Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Do you need a Hand? {Private: Do Natsu}

Yen
ASP
Deaths
All was silent and still in the early morning hours at the apartment of one Narashi Jo. The young mans living quarters were extraordinarily neat; or, perhaps not so extraordinarily so, seeing as he was rarely ever home to make a mess. The miss-matched furniture, bought second hand, was all in relatively good condition; and somehow seemed to go well with one another regardless of their dissimilarity. The kitchen counters were bare, save for a coffee pot and a toaster. The illuminated red numbers on the digital clock timer built into the coffee maker read 6:14am, the colon between the six and the two flashing at even intervals as the seconds passed. With a “click” the numbers changed to 6:15am, and the machine began heating the water hidden in its well. After a few moments, a caramel-black liquid began filling the clear glass pitcher that rested on the machines hot-plate; the scent of the near-boiling coffee wafting through the kitchen before dissipating into the living room and up the stairs to the hallway. The bedroom door sat slightly ajar, a slim crevice of light breaking the darkness of the upstairs hallway. Easily slipping through the seemingly infinite gap between door and frame, the coffee scent floated into the room.

Where the main living area of the apartment was neat and orderly, the bedroom was anything but tidy. Articles of clothing, both male and female, littered the room. Some thrown half-hazardly onto the dresser, others were simply laying on the floor where they fell. A brazier had, at some point, been flung onto one of the blades of the ceiling fan, which turned on the slowest available rotation frequency, comically twirling the undergarment. The fans gentle breeze churned and spun dust motes through the air, invisible save for when they passed through a solitary beam of sunlight that had forced its way between a pair of drawn curtains. It was a combination of this ray of light, the wafting scent of coffee, and an internal sense of time that awoke Jo from his slumber. Bleary hazel eyes fluttered open, then blinked solidly shut at the invasion of illumination. The young chunnin turned his head slightly to the left and, feeling the sun being shielded from his face, reopened his eyes to a most wonderful sight.

Laying in his arms was the embodiment of beauty, Takaki Saeko. Her head lay on his shoulder, the sunlight shining fruitlessly on tousled hair dark as night. Her eyes were still closed, her breath still deep and slow; the angel still slept. A peace lay about the fine features of her face; a softness where usually an unwavering mask of strength stood. The faultless splendor of her slumbering solace was breathtaking. Her imperfect perfection stunned Jo to silent stillness, though his left arm, trapped as it was, was tingling with numbness. Her right hand, he surmised, must feel the same, as it was currently tucked beneath his arm and pillow; but if it was, she was too deep in sleep to notice it. Her other hand rested on the center of his bare chest, the rest of her hugged close to him. Their nakedness was covered by tossed and tangled blankets and sheets, only Jo’s upper torso and Saeko’s shoulders lay bare.

For a few moments, Jo simply lay there and stared, awestruck by her beauty. A silent satisfaction washed over him as the memories of the previous night played over in his head. He wanted nothing more than to lay there with her forever. Alas, the ticking of the analog alarm clock on his nightstand reminded him that eternal happiness was out of reach. Time is the infinite jest. Jo closed his eyes, enjoying the peace while it lasted, only opening them every occasionally to check the clock. Six twenty… six twenty-four… At six twenty-nine Jo reached over with his free hand and turned off the alarm before it could release and wake his sleeping lover; but when he turned back, it was too late. Her obsidian eyes, half lidded with sleep, gazed into his; a soft smile playing on her lips. Lips that rose up to meet his as she pried her arm out from under his head and propped herself up.

”Good morning… how did you sleep?” her voice was soft and sultry, like black silk cascading across her lips.

”Well enough, what with your head crushing my arm. I was afraid it was going to have to be amputated before you woke up.” Jo jibbed playfully, flexing his fingers and shaking the feeling back into his arm.

Saeko’s eyes glared, though a tell-tale smirk made her reproach obviously playful. ”Well, I was lucky to get to sleep at all; what with you snoring like a freight-train.”

”Said the pot to the kettle! You sounded like a buzz-saw through hardwood. If I weren’t so exhausted I’d have been up sooner.”

“Oh, were you exhausted? I wonder why…?” She said, her eyes lighting up as she smiled a mischievous grin.

”Oh, I think it had something to do with this.” Jo said, kissing her deeply.

“Hmm… I thought it was more because of…” And with that, Saeko rolled over, pulling Jo on top of her…
{FTB}

Having been so distracted, Jo was forced to shave and shower hurriedly (though honestly, the shower would’ve gone faster had he been alone in the tub). Double checking to make sure he hadn’t missed a spot while shaving, Jo exited the bathroom dressed sharply in a black business suit, a lavender shirt, and a black tie with stripes of various shades of purple. His hair was combed neatly back, his steel-toed boots perfectly polished (yes, he wears boots with his suit, deal with it!). Saeko wolf-whistled as Jo came down the stairs, but it was he who was nearly given a nosebleed. There she stood in the kitchen wearing nothing but an apron and a smile, bearing a sausage, egg and cheese sandwich on wheat toast. ”Last night, twice this morning, breakfast and a show? How did I get so lucky?” Jo said, trading the sandwich for a kiss.

“Don’t get used to it; I’m not the house-wife type.” Saeko said with a playfully snide smirk. “Now get out of here, Mr. Hand of the Sennin. You’ll be late for your meeting.” After trading “I love you’s” and one more long kiss, Jo headed out the door and boarded the next trolley to the Torre, munching on his sandwich with a dumbstruck smile.
*****​

Jo arrived at the Torre with only a couple of minutes to spare, double checking himself for crumbs before entering and approaching the receptionist. ”Narashi Jo, Chunnin; I’ve got an appointment with Sennin Do Natsu at nine?” He was quickly directed to the Main Branch Sennins Office, a location he had never been to previously. It was said that the office décor changed with each sennin. Jo had never had the opportunity to visit when Masao was in charge. He wondered if Natsu had already changed the place to something more his style, or did it still reflect Masao?

A wave of sadness washed over him as the memory of the Sennin’s death hit him. Saeko had taken it fairly hard, as had Enjeru; though the latter had chosen to lock himself in his room rather than cry openly as his sister had. Since Jo’s return, they had gotten all of Masao’s affairs in order. The house belonged to his children jointly, but Saeko had been spending more time at Jo’s place than at home. Jo had been nothing but supportive since her fathers death, knowing that she needed him to be strong for her. As a result, he’d been holding back on telling her about By-Tor’s surfacing; waiting until she was a little more settled before breaking the news to her. He didn’t want to overburden her with his problems, not now; not when she had so much of her own to deal with. He would need to tell her, and soon; but for now, he had this meeting to deal with. His first meeting as the Hand of the Merces Letifer. Without further ado, Jo raised his hand and knocked on the door.

Hameru Ren

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Not all was silent and still in the early morning hours at the apartment of one Do Natsu. The scratching of pen upon paper trickled through the rooms, the rustling of paper accompanying it every now and then. The creaking noises whenever he adjusted his seating joined the orchestra, and the ticking of the analogue clock directed it's tempo. It was a typical morning for the new Sennin, and had been like that since his previous position. Only the contents of the papers differed slightly since then. The only thing disturbing the ambient noise every now and then was the creaking of the bag that contained his provision of donuts or when he stretched and yawned. Nothing that distracted him from his work, save for the alluring sight of his bed every now and then.

It wasn't until the clock had stricken three, and several more minutes had passed, that the blond gave in to the temptation. He had another busy day tomorrow, Natsu excused himself, and would need to get some rest lest he wanted to come across as a walking corpse. Standing up from his rather messy desk and leaving his even messier study room, he stumbled towards his bed. As he fell into the soft mattress, he momentarily felt a pang of loneliness. It was a feeling the Sennin had felt often recently, and it was the fault of but one woman. Yet the though of that raven-haired beauty was the only thing he needed to drift off towards beautiful, and slightly inappropriate, dreams.

The shrill noise of his alarm clock woke Natsu rudely. Quickly getting out of bed and across the room, he tapped it so the infernal noise would stop. It had been the only way he'd managed stopped his habit of simply snoozing the damn thing and going back to sleep. Looking at the bed and realizing that, contrary to what had transpired moments before in his sleep, it was dreadfully empty, the blond sighed and made his way to the kitchen. Yet no coffee, nosebleed-inducing apron-wearing girlfriend nor breakfast greeted him. His fridge mimicked the emptiness his bed, something his pile of dirty dishes clearly was mocking. The Shinobi didn't even have time to go buy some bread as his clock indicated. It'd be another hungry morning, and all he could do was hope Hitomi would pass by the bakery for him before arriving at the Torre.

Stomach grumbling and almost drifting off to sleep, Natsu jumped up in his seat as Hitomi crackled through the intercom. "Narashi Jo, here for the appointment?" Natsu nodded, taking a good second or two before realizing the intercom would not pass on that signal. "Yes, of course. Send him through, he knows the way." Natsu had kept Masao's office much the way it was. For those who had often visited, it might be noticeable that there were more papers and reports lying about. There were less references to the many firearms Masao had always admired so much. And the bin was filled with donut wrappers of various pastries from all over Kumogakure. There had been no need to much other changes.

At Jo's knocking, Natsu put down his pen. "Enter." He called out, nodding at the Hand as he came in. "Morning Jo. Hope the day's been treating you well so far?" Natsu opened up with the small talk. The ex-Spymaster assumed it had been though, judging by the man's joyful glint in his eyes and sharply dressed suit. The Sennin was dressed similar, only his was of a charcoal color and his shoes were not steel-toed. The dress policy was something he likely wouldn't touch, though the numerous requests from the Kunoichi of the branch could change that point of view.

As they concluded the greetings and small talk, Natsu opened up the meeting. "Right then, down to business. I'm sure your new function is already presenting you with sufficient work, so I shan't keep you long. However, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Village, the interaction between the branches, the main branch currently and the Merces Letifer." For someone hoping to keep it short, he sure was asking a lot of questions. Yet the new Sennin was curious about Jo's point of view. The Chunin had proven to have a to-the-point and non-bullshit attitude at the last meeting, so it'd be a refreshingly honest answer no doubt.

[OoC: Apologies. Tried posting yesterday and made the newbish mistake of not having a back up in Word.. >.<]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Jo entered the paperwork-strewn office unable to determine if a change had been made due to his lack of familiarity with the place. He took a seat in the chair in front of the desk, the left corner of his mouth turning up in his small smile as he answered the customary small-talk with a similarly customary response. ”It’s been treating me well enough, sir; I hope your morning has been good as well.” The reciprocated well-wishes were routine, and expected. Jo could tell the man was malnourished and sleep deprived just by looking at him. Whatever other necessary small-talk would occur as it was expected to, then Do Natsu got down to business.

Jo leaned back in the chair, tapping his fingertips together beneath his chin and furrowing his brow as he tried to come up with a diplomatic response to the questions he was presented… aaaaaaaand he failed. ”Well… I’m finding it hard to describe the current state of the Village without using the word “clusterfuck”. Jo paused for a moment for effect before continuing, ticking off his points on his fingers as he went. ”We’ve just lost a Sennin, one of our premier medical chiefs is out of action, the Raikage is currently overwhelmed with the political state of both the nation and the village, the Sennin of the medical branch is too busy being on his menstrual cycle to help, and the three branches are too busy competing with each other to worry about any of these things.

As for the Main Branch; we’ve just lost Takaki-freaking-Masao. No offense, but he was the heart and soul of our branch, and no one will ever be able to replace him. What I can say is that, regardless of our loss, we are the strongest we’ve ever been. We have a great group of tried and true, up and coming shinobi working to climb out of the shadows of their past and rise from the ashes of the Kingslayers. We’ve got a strong, talented new Sennin who’s ready to start taking care of the business that was pushed to the wayside by his predecessor, and get the Main Branch back on track; and I’m not just brown nosing.”
Jo reassured him sincerely. ”As far as the Merces Letifer is concerned; the whole department is defunct. We’ve been so wrapped up in the Kingslayer debacle that we’ve completely stopped completing bounty contracts. Not to speak ill of the dead, but Masao wasn’t doing the division any favors by turning it into his own personal special-ops team. The original purpose of the Merces Letifer was to execute targets in such a manner that it couldn’t be traced back to us. As it was, Masao basically turned us into an ANBU special-ops team.

We need to get the Merces Letifer back on track. This division is supposed to specialize in covert assassination, not direct combat. That’s a job for the Deathwatch. There’s a lot of uncompleted contracts falling to the wayside, and I intend on getting us caught up. I’ll do my best, but we’re extremely understaffed; and, by understaffed, I mean I’m the only active assassin of the Merces Letifer. There is no Master of Couriers; but honestly, that sect sort-of runs itself. I’ll be keeping my eyes open for someone to take over the courier department. While the day-to-day deliveries inside the village are standard operating procedure, we need someone who can compile a group of hard-nosed shinobi that can deliver confidential messages between our village and the rest of the world; particularly government officials and other shinobi villages. We also need to do some recruiting for our assassination department. I’m fairly skilled, but I’m only one man. I can’t kill everyone.
Jo paused for a moment to make sure he hadn’t missed anything. ”That about sums up our situation. I’m not sure how the Deathwatch is doing, what with Zaku gone; but I have no worries about the Intelligence Service. Between Hikari and Tama, they’re fairly well off.”

”The one thing I think all three branches can celebrate is the Academy. While it’s technically under our branch’s list of responsibility, with you as the active headmaster, all three branches tend to help with the instruction of the students and share the responsibility equally. If we have one thing that we all agree on, it’s this: we must educate the next generation. If we’re ever going to be able to unite as branches, it will be through the Academy. The only downside is that there are so few students that actually survive to graduation, we end up fighting over them when it comes time to recruit.”

“What do you think of all of this, sir?”

Hameru Ren

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ah, there it was. That refreshing honesty Natsu had so often found missing in conversations during his time as Spymaster. It, just as the Head Ambassador function, involved a lot of politics. It had rapidly taught the, back then, naive Chunin just how much meaning could be hidden in a word or motion. The blond had first feared, then accepted and eventually revelled in the sensation of the word game. He had compared it often to taking someone's life. A bold statement that had shocked the few people he had confided in. Some accused him of valuing a life too little, others thinking he severely exaggerated the entire deal. Yet unlike the killing, which the Sennin saw as a necessary deed rather than an act of evil, the political battlefield he found he could truly enjoy.

"I think you're godrotting right." Natsu replied to Jo with a sigh, as his attention was drawn from his past to the current meeting. "Though I still have to prove true to the honour you're accrediting me for." A soft smile played on his lips, as he processed the information Jo had just presented him. "Masao had been an ANBU for most of his life, it is not unusual he tried to shape the Main Branch according to their ideal. Regardless, I'll do my best to maintain the Main Branch as the best Branch. You are right however, we will need to recruit."

"I am quite certain your blade is sharp enough for most any a neck, but you are right in the fact that we need more bodies to keep up with the bounties. It's a point I tried relaying to the Raikage last time as well. I trust you will be able to set your division to it. You have full control over the recruitment process, though if you'd like some help, never hesitate to contact me. I will delegate the same message to Hikari and Tama. As for the Deathwatch.. I'll request the ANBU to keep supporting us until we have a sufficiently qualified Division head."

"The Students though, is what has got me worried. While you are right all thee branches work together to ensure their future, I fear for the slowing down of new potential. I'll ask the Academy Scouts to increase their patrols. We simply need more Students. They are our greatest treasure after all. I am certain Ayumu-Sama and Kushin-Sama will readily agree with me. And on that note, I will be scheduling a meeting with Kushin sometime soon. It does not involve you, but I couldn't help.. notice.. the dislike. Not that me and him are any better."

There were a few things more on Natsu's mind, but he realized full well both of the Shinobi had other matters to attend to. Still, if there was one more thing on hi mind.. "I'd also like to ask how you are holding up. I am not just talking about Masao's death or Seako's bed here." He mentioned it casually, possibly even a teasing tone. It took a lot of him considering he had mentioned Masao just before. "It may have simply been a wrong impression on my part, but you seemed to have some.. internal struggles during the last mission. Is everything alright?" The Sennin asked. Not just as a superior to a subordinate, to ensure the man could fulfil his tasks. Also as one friend to another.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Jo listened to Natsu’s response, his concurrence with the new Chunin’s opinions settling his mind. He wasn’t surprised that the Main Branch Sennin picked up on his low opinion of the Medical Sennin. ”I wouldn’t Say I “dislike” him, per say. It’s more along the lines of an aversion to someone who is willing to throw a complete hissy-fit in front of his peers and commanding officers.” Honestly, Jo didn’t know the Sennin very well. In fact, the only time he’d ever met him was at the meeting with the Raikage after the Tenouzan fiasco. First impressions really were important; this one had shaped Jo’s opinion about the man in a negative light.

He nodded at the compliment about his skills, appreciative of the vote of confidence in his ability to both take out targets and recruit new assassins. The meeting seemed to be going well enough so far, very standard-operating-procedure. That is, until Natsu made his inquiry. It was the last thing Jo thought he would have to deal with today, the last thing he wanted to talk about. He leaned forward in his seat, planting his elbows on his knees and lacing his fingers together before resting his chin on them. His brow furrowed, eyes clenched closed, and a deep breath sighed.

Then his eyes snapped open, and he stood. The slow, deliberate steps of Jo’s steel-toed boots thumped on the wood floor as he walked over to the arrow-slit of a window, the only portal to the outside world in the room. Jo stared out over the village, wondering how many times Masao had done the same… and reflecting on how beautiful it was. After a couple of moments, in which time he considered not only what he was about to say, but also to whom he was about to say it, he spoke. ”What I’m about to tell you must not leave this room.” Jo feared not only the fact that his mental state might come into question, but also that he might have to go under medical surveillance and testing. He’d had quite enough of that at the Academy, thank you very much. ”Ever since my first kill at the Shoguns Name-Day Ball, I’ve been having trouble keeping the visions of my kills out of my head. I was constantly reliving that day inside my head; and, every time I’d have to take a life, it would just ad to the slideshow. Sometimes, I’d wake up out of a dead sleep from the nightmares; or, if I’d zone out when I was awake, I’d see them. For weeks I beat myself up about it; I thought it was just some mild post traumatic stress disorder. I didn’t understand why I was reliving the worst moments of my life in my head. The only time I had any peace was when I was with Saeko.” Natsu didn’t need to know about Saeko’s battle with her inner demons, or that they found solace in each other in the fact that they could see past each other’s darkness and love each other anyway.

”Then I went to Marsh.” No doubt Natsu had been filled in on the events of the mission there; how the entire team had almost perished in the atomic blast that wiped out the secret research facility and half the mountain. ”While I was unconscious, I had an otherworldly encounter with… lets just say he’s a deity.” Jo already sounded crazy talking about interacting with a God. It would only add fuel to the fire if he told everyone their universe was created by a coalition of authors and that they were living in the stories They wrote. ”He felt I was in need of some help, that I wouldn’t survive the explosion without otherworldly assistance. So he gave me what he considered a gift.” Jo turned to Natsu. ”A demon.You’ve no doubt heard of the Jinchuuriki Kinjutsu; in which a demon is sealed inside a shinobi’s body. As far as I can tell, what I have is very similar, though he isn’t held by a chakra seal. The best way I can describe it is that our destinies are too intertwined to be pulled apart.” Jo didn’t expect Natsu to understand; hell, he didn’t understand it all himself.

”Anyway; the beast inside me is called By-Tor. From what I can tell, he’s the embodiment of the seven deadly sins. For a while, he just messed with my emotions. I’d find myself suddenly and irrationally angry, hungry, horny. It was only through sheer willpower and love for Saeko that I didn’t hit the Red Light District and blow every penny I have; but, for a while, I wasn’t seeing bodies every time I closed my eyes. Then, in Tenouza, before I killed those priests, By-Tor showed me something about myself. It turns out, I enjoy killing; well, mostly the hunt. You know; stalking your mark, studying them, discovering their weakness, waiting for the right moment to strike…” Jo seemed lost in a memory for a moment, his eyes going distant. Then he shook himself back to reality. ”I’m still mortified by the thought of killing another human being, but I have to admit that there’s a part of me that likes it.”

Jo returned to the chair and sat in it, seemingly drained by the experience of telling someone about his struggle. ”I’m not proud… Hell, I haven’t even told Saeko yet. This thing inside of me, it amplifies ever dark thought, every perversion, every unclean desire that I have. It’s something I am constantly battling; and sometimes, I’m afraid I might lose.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t mean to burden you with all of this. None of this will effect my work. By-Tor gets off on the adrenaline rush of the kill; he wouldn’t do anything to jeopardize the mission.”

{MFT: 976}

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back