warn others about her to keep them safe and half to keep her to herself. She wasn't sure which half was stronger. She blinked as the guy fought with the headset of whoever was on the other line. She couldn't put the pieces together of what was going on until it all clicked together of who the guy was.

"Oh, I get it. You're all just weirdos. The crazy little sister weirdo, the sneaky shy teacher weirdo and the pervert weirdo who looks prettier than my mom to bring all the children into his basement using food and trickery!", she stood from her seat on the bench as she announced this to try and intimidate the man. She didn't actually think anything bad about him but the guy needed to know he was a weirdo and he needed a scolding.

-----------------------------------------------
WC: 470

Yen
ASP
Deaths
… Seriously… What the hell was going on? The young man seemed to realize how strange the situation was; or, at least understood why Takeo was weirded-out. He immediately gave the boy some room and introduced himself. Takeo had, of course, heard of the Mochizuki Troupe; they were legendary for their various talents for performance, as well as the fact that they were a family of skilled shinobi. Perhaps the proffered rice ball was just an innocent act of kindness after all. Besides, Takeo wasn’t one to turn down free food. At least he didn’t have to steal, beg, or borrow to get it. He tentatively reached out and took one of the rice balls and began unwrapping it, keeping his eyes on Tomo and the new girl.

The headset… that’s what was throwing him off. The second he’d finished introducing himself, Tomo responded to a call from the headset. The strange part was that he was instructed to mention something to them about the girl’s last comment. How could whoever was on the opposite end of that headset know what the kid had said unless they were listening in the whole time? Besides, Tomo proceeded to shout into the area behind them after he had finished backpedaling through several edited versions of his corrections. From the sound of things, his sister Sonoko was the one sleuthing around in the background somewhere.

Takeo was about to start inconspicuously scanning the area for the sneaky sensei when he felt a tiny finger poking him authoritatively in the chest. This kid was some sort of bold to go around poking people and chastising them on their manners. Granted, Takeo had never really been taught any manners, so she really couldn’t blame him. Either way, he had certainly been a little rude earlier. Might as well try and be polite, right?

”I’m Raikou Takeo,” he said more to both of them than just the little one. She responded with her own name, Ueno Sashine, with a smile. The boy turned to Tomo next, ”Thanks for the food, I was a little hungry.” As if to emphasize his words, his stomach rumbled audibly. He was about to bite into the rice ball when the girl decided to voice her displeasure, jumping up on the bench and shouting some sort of nonsense about weirdo’s and basements. Takeo’s assessment of the girls boldness was quickly replaced by a look of stunned exasperation. She was nuts... like, a party mix of cashews, peanuts and the like… One thing she said was true though.

”Speaking of the “sneaky shy teacher”,” Takeo said before projecting his voice to the surrounding area. ”Why don’t you come on out, Mochizuki-sensei?!” Either she was nearby enough to hear him, or she was some ridiculous distance away and was really good at reading lips. Either way, the jig was up.

Tanuki Rinko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Tomo nodded as the children introduced themselves, and Takeo even thanked the young man for the food. The Mochizuki gave a nod of acknowledgement. However, the introductions and gratitude was merely the calm before the storm as Sashine stood up and accused Tomo of being some sort of pervert. His upper half staggered back from the allegation. "Woah, hold up! Where did you even get an idea like that?!" He paused before answering his own question in his mind. Rice balls. He attempted to defend himself. "Hey, I'm not the best, but I'm still a shinobi. If I was going to bring children to my basement, I wouldn't need to coax them with candy. I could just drag them there..." He trailed off as he realized how horrendously worse he was making the situation. "I mean...I wouldn't. I'm just saying I could...not that that's a threat or anything...I mean..." Tomo shoved his face in his hands with a groan. What was it about children that made him such a failure?

Luckily Takeo called out for Sonoko to appear, which would hopefully draw the negative attention away from Tomo. The man pulled his hands away to look past the children for his sibling, as he too had no idea where she was hiding. Behind Tomo, for the children to see, a black mass of shadow slowly approached the picnic table. It silently positioned itself behind Tomo and began to rise from the ground. It took the form of a blue-haired woman with gentle, light orange eyes.

She gave a clap that startled Tomo, causing him to jump out of his seat and fall to the ground. Paying Tomo's over-exaggerated feat no mind, Sonoko addressed Takeo. "Excellent deductive skills! You're already on the road to shinobi-hood. It is a pleasure children. I am Mochizuki Sonoko." She gave a smile and bow of her head. "I am so very excited to make your acquaintance. I do hope you will consider my classes when choosing your future curriculum. I have many specialties that I'm sure you both could benefit from." Tomo lightly grumbled to himself as he took his spot on the bench again. "Stupid shadow Ninjutsu." Once he was situated, Tomo felt a finger lightly poking at the back of his head, urging him to speak. It seemed his manager skills would be put to use today. "Indeed. She is a skilled Taijutsu user, and has extensive knowledge on Ninjutsu. She has also studied the basics of bloodlines, and other known specialties, in order to help those looking to dedicate themselves to a particular path in their shinobi career." The head pat he received upon completing his pitch indicated that he'd done a good job. Sonoko took the lead again. "So if you have any questions, please come to me! Or ask them right now." She looked at the two children eagerly while Tomo silently appreciated that the topic had shifted away from him.

[WC: 491]
[MFT]

Sashine

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Sashine stood on top of the bench letting the old man run himself into the ground. In reality she had excepted the man to be more practiced considering he had grown up with Kimiki but she knew nothing of their childhood or even Kimiki to jump to any details or expectations. Sashine made disgusted faces as the man explained kidnapping children in detail. Even if she had brought it up, it was something that she could now imagine him doing. "Creepy..."

Sashine stared at the shadow moving closer, ready to leap at any given moment. She already had an inkling this family was filled with weirdos and Sashine was not about to be tortured by one of them again. Sashine sat down again once the woman introduced herself. She didn't seem like she had any ill intent but something about her didn't fare well with Sashine. Maybe it was the fact that the woman seemed... too nice? In her mind, that was never entertaining or trustworthy. "Can't she compliment herself?", Sashine said snootily. She didn't understand why but something about the way she pushed her brother to talk and act for her made Sashine think bad of her. It was like she wanted to give off this vibe of being a good person while doing actions that were considered less than positive. That was hypocritical and contradictory. Everything about the righteous generally gave Sashine a negative feeling.

"How are you with Genjutsu?", Sashine asked to please the woman's need to nurture questions. Sashine was more hesitant to ask something she genuinely wanted to know so she paused for anything that Takeo had to ask before adding in her question. "Also, how do you know discover... what path to take as a shinobi?"

------------------------------------
WC: 292

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Tomo seemed to be completely taken aback by Sashine’s line of… well, I wouldn’t call it “questioning” per say; it was more like an “accusatorial declaration.” Either way, the poor guy was backpedaling hard after that comment about not needing candy to drag kids to his basement. He was so busy trying to surgically remove his foot from his mouth that he didn’t even notice the shadow creeping up behind him. Takeo almost felt the urge to warn the poor fellow… Almost. Soon enough, the shadow was right behind the flustered young man, and began rising from the ground to take the shape of a young woman with blue hair and orange eyes.

’So, this is Mochizuki Sonoko…’ he thought as she introduced herself. She seemed nice enough; maybe a little too nice. In fact, she was sickeningly sweet the way a receptionist or a telephone operator would be; although, if it was any consolation, she seemed to be genuinely kind rather than putting on a fake façade. Then again, after seeing the way she had manipulated and used her brother, Takeo really couldn’t tell. He was taken aback by the sudden compliment, though. A small blush rose to his cheeks; and, to hide both his embarrassment and show some sort of respect, he returned her bow.

”Thank you, ma’am; for the food and the compliment.” Meanwhile, poor Tomo was trying to recover some of his dignity from having fallen off the bench in his surprise; though that seemed like a lost cause as his sister continued to torment him by, literally, poking him into singer her praises. Sashine, of course, felt the need to speak her mind once Tomo finished listing Sonoko’s accolades. Wasn’t this the little girl who was just scolding him on his manners not a moment ago? Perhaps she was one of those kinds of people that expected others to follow certain protocol, but felt themselves above following their own criteria. What was the word Takeo was looking for… Ah, yes; hypocrite.

As much as Takeo wanted to tell the little brat off for her absurd double-standard, it wasn’t really the time or place to do it. After all, you don’t start a fist-fight in the middle of a busy street, you take it to a back alley. Not that he wanted to beat up the little pink imp, though she deserved it. Either way, this sensei and her brother were there to offer some guidance, and he wasn’t going to let that opportunity slip by. He waited for Sashine’s questions to be answered, then voiced one of his own.

”Why did you chose to become a shinobi?”

MFT:<i></i> WC 445

Tanuki Rinko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
It was interesting, the scope of these two children. They seemed like polar opposites, which intrigued Sonoko even more. The woman continued to smile, even through the small insult Sashine flung at her, and she nodded happy at Takeo's appreciation. However, it wasn't until Sashine's first question that the female Mochizuki's disposition changed. She turned around quickly, hiding the tears welling in her eyes. She pulled a handkerchief from a pouch on her hip and tugged on it with her teeth, trying desperately not to blubber. Tomo stood from the bench and gave his sister a pat on the shoulder before addressing the kids. "Sorry guys. Sonoko's a bit sensitive when it comes to Genjutsu. It's her one weakness." The woman turned around, a single tear falling down her cheek. "It is true children. Please do not think less of me. I swear to you that my other skills are adequate enough to assist you in your endeavor to become shinobi." She dabbed her cheek with her hanky before returning it to her pouch.

Sashine's next question brought Sonoko out of her depression, and the woman's eyes burned with passion. "Ah! Now that I can answer! ...By telling you to look within..." She lightly placed her fingers to her lips. "Oh my. I suppose I can't answer this question. Or more specifically, I can't give you a clear response." She gave the children a smile. "Finding one's path is a solo venture. It can be found when attending a class, when training in the obstacle course. Sometimes your path is determined from birth, and other times you must work yourself ragged to earn it. It's possible someone else will approach you and decide your path for you, or perhaps you will learn it while sitting alone in a room." Tomo interjected, realizing that Sonoko could 'answer' this question all day. "Long story short, find what you're good at and pursue it. Simple as that." Sonoko's brows furrowed at Tomo's interruption. "Well...that doesn't give them much either... But I suppose that is a good way to put it. That is why the academy holds so many classes. They hope that one will spark your interest, and will help you to make that decision for yourself."

With Sashine's issue answered in a rather round-about way, it was Takeo's turn. The boy's inquiry was far easier, and Sonoko had no hesitation. "Our mother was a kunoichi who retired so she could be with the leader of a traveling performance troupe. However, in order to get permission to do so, she had to make a deal with the village. Any of her children with chakra potential, or any members of the troupe in general who could control chakra efficiently, were to be sent to the academy for training. I, as well as all my other siblings, inherited mother's ability to utilize chakra." The woman placed a hand on Tomo's shoulder, and he continued in her stead. "We didn't choose the shinobi life. The shinobi life chose us." Sonoko spoke again. "But now I continue my work to protect those I care for, and to teach the younger generation so they may protect what they find important." Tomo crossed his arms and looked away from the students. A light blush reached his cheeks, as his answer was far less noble than his sister's. "I keep doing what I do for my family and troupe. Though the pay is miniscule, every bit helps." Sonoko tilted her head as she turned the question back at them. "Why do you children wish to become shinobi?"

Sashine

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Sashine was slightly annoyed by the lack of a reaction by the teacher. She had expected that this would be how the pervert man would react to her initially but he had given her hope that the rest of his family was wimpy and once again been let down. It seemed the man was the only outlier so far among the three siblings she knew of. In Sashine's mind, this probably meant that both his sisters teased and pushed him to their whim. There was a sense of pity before her mind responded with: "It sucks to suck." The lady went all dramatic, as if they were in an animation and even went as far as to take out a handkerchief. Sashine wasn't even aware people actually did that anymore, you could always wipe your tears with your hand or shirt but carrying a handkerchief for the sole purpose of wiping a possible tear seemed like a stretch. This was where she realized who they were, the circus people! It sort of made sense that they built themselves up so much. The feminine looking boy was the eyecatcher, who brought in crowds and the straight man who had over-exaggerated reactions to compliment and act as a laugh track to the others, the teacher was the informative, great at everything, nice one that did cool things and Kimiki was the personality, the one that kept people there by being cool and alluring.

Sashine had gone on to make stories in her mind of each individual and imagined who they were and what they were like in detail with what little information she had caught. It might not have been accurate but it surely made for not feeling like she was talking to complete strangers who wanted to know more about children but didn't share much of who they were. It took her this long to even realize their job as if they expected everyone to know who they were.

The young girl felt unsure with the response given to her question. She already knew that the answer was within her but it seemed so difficult to realize where she was supposed to go. She knew if she chose a path, she could excel at it like the rest of her clan but that was her problem and everyone could see it. Sashine nodded at the response, looking down at her hands, unsure of what to do with the answer. She listened to the woman's words and could tell that she was a great teacher. Sashine didn't feel bored listening to it and she could even visualize and imagine missing details like how their parents met, how skilled their mother was, how much effort she went through before she was finally allowed to join their father. Tha man's answer was more... tame but respectable. She could tell he put a lot of effort into bettering his life. Oddly enough Sashine was fine not making fun of either of them right now. Once the question returned to her, Sashine wasn't sure what to say. She opened her mouth to speak and closed it as she erased the sentence and re-wrote it.

"I...", she paused again, editing what she had in mind. "... I don't want to seem weak.", Sashine didn't want to make eye contact with the teacher. She was lying. The word she had used originally was 'worthless' but Sashine knew the repercussions of seeming pathetic and they only ended in the weak being weaker. "I want to be able to stand in front of everyone,", she thought directly of her family despite trying to make it seem like she was talking about the entire village or world, " and show them that I deserve praise because I worked for it.", she felt more confident with that in mind. In the end, she wanted to work hard and get the recognition, nothing more. She wasn't sure what she would do with it afterward or whether or not it'd feel empty once it happened, only that she wanted to work toward that goal. The path to the goal was still being paved.

---------------------------------
WC: 687

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Takeo’s eyebrow twitched as Sonoko wept. Was she really that upset about not being perfect? Everyone had their strengths and weaknesses; ”No one thinks any less of you, sensei…” He said, though his tone wasn’t nearly as comforting as the words seemed to be; more exasperated than anything else. The answer to Sashine’s second question was less concrete. Takeo rolled his eyes at the response; it was so generic! At least both of the Mochizuki’s conceded that it wasn’t a very good answer.

What gave him pause was the answer to his own question. Their mother did what? His brows furrowed in anger as the two shinobi described their familial situation, and his eyes turned to Sashine as his question was redirected back to them. Her answer struck a chord deep within himself. He had felt the same for so long; as if he were completely worthless. For a while he thought he could earn the love, praise and acceptance from the family that had beaten and rejected him. Now that the words were coming out of the mouth of another, his anger boiled over into rage.

”That’s complete bullshit!” The bile of his anger boiled over into his words, his fists clenched so tightly that his knuckles grew white and popped under the strain. The remains of the rice ball crumbled and fell to the ground, his hunger forgotten. ”So what if people don’t believe in you, or love you, or think you’re worthless. What the hell do they know? Who are they to judge your worth? The only person who you have to prove anything to is yourself! I used to want what you want; to prove to everybody that I wasn’t just another piece of trash, to be discarded and left for dead. Do you know what I think of them now?

“Fuck ‘em, they aren’t worth my time; and they’re not worth yours either. If someone doesn’t accept you for who you are, regardless of your strengths and weaknesses, then they don’t deserve to be in your life.”

Takeo turned to the Mochizuki’s next. ”And you… What kind of mother gives away her children like they’re just trinkets to trade for favors, or pawns to play with in a game? Did she give no thought as to how you might choose to live your own lives? Is her life worth so much more than yours that she can just give yours away? What kind of hypocrite could force their children into a life that she herself was so desperate to leave behind? It says a lot about you that you’re willing to let others dictate how your lives may be spent like you’re nothing.”

”At least I chose this life. I gave my life to this village and it’s people of my own free will so I could provide a better life for myself, and fight for people like you.”
His venomous words were aimed at all of them now. ”I fight to protect those who can’t protect themselves, and against anyone who would dare to treat people like they’re worthless. Everyone is worth fighting for.”

Tanuki Rinko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The siblings listened as the question was addressed by the students. Sashine's answer was understandable, and in a sense, Tomo could relate. He was a Genin still for goodness sake. He knew what it was like to be the feeble one out of a group, and not wanting to be that weak link that causes the entire chain to fail. Perhaps that was why the girl spoke so boldly, in an attempt to hide her insecurities, or push past them. Takeo's anger caught Tomo by surprise, though Sonoko had read his facial features before his outburst. Though his words oozed with resentment, his declaration that people had no right to judge whether a person was trash held a truth that both Mochizuki could agree with, though it caused a twinge of guilt within Tomo. He had an idea of justice, a sense of morals that he held to. He was guilty of judging others as being below him for doing certain things, and perhaps it was wrong of him to. But then he reminded himself that there really are some scum that didn't deserve sympathy. There was pure evil out there, and those who followed it didn't deserve to be treated properly.

Sonoko and Tomo met Takeo's eyes as he turned to look at them, expecting him to answer the question. However, he began berating their mother and them for the life they led. If there was one thing that could enrage Tomo, it was insulting his family. Sonoko furrowed her brows and placed her hands on Tomo's shoulders, feeling them shake underneath the pressure of her fingers. Once Takeo finished speaking, Tomo rose, his eyes holding a disgust for the lad. "You. Hypocrite. You say you fuck those who would judge your worth, then instantly judge us for ours?" He slammed his hands against the table. "Well you can shove your judgments where the sun don't shine! If my mother hadn't made that agreement with the village, I would never have been born! And you think my life is worthless because I let others control me? What in Raiden's name do you think being a shinobi means?! You will be told what to do, when to do it, and if you don't, you'll die. If anything, my family deserves to control me more than anyone else. I..." His head fell as he pulled his hands into fists. His knuckles became white under the pressure. With the initial burst of anger fading, he realized he was out of control. Tomo slid himself out from the picnic table and walked away. He feared staying would only escalate the issue.

Sonoko gave Takeo a sad smile, her voice gentle in hopes to calm the anger he must hold for Tomo's response. "I think you misunderstand Takeo-kun. Yes, it was the deal our parents made that brought us to the academy and onto the path of a shinobi. But in the end, we appreciated what they did. Before entering the academy, we have a fun life traveling the land, seeing the country and performing for all to see. Once sent here, we made comrades that we will stand by forever. And we could have stopped at anytime. But we held on because we came to find people and things we want to protect. Tomo said he only does it for the money, but there are people in his life now that he would die for, and he never would have met them had he not been sent to the academy." She gave him a small bow. "Please do not think poorly of my brother. Despite all his talk of being logical and uncompassionate, he has a soft spot for our family, especially mother and me. Your words were harsh, but I get a sense they come from something you hold close to you. They come from your idea of what living is. If you believe being free from judgment and control is your ideal life, then good for you. But don't assume that everyone shares those views or should conform to your opinions. We are all unique and see the world through our own eyes. That is the most beautiful, and frustrating, thing about humanity." She gave a small airy laugh. "I'm sorry, I'm sure you don't want to hear a boring philosophy lesson, especially from a random teacher when you're trying to relax." Sonoko's smile brightened a bit as she looked to Sashine, then back to Takeo. "I believe I should take my leave. You can't throw a stone without hitting an adult. Children your age, however, are a bit rarer. Be a kid as long as you can, because once you're an adult, there's no going back." Giving them a small wave, Sonoko turned and followed after her brother.

[Topic Left with Tomo and Sonoko]

Sashine

Yen
ASP
Deaths
She could hear the words that were coming out but she didn't understand. Part of her felt offended, another part confused and there was a hint of fear in his words. Fear of it being true and fear of it being annoyingly ignorant. There was a problem with having such a strong stance on any topic in life, it was that the further you dive into one side, the harder it is to relate and understand the other. Sashine didn't feel a personal stance on any topic and she always felt it was easy to sway to one side or the other, it all mattered on the situation. That was what she was, a shinobi. What she lacked in physicality and specialization, she made up for in versatility and adaptability. If she was hired to be one person one day and another on the next, she could do it because Sashine felt no chains to who she was, to what she believed in. In Sashine's mind, that was what it was to be a shinobi. To be a blank slate with the will to carry out requests and gamble with your life. There lacked right and wrong. You were a weapon on a hand and if you wanted to roam free, you'd only create larger metal sparks.

The boy's point of view was very narrow and it seemed like he wasn't aware of what it was they were being taught to be. Killers. Pretty, primp and glittery killers. Sashine saw little room for honor in the job and often made fun of it in a way by glorifying what it was to be respectful in an environment that lead them to drop basic morals in a functioning society to benefit someone else. The boy's logic was flawed in that he only understood his own situation and despite not having the privilege to place himself in other's shoes, didn't seem to look beyond his own existence. Sashine felt this as she noticed the boy applying all of his logic into not only her life but also the adults. Each human had very particular situations and you couldn't apply one philosophy to all. That simply wasn't how humans worked.

The words directed at the womanly man and the stalker teacher however felt intrusive. This was what offended her. He not only blamed the siblings for their upbringing but also disrespected their mother by putting himself on a moral pedestal where he was doing good and a woman's choice to have a better life or simply, an opportunity at a life, was bad. She felt like spitting at his feet but that would be gross. The retaliation was expected and even encouraged on Sashine's part. despite not feeling particularly attached to her family, a disrespect to your roots, to your elders was an offense no matter who you were. She wasn't sure what the woman meant at the end but simply nodded as the pair got up and left. She felt she'd see that annoying teacher around but was itching to see the rest of their weirdo clan. Sashine wanted to identify them all and understand why there were such... odd beings.

With the pair gone, she turned to look at the boy in rags. He had wasted food too. Sashine sighed, his morals would be a problem, a wall he'd have to get over eventually. She stood up from her seat on the bench, faced the bow and gave a quick bow. "It was nice meeting you.", she said blandly. "I'll see you around the Academy, kid.", as she moved away from the recreational area, she spoke under her breath "Hopefully not too much though.", she already had to deal with enough dumbos.

-----------------------------------
WC: 621 [Sashine left topic]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The anger burning within Takeo raged like an uncontrollable forest fire as Tomo returned fire. His hands shook with fury as he glared at him. He was wrong! Takeo had never said they were worthless; he said their lives had been traded as such! Hadn’t he just told Tomo that he chose ti give his life to the village? Takeo knew he had to follow orders, he knew he could be ordered to go to certain death or die for his disobedience. He gritted his teeth as he began to formulate a vicious retort, but Sonoko’s words came out first.

The sensei’s words cut him like a knife. What had once been anger boiling bile in his throat changed to the burning, sinking feeling of shame. She was right, he had no right to try and force his ideals on others. Everyone had a choice, and if that was how they chose to live their lives, then who was he to berate them? Besides, they were shinobi; above his rank and station. If he had said something similar to his uncle, he would’ve paid for it in blood.

What hurt the most, however, was her kindness. Where Tomo had reacted as Takeo had expected, he never would have guessed that Sonoko would offer only a smile and kind words for his insolence. It was that kindness, that benevolence, that wrenched his gut and made him feel small. She had fed him, gave him advice, and treated him with basic human dignity; and how did he return the favor? Angry words said in haste, and disrespect. Takeo bowed his head in shame as she turned and walked away, her brother tailing behind her.

Sashine’s reaction was more muted, but her eyes betrayed her displeasure as did her curt bow and monotone farewell. When she was gone, Takeo stood alone on the practice fields, his head still hung in shame. A cold wind stirred the few remaining leaves in the trees, but he was numb to the cold. All he could feel was the hot trickle of a single tear rolling down his right cheek as he muttered wasted words to the unhearing loneliness;

”I’m sorry, sensei…”

[Topic Left]
[MFT: 368wc]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back