Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Funeral of a Raikage and Sennin [Event]

Junan

Yen
ASP
Deaths
It had been hard on him the past couple of days. Life changing events had occurred, and he had gone from being retired from service life and working as ANBU blacksmith to once more taking up the robes of ANBU Sennin. Yet this wasn't the change which had caused him the greatest of upheavals. Had he been asked a week earlier he would have turned away the position, told them that he was done with that work, been honoured by the thought but advised that another take the place and that he would simply keep his eye on the branch from the ground. But it hadn't been offered a week earlier, and it was only after Shin's death had been announced that he had been asked.

More than Shin died that day. Shin, Daisuke and Ejji had all fallen. The information given to him of the deaths was only the same as what was being given out officially, and Akira knew something was wrong with it. The people targetted didn't make sense. Yet an assassination of Shin made sense from a certain perspective. There had been troubles brewing and he was aware of that from only a few days before the incident when Daisuke and Shin met with Akira privately. That Daisuke had been killed in the conflict also made sense, if Hoshikata was after chaos, or if he was trying to kill the leaders of the village then that made sense as well. But Ejji was a variable which didn't make sense. Too young to be anything more than a Genin and with so many other targets in the room why would Hoshikata target a child. Yes it would likely be written off as crossfire, that the kid didn't stand a chance in the maelstrom of high powered attacks and that even hiding under a desk likely wouldn't be enough for survival. But it didn't make sense to Akira. The others were mostly unscathed. Still this was all something that he would investigate, something which he personally would seek the truth on, and should he find that he was being lied to then blood would flow through the streets until every ounce of impurity was gone and only the good remained.

A small woman approached Akira with a clipboard, it was Hitomi Matsuki, it seemed that she had been asked to perform one last task in service to Shin, organising his funeral.

"The procession will begin in one minute. Are you ready?"

Akira nodded.

Behind him was Kitsune, a woman older than himself who looked much younger, the new Medical Sennin. A new Main Branch Sennin was yet to be appointed as far as he could tell. It was going to be a new Kumogakure. All new leaders, all new agendas. He wondered how the village would end up looking like after the dust had settled, whether there would be more fatalities or whether this period of rebuilding would be for the better. He hoped for the later, but as ANBU Sennin he planned for the former.

Trumpets roared, announcing the procession to begin, proclaiming that the coffins of Shin and Daisuke would be led through the streets of Kumogakure. The military band marched behind the coffins, their music strange, filled with chakra making it ebb and flow however they desired. It was eerie and filled Akira's body with both a strength to push forward, but also with a distinct feeling of loss. Perhaps a minor genjutsu in the music, or perhaps just very well created music.

In his right hand he held the front left corner of Shin's coffin and in his left the front right corner of Daisuke's. When asked whether he would like to be a bearer for either he had said both. The reaction was one of mirth and confusion when he had said it, but it didn't take long before they realised he was giving an honest answer. When he was then asked for how long he would like to bear for he answered the entire procession. Then it was a look as though he were crazy, but he was once more serious.

The coffins were walked down the streets, the giant figure of Akira between them with the diminutive figure of Kitsune behind him, her hand on both as well, though it was more about being a part of it than it was carrying the weight, Akira didn't mind carrying her part as well, the muscles on his arms were strong and resilient, he knew this would give him pain, but it was a pain of burden that he would gladly bear for the last trip of his friends. There were a couple of others of note, but doubly of note to him was that there seemed more volunteers to carry Daisuke's coffin than Shin's. Akira knew that this was likely to do with the lack of family Shin had, and although welcoming to one and all, none were as close as he was to the Raikage. Yet he noticed that Matsuki had decided that she too would take the option of helping carry Shin's coffin at the beginning and end of the procession, and for that he was glad.

A boy wanting to help carry Daisuke's coffin all the way was Daigo, or Akira was fairly sure it was. Akira would need to meet with the boy at a later stage to carry out his promise to Daisuke. He wasn't at the front of the coffin however... it seemed that the position was reserved for councillors, so he stood at the middle and held it there. Behind him was Keiji, a boy Akira had noted for being Kushin's student, but it seemed he had some attachment to Daisuke as well. He was on rotation however, planned to carry it at the start and at the end of the walk.

The people of Kumogakure had lined the streets. Some cried, others did not, but many folded into the street to follow the procession as it made its way to the graveyard where the pair would be buried. Akira simply looked directly ahead, a grim expression on his face, a face which many recognised and some honoured with a reverence held for the son of Shinbatsu. He heard the followers of his former master as he passed them, they called out their prayers for Shin and Daisuke.

Almost every five hundred meters a new group of bearers would come in, the Council members were taking turns at taking the positions at the front on the other sides of the coffin from Akira and Kitsune. He was both appreciative of their doing so, but also knew that for some it would only be a matter of protocol.

They neared the graveyard and it was only as they placed the coffins above the graves and Akira moved to take his position on a pedestal before them that he realised how many people had turned out. Thousands of Kumogakureans were there, honouring their fallen leader with their presence, tears and love. Akira too was honoured by their being there, he looked down at his feet and swallowed a lump rising in his throat before raising his head, he was determined to not show his emotion even though he knew that he wouldn't be judged if he did so.

A priest stood before Akira as the music quietened, the ceremony beginning.

"We gather here today to celebrate the life of Hayata Shin and Kaguya Daisuke who have now returned to their home with Our God, Raiden. May their brothers welcome them with open arms and those who came before them guide them through their passages before Raiden giving them the strength and wisdom to remain there for all eternity. Praise be that Raiden accepts them for the work they have done in his most holy of lands Kumogakure, and honour them as fallen hero's, men who lay down their lives so that the lives of all of us gathered here would be better for it."

The priest then looked to Akira.

"A man before you was their friend in life, and remains their friend in death, and he wishes to speak on their behalf and to them on behalf of you all."

Stepping back he offered the position to Akira, Akira bowed and then took his position at the front of the podium looking out at the thousands of faces before him.

"For the most part you know of me, and yet I know few of you, but the same could not be said of Hayata Shin for he made it his business to know each and every one of you. Growing up together he had his weaknesses as all of us here have our weaknesses, but because of that he grew stronger in a way than any man I have known before him. He cared for every soul in the village, he brought with him a wisdom unmatched by any Raikage in our long history and a willingness to forgive where others would punish. He loved you all as his family for that was how he saw each of you. In his dying breath I would place my life on his still being willing to forgive those who had wronged him, for he would not want there to be resentment towards them, or for there to be blood shed on his behalf. He successfully brought the village from the brink of falling into endless conflict back to peace, and no other Raikage can claim the same. He took the seat when civil war had broken out in the low lands, when war had broken out between Bear and Marsh, after Kiyo had been crippled by an attack by the group known as the Kingslayers. On all fronts he was assailed, but on all fronts he had the strength of character to prevail above it all, to fix the problems. He knew who he needed to lead the branches to make the decisions he couldn't make, to lead where he couldn't lead. Men and women who he could trust. He was a brilliant judge of character but whether you were his best friend or a stranger he would treat you as nothing less than his family.

I have been honoured to be his friend and have known him since first joining the Academy. I have known him for thirty years and know that although he never had what we would think of as a family that he felt he had the largest family of all, for everyone in this village was someone who he loved as such."

Akira looked at everyone before him. It was eerily quiet with only the occassional baby crying, though in such a large gathering even that was muffled and distant.

"Daisuke was another who I have known since the academy, though he was a little older and advanced that either Shin or myself. He was a man of service, who served this village in every way he could, eventually laying down his life for the village. No greater act can be achieved in the life of a shinobi, one day I too hope that I can die with as much honour and prestige as Daisuke has done."

It was shorter, but this was more about the Raikage than a Sennin, and he knew that Daisuke had only been a Sennin for a short time. The village wouldn't want too much being said, but what was said should be enough.

"Thank you all for being here. You honour their lives with your presence, you honour Kumogakure with your spirit. Let the strength of those who come before you provide you with a platform to launch yourselves from." With that Akira stepped back and bowed to the Priest once more who stepped forward.

The next person to speak here is Daigo, the cousin of Daisuke who would like to say a few words. He bowed to Daigo as the young man would take the front stage.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I thank you on behalf of my cousin for your attendance here today. Daisuke was a man of strange fashion, even stranger methods, and most importantly a man with a kind heart. In his youth, Daisuke was quiet and off kilter. He spent most of his time training in the kaguyan ways as I did, by our uncle Kaguya Dashi, whom was also a servant of cloud many years ago. While originally sent to cloud because of a mistake, Daisuke learned to love the village hidden in the clouds just as I have in my very short time here. Daisuke was no a remarkable shinobi early on in his career. In fact, he was held back from taking the genin exams and barely passed his chuunin exams. It was from his bonds with his fellow ninja that he learned what was true strength.

Bonds forged with fellow members including but not limited to Saito, Shin, Kitsune, Keiji, Kahako, Ayumu, and of course, Junko helped to shape him into the man we all knew and loved. During the demon invasion, Daisuke fought alongside his fellow ninja. During the uprising, Daisuke fought alongside his fellow ninja and was field promoted from a Chuunin to a Special Jounin. During the Bear-Marsh War aftermath, Daisuke healed his fellow ninja and attended to the deceased. It was this event which led to him enrolling into the medical branch where he eventually became the Sennin. Forever a restless worry wort, he began writing several letters to a few of his allies as the years past. It was his request that these letters be disseminated should he perish.

My cousin truly cared for this village and left his final words here for me to recite. Please take his words to heart."
he said before pulling out a piece of paper, unfolding it he held it before him, his hands trembling slightly. Then he began to read from it.
"To my dearest and greatest love Kumogakure,

I hope you and all those that reside within your walls are well. If this letter is being recited then it means I am no longer of this world. I dare not speculate as to how I passed on. Perhaps I fell in battle, died from an incurable illness, or maybe I somehow managed the impossible and died of old age. Regardless of the circumstances, I know your fortified walls will continue to keep the village protected, to the best of your ability. As these are my last requests as your Sennin, I ask that you please consider them wholeheartedly.

First and foremost, I thank you and all its inhabitants. Thank you for the harsh life lessons, like the time my team and I were tricked into killing the innocent, whom we thought were mercenaries, thanks to falsified information. It taught me to question my orders and to check and recheck the evidence. I thank you for to the library and the academy which taught me the country’s true language and the worlds knowledge. Thank you for my classmates which I strived with which to keep up. I thank the branches for their loyal service to the preservation of cloud. Preserve Cloud’s culture in the Susukino district and the village built on clouds. Preserve dragon tooth pass and its legendary walls. The Nimbus Delectatio, Torre Celeste, Vespasian Colosseum, Tarterian Specus, I have fond memories of them all, but the one memory I am fond of the most is that Cloud is a place of peace. Please strive to continue this way of life. To the older generation, You all might recall an excellent era in our history, when the days seemed endless and the joy seemed eternal. That was because of Peace. My friend, Akira Saito, was an exemplary member of the ANBU branch. His example and training regiment has led to the deterrence of major threats before they even became known to the public. My friend, Hayata Shin, was an excellent peacemaker and negotiator. During his reign, he has forged alliances and relationships with other factions and villages and I hope he continues to do so.

Peace, Love, and Visible deterrence is the message I desire everyone to take from this day. Never stop striving for greatness. To the younger generation, follow in our footsteps lightly, learn from our mistakes and strive to create a better path. This will not be the end of my service to Cloud. While my spirit may be at rest with our lord, my body shall remain here in service to cloud, through my cousin. This is my wish. Respect it.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to read what are to be my last words. I thank you for all you have done and for being so loyal to me through this transition. I have never trusted many people, but you are one of a select few. I wish you the best of luck in all your servitude to Kumogakure.

Forever a sincere and humble servant of Kumogakure,

Kaguya Daisuke"

During the last few words the trembling grew and tears had begun running down the young Daigo's face, his voice shook as the emotion ran through him and the love in his cousin's words sounded from his own voice to his own heart. The old hand of the priest landed on the boys shoulder, Daigo turning away as though ashamed of showing weakness and moved back. Akira's hand this time grabbing the boys arm and pulling him closer, leaning down to whisper "You spoke well. Daisuke would be proud." to him. The young man looked into Akira's face and after a short moment nodded his thanks in silence.

The priest however had continued to speak to the congregation Finally one last person will speak. Hitomi Matsuki was the secretary of Hayata Shin and other than Akira Saito none knew him better.

He bowed to the woman as she approached the front of the stage. She nodded back and then spoke.

"I do not have much to add as Saito-sama has said everything that could have been said." She began to clear her throat before she continued "The first time I met with Hayata-sama it was during some strange times. It was during the inception of the civil war in the village and there was an incident that lead to my house to catch on fire. I was a little girl at the time so I don't remember everything but I do remember Hayata-sama carrying me in his arms as he moved me out of the building. He was among several shinobi who trying to keep the village in control. I do remember those deep gray eyes that rested underneath those clears glasses so distant and cold. He was not a man that people wanted to be around but you can imagine that a young girl could be captivated by a man who saved her life. Many years later I found myself becoming his assistant at Aurora Eruditio when he reached the rank of main branch sennin and headmaster. He was a different man no longer holding on to an austere countenance but a man filled with optimism and passion. He was serious with his work as the headmaster making his mission to develop ever student that walked into the academy. Sometimes...well most of the time his idealism got the better of him. There were many times that I had to keep him on track prevent him from getting into trouble with the village council." She chuckled reminiscing about the past.

"Despite his weakness, he was a man that could not be swayed by the hatred of his enemies nor the betrayal of people. All that mattered to him was that all shinobi would become a tool of peace and hope for all people and to bring them together. Even though he is gone I know he will live through all of us when we serve one another." Hitomi reached for a cloth that rested on her blouse as she wiped her tears. She retrieved her clipboard as she walked away from the podium to sit down beside Saito on the stage. Her face was still drenched with tears and black mascara.

She nodded to the priest once more and took her position once more at the podium and he took the front stage.

"Thank you all for your kind words spoken to two great hero's and servants of Kumogakure." He started and nodded to the Sennin. Then he turned back to the crowd.

"The lives of Hayata Shin and Kaguya Daisuke have touched everyone present in some way, and the effects of their lives will continue to make an impact on all who live in Kumogakure for years to come. With that said I prey that you will all take your time to come and visit the grave and pass on your prayers to them so that they might receive your words in the afterlife and know that they will be forever loved.

For Kumogakure.
For Raiden.
Amen"

[OOC: This is an Event thread and as such will not take up a thread slot. Please feel free to post your character participating at the event in whichever way you would like them to.

Tsuyoshi Junko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The Prodigy Brothers said:
16aqyds.jpg

Tsuyoshi Junko said:
x25ick.jpg

Standing in the distance, Junko stood on top of a rather tall building dressed in an all black button down suit. If one was mistaken and noticed his location, they'd surely think he was up to something malicious like a assassin holding a sniper rifle. Smoking his herbal cigarette, nutrients filled every ounce of his body as he exhaled a puff of smoke.

20k85lx.jpg

Hayata Shins student, Tsuyoshi Aiko placed a gentle hand on his brothers shoulder wearing the same suit as Junko. Looking at each other, they were already in tears. Both of their sensei's had crossed over into the afterlife and they didn't do anything to protect them. The prodigy brothers was on the scene from the beginning, following the coffins at a distance and out of sight every bit of the way. Frustration filled their hearts at the fact that two possible vermin of the village assisted two unknown shinobi carrying the coffin.

Getting the "official" announcement, everyone was informed of the series of event that was believe to be the truth. Some, like Junko and Aiko, had their suspicion about the scenario. It was said that Shin, Daisuke, and Ejji were killed in a dispute between them and Isaki Hoshikata in a fit rage from his denial of being unable to join the village. It was also said that Hoshikata acted out of personal vendetta, Shima Ai suffered severe psychological trauma, and the other three survivors had a swift response that took down the former mizukage.

Earlier that day, Junko took Aiko into a different void of his own. A place which every word and thought shared went unheard by others. Telling him every bit of information he had gathered, including the autopsy, the two promised to find Justice, one way or another.

In tears on top of the building, the brothers listened to Akira after being introduced by the priest. Apparently, he was a very old friend of the two for over thirty years. "Since the academy days?" Junko thought as he raised a brow.

"Interesting, isn't it?." Aiko said wiping his tears.

"Interesting indeed." Junko said in response. Akira was possibly someone the brothers could talk to. If he truly loved Shin and Daisuke as much as it appeared, he'd surely see some fault in the public announcement and investigate.

"He's the new ANBU sennin. Didn't you mention something about wanting to meet with him?"

"Yeah, about me starting in the Sentou Henka division."

"That'll be a great way to get to know him, but you'll have to be careful."

"Yeah, I know."

"Right now, I don't know who to trust."

Giving Aiko a nod, Junko agreed. Soon, another individual stood to speak. "Daigo?" Junko mumbled as he squinted.

"You know him?"

"No, but I remember when Daisuke mentioned him during our training outside the village. He told me how he whipped up on his cousin while training under their uncle." Junko said with a smirk, watching as the lad unfolded a piece of paper. Listening to the words he spoke from his sensei put a twist in Junko's stomach. He was once again in tears, trembling as he kneeled. "Sensei, thank you. Your teachings are everything to me." Junko said as his eyes throbbed.

Soon, Matsuki spoke, an individual that knew Shin just as much as Aiko. Listening made Aiko reminisce, thinking about all his marvelous moments with his master, including their last meeting. Reaching into his pocket, Aiko pulled out a small parchment.
"Thanks sensei, you'll always be apart of me." Aiko said looking down at the documentation which would give him his sensei's eyes.

"The lives of Hayata Shin and Kaguya Daisuke have touched everyone present in some way, and the effects of their lives will continue to make an impact on all who live in Kumogakure for years to come. With that said I prey that you will all take your time to come and visit the grave and pass on your prayers to them so that they might receive your words in the afterlife and know that they will be forever loved.

For Kumogakure.
For Raiden.
Amen"

24odl3q.jpg

With that said, the brothers dropped down in front of the grave sites in a blink of an eye. Standing amongst thousands, the brothers placed hands on their sensei's coffins and bowed their heads. In moments, shifting through the crowd came Karin. Surely a supportive figure in the matter as she stood to Junkos side as they prayed.

Topic Entered
Npc(s) Used: Tsuyoshi Aiko & Hyuuga Karin
Mft
WC:692(Subtracted npc inputs)

Akuro Kunashi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
A sea of black. Thousands of people adorned mostly in funeral garb all moving as one contiguous unit, all grieving the same loss. People who joined were simply consumed by the masses, joining its numbers, lost in their identity but present in their sorrow. This unit slowed when the pallbearers slowed, sped up when they sped up, and eventually stopped as the pallbearers did. The mass mutated to fill it's surroundings, as a liquid does in a beaker. The only constant of this black-covered entity was the rain of tears, dampening the streets on which it moved.

Kunashi had left his home in his funeral attire and joined the mass following behind the coffins about midway through the procession. Still new to the city, he did not know either victim personally but knew greatly of their importance. Having heard of the kind-hearted Shin and noble Daisuke through whisperings and conversations since his time in Kumogakure, he understood that their loss was a major one. However, it wasn't until a man by the name of Akira Saito began to speak of his lifelong friend, Shin, that Kunashi began to cry significantly. He was moved by the man's speech and could not even dare to imagine what he was going through. As he watched the hulk of a man turn away, he was impressed by his strength and control of his emotion at such a time. Kunashi continuously wiped tears from his cheeks as the ceremony continued and finally ended. Bowing his head, he listened to the priests' final words.

</COLOR>

For Kumogakure.
For Raiden.
Amen"​

<COLOR color="#0080BF">"Amen"

As Kunashi lifted his head, he noticed people had moved toward the caskets, placing their hands on them and saying words of closure to the fallen. Kunashi followed suit, paying his respects to his elders and leaders by first going to Daisuke's coffin. Thanking him for what he has done and wishing him eternal happiness, he began to move to Shin's coffin when he bumped into Junko. He noticed tears falling from the older man's face. Kunashi hugged him and said, "My mother told me that when people die, they move on to a better place.. I'm sure Daisuke knew that and I would be willing to bet he is in that better place." Still, the sight of this strong man crying at the side of Daisuke's coffin wrenched at Kunashi's heart, causing him to tear up once again. Kunashi moved to Shin's coffin, standing next to a man similar to Junko, but with white hair. Kunashi whispered the same prayers for him as he did Daisuke. Placing his hand on the Raikage's coffin, tears began to fall like rain. Such an influence was taken from this world, and Kunashi hadn't an idea what was to come next.

Kogami Ayumu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The trumpets were nearly deafening at first, but Ayumu’s ears adjusted to them quickly as the procession began. Ayumu and Kahako stood side by side watching as two coffins were being carried by several people. Ayumu, like most of the men present, was adorned in a black suit and tie. In Kahako’s arms was the couple’s newborn son, Susumu. He had been sleeping peacefully, but the sound of the trumpets had awoken him and all hell had broken loose. Fortunately for everyone else, the trumpets drown out the sound of a poor child crying. Ayumu reached over to touch his son’s face as Kahako tried to console him.

Meanwhile, Ayumu began to make note of the men and women of the procession. Of those carrying the coffin the first that stood out was the new ANBU Sennin, Akira Saito- Ayumu’s replacement. The man was a legend, few did not know of him- especially in the Sennin. It was a relief that someone like him had been chosen for the position. He had experience with it, after all, and the branch would no doubt be in good hands.

Kitsune, too, shared the burden of the coffins as the new Medical Sennin. Ayumu knew her, of course. Not only was she Kahako’s sensei, but she had also “died” to save his life and the life of the Raikage once before. Everyone had thought her dead, and yet she had returned through the miracle of some relic that nobody thought would work. It had just taken a while for her to come back. Ayumu assumed she had a nice vacation in the meantime.

Keiji also aided in carrying the coffins, presumably because he was high ranking in the medical branch. Ayumu had met him a couple of times and knew him as a frenemy of Kahako. Another boy who Ayumu did not recognize also aided in the procession alongside councillors who took turns “helping” mostly for the sake of appearances although surely some of them were actually friends with the Raikage and Sennin.

The news of Shin and Daisuke’s deaths had reached Ayumu no sooner than it had the general populace. Had it happened months earlier he would have been one of the first to hear of it, as ANBU Sennin. In fact, he might have been there himself when it happened. It was almost a certainty he would have been, really. He might have died too, or he might have been able to prevent it. He wasn’t there, however, and he remained while his Raikage and former fellow Sennin were now in coffins before him.

There was some measure of guilt that came with that. Some would tell him it was stupid to have such a feeling, but he couldn’t shake it. A mission had left him unable to use chakra and thus forced him to leave his position as Sennin. Even now he was in the process of having his abilities restored to him through regular medical visits. Sighing, Ayumu silently held Kahako’s hand as he watched the procession end and the priest begin the ceremony.

The priest said a few shorts words before introducing Saito. The man had known Shin since they were young, and so knew the man well. He described the type of man Shin was, a man of peace and love which Ayumu had come to understand well in his time as Sennin. Many times Ayumu and the other Sennin would disagree with Shin, but you couldn’t deny that he had the village’s best interest at heart. He did all he could to keep peace and treat everyone fairly, even if not everyone agreed with it. Taking his life and depriving the village of him could only be described as an act of extreme selfishness. Ayumu narrowed his eyes and hardened his expression. He didn’t want to show the sadness he felt at that moment.

Apparently Saito had also known Daisuke since the academy. The words he had for the former medical Sennin were not as long winded, but undoubtedly no less genuine. He had died trying to defend Shin, and that alone made him good in Ayumu’s books. He had only known Daisuke personally for a short while while they both served as Sennin, but he could tell the man was incredibly loyal to the village. They had become friends at Daisuke’s welcoming party. It was a shame they hadn’t had longer.

As Saito stepped aside, one of those that aided in carrying the caskets stepped forward. This was Daigo, apparently a cousin of Daisuke. He said some words for his cousin which confirmed what Ayumu thought of the man. Daigo’s mention of Ayumu by name caught him off guard. Did Daisuke truly consider him an influence like that? It only made Ayumu wish he had been given more time to get to know the man. As Daigo finished recounting the major events of Daisuke’s lives, he closed with a letter from the man himself.

Daisuke had apparently had the foresight to leave behind words to be said to the village in the event of his passing. They were words of encouragement and inspiration. In what he knew would be his final message to the world, he sought to bring comfort to those that heard it. The last of the letter was a personal message, it seemed, to his cousin. Understandably the boy had begun to cry, it was impressive that he had managed to finish the letter. He now stepped aside for one final speaker.

This time it was Shin’s secretary whom Ayumu had spoken with on a few occassions. She described how Shin had once saved her life and recounted how he had changed over the years. Though apparently once he had been cold and calculating, he had developed into the peace-loving man they had all known. Her final description of him couldn’t be more true. He had certainly never allowed his enemies to change him. Hitomi, too, began to cry. Ayumu cast his gaze down to avoid watching. All of this crying was contagious, but he wouldn’t catch it.

The priest gave his final words to the crowd and invited them to come to the graves if they wished to say farewell one last time. With that, the ceremony came to a close with an amen, solemnly repeated by the crowd.

”Amen…” Ayumu whispered, squeezing Kahako’s hand in his own. His chest rose and fell in a sigh as he turned to look at her. ”We should go and… say goodbye,” he said, waiting for her agreement before beginning to head towards where the coffins were. There was a line, naturally, but they were at least close to the front of it. It didn’t take long before it was their turn to approach. Ayumu released Kahako’s hand for the moment and placed it on Shin’s coffin.

”Hayata-sama. We didn’t always agree, but I could always see that you wanted what was best for Kumogakure and that you wanted to do what was right. I always respected that about you. You were a great Raikage and man. I believe your love for peace brought about change in this village that will shape its future for the better. I’m sorry I couldnt’ be there to defend you. Rest well,” Ayumu whispered, mostly to himself. If Shin could hear him he didn’t imagine he’d need to yell for the message to reach him. Next, he stepped up to Daisuke’s coffin.

”Daisuke. We didn’t know each other our whole lifetimes, but I still thought of you as a friend. I really wish we had more time. As a colleague, you had my utmost respect for taking over your position so unexpectedly. I understand how hard that was. The village has lost a great shinobi and Sennin. Rest well,” he said under his breath, staring at the coffin. In a way, Daisuke was similar to Ayumu. He had little time to prepare before his position was thrust upon him. That seemed to be the way with Sennin.

Having said his piece to each of the departed, he stepped away from the coffins and waited for Kahako. Once she had finished paying her respects she returned to his side and he placed an arm around her while with his free hand he gently stroked Susumu's head.

[Topic Left]

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Even as she covered Susumu’s ears when the trumpets blared, the infant in her arms let out a screeching wail in surprise at the foreign noise. On cue, Ayumu’s hand reached around her, touching his son in order to help console him as she whispered words of calming to the babe. They were both dressed in black, Ayumu in a suit, and she in a dark kimono meant for such occasions. As the pallbearers proceeded, Kahako followed the throng of people all the while mumbling calming words to her wailing son.

In reality, Kahako had wished she could do the same. There was such a profound feeling of loss within her. Shin had been a part of the village from the moment she entered its doors. Daisuke just as long. They were both good and loyal men. She held her child a little closer with one hand as she gently squeezed Ayumu’s palm with the other.

Kahako had desperately wanted to carry Daisuke’s coffin at one point during the procession, but she was still on medical leave and had Susumu in her arms. So instead she remained among the crowd, allowing Ayumu to guide her down the streets. She had hated being at the graveyard when they buried Kitsune, and she hated the place now. No matter what anyone said about the cycle of life and death, it was still a painful experience Kahako wanted to avoid.

Kahako listened to the speakers, trying her hardest to remain strong while standing next to Ayumu. There was no doubt that people were looking to him and his family for strength in this time of weakness, even if he was no longer the ANBU sennin. It wasn’t until Daisuke’s letter, his final words, did a window of tears clouded her vision. Anger, loss, and sadness tumbled within her. How unfair was it that these two great men would fall. Surprisingly, Sukino remained quiet within her mind, probably wanting to leave Kahako to her own grieving.

As their eulogy came to a close, Kahako whispered a quiet ‘Amen’ at the end of the priest’s prayer. ”We should go and… say goodbye,” Ayumu said quietly. “Okay,” she responded softly before following him. With a small squeeze of his hand, Ayumu stepped forward to pay his respects to Shin first, leaving Kahako to walk up to Daisuke’s casket alone.

At this point, Susumu had settled down enough to only be whining in quiet protest. this gave Kahako her desperately needed moment to bow her head in prayer. “Daisuke-sama…” Kahako whispered after she finished. She paused. What would she say? What could she say? Only a deep sadness filled her at the loss of her Sennin. She remembered her meeting with him when she first entered the branch. His promise to help her should she ever needed it.

Slowly, almost tentatively, she reached out to the casket with her free hand. She couldn’t find any words of goodbye to say. “Susumu-kun,” she whispered instead, “This man, Daisuke-sama, I know he would have liked you. He was a good man, an honorable man. He did like to drink though,” She chuckled as she bounced her infant a little. She wanted to say anything, anything before she had to walk away. “I’m sure when you grew a little older he would try to train you to be a little mednin of your own.”

At this point, tears ran down her cheeks, she kept her head bowed, so only those close to her could see her cry. “Little does he know that you are already way too energetic to have the patience for our craft. And that one, over there, the one your papa is next to? That is Shin-sama, he was our Raikage. He was...” at this Kahako lost her voice as she remembered the encounters she had with the two men. She lost count of who was around her, who passed her, who prayed. “It was an honor to serve the both of you.” She finally whispered after a while of silence. Finally she looked up in search of her sensei standing next to Akira Saito. She needed her teacher’s strength in this moment. Shin was the foundation of Kumogakure. Now, he was gone. Who would Kumo look to next? Who would fill that void? Who would even be able to? She would ask herself these questions as she looked for reassurance from her leaders.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
How was she supposed to feel? It didn’t matter because all she felt was unimaginable emptiness. A pointless flow of thoughts that chattered away in her mind as she stood amongst the crowd of mourning. A sea of black as dark as her hair and the crows she was so accustomed to. A blackness that matched the color of her soul. The black was the decay of her impossible redemption on this day. She hurt so many without a single thought during the bloodshed. It didn’t matter that she had destroyed Hoshikata. No one would ever trade the taking of their beloved Raikage’s life for the peace Hoshikata’s death ensured.

Oh, how she hated funerals. The insufferable display of grief and baring of one’s soul to the masses. She didn’t look out of place as she stood amongst her clan members with a solid stare. The Shima were never one to show weakness, but it wasn’t only that. It was a strength for the common folk. The Shima would remain strong in the face of adversity and loss. Even if the city was burning to the ground and they had lost all their riches, the family of crows would remain resolute for the sake of the people. Her clansmen allowed the rest of the village to mourn while they stood in solidarity, a signal of hope for Cloud in these troubled times. Only a dotted few of the Shima clan wept silently, drying their eyes as the water passed down their cheeks.

Haruka’s gaze fixated on the coffins. A mist of hopelessness floating through her eyes. How many people want me dead? They would not be wrong to ask for my blood. What’s worst is that I know you would not have wanted it. Her look narrowed tightly in contemplation as Hayata Shin’s casket burned into her memory. The final sickening break of his body echoing in return. Why couldn’t you have condemned me? Did you know it would leave me with more guilt and hatred if you didn’t? Or did you see what a foolish girl I really was. Blind. Always following someone else’s orders.

Her father’s movement of the group towards the coffins broke her train of thought. She followed as a mindless shell. Her mother bowed to the caskets, incessantly murmuring her thanks to the two men for their protection of the village and for giving their lives so that her only child may live. A crawling up her back made Haruka sick. So she promptly turned her head away, glancing off into the crowd for only a moment. She couldn’t bare her mother’s words, in what way she wasn’t sure. Was it because it was all a lie, or that she was jealous of Shin and the adoration he was given?

As she scanned the faces in the crowd, Haruka rested on the only eyes that seemed to be looking back at her. Burning deep like rich dark soil of the earth set to fire, the stare as intense as her own. It was in that moment her heart jumped in fear. People were watching her after all, and she needed to put a show on for them. Or else it would be her in a casket next. But, maybe the man wasn’t looking for a chance to condemn her. She studied his face, curiosity bubbling in her eyes. As the moment passed, she bowed her head towards the stranger before turning away with her father to give others a chance at their goodbyes.

Goodbyes were never for her. There were goodbyes she still held in after all these years. She lived in the world of yesterday’s regret and unspoken words. A prison she knew she’d never escape. At the back of the crowd she bowed her head, thinking for a brief moment of the one person no one would say their farewells to. Goodbye to the sun who danced with the moon. Goodbye to the light of the world as she had killed it, never to be illuminated again.

[Topic Entered/Left unless stopped]
[MFT]

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Nobuyuki stood waiting. He was dressed in a black suit where the collar was noticeably tight around his neck. It had been a long time since he had to don such formal attire. A look of discomfort showed on his face as he heard the trumpets in the distance announcing the procession; a baby voicing concern in the distance in between the blasts of the trumpets. His hair was combed back as usual; that annoying curl of hair that refused to be tamed hanging in front of his forehead. His eyes a rich dark ember, smoldering in the bits and pieces of sparse sunlight that would make it through the clouds.

His expression was more serious than forlorn. His mind was at work while he waited for the procession to reach it's destination. He had seen the reports from what had happened to his Raikage. Killed at the hands of Hoshikata, an apparent madman with two others dead as well. Hoshikata killed three people all on his own, two of which were shinobi of the highest caliber.

Nobuyuki wasn't a fool. He knew there were shinobi in the world who could conquer such a feat. But the Raikage with an expert healer at his side? It didn't make sense. Not to him. "Perhaps I need to do some digging of my own." he told himself. The only issue was something nagging him at the back of his mind. If his own investigation discovered inconsistencies... that would mean that there was a cover-up and he would be painting a target on his back if he wasn't careful. So he would be careful. Nobuyuki was a planner; a man who took his time in getting things done.

The procession finally arrived. Nobuyuki looked forward to find the new, or rather, old sennin of his branch standing up on the pedestal. The speeches began...

"...Amen."

Once finished, the mass of people began to move ever so slowly. They sought their own version of closure by approaching the casket. Nobuyuki remained un-moving. Instead his eyes focused on those approaching the coffin. Leaving their sorrows in the form of flowers, dirt, and all manner of trinkets to be buried with them.

He stood as a pillar in the moving ocean of people around him. Deep, red eyes focusing on each face. His face seemed grim. All he could see was sorrow and weeping, and the stoic faces of the men who dared not let their wives see them cry. He took a deep breath, ready to depart when a pair of eyes seemed to find his own.

There wasn't sorrow in these eyes, not like the rest at least. It almost seemed like worry for a moment; and then came the curiosity. As tall heads passed in front of him, he moved to regain vision of her, if only for a moment. Dark eyes not unlike his own peered back at him before they slowly turned with a nod and were lost again in the sea of people. To call it a moment might be cliche, but that was the only word that came to mind for Nobuyuki. Rarely had anyone made him freeze up in such a way in a single look. Something about her was bewitching.

"I know her..." he grumbled, racking his mind for the answer.

It took time but he finally recalled her name after struggling to remember. "Shima Haruka... Spymaster of the Main Branch." he thought to himself. The ANBU had worked in tandem with some of her agents from time to time. She was mentioned in the report from the incident with Hoshikata, being one of those who killed him, if Nobuyuki remembered correctly. "I'll have to pay her a visit and thank her for sending that devil back to hell where he belonged." spoke Nobuyuki.

He turned to depart. There was no need for him to approach the coffins. He would pay his respects through duty and service. He would honor their deaths through action.

[Topic Left]
[PM me if you find mistakes]

Yaban Hito

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Funerals were a weird thing. Hito, having never had the thought of burying someone, thought this progression strange indeed. But, he knew it was more for the others gathered here today. Today, he wasn't here for the funeral. He knew Ejji and Daisuke, but nothing on a personal level. As for Shin, he had no idea who the man was. Perhaps, it was partly due to his coming from outside of the village? Who knew? Now, Hito was above the streets, walking along the buildings rooftops, following the only man here he really cared for; Akira Saito. Following his Sensei, Hito would only allow himself the emotion of compassion and empathy for his master losing two close friends.

"There is quite a gathering today..." Hito looked into the sky above, his vision lingering. How does one pay respects for someone you do not know...? Lowering his gaze, Hito would shake his head, give no more thought to it. "Return to the dirt, and make new life."

Having nothing more to do here, Hito knew the old man would need time alone to handle himself from today's happenings. Walking the rooftops back towards the Sileo, he would leave without ever really attending.

[Topic Entered/left]

Morikou Asuchi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
He had just finished up an assignment when the news broke.

A crackle in his headset, followed by the unbelievable message. The Raikage had been killed. One of their sennin, Daisuke, and another shinobi who he did not recognize, Ejji, died by his side. The man who’d done all of this? None other than Isaki Hoshikata.

Asuchi had run into him before, chasing 47 through Kumogakure. The former Mizukage had almost helped them apprehend her, before she disappeared. Hoshikata’s demeanor and actions had unsettled him during that encounter, but not in the same manner a Raikage killer would. He thought back to those golden eyes that had met his own, and his stomach twisted in revulsion.

He snapped back to the present, quickly grabbing his notebook and stuffing it into his bag. There would be a funeral, of course. He needed to get back to Kumogakure in time to attend.

~~~

As he passed through the gates of Kumo, Asuchi heard the fanfare of trumpets in the distance and picked up his pace. He headed straight for his small home, where he threw his dirty peacoat and mission gear on the couch. Retrieving a pressed black suit from his closet, he slipped into the tailored clothing and checked his reflection in the mirror to find that dirt still covered his face. Sighing, he splashed some water onto his cheeks and scrubbed a bit with a washcloth. Satisfied with his appearance, Asuchi sped out of the house and toward the distant procession.

He arrived just as the priest began the ceremony. Looking out over the crowd, he saw some familiar faces. His parents were across the graveyard, his father’s arm around his mother’s shoulders, both standing stoically with their heads bowed. He saw Ayumu and Kahako, two of his teammates on an old mission, and he even saw the trademark dreadlocks of their last teammate, Keiji.

The speeches given for both Shin and Daisuke were beautiful. It was obvious that these two men had left their lasting imprints upon the village. Many mourners were tearing up; Asuchi felt his throat tighten, but the tears did not come. As the ceremony concluded, he joined in the sea of voices. ”Amen.”

Many moved toward the graves to say their final words to the departed. Having personally known neither of them, Asuchi stayed back to let those who did have more time and space. As he stood overlooking the crowd once more, he thought about the two men and all they had given to this village. Shin was an unusual Kage, desiring more for peace and transparency rather that war and secrecy. Many disagreed with his philosophies, but he had guided their village through some tough times. Asuchi personally agreed that peace should be strived for, although he was willing to allow violence as an option, something Shin always seemed reluctant to acknowledge. This view did come with its downsides and some changes probably needed to be made, but Asuchi hoped that Kumo would not drift too far toward more violent tendencies without the Raikage’s calm hand guiding them.

A decision made, Asuchi walked toward the graves with the other mourners and stood, one hand gripping his other wrist, looking down at Hayata Shin’s casket. A faint whisper escaped his lips.

”We may not have ever had the pleasure of being introduced, Hayata Shin, but your ideas and your actions affected every single one of us here in Kumogakure. Now that you are gone, many will try to break from the path of peace and forgiveness you’ve set us on. I am only one shinobi, but I will do my best to make sure that your memory and your wishes are remembered.”

[MFT]

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Archives of the Shogun's Correspondence said:
To my lord the Shogun of Kaminari no kuni, general of Heaven and Earth, and rightful ruler of the land of the rising sun:

I, your humble servant the Imperial historian Sir Takagi Masao, swear to you milord that all I will recount is the absolute truth of events that have unfolded before me within the limitations of human perception.

The esteemed council of Kumogakure no Sato has allowed me the honor and privilege of attending the funeral procession of the eighth Raikage of Kumogakure: Hayata Shin. As Your Grace is well-aware, it was this very Hayata Shin who once saved your life from the machinations of the criminal Hayata Makoro, who was also responsible for much of the savagery of the succession conflict years ago.

I cannot imagine what anguish must have gone through Hayata Shin's heart when he decided in one critical moment that his own uncle needed to die. Of course, the logic of the situation was obvious: Hayata Makoro was responsible for the deaths of thousands and if not stopped, would be responsible for the deaths of millions. And yet it takes a unique and terrible toll on any human being to raise his or her hand against family. Hayata Shin knew that his actions would haunt him with guilt and uncertainty for the rest of his life, but because he loved this country, and loved you, milord, and loved his village, he sacrificed his inner peace forevermore and struck the killing blow. That, Your Grace, was the sort of man Hayata Shin was.

The official record will read that he was a staunch defender of not only his country, but also peace and harmony, having participated in conflicts when necessary and also having stopped them at the first opportunity. His list of accomplishments reads like the famous kings of old: citation for valor during the Demon Invasion; national hero of Kagoshima; sensei of the year for the academy five years running; Sennin of the Main; Arbiter of the Hayata Accord I and II; Savior of Tenouza; Noburu Prize in Medicine for the creation of a sentient chakra-based lifeform; Founder of the Hayata Foundation for Poverty Relief; The list goes on and on. And yet in the end, I earnestly believe that to Shin himself, none of these honors gave him as much happiness as an occasional, heartfelt "thank you" from one of his shinobi.

Hayata Shin did not believe that the good of the many outweighed the good of the few. Rather, he believed with all his heart that the good of all was an attainable and worthy goal, and unlike many idealists who have naught to show for their efforts but empty words, Shin spent his life accomplishing this impossible task.

Your humble servant and chronicler,

Sir Takagi Masao

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back