The Butterfly Effect (Genin Exam)

The former proving grounds for those wishing to pass the Chunnin exam, after the civil war, this zone was restructured for a more set location for village tournaments and exams. Covering a wide expanse, it's best not to wander off the beaten path when traveling through the dense brush that makes up this portion of Konohagakure. Rumor has it that the very trees are naturally infused with chakra due to the rich soil underneath.

Moderator: Leaf Council

Sunaku Ninura
Cloud Academy Student
Cloud Academy Student
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Re: The Butterfly Effect (Genin Exam)

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:42 pm

Everything seemed to be normal, or as normal as one would expect out of this hut of mysteries. Once Ryujou sent out a windslash to the cieling, breaking apart the roof, to his disappointment, there was no attic. Rain came down through the hole that was made. The fire, after being hit with wind, and finally the amount of rain that is coming down on the inside of the hut, put the fire out.

That is when the four examees will feel a difference in the air, first off, it is a tad but colder than it once was before, as the fire was put out. Secondly, it has seemed as if their senses heightened, as if something before had turned them off.

The area in which Reicheru was once looking at now had something occupying that space. Laying on the floor was a pendant, a white background, with the number eight, painted in black.

The cassette that Katsu had thrown into the mud, didn't play, still in its little plastic bag. And as he went back to hack and slash the inside of the hut, he would find no small wires or anything of the like, leaving the inside of the hut look like some clawed madman was blowing off steam. Of course, in some parts in which Katsu had swung his sword, it has stuck in the wood, before him being able to dislodge his weapon from the walls. If he were to take more inspections on the walls, there wasn't really anything to look at except the damages he has made to the hut.

As Riku went around the room, listening for any real differences, he wouldn't find anything really except for the new cuts that Katsu has made into the hut, and the sound of rain more prominent, as it came out if the hole in the ceiling.
Kagetsu Kawachi
Cloud Genin
Cloud Genin

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:06 am

Blasting through the roof, Ryujou climbed onto the top of the hut anyways. There was no disappointment in the slightest, for that just meant that the hunt for those dastardly cultists would continue. Letting the rain pour softly onto him relying on his trench coat to stay warm, the holy bee man looked around at the surroundings of the hut and the trees that were all around.

"Forest of Death sounds like it might be right; I always suspected that there would be a cult lurking in these woods. With an ominous name like the Forest of Death, it's like they're trying to get cultists!" Shaking his head at the thought of the bad village-keepers that had let an infestation of dark magickers into their good village, Ryujou kept looking around for a bit longer before jumping back down onto the table.

As his senses went all wacky, Ryujou stuck his pinky finger into his ear and wiggled it around. He never liked swimming, the water got into his ears and his nose and his eyes and everything went all weird. Jumping around trying to get the water out of his ears, if their senses stayed heightened, he would give up. "See that! Definitely some sort of black magic! By destroying the hut we destroy the focus point for all of their witchery and everything goes all wacko!"

Staring down at the pendant, Ryujou pointed at it then pointed at everyone. "See! Break the roof, the cultists escape and the necklace comes out!" Running over to the pendant, Ryujou put it on because he was the only one that wouldn't be affected by these sorts of lame dark magicks. "The rain isn't too bad but if it gets any worse, it'll be waay harder for me to get the bees out. They're already getting sleepy and stuff but I'll see what I can do. I still think it's black magic that he's using to watch us, probably those weird speaky voice devices or the necklace."

Grabbing the safe, Ryujou ran out of the door and started shaking it to get all of his lazy bees off of the thing and to start scouting. Having them look for anything out of the ordinary that he hasn't seen from his previous trips in the Forest of Death, he walked back into the hut poking his newfound necklace while offhandedly grabbing the cassette in its plastic bag from where Katsu had thrown it.

"I didn't actually get to watch any of the tournaments," Ryujou said rather grumpily as he put the safe down where the fire was and sat down on it. "They seemed cool but some guy on the street told me that there wasn't anyone in the tournament fighting for honey so I didn't bother! Thinking back, he was definitely lying to me! I knew I couldn't trust those lame non-Leaf guys. Tea guys, rock guys, coffee guys, they're all just a bunch of lying dweebs!" Kicking around with his feet at the ashes in the fireplace and feeling reminded of the time where he blew up a desk and chair for old man Kenshin's class, Ryujou looked up the chimney to see if there was a beehive or something there.

"I really should get a rain coat instead of this dumb trench coat if cultists keep dragging me off to places with rain," He remarked, poking at his rather old trench coat, "They might have done something to it too. It just doesn't feel the same anymore." Looking out the door then at his other team members, Ryujou felt a bit at a loss. "So what do you guys think then? Do we start wandering around the forest looking for more necklaces? I mean, there's eighteen necklaces and the same number of us so there should be one for each." Opening the plastic bag and pocketing it after realizing how useful it would be for holding knickknacks, Ryujou started picking at the cassette tape and dunking it into one of his unadulterated honey jars. "So how does this cult thing work anyways?"
Saitou Reicheru
Leaf Jounin
Leaf Jounin

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:08 am

"Y'know, I haven't really followed the tournament. With all of the delays and how long it’s been going on, kind of lost inter---" Reicheru stopped suddenly as Ryujou finally bust through the roof at which moment she was almost thrown off balance by the sudden clarity of all of her senses. She blinked hard a few times, and popped her jaw in an attempt to clear her ears. Though restoring what she now recognized as her normal sensibilities, it was a jarring rush, causing her to lose her train of thought and forget what they had been talking about.

As Ryujou picked up the tape Katsu had abandoned, she nodded as she assumed the boy intended to play the tape and get the next clue. Examining the hut and seeing that nothing seemed to be left here for them to find, she address Ryujou while walking back toward the door to peer outside again. "Clearly we're meant to head outside next. Once we play that, we'll have a better idea of where exactly to start heading…" the young girl's voice trailed off in disappointment as she turned back to their appointed leader to find him dipping their next piece of the puzzle in honey. The geek in her shrieked internally as the technology was likely beyond any use now, but she maintained her composure. "…though maybe we could search the immediate area and see if we come across anything fishy that could lead to another tape or number? Either way I think we're done here, but I'll follow your lead."
Kagetsu Byoki
Cloud Genin
Cloud Genin

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:15 pm

Katsu twitched a finger, sending a wave of drowsiness unto their resident honey man, at which point he’d simply replace the cassette with one they’d already heard, and cancelled the genjutsu. Done swiftly, Ryujou shouldn’t have noticed the difference until too late. “As expected of our esteemed leader, destroying past messages is an important procedure for all shinobi too follow.” With that, Katsu began his applause, the sarcasm not obvious unless you knew him well.

Hearing, then, of Ryujou’s complaint about the rain, Katsu grimaced. He thought of it before, but was hoping it wouldn’t be too bad for the Aburame. Nonetheless, it was important to adapt to such developments. Katsu played the cassette, for lack of a better option. As per Ryujou’s thought, Katsu checked the cassettes, recorder, necklace, and the general area for any sort of seals that could be used to observe them, a partial use for his Lock Break technique which could dismantle such things.

I think Rei’s right, we should start scouting around the area. As for the rain issue-” Damn. Katsu cursed internally. Ryujou hadn’t complained about the rain out loud, but luckily Katsu had caught himself before he blundered. “It wouldn’t do if we all got wet and end up weakened for it. Does anybody have any fire jutsu? Times like these I miss Maikeru.

Ryujou, I’ll sensory link the bees to myself. With that, they should be better able to evade the rain drops in the area.’ He sent through their telepathic connection. ‘It will be a strain, but I should be able to hold it together if I disconnect Riku for the moment.’ Katsu had initially viewed his mental abilities as an advantage for covert communication like this, but it could easily be an issue if he wasn’t careful.
Kagetsu Boken
Cloud Genin
Cloud Genin
Donator

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:43 pm

The white-haired rogue glanced about before giving a small shrug to the others before walking towards them. He continuously had to bite his own lips when he moved to talk, incase he went back to giving another order. He thought on his words for a moment before coming up with a route to hint at things.

“Couldn’t find anything,” Riku said, giving a smirk, “Guess this spooky story takes us through the scary rainy woods. I’m starting to think the cliché kidnapper is just copying a book at this point.”

Riku looked outside at the rain with a partial sigh before decidedly grabbing one of the nearby chairs and raising it above his head before walking outside. It was a lousy umbrella, but it was something! As he walked out, he heard the mental link, they were going to cut him out! With a devious smirk, the rogue glanced behind himself as the others before thinking something down the line, hoping to hit before the link severed.

“You know, I think Asuka is into books herself, she supposedly knows math …” Riku hinted down the line, giving a clear grin to them, “Some people think book nerds are kinda cute I hear.”

The rogue casually thought about the subject to himself, creating a quick image to send down the line.

"I'm going to go scouting!" Riku exclaimed aloud.

With that thought sent down the line, the rogue gave a wink to the others before jogging out to the woods to explore it some more, decidedly avoiding the retribution he could receive. Riku kept his eyes open as he glanced about, looking for any signs on the trees, the chair above his head remaining as a makeshift umbrella.
Kagetsu Kawachi
Cloud Genin
Cloud Genin

Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:41 am

As Ryujou stuck the "new" cassette tape into the jar of honey, he felt sleepy all of a sudden. Flipping a mental coin, he decided that this was definitely more cultist stuff going on. Since they couldn't get into his mind, they were going after making him sleepy now!? These cultists were definitely off of their game or something.

When Katsu started clapping, he realized that he stuck one of the old cassette tapes that he didn't already destroy into the jar of honey! Ryujou started waving the jar of honey in the air towards where the hole in the sky where the roof was, "You darn cultists will rue the day that you messed with Bee Man's cultist artifacts! You gave those to me fair and square!"

Looking around for the new cassette tape and not seeing it anywhere within arms reach, the Bee Man gave up all sad. Katsu had begun playing the cassette tape but the lack of exorcism wouldn't be too big of an issue. He just had to do the exact opposite of whatever the device said! Ryujou gave himself a pat on the back because he is so smart.

"Okay then, I'll uhh, have them do scouty stuff in the rain then." He jumped around and waved his arms, sending all of his bees out of the area while the cassette tape played before sending a telepathic message directed towards Riku, "Nerd, even the cool bees do your job better than you!"
Sunaku Ninura
Cloud Academy Student
Cloud Academy Student

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:05 pm

"Congratulations on getting past the first puzzle. The next one should be simple enough." The voice said. Suddenly, the ground around them started to erupt around them. Crystals of all sorts of colors came from the ground, forming walls in random places. If one to really pay attention, they would realize that it is starting to look like a maze. Thankfully, none of the four examees are separated from each other.

"Your next task is to find the flag inside in this maze of crystals. I ask that you to not climb the walls, as they can cut your skin pretty easily. And to also not try to get above the walls as to try and find the flag that way. As for why this is the way it is, I want to see how well you all can perform under pressure, since at times of war, against the Frost, they will make sure that they will push you past your limits if you want to survive. This part of the exam, will see if you have the endurance and the will to carry out missions, especially with dangerous enemies such as the Frost about."

There are three open paths. One left of the cabin, one that is directly in front of the entrance of the cabin, and one to the right of the cabin. If Ryujou were to keep on trying to lug the safe around, he would find it seemingly more heavy than usual.

[You have three paths to choose from. The left, the middle, or the right. Choose which one to go through, alone, or as a group. Make sure to put the one you chose in OOC brackets so I can know.]
Kagetsu Kawachi
Cloud Genin
Cloud Genin

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:11 pm

The bees flew into the air and spread out around Ryujou before the heretic device summoned a big old crystal maze! A labyrinth like those cultists in books were so fond of! Ryujou considered having his bees just fly into the air and spot where the necklaces and flags were but he didn't know if the cultists would shoot his bees down or something like lame guys. Kind of sad and mopey, Ryujou had his bees come back because he just wasn't in the mood to play with them anymore.

"Okay, I guess let's just split up or something. Get this maze thing done faster, I wanna go home." Ryujou started dragging the safe behind him, "I don't have enough honey and now it's all ruined by these lame cult talky things." The safe seemed heavier too, it was not a good day. Maybe one of the cultists were hiding inside it now? He might not be able to open the safe again because the bees were sad but atleast he could bang on the safe really loudly!

"Hey Riku, gimme some of those chair legs!" Ryujou snatched the chair from the leader that isn't allowed to lead, and turned his makeshift umbrella into makeshift drumsticks. The bee leader started banging the safe as he dragged it along down the first path that he saw. "I'll go down the middle route," He yelled behind him as he wandered down, "If you get lost, uhh, just go towards the safe thing if you can still hear it."
Saitou Reicheru
Leaf Jounin
Leaf Jounin

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:43 pm

'We're doomed.' Reicheru thought as she watched their 'fearless leader' march ahead quite literally to the beat of his own drum. What a roller coaster ride this group's dynamic was. At least he'd advised that they split up - they could certainly cover more ground that way, getting in each other's way less. Not a good look, she realized, that their actions and desires were in such stark conflict with one another. Still, what more of a testament it would be if they could beat this thing. Ryujou hadn't instructed them on which path to take, just to split up; so Reicheru started toward the path to the left.

Focusing her chakra into her hands to prep a light jutsu should her vision become impaired in the maze, she turned to the remaining members and paused to see which path they would take. "I can take this side, unless you have another idea Katsu." The thought that they weren't even half way through yet left Reicheru antsy, and so long as her second in command didn't give another instruction she would begin down the path with focused determination - to cover her area well, to make sure they could move on to the next piece.

[OOC: Taking the left path unless Katsu instructs otherwise. Will use Light Flare as a flashlight if needed.]
Kagetsu Byoki
Cloud Genin
Cloud Genin

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:35 am

Katsu watched as Ryujou started up his own little marching band and began to head off on his own down a path. He and Riku, no doubt, were two peas in a pot. That said, Katsu maintained the mental link so that it was easy enough to keep track of their location in relation to one another regardless, however he supposed it made sense for them to keep up the facade of not having such a thing. Also, he 'turned down the volume' on Riku's link so that Katsu could avoid having such trash thoughts poluting his brain. “Splitting up makes sense. Reicheru, take Riku with you, it never hurts to have company.”

As for myself,” Katsu began making handseals then drew his sword, sliding his palm across the flat of the blade. As he moved, the edge seemed to glow with a greyish light, at which point the air seemed to crackle as he moved it. “I’ll head through the right side. If you find anything, just yell.

And with that, Katsu would head off in his own path, using his sword to break through any dead end he’d find himself at. The crystal would seem to crack from the cuts he made, the glow spreading like a corruption and making it brittle, if only temporarily. This was Katsu’s Dust Element. While not something he was incredibly skilled in, he’d trained in it specifically to deal with annoying situations like this, it’s ability to destroy being unparalleled.
Kagetsu Boken
Cloud Genin
Cloud Genin
Donator

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:47 am

Riku looked at the maze with a look of confusion. Some people just must chase dogs or save a kitten from a tree to become a genin. Why did he wind up with the team with the worse luck imaginable? But worse yet, Ryujou said he wasn’t cool! Riku knew instantly he needed to change that situation before it spread. The white-haired rogue looked at his now two leg missing chair in thought for a moment before breaking off the remaining leg before abandoning the chair on the ground.

“I can deal with a little rain!” He declared with a smirk.

With the chair leg in his hand, he watched with a grin as Ryujou began playing the safe like a makeshift drum. He had an idea. He raised the chair leg to his mouth as he began to walk down the left path of the maze, deciding to listen to Katsu’s own suggestion for the time being. They needed a way to help recognise where the others were going to be inside the maze, and he needed a way to prove he was the coolest, and Buzz had a decent idea for both. Music!

“You ever listen to any of the music around the village, some decent stuff if you look around,” Riku brought up, listening to the rhythm of Ryujou’s makeshift drum, “I think I know a similar song.”

With a casual thought in his head back to the Asuka prank he tossed towards his crew, he decided to follow through with it. Bad singer or not, Riku began to sing aloud one of the first songs that came to mind to assist in forcing the joke even further. Using the chair leg as an imaginary microphone.

(Music of choice!)

As the rogue began to sing the song as loud as possible, with no regard for how he appeared, he had a glance towards Saitou. He gestured for Saitou to join in, holding out one of the chair leg microphones with a grin. Whether she joined in or not, Riku would of course attempt to do the secondary voices himself when possible.

[Choosing Left!]
Sunaku Ninura
Cloud Academy Student
Cloud Academy Student

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:58 pm

The band leader, known as Ryujou, banged his makeshift drumsticks in the safe, as so, he would find it even more difficult to move it around as it got heavier and heavier, until he couldn't move it anymore.

Reicheru went down the left path, seeing as to try and make things easier to find the next pennant. She would recognize that she was being followed. But fret not! It was just a person that was on her team, Riku, who was trying his hand at music. But there was something else. It sounded like leaves cracking, or a twig snapping. Was she able to hear whatever it is that is there? On top of Riku's attempt to entertain her while the find the flag?

As for Katsu, going the right path, he would only find that some parts of the maze would break away, while other parts looked like he didn't even make a scratch. But even when he has made some damages to it, if he were to look back, of any holes of destruction he has made, he would find them mysteriously patched back together. If it wasn't for Ryujou banging on the safe, and Riku singing, there would be an erie silence.

Ziren was quietly watching this all unfold. Until, that is, a letter floated mysteriously down to where he was. Eyebrows raised, he made sure to check the letter, to make sure that it wasn't a paper bomb in disguise, or some kind of justsu sealed away to set off once he opened it. He figured it was safe, since he wasn't picking anything up, so he opened it.

Reading the contents, the Chigokai's eyes narrowed. Rereading again just to make sure the information that was presented to him said what it said. He let his chakra flow to the paper, crumbling it to dust with his earth chakra.

Handseals made, and a clone appeared by his side. The clone made haste to a specific person. Uchiha Asuka. It told her of Ziren's coordinates, and asked her to make haste and then poofed before she could even argue.

Once she has made her way there, Ziren would say, "Sorry to just dump this on you, but something bad just came up. Something I'll need to get to the bottom of right now. Just so you are aware, it'd be best to use sorts of spying justsus to keep track of them." He then told her of the plan he has for the exam, and then said, "It's not Frost. But a person from my history who is just as bad as them. He just decided to show up at the worst of times, in the middle of a war with Frost, and he sent me a letter saying that he knows who I am, and where I live. For proof, he talked about killing my parents, and how my brother paid him to do it. It's unknown if he is working with them. But if he isn't, he is a dangerous third party to come right now that I must deal with immediately."

With that said, he turned and ran with swiftness to where he will need to be.

[Switching proctors from me to Asuka, talked about it oocly]
[Topic left]
(Mft)
(533)
Kagetsu Kawachi
Cloud Genin
Cloud Genin

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:39 am

What was this if not for the vile dark magicks of a demonic cultist at work? As the safe grew heavier and heavier, Ryujou slapped it with the sticks harder and harder! Until the weight grew to the point that safe was no longer able to be carried or pulled, Ryujou labored away at bringing his solitary cultist companion deeper into the maze that they had made. He chattered about anything and everything to the fatty that inhabited the safe since there wasn’t anyone else that he could talk to. From the weather that sadly wasn’t raining honey to the flowers which sadly weren’t generating enough pollen for lots of honey, Ryujou tried to distract the lame guy inside from binge eating what felt like about a billion sandwiches.

You cultists really need to stop eating so much!” The boy cried as he kicked the darn thing once it was no longer able to be moved. He really needed a refreshment after those lame cultist speaky devices had ruined all of his remaining jars of honey. He wasn’t about to drink honey that had been filled with demon nonsense and butterfly jeebies. Putting down the sticks to take a break, he starting pelting the tainted honey jars at the safe to the rhythm of Riku’s song. “This is laaaame!” He shouted, “Why’d these cultists even grab us anyways if they were just going to be putting us in a maze like this.” Looking around and down at the broken jars of honey, he waved his arms in the air, “And what’s a fellow gotta do around here to get some honey!?

Shaking his head from all of the sadness and bad feelings, Ryujou kicked at the safe a bit more before getting fed up with all the fatties that were hiding in safes and necklaces and bushes in this danged forest. If they weren’t going to let Ryujou pull them with his muscles of honey, he was going to pull them with the magic of honey! Kicking a few of the intact jars into place and pulling some round rocks out of the ground with Stone Bullet, Ryujou used his cool telekinetics jutsu to fling the safe into the air. “This’ll teach you to lay off the butterfly nectar!” He said to the cultist as the safe landed ontop of the jars and rounded rocks. Humming and continuing to hit it with the chair legs, Ryujou started rolling the safe down the branch of the maze, kicking rocks and jars back into place whenever necessary.

If the cultist continued to eat burgers inside of the safe Ryujou would give up and just continue flinging the safe down the path of the maze that he had chosen with psionic assault. Heck, he would even fling the chair legs at it to keep up the drumming. Ryujou didn’t care all too much - he was tired and hungry and didn’t have honey and just wanted to go home. The bee boy absentmindedly daydreamed about whatever the heck his mind would wander off to while the rain continued to pitter-patter downwards. His bees didn’t want to be out in the rain; he didn’t want to be out in the forest, and Ryujou had no idea who benefited at all from these arrangements. All the cultists seemed to want to do was give them necklaces, eat burgers and make mazes and boy was it boring.
Saitou Reicheru
Leaf Jounin
Leaf Jounin

Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:16 am

Though Reicheru probably came off as more serious when around this particular group of students, the truth was that she enjoyed a good time as much as the next person. So when Riku began his performance, though she initially shook her head with a grin and a sigh and tried to focus on the task at hand, it wouldn't take long for her to fall prey to the beat. First her head would start to bob, then she would clap her hands, and finally she would lean into the fake mic and sing the back up "oohs" and "aahs" and "uptown girls" where appropriate. She wasn't usually one to put herself out there, so it might come as a surprise that the young girl actually had a decent voice for one that was untrained. 'This has been a mess already anyway, might as well enjoy the ride…'

Then, in the off-beat, there was a sound. Due to the commotion Reicheru hadn't been able to pinpoint where it had come from, but could distinguish that it wasn't from their immediate area. In half a moment, the chakra she'd gathered in her hands released in the form of two bright lights emanating from her palms. She shot one beam into the treetops above them and the other on the ground below, sweeping between the path in front of them and then behind. "Something is around… keep an eye out…" she nodded to Riku, the hand closer to the ground hovering near her tool pouch, ready to retrieve her weapon in a flash if necessary.
Kagetsu Byoki
Cloud Genin
Cloud Genin

Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Katsu heard Reicheru singing in the distance, and through Riku’s senses, and smiled. He was glad she was enjoying herself, given what she’d just been through. Still, her trauma was a fresh wound for Katsu and he needed to let his anger out some way, and that “way” just happened to be through Ziren. Conveniently, Ziren had made certain walls more reinforced such that Katsu’s enhanced blade couldn’t break them down so easily. While some might find this discouraging, Katsu simply found it telling. There was a direction which Ziren didn’t want him heading no matter what… which just made it all the more worth it.

The question now was how to overcome these tougher walls. Unfortunately he was off on his own, so he couldn’t really on the others. The tops were barbed such that it would be a bit too costly to try scaling them directly, as well. However, perhaps he could vault them.

Creating a series of handseals while holding his blade in his mouth, Katsu formed a fist surrounded by earthen chakra, and in a single movement slammed it into the ground. At that exact instant, the earth gathered beneath him and rose up with great speed, an alteration of Sinkhole Fist which used the spike it formed as a launch pad of sorts, providing his jump with a largely increased upward acceleration. Into this, he used the mid-air movement skills adapted from Flight Aerial Strike to maintain his momentum even further, allowing him to overcome the wall’s height in a single leap. However, he had no horizontal momentum to speak of. To this end, he began to channel earth chakra through his blade as he reached the peak of his jump, and through such performed Riku’s favorite jutsu: Stone Bullet. Aimed at nothing, it served mostly to propel Katsu toward the wall, allowing him to spin and strike the top with his blade and thus gain the leverage to throw himself fully onto the other side, unless something else prevented such.

Now, where are you, esteemed proctor?” Katsu growled.

Return to “Forest of Death”