Mount Anagama [Contract Search]

With thirty-six prefectures excluding the capital of Konohagakure, the Greater Fire Country is home to many different peoples and places. Ranging from tropical rain-forest to large lakes and even a desert, exploring the Fire Country outside the walls and sphere of influence from Konoha can hold a world of adventure!
Kodoma Yoshihisa
Leaf Anbu
Leaf Anbu
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Mount Anagama [Contract Search]

Sun May 06, 2018 2:01 pm

The Anagama mountain range, also known by the locals as ‘The Blind Spot’, spans for only several miles across the border between the Country of Fire and the Country of Earth. While at first glance it would seem rather insignificant when one would compare it to what the greater Earth Country has to offer, looks could be deceiving as any seasoned mountaineer would tell you: Over the course of recorded history, it has been known for its notable and rapidly shifting landscape, where entire mountains were said to have disappeared overnight and countless travelers have been reported missing that few but the ignorant or the foolhardy would dare to tread, only to inevitably end as another forgotten case.

”.. And yet the local population seems to revere what they claim to be greater powers at work, often implying that this area was never meant to be invaded by mankind in the first place.” Yoshihisa let out a weary sigh as he closed the leather bound tome with the greatest of care, the last passage always sitting the heaviest on his mind. The contents of the tome so old and worn even the cover could barely be held together by tape at this point were more often than not topics of vague superstition and downright nonsense, yet this particular one held his interest due to the level of personal investment. Despite it all, he was starting to develop some nagging doubts about the actual legitimacy of this trial as he crossed into the mountain range under the cover of night.

”Heh, still can’t believe how they saw you back in the day, Hōrai.” He chose to break the silence seemingly by trying to get a conversation going with the mountains themselves, something that surprisingly wasn’t such a outlandish concept after all as they almost immediately responded with a voice like rolling boulders. ”The vast majority of humans as you know are quick to dismiss these things as magic or the works of the divine when they can’t fully understand them, even to this day. A shame when you see what your species as a whole is capable of at times.” Yoshihisa shrugged his shoulders as his eyes scouted the pass leading up ahead. He wasn’t planning on stirring up a conflict between himself and the vastly more powerful entity he was sharing his conscious with, nor did he particularly feel enthused to trail away from the lightheartness he had intended to be the tone of their conversation.

It took him about an hour of longwinded and droning monologues from Hōrai‘s end to reach what could only generously be called shelter, a cave barely deep enough to protect oneself from the potentially harsh elements outside. Yoshihisa admitted it would have to do as he produced a tiny flame from the tip of his thumb and slowly descended into the dark, extra careful to watch his step. What awaited him inside however caught him by surprise: Prominently featured in the center of what could pass for a room was a shrine, completely hewn from the granite surroundings and abundantly decorated with strings of dried mountain flowers and crude paint. Strewn throughout the room was a collection of small bones, some stored in the walls by means of several holes while countless others formed neat piles around the shrine. It didn’t take some sort of genius to see the relgious nature of this place, now all there was left was to discover the ‘why’ behind the ‘what’.

-

[Activing: Discovery of Contract of Your Choice - Kami]
-"Like all artists, I will put my heart and soul into these sculptures. However for the.. tangible parts, they will turn to others.."
Michino
Sand Genin
Sand Genin

Re: Mount Anagama [Contract Search]

Mon May 07, 2018 11:29 am

The Blind Spot was truly steeped in as much mystery as the words of Yoshihisa’s book told. The mountains were more than just a place for things to get lost in. While the world and mankind had evolved beyond some of the sillier superstitions of the old times, there was a good reason Mnt Anagama was left alone.
The entire landscape from end to end flourished in all sorts of natural mysteries that drew many researcher and scientist to their doom alone, but the main lure of the mountain was in the rumored treasure. As twice as many adventurers have gone missing chasing after one of the hundreds of legends floating around the mysterious mountain that was famed for never staying the same. Everything from a demon’s curse to the will of the Kami themselves supposedly guards a great treasure that was not meant to fall into the hands of mankind.

Some come seeking power. Other go searching for peace. Both groups are never seen again after touching foot on the holy soil.

Yet one legend pulls ahead out of all of them. Throughout history in multiple cultures a certain castle always pops up in the old lore about the First Rulers of Man. Most of these texts have long been lost to the winds of time and the few remaining etched in stone are considered irreplaceable by scholars and historians. Of these remaining old carvings, and what little has been deciphered, all four make mention of a grand castle etched into a mystical mountain out of a stone not from this world. A grand fortress of a castle built right in the center of Anagama. Living inside of this massive building were a race of small humanoids with overwhelming power over the force of life; but little more than that is known. It is often theorized by philosophers that the reason for so little history on the Blind Spot is due to a distinct separation of man and the mysterious forces that lives beside them in the background. It is also largely believed that if this race of beings really did exist and live in a fortress in Anagama they most likely went around the world destroying anything that spoke of them due to a falling out with mankind. Since there is little information beyond the four carvings, though, many societies near the mountain have made up their own superstitions and reasons for staying away.

The path Yoshihisa casually strolled up while reciting monologues to the surrounding foliage that grew thicker the higher he climbed was one considered incredibly sacred in old cultures. The very right to even step a foot on the Road of the True Kami usually came after a grueling task, a wondrous quest, and one-hundred good deeds. Yet the shinobi walked through the path, a path that was slowly becoming harder to navigate, seemingly without a clue. Was his heart truly ready for the mountains the majority of his species avoided for good reason? Could the man’s soul stand the test of the supposedly ever shifting landscape and the truths they revealed in the hubris of man?

Was anything about this range anymore than just difficult mountain terrain?

The young man and his book neared a cave right as the weather finally decided it was going to be bleak. During the entire journey up the sky had slowly grown from a happy blue to foreboding black. It was like his every step forward would summon more and more dark clouds that said ‘go away’. The moment he ducked into the cave for shelter a streak of lightning caused the sky above to explode and a torrent of rain started to fall.
Cool air flickered around Yoshi’s small thumb fire as it was trying hard to blow out the power of a chakra fueled flame but it was not strong enough. The light glowed eerily off the stone of the cave as he journeyed deeper inside to find what, at first glace, could be a burial tomb. His light slowly waved over old stones and bones that had not seen the energy given off by the ninja’s unnatural flame before. Silence continued to stretched out in the cave except for when the lightning outside flashed to reveal the cave’s shrine a little clearer.
The moment he tried to take a closer step forward a voice cut through the silence, coming from directly behind him. The voice was of a twelve year old boy, but the tone reverberated with the power of a leader,
“Halt!” the small hooded figure behind Yoshihisa spoke with tiny outstretched gloved hand,
“Step thee not another foot further on this, our sacred soil! Do you dare test the temperament of the Kami themselves? Come well away from that spot! If ye speak to me why you have journeyed this far without the proper rituals I may be willing to spare a strike from my cane!”
The child like voice came from a small robed creature about four feet in height. From within the black hooded robe that hid his form behind its folds a gnarled root cane slid out a sleeve to be grasped by the creature’s tiny right hand. He held it up threateningly, and though his face seemed to be hidden by more than the shadows of the robe and cave, an aura of warning radiated from his form.
Kodoma Yoshihisa
Leaf Anbu
Leaf Anbu

Mon May 07, 2018 2:12 pm

It was rather unusual for someone like Yoshihisa to be snuck up on like he was, causing him to slowly move around as to not make any sudden movements to provoke whomever it was he was going to face. While often skeptical by nature, the thought of mocking someone small of stature didn’t even cross his mind despite them being demanding, as he was very much aware that there may be powers in play far beyond his control.

”My apologies, I never meant to tread upon this soil with the intentions of disrespecting it.” Yoshihisa raised his hands above his head where they could be seen: While he could easily function without the use of seals and probably stand his ground even now, he had no intentions of posing a threat if the situation didn’t call for it. ”This mountain is my last stop for my pilgrimage on behalf of Kakōgan Hōrai.” Realizing that he had perhaps been too candid with this last remark, he could only hope that the reputation of the youkai hadn’t been too poor over the centuries for it to trigger the hostilities.

His question was perhaps getting answered earlier than he had anticipated at first: His mind wavered for a brief moment and he found himself in the realm he had grown somewhat accustomed to, and now that he thought about it was oddly reminiscent of the region outside the cave. The gargantuan being standing before him let out a bellowing roar which slowly transitioned into rumbling laughter. ”That was unusually careless by your standards, boy. However even I struggle to find what grudge they would hold against me if any, and I have more time to think than you may have realized..” Hōrai chuckled as he slowly stomped around, a tremor accompanying each and every step. And before he knew it, Yoshihisa had been tossed him into the present, on the outside appearing like he had blacked out for a moment.

”Could you perhaps repeat that? I wasn’t.. entirely sure if I caught that.” He would no doubt have some explaining to do if there was nothing to repeat from while he was away. Right now however he seemed to be more preoccupied with the reason behind the youkai’s summoning of him, often an uncommon event when something was at stake for either of them, and yet this time it came and went as if there was something else going on.
-"Like all artists, I will put my heart and soul into these sculptures. However for the.. tangible parts, they will turn to others.."
Michino
Sand Genin
Sand Genin

Wed May 09, 2018 6:37 am

The small person before the shinboi drew a very unamused look on his face though the man before him wouldn’t be able to see beyond the darkness of his hood. For a moment the small stature person thought to rap the curious youth on the head anyways just for the very mentioning of that name. Yet as the cane came up he stopped when his hooded eyes caught the youth in a trance of sorts. With a huff he lowered his walking stick and slowly moved back towards the mouth of the cave where he hoped the intruder would follow after his communion.
“Talking with something up there, huh? Never mind that question,” the child like voice continued as it faced away from Yoshi and into the storm outside. In the distance was a small orb of orange where the sun tried desperately to warn this side of the planet it was going away.
“Darkness falls as man steps into the Cave of Unearth. Tell me, boy, you claim to climb this mountain for someone else yet not a single soul comes to this range without a reason. I have personally watched the most clever of mankind and thousands in a army both fall to these ever shifting lands. They all come searching for the lost treasures that supposedly reside here somewhere. Always I go to meet them, warn them, and tell them to go away and always I am ignored.” The boy slowly turned his hooded head back towards the Konoha shinobi enough that when lightning struck outside a part of his face was revealed. It was far too young to have seen all the things he just mentioned, but the lone violet eye spoke of untold ages of wisdom.
“They always die when they do so. The only ones smart enough to turn around and walk back down that path again are the ones trying to test their meddle through some ritual of manhood…though I admit it has been some time since I last saw that.”

The hood turned back towards the storm and both tiny hands came to rest on top of the cane. The ground beneath them shook as thunder rolled against the sides of the mountain yet the boy remained unflinching before the power of nature.
“Does mankind even still believe in the gods?” the small one whispered before it turned back around. Raising a single hand, without a single seal, flame suddenly rose up in the center of the burial monument to light the cave. Suddenly drawings all across the cave’s insides revealed themselves as pictures depicting a beast sized like a mountain, battles between it and hordes of warriors, and other murals that told of old stories lost to most of man. The robed figure gripped his cane and used it to ease himself to the ground half-way between Yoshihia and the entrance. The warmth of the fire slowly began to chase away the cold of the weather as the youth tapped a spot opposite of him as if to ask the intruder to take a seat.
“Tell me, do you believe in prophecy?”
Kodoma Yoshihisa
Leaf Anbu
Leaf Anbu

Fri May 11, 2018 5:27 pm

If he had to take the boy’s words for truth, then it would go without saying that Hōrai had neglected to mention a few crucial details regarding their journey. It wasn’t however until he picked up on the words he doubted were even meant to be heard, yet he didn’t shy away from making himself heard on this topic in particular. ”Forgive me for speaking out of turn, but to question whether or not men still believes in anything we could label as ‘Gods’ seems kind of pointless to me: As someone who has grown up in a family of great faith, if anything it would be because of these fabeled powers at play that they seek it out.” A somewhat amused smile crosses his features. ”Mankind may be flawed in more ways than I could possibly even realize, but you can’t deny that they are at least driven, for better and worse.”

Upon the illumination of the cave and its historic murals, Yoshihisa took in its details, each leading to questions he knew he wouldn’t find an answer to by himself. However very much unlike him, he wasn’t left disheartened like he may have been on another time, another place, on the contrary it seemed to steel his resolve. Call it hubris, yet it wasn’t in his nature to be dismissed simply for the poor decisions countless others had made before him and would no doubt continue to do so after he was long gone. ”I would lie if I said if I would take them all at face value, but as it is obvious I am not dealing with a mere charlatan here, I would implore you to share that of which you deem us worthy..” A smile would return to his face, this time more genuine however as he produces a jingling bundle from underneath his cloak and carefully lays it down in front of the shrine. He couldn’t remember the last time he had been swayed into leaving an offering out of his own volition. And despite that he felt like the cause he was giving to wasn’t meant solely to line someone’s pockets for once.

”.. For I have to admit my interest has been peaked.”
Michino
Sand Genin
Sand Genin

Wed May 16, 2018 5:25 am

The small one smirked a little at the wisdom the youth before him returned. He had been surprised that the boy overheard his own personal laments over the possible things to come. It wasn’t unlike the humans below the mountain range to carry such knowledge with them but for one so young to make these remarks caught the being off guard. Most of the men and women of this one’s age coming to climb cared for only the simplest of things and flailed at life. For the first time in ages he found himself wondering just how far the race had really progressed. He could still remember of the chaotic thundering of soldier’s feet beating against the ground out of time as two armies clashed. The sounds of blades breaking on blade and cutting through flesh and bone. The screams of the dead and dying.

Yes mankind was capable of some true horrors. Had they moved passed them? Watching Yoshi place the jingling bells on the alter forced a chill up his tiny spine.

“You are not wrong to take the words of other at such value. In a time so progressed since some of these things were written who is to say they have not already come to pass without the notice of who it was meant for? I would still implore you to keep an open mind as nothing in this mountain is as it seems.”

The staff was raised up and lifted towards a mural on the wall. It was old but not the oldest in the cave. Little flecks of the material used to paint it onto the stone began to give off a light blue glow. Revealed was a man-shaped mountain moving through a landscape unnoticed by the small specks that represented people below it,
“A creature of power unlike any before it once tread through these lands. For the longest nothing bothered it, and in return it did no more than move and be content to be. Yet mankind has a tendency to be a parasite and dared to greed for what was inside that lumbering giant.
“This invoked a long unkindled rage within the beast and it turned on the creatures it once ignored. It wasn’t until a powerful human stepped up did the beast finally stop, “ his cane moved over far across other murals to another across the cave. Like the one before it this one too started to glow a soft blue as it showed the picture of a man in a meditative state with the giant rock being surrounding him like an aura,
“The creature was sealed inside of this monk by humans but instead of forcing the beast down the man decided to make an accord with this being of power. Through this the man was able to step into realms of enlightenment that were out of the reach of mere mortals; even now it is near impossible to reach this state. When he had achieved pure nirvana his hand picked up a quill, inked it, and scratched a passage onto three separate sheets of paper.”

The pictures both stopped glowing and the cave once more was only illuminated by the fire. The small one locked his violet irises with the male that had come to these lands in search of something. The Small One felt it that even the one before him didn’t know what he was searching for and there was a lot to be taken at face value in a prophecy just as Yoshi had stated.

“That man,” he continued. “Started something long ago after achieving his state of Nirvana and the very few of us remaining continued to hold up his beliefs. The monk told us all on the day he stepped into the Realm Beyond, and that was one day someone bearing his mark would come to visit. I won’t go into just how long we’ve been waiting for that person…but if he spoke true, and the words written down are correct, then I’ve been waiting all this time for you.”
Kodoma Yoshihisa
Leaf Anbu
Leaf Anbu

Thu May 17, 2018 1:43 pm

His host brought up a fair point, most written accounts of countless prophecies were probably lost to the ages, either without leaving their mark on history or simply fulfilling their purpose as they were supposed to. Some were never meant to be to impactful after all, for while the act of even pinpointing the simplest of future activities with great clarity was an art form by its own right it was rarely the stuff of legends. Unbeknownst to him however, as the images of events long since past flared up before his very eyes, it became more and more apparent that what he had stumbled upon in this cave was taking on forms far too convoluted to be a mere hoax, yet awe inspiring all the same.

”The Ten Moons War.. you’re implying that this is..” His words trailed off as he pulled back his sleeves to reveal the pair of bronze shackles mercilessly locked around his wrists. ”If it helps to establish my authenticity in any shape or form, please.” The shackles were polished to a mirror sheen, gleaming harshly even in what little light there was inside the cave. Each had the kanji for the virtue of self-control (自制) carved into them together with one of the earliest adaptations of the Iwagakurian crest. ”The Ten Moons shackles of Rokkoyō-sama. To be honest, while I have ultimately been aware of the legitimacy of this tale since the day of my inauguration as the latest in the line of Jinchuuriki, I have never been able to do more than speculate over a centuries old story.” The smile playing on his face was rather hopeful, the caution of an ANBU cast aside just enough to peer into the soul behind the professional facade for once. Here stood a young man who had gone through the trials and tribulations tied to the existence of a Jinchuuriki, who despite his best efforts was showing the cracks accompanying the sort of life they were bound to live.

”Please continue.” There was still a hint of hesitation from Yoshihisa’s end, ashamed to admit that he had potentially left himself vulnerable to the whims of a prankster spirit. As the being in front of him had mentioned, nothing was the way it seemed around here, and he had no intention of letting himself fall prey to whatever this mountain would throw at him. At the very least he could try to wring out as much useful information out of this exchange before being on his way to pick up the search on another day. A shame, really, for while he had set his hopes on being open minded he greatly disliked the kind of scenario where he felt like not all the cards were out on the table. And he couldn’t shake off the feeling there was something the (potentially) supernatural being had neglected to mention, all for the life of him he couldn’t put a finger on it on what that was supposed to be.

Return to “Greater Fire Country”