Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Game of Titles [Ayumu - Kaji]

Kagetsu Yuii

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The morning was cool, but not unpleasantly so. It was a nice change from the icy cold that Ayumu's office had become during the winter months. There had been a point when the windows were too thickly covered with ice and their Raikage had needed to take his meetings in a conference room below whilst severeal chuunin were called to de-ice the glass. Apparently, giant towers built in the middle of a northern mountain range were subject to incredible weather conditions and were incredibly difficult to heat. Who could have known there would be a price to pay for their ancestors' hubris.

Yuii had woke up early, as she normally did, and gone about preparing for the usual morning routine. It was strange now that Kaji was in Kumogakure long term. It felt like she packed two days worth of activities in the time of one. The double life that she had suddenly been forced to aquire for the continuation of their relationship meant trying to ease off on her long hours spent at the tower or arranging clandestine rendezvous during the rare slivers of time between meetings and work. It was all the the detriment of her sleep, and she liked to often joke that the only thing fuelling her at the end of her work days was a desire to be with him. Kaji was not the subject of todays work, though, so as she dressed, ate, and left the refuge of home, Yuii shook off the lingering mist of amour. Thinking of her partner only made work more difficult.

Ayumu and Yuii had kept the tradition of their early morning breakfasts, though Yuii usually only found the time for one a week lately. The job of bringing sweets and making sure Ayumu was fed had since been outsourced, but Yuii liked spending time with her boss and friend. He was good company, though they mostly spoke of work, Susumu or the local gossip around the village. It was an opportunity to make sure they were both on the same page about the village and strengthen the bonds of Kumo's leadership. At least, that was what Yuii would argue between mouthfuls of doughnuts and far too much sugar-coffee.

Today happened to be one of those mornings, and it left Yuii in good cheer despite the gruelling work ahead of them. Not only would there be cream buns and early summer blueberry tarts, but Yuii had made a small breakthrough with one of the northern Daimyo earlier that week. If she was lucky, Ayumu might be willing to permit her a few days off in light of her amazing job and she could catch up on some sleep. It was unlikely, given her back to back meetings scheduled today as MORE of Junko's branch members were re-directed to her for 'sennin only' decisions. There were always those silly canaries that came out to sing when the cat(man) was away, hoping to create change in its absence. It was a bother being the only sennin left in the village sometimes.

There were other, more serious matters to talk to him about too, but it would be cathartic to get them dealt with.

"Ko-ga-miiiiiiiii," she sang, stretching out like she had just awoken and had not trapsed half way across the village. She was dressed as usual, in a thick sweater, leggings and the standard issue boots that doubled as socks. Just because it was warmer didn't mean the old stone Torre was a warm place to work. "Did you hear I secured a whooooooole lot of iron for Mr.Boots and Robe? I'm fabulous, aren't I? Worth a massive raise and a holiday, right?" It would be enough to get the project started- maybe get them the tools and nails that were needed. They would need at least triple that to make the rails though, but it was a start. As more of Lightning's leadership warmed up to the idea of connecting to their neighbours in the south, the rest would surely follow.

"Man, it seems to me Pirate-kage really got the better deal in all of this. You sure he wasn't blackmailing you or something? There have to be resources in his big country- why beg it off us?" It was a joke but had an edge of truth. Yuii hadn't remained for the end of the Kage's meeting but it had seemed to her like Kumogakure and Kuni were getting very little out of the deal. If not for Kaji, she likely wouldn't have been putting half the time and dedication into the project.

"Also, is it true? Is bear agreeing to send a rep to discuss Firestar? They're probably wanting to see why we agreed to mediate that too-" she asked around a face full of blueberry.

Kogami Ayumu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Re: Titles are for people who sleep [Ayumu - Kaji]

The melodic calling of his name prompted Ayumu to look up from the document he was currently rereading after having zoned out during the first attempt. This interruption meant, of course, that he would have to reread it yet again but it was a moot point as he had been just on the cusp of zoning out once more anyway. The interruption was, as almost always, welcome. Ayumu rarely got much real work done while they were having breakfast. Yuii naturally wanted to be sure that Ayumu had heard of her accomplishment in securing materials for the railroad, which he had. She probably knew he had, but it was probably more satisfying to tell him herself, especially so she could suggest how she might be rewarded with a raise and vacation time. 'Classic Yuii,' Ayumu thought as he chuckled.

"I did hear. Isn't it so gratifying? The knowledge that you've done a good job?" he responded with a grin, dodging the topic of tangible compensation entirely. They were making some decent headway with getting all the permissions needed and materials, thanks in no small part to the efforts Yuii was putting in. As Ayumu was about to take a bite of the pistachio muffin he had picked out, Yuii complained that the Hokage seemed to be getting the better end of the deal. "It just feels that way because you're having to do things you wouldn't normally have to do. Remember we're only supplying half the materials while they provide the other half... and they're giving us the greater portion of the earnings when all is said and done. Plus we'll both benefit from having the railway in place," Ayumu argued. He had to wonder why Yuii had been putting forth the extra effort if she didn't feel like it was a good deal for them. Curious.

Before he could finally take that bite of his muffin, the topic shifted once more and Yuii was asking about the representative from Bear. Ayumu huffed and lowered the muffin from his face once more with disappointment. "It's true. Not surprising, they probably want this worked out before it blows up too. War with Konoha wouldn't be ideal for them. Or anybody on the continent really, which is why I'm willing to mediate if I can help," he said before finally stuffing half the muffin in his mouth. He doubted Yuii was going to judge him for talking with his mouth full.

"You know, I'm surprised by you. Lately it seems like you've taken a lot of interest in our dealings with Konoha," he said once he had chewed the muffin enough to allow him room to speak. "Seems like you've been going above and beyond. Any particular reason? Hoping you might score a vacation in Konoha?" Ayumu asked curiously before stuffing the second half of the muffin into his mouth and reaching for a glass of milk.

[MFT]

Okada Kaji

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S

The sound of thunder drummed along the basin of the great mountain range. It was the rhythm of four hooves racing swiftly with enchanted silver horseshoes, a mighty steed gliding in divine grace. The blessing of Raiden was upon them, granted by a sage the rider met on his journey home from Momento Deo. With the boon of rolling thunder, the rider and his mount rushed back from his latest patrol along the mountains; a week spent in the wild, surveying the land and hunting for threats unseen. It was a tiring chore, but ensuring the safety of the good people and creatures of the Land of Lightning was a duty accepted by Kaji Okada, and even enjoyed when the weather permitted him.

But on this particular morning, he did not take his time when returning home and raced with a purpose that drove him through the checkpoint at Dragontooth Pass. The man and steed were a mere flash with a passport on display. “Aye, the hunter rides again” cheered one of the guards, who had come to know of Kaji by the regular sightings of his wintry cloaks, fine blade, and chocolate-hued sunan mare. It was rare to find shinobi riding horseback, especially here at Kaji’s new home, so he was gaining a reputation for his exploits.

There was little time for breaks: no warm coffee or biscuits this morning as Kaji pushed dear Kukki into the village. The Cloud was an interesting city with tall buildings more akin to his long-time home of Maruishi. Having ridden his horse to her limits, Kaji sent her away in a burst of interplanar steam and resumed on foot. He found ease in navigating the city by using free-running and climbing expertise, moving through the higher connecting points of the village, urgently making his way to Torre Celeste. His destination was the office of Raikage, who had become key to the Intel Kaji retrieved while in the field. He had news of a peculiar event: only matters of the village’s security could force Kaji to beeline for Ayumu’s esteemed post.

Kaji had no idea just what ritual he was about to interrupt when he arrived at the doors of the Raikage’s office. Chuunin staff lining the halls directed him to the chamber and ensured him that Lord Ayumu would be there, but they failed to inform him that Yuii would be there as well, or their breakfast tradition. The staffer insisted that it would be okay for Kaji to intrude if his information was so dire, yet Kaji paused nervously outside the door once his guide turned about to her own business. A nervous bead of sweat raced down his temple as he did a bit of eavesdropping, and heard a topic close to him — that of The Leaf. Suddenly he was overcome with trepidation, preparing to play another round of the great charade he shared with Miss Kagetsu. They often avoided appearing together in public in order to escape the implications and social faux pas it caused, mostly to spare Yuii from shame in the eyes of her family; nobles who’d frown on her for consorting with a commoner, let alone an immigrant. Certainly, appearing in front of the Raikage together would be a close second for her. Kaji waited a moment; about thirty more seconds as he pondered just how bad it could be if they loved each other publicly, and did not feel shame for something that— to him at least, felt so right.

Olive fingers slipped through the doorway and slid it open, revealing Kaji like a passive act of protest, under the disguise of work that must be done. He choked on a knot in his throat as he looked at the Raikage and Yuii, who stole his composure when he saw her sitting there, stuffing her face happily. Kaji backtracked himself just a bit and knocked on the door frame before letting himself in. “Pardon my interruption, Lord Raikage… Miss Kagetsu… I hope this isn’t a bad time.” Leading with formalities, he looked to them with the pupils quaking in his eyes, and a determined stare meant to overcome the awkwardness. Taking a few paces closer, Kaji realized the elegance of their breakfast and felt like a ruffian in his worn mocha leather jacket, dirty-kneed slacks in midnight blue, and grimy riding boots. His hair was frizzy and wet from the morning dew. The only thing that remained fresh and clean on him was the hilt of Eelspine, which never seemed to lose its luster. “The staff downstairs said it’d be ok: I am just returning from a patrol on the borderlands, and have come upon some peculiar findings.”

Kagetsu Yuii

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Yuii's bottom lip jutted out in a pout. Satisfaction? Really? "I can't eat and wear happy feelings, Kogami!" The world would be a pretty great place if she could, but in this reality, and Yuii needed food just like every other good and bad person alive. Her face turned stormy as Ayumu did his typical conversation switch to avoid the topic of a raise. If it weren't for the blueberries, she would be a lot angrier.

"I guess you're right" she grumbled, letting him think he'd successfully distracted her from money talk, "It does feel like an awful lot of work. I'd feel bad for the poor sod that has to do Fire's side of the bargain but he doesn't have a dozen Daimyo and their self-serving courts to deal with. I swear to Raiden I'm going to turn the next bag of bones that asks me what my husband thinks of all this is going to get a ruby encrusted finger shoved so far up his- Wait, what?" Yuii's grumbling had lapsed to muttering mostly to herself while picking away at her tart, but Ayumu's question about Leaf set her off balance. She didn't start stuttering of blushing, but her answer received a lot more thought than it should have. This didn't seem like the right time to bridge the true motivation fueling her work. "Are you offering?" she settled on, taking a page from Ayumu's book of plays, "All expenses, right?" There wasn't a good answer to give without lying, and Yuii couldn't bring herself to do that without cause, but there was definitely a sparkle of interest in her eye regardless.

Speaking of motivation and interest, Yuii was in the midst of finishing off her second tart when their conversation was interrupted by a knock. An intrusion on breakfast usually meant an urgent matter and it happened more often than not. The blueberry pasted Sennin expected it to be a gate arrival, or a message from the shogun however, not human honey. With a mouth full of food rendering her mute, Yuii waved a frantic and jovial hello. She leapt, or tripped gracefully, from her chair and made insistent gestures that he take the seat while she retrieved another on reserve. Kaji looked like we would fall asleep on his feet any second, so better he was in a chair. It was all busy work in the end, a way to distract her from the wellspring of emotions the dark rider's arrival had brought forth.

"Honestly, Kogami, Boots isn't going to be very happy with you if you work his loaned shinobi to death," she chided when her mouth was finally clear, "Is it bad news? I hate bad news before breakfast is done."

Kogami Ayumu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ayumu's question had apparently caught Yuii off guard. She seemed to ponder the question for a moment, but when she replied it was not with an answer but with a deflection. She latched onto his joke of vacation time rather than providing any real reason behind her motivation. Of course, she knew better than to expect to be rewarded in a grand fashion like that. Whatever had her working so hard, it wasn't the promise of vacation. Avoiding the question made it all the more intriguing. Unfortunately for Ayumu, before he could press any further Yuii was saved by a visitor-- unbeknownst to Ayumu, the very answer he was looking for.

A knock stole Ayumu's attention away from both paperwork and pastries and announced the arrival of Kaji. This was the loaner shinobi Konoha had traded them in exchange for one of their own. Ayumu didn't know how Konoha was doing with Yuuto, but Kaji had certainly been a valuable asset to have as of late. Given that Ayumu was heading up the ANBU branch in absence of an actual Sennin, he could see Kaji's value first hand. If he had some reason to talk to Ayumu, it was probably a good one. "No, no. By all means, come in. Have some, if you want. Yuii's brought more than two people should reasonably be expected to eat as usual," Ayumu said, gesturing to the spread before them. Yuii would probably disagree, and truthfully they probably could finish what was left on their own, but Ayumu doubted she'd refuse if Kaji took Ayumu up on the offer. In fact, she frantically leapt to her feet and offered a place to sit for Kaji

The ANBU had been out of the village last Ayumu heard, and he confirmed as he entered that he was just returning from his trip. That much was apparent just by looking at him. By appearances, it seemed likely that he had wasted no time after his arrival before heading straight to Ayumu's office. Whatever he had come to say, he must have felt that it couldn't wait. Yuii commented that Ayumu was working Kaji too hard and then voiced her concern that he was bringing bad news. The thought had crossed Ayumu's mind too, given his haste to deliver news of his findings.

"Well, you've got my attention. Tell me," Ayumu said, bracing himself. Whatever it was couldn't be as bad as the unlikely scenarios playing out in Ayumu's head. An invading army of shinobi incoming... flock of thunder birds attacking... the second coming of the demon king... Better to expect something catastrophic and be relieved than hope for something insignificant and be overwhelmed.

[MFT]

Okada Kaji

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Game of Clouds

Kaji came forward; his movements were becoming more rigid with every anxious step. The aroma of their plentiful breakfast was defeating the scent of pine, mud, and sweat he brought to their table. Lord Ayumu was as thoughtful as Yuii often suggested and offered Kaji some of the bounty on the table, but typical of Kaji, the pleasantries would have to wait. He stopped a few paces short of the present company and made a respectful saikei-rei bow, sharply bent at a 45° angle, freezing in place for a few beats of passing time. His gesture also kept him out of Yuii's way, as she was revealing her stumbling, clumsy side. She was often so cool & composed when in control, but whenever she was off guard it really showed. The moment would have been so awkward if she tripped and fell— Kaji would have swept her off her feet attentively, where most mere acquaintances would have simply let her face plant. That would have been a wrap for their secrecy, or so he thought while rising back to his board-straight posture.

“If I may speak freely, I think there is plenty more I could do for the village, if given the chance” he added, tagging the idea onto Yui's jab at Ayumu for supposedly overworking him. In truth, Kaji often felt underutilized in the Hidden Leaf as well, however, with the nature of his old profession that may have been for the best. There was very little light in the lives of assassins. Since coming to the Cloud, all he saw was the sun eclipsed by the blue bird and her peoples. The old Kaji would not belong here. “Don’t fret to call on me for anything The Cloud might need, I live to serve.” And with his point made he quick transitioned the conversation to his point in coming, given Ayumu was excited to know. “I do think both you and Lord Boots will be interested in my first finding.” Once Yuii had her new chair, Kaji unzipped his jacket and hung it over the back of his chair. He held a white scroll with forest green trim in one hand now and joined the Lady and Lord at the table, where he began unfurling it.

The image on the scroll was that of a face drawn from memory with charcoal— a few drops of tomato paste was used to bring some color to the eyes, which resembled pinwheels. They were clearly the eyes of an Uchiha male, with additional features that would remind Ayumu of someone familiar from his past. Kaji left the scroll unfurled and slid it around the platters so Ayumu and his second-in-command could see it clearly. They might have also admired the quality of his portrayal, but that was neither here nor there.

“First things first— while circling the long path around Momento Deo on my patrol route leading back to the village, I encountered this man: a rogue who voluntarily disclosed his name as Anatsu. I have since matched him to a profile in my bingo book of a nuke-nin by the name of Anatsu Uchiha; a Madman who— in the past, was suffering from delusions, and attacked The Cloud by himself.” The annoyance of the encounter could be read on Kaji’s face as he began explaining the encounter. If he would have known it was someone already on record, he might have gone the extra mile in trying to capture him. “He claimed that he was collecting information from every land and that he possessed proof that The Leaf was planning a sneak attack on The Cloud. When I pressed him for information without giving him any of my own, he insisted that—” Kaji suddenly paused to laugh, “that he was a Leaf Shinobi, and to tell you that a War was coming. ‘He then attempted to hit me with a Grand Fireball Jutsu, and in the instance I deflected it he fled the scene.”

By the time Kaji’s mouth stopped running, he already sent a hand over the platter of breakfast pastries and went straight for a delicacy with origins in his homeland: the granite cake, and took it on a snack plate. He then prepared himself a cup of coffee from a thermal carafe and began warming the container to satisfaction with a mere touch of his hand. The coffee was piping hot by the time he filled a spare mug with it, and then he was off to the races, adding packs of sugar and tiny doses of creamer until he was satisfied. “Let me be the first to confirm that the rogue’s claims are all bullshit.”

wc785mft

Kagetsu Yuii

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Yuii took a calming breath. There would be time to indulge in fussing over Kaji later, she reminded herself, right now she needed to be every bit the Sennin Kaji believed she was. That was hard to do while wolfing down blueberry muffins at a rate most people would find alarming, but by now he and Ayumu had witnessed her strange eating habits and knew her attention was not divided.

Once Kaji was finished his story of his counter, Yuii cleared her mouth and interject with her own opinion. "He sounds insane," by the look in the drawing, the description of his past escapades and the recent encounter all made the man forebodingly named Ansatsu sound mentally unstable. This wasn't an unheard of case. Sometimes shinobi went too deep into dark arts in their search for power, lacked mental fortitude under the strain of their missions or were tortured horribly as a byproduct of their dangerous work. Those individuals became unhinged. They began to see plots that didn't exist, could not recognize friend from foe or seem driven to create chaos. In most cases they were treated like mad dogs and locked up or put down before they became a true danger, in others they escaped into the world to sow the roots of anarchy; Anatsu seemed to be the later.

Once again Yuii was tasked with keeping her own emotional response in check. Kaji had been attacked in the mountains and could have died out there alone at the hands of a mad man. She ought to be out there watching his back, not rattling around the village interior uselessly. If anything happened to him while she was just sitting around eating cakes, Yuii couldn't forgive herself. "We know he's full of bull crap. Leaf just presented themselves as allies and you're obviously not here to cause trouble-" she snapped with too much irritation, then tried to back pedal on her reaction, "I-I mean I can only assume since you're telling us all this that it's untrue." Her attention moved to Ayumu, and like that good sennin she tended not to be Yuii decided to offer to do her job before he told her to, "I'll alert the gate guards to be on watch for a man with that description, on your word, of course, Kogami."

Kogami Ayumu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ayumu watched as Kaji sat but denied himself the bounty of the table for the time being. His comment on feeling that there was more he could do for the village than he was currently didn't go unnoticed. Ayumu found his enthusiasm almost as odd as Yuii's, given that this arrangement was supposedly only temporary. Still, for as long as he was around, it didn't hurt to make use of him. Which was partially why he was here now, to deliver information that he'd gained while out on patrol. He spoke of a rogue by the name of Anatsu, a name which Ayumu had not heard of before. Unfortunately, though Ayumu had encountered him before, he had never gotten the name associated with the madman. Still, given the description and picture Kaji provided, it was enough to remind Ayumu of the incident. It wasn't something he'd be quick to forget.

Anatsu had claimed to Kaji that he had evidence of Leaf's plans to attack Cloud. Unfortunately for him, he did not know of Kaji's origins as a Leaf shinobi himself and the ease with which he would be able to call bullshit on the story. Anatsu then proceeded to attack Kaji before fleeing. The jutsu was yet another link to the incident Ayumu had recalled. The man he had encountered those years ago had used the very same jutsu over and over in his manic state before he was subdued. Couple that with the red sharingan eyes, it seemed too much of a coincidence to ignore. Without missing a beat, Yuii interjected her own disbelief of the story in defense of Leaf, questioning the man's sanity. More than that, she irritably insisted that he was full of it and that Leaf, or more specifically Kaji, was their ally. Ayumu raised an eyebrow at her passionate defense of Konoha, but didn't say anything. He simply took a bite of a small donut and kept his suspicious thoughts to himself. Yuii was eager to alert the gate guards and Ayumu nodded in agreement.

"Surprisingly, I think I might actually know the man you're referring to. If I'm right, it sounds like the very same guy that came to our gates years ago and attacked the guards. He was in a rough state, just about collapsed on his own without any help from us. Didn't even seem to realize what he was doing. After we subdued him, he claimed to have amnesia to the extent that he couldn't even remember his own name. We found a slashed Konoha headband in his possession before we kicked him out and banned him from entering the village. Not long after he returned spouting threats when he was still not allowed in and was turned away. Haven't seen him in years," Ayumu recounted, remembering the man whom they had turned away years ago. He had been merciful, probably too merciful, in letting him leave. Now he was back, it seemed, and causing trouble once again. This was assuming it was the same person, of course, which would actually be fairly easy to prove.

"Actually, I got a snapshot of him back then, in order to provide his likeness to the guards. A sketch was made and posted at the gates for many years. I've still retained the snapshot, in fact," he continued before performing a few quick handseals to recall the snapshot. The image of Anatsu glaring moodily at the gates before leaving unsuccessfully would be shared with the other two at the table, if they wished to view it. The Snapshot jutsu was quite useful at times.

"As you said Yuii, let's be sure the guards are aware of Anatsu," Ayumu agreed. "We should also send word to Konoha immediately, in case he heads their way," Ayumu added. If the man was spreading lies about Konoha, Ayumu wanted them to know about him. He assumed they would do the same if the situations were reversed, now that the two villages had come together as they had. "I'm glad you found him out there, Kaji. Best we keep tabs on the crazies wandering around our countryside," Ayumu concluded.

Okada Kaji

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Re: Game of Clouds

And so, Kaji was finally able to get the intel on his recent Anatsu Uchiha sighting delivered to the powers that be. It was like a burden lifted off of his shoulders, spreading the information that a potential threat was inbound to the Hidden Cloud and thwarted all the same. No, Kaji was not the type to feel proud of the accomplishment— it was merely part of the job. He could feel pride only if he brought the fool in for a psychological evaluation. As far as Kaji was concerned, he had done a disservice to the troubled man by letting him go; a repeated mistake apparently made by the Raikage as well in his past. As professional as ever, both Yuii and Kogami instantly knew what actions to take next in the defense against potential rogue encounters in the village. In a swift response to the notion that The Leaf should be informed, Kaji said “I will send word to the Leaf right away about the encounter and conspiracy,” and began rolling up his sketch.

The Raikage’s use of his Snapshot memory experience sort of dwarfed Kaji’s effort to provide an artistic rendering of the suspected Uchiha, but Kaji wasn’t bothered. While he did know the technique, he had a reasonable apprehension about sharing the contents of his mind, especially with his secret lover sitting to his right. What if Kaji used Snapshot, and while glancing at the lovely woman, shared the wrong memory? He took a long sip of his coffee as his mind wandered a moment, and his cheeks reddened just slightly. Most of his snapshots were memorable moments, but not things he’d share with anyone except her in a more personal setting.

“I gotta say, these granite cakes are great!” Kaji suddenly shifted his attention to the table, trying to clear his mind of dirty thoughts in favor of an agreeable transition and small talk for a moment. There was more he had to share with them, but he’d get to it in due time. “I have been getting by on hard tack, field potatoes, some carrots, and gamey wild hare for the last week… you better believe these sweets are a real treat.” He was almost whole-mouthing the food now that the matter of Anatsu was out of the way. “You can count on Yuii to know where to source the best sweets. Am I right? ‘Only thing I’m missing now is a hot bath and a little R&R.” His eyes cut over to Yuii, and away again, back to the table, “I’ve only been on a patrol for a week, but it has felt like a year.”

These two seemed to have the cushy life, that was for sure. Kaji observed them with an awkward but cheerful face, but he couldn’t help but acknowledge how clean and new everything was here in the Torre Celeste. Their garments looked perfectly pressed as if it had been years since they saw combat. If he were short sighted, Kaji would have confused them for being lazy or even cowards, but he understood that it was merely good leadership at work on all levels. He understood that this was the end product of a career of hard work: the skyline view of the village and the private breakfasts were simply part of the job here. This prestige was new to Kaji, who knew a career of chasing and pouncing on overgrown cutpurses and guttersnipes in dank alleyways. He was far from the grunge of Arcadia’s caves now and was gradually getting to learn more about the good life, inside and out. “So, have I missed anything interesting in the last week?” With his news out the way, he became curious of the dealings within the village.

Kagetsu Yuii

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Yuii scrutinized the man in the snapshot then compared the man there with the one in the drawing. They looked remarkably alike, a testament to the skill of both men, right down to the infuriating smirk. He definitely looked unhinged, and he would fit well with the other criminals in the under prison she was certain. "Hopefully he hasn't caused trouble in the countryside," Yuii concurred, pulling a pen booklet from the folds of her sweater, "I'll have Megumi double check the mission requests to make sure no one is asking for aid against a man of roughly that description." She scribbled two quick notes, one for her secretary and the other for the head of the gate guard. She mentioned the old sketch Ayumu had said existed and hoped that it could be refreshed for the notice of all. That done, Yuii hopped from her chair and ran both messages to one of the runners usually sitting outside Ayumu's doorway. This wasn't so urgent of a matter they needed to clutter up airwaves with her orders.

Work completed, Yuii returned to her seat and plucked up a jam filled doughnut. So glad to hear I have a reputation," she answered, sweet poised and ready to be devoured, "I suppose our breakfasts must seem a bit suspicious to the greater population and word has spread." The corner of Yuii's eyes crinkled as she gave an amused smile. It occurred to her that it would seem just as strange to Kaji too, as she'd never really mentioned the breakfast meetings before. Explaining would be suspicious, however, so she stuck to idol chatter. "A bath and good food are essential after time spent on the road. Sleeping in a comfortable bed too. Kogami is right though, there is too much here so eat up."

No one had joined them for breakfast before. Kaji wasn't out of place though, if one ignored his road attire, but that might have been her own prejudice. A little self-conscious of the happy intrusion, she lapsed into taking small bites of her confection and studying Kaji with what she hoped appeared to be disinterest. "Kogami was just telling me he'd going to double my salary," she said with a straight face, "and give me a vacation in Leaf, though I never asked for such. So kind, right? " she answered Kaji's question surprisingly straight faced for something that had to be untrue, "It's so good to be appreciated."

Kogami Ayumu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Between Ayumu's older snapshot and Kaji's updated sketch with the man's current appearance, the gates would have a pretty good idea of who they were keeping an eye out for. If Kaji had not encountered the man in question, the village would have had no idea he might still be active as they hadn't seen him in years. Whether or not he would attempt to enter Cloud after his run in with Kaji remained to be seen, but it wouldn't be easy for him now. Kaji would send word to Leaf soon and Yuii would have the gates briefed as well as mission requests reviewed for any mention of the man causing trouble. "Thanks, Yuii. Good work, Kaji," Ayumu said before relaxing a bit more now that the business was at least momentarily handled.

He plucked a glazed doughnut from the table and took a bite. They were simple and not overly fancy even for a doughnut, certainly no breakfast of champions, but Ayumu sure loved him some donuts. With his report out of the way, Kaji also relaxed and began to sip at his coffee, much the same way he had during their first meeting. He also took the invitation to enjoy some of the sweets Yuii had brought. Ayumu couldn't do this kind of breakfast every day, but the occasions when Yuii brought them were just fine. Kaji was tearing into the cakes now, lamenting the less appetizing diet he'd been on for the past week. It seemed this wasn't the first he had heard of Yuii's legendary sweets addiction.

"Yeah... field rations get the job done, but they're no cake or donuts," Ayumu agreed before taking another bite of his donut and a sip of milk. "I dunno what's so suspicious about a meeting between Raikage and Sennin. Clearly we're getting work done, right?" he defended himself, referring mainly to what Kaji had brought to them, but also to the small stack of paperwork he had gone through beforehand. Ayumu sighed as he looked at the paperwork, the page up top sporting the most recent of the probably hundreds of signatures he had already scrawled today. "I'd honestly trade the doughnuts and paperwork for some field work every now and then," he mused before finishing off the doughnut. At Kaji's question of the village happenings, Yuii joked with a deadpan expression that Ayumu had offered her a raise and a vacation prompting a snort laugh from Ayumu.

"Maybe you should cut back on the sugar, I think you're becoming delusional," Ayumu said, tugging the plate of doughnuts away from Yuii slightly before answering Kaji's question himself. "We were just talking about the progress of the railway. Yuii managed to make a deal for some iron. We haven't had any significant roadblocks as far as getting the permits to build through the various provinces of Lightning Country yet. I'd say overall it's going as well as one could hope for so far," Ayumu said with optimism. He knew it wouldn't all be so easy, especially when it came time to start get permissions outside of Lightning, but it was good that they weren't already running into issues.

Okada Kaji

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Again, Kaji considered a life in prestige; perhaps it was something he could get used to with a bit of persistent effort. He often felt the effects of Yuii’s post as Sennin, mostly due to her constantly busy schedule. As for Kogami, he was lamenting over the mound of paperwork he must have seen regularly. They made light humor out their predicaments of course. In truth, their breakfasts seemed like a meager compensation for all the brain wracking duties they performed as the top brass in the village. As an accomplished ANBU, Kaji was certain that if he ever reached a level like theirs, his time would not be spent in a clerical capacity, or so he hoped. However, instead of looking upwards, Kaji was the type to look forward at the tasks at hand. Upon asking about the current affairs in The Cloud, the subject shifted back to their commitments to The Leaf: the very excuse he used for staying in the Land of Lightning since the Hokage left him to his station there: over a year ago.

According to Kogami, the resources for the railway were successfully acquired by Yuii, which gratified Kaji to learn. “That’s fantastic news,” Kaji returned, “and might I say that accomplishing a deal like that seems like a good ground for deserving raise, Lord Raikage… And Lady Kagetsu, if you want to take a vacation to Fire Country, allow me to volunteer as your guide. I know the land well, and I’m sure we’d get along fine for the trip.” He looked cheekily between Kogami and Yuii with a cocky smirk. “I have in-turn made arrangements for clearing the path for the railway from Bear into Fire, and helped break ground on the project last month.” He then paused in the report to take a bite of his scone-like cake and chew it fully. “Perhaps we should go on a tour of the railway to make sure everything is copacetic and secure once the project is complete? Call it a working vacation.”

However, before the time for a working vacation would come, Kaji had another order of business to see to. There was another mission on his plate, one with dire importance to the Coast of Cirrus to the south east. He had another scroll to share but didn’t want to rush their breakfast along with every matter of importance to him. Perhaps news of an anomaly known as The Dreadnought had made it back to the Raikage and Sennin. The story of a frigid monster at sea was sweeping the Land of Lightning, quickly becoming an urban legend leaving a trail of terror. Ships and sea life were being sunken and or frozen to death in unbearably cold waters. Was this on the menu for discussion this morning? Kaji was unsure, but he hoped to bring the subject to light before they left the table.

Kagetsu Yuii

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Yuii gave an exasperated and drawn out sigh. Maybe there was something in her doughnuts, that could be the only explanation for why she put up with her beloved Raikage. It was a wonder she worried about his health so much, but then who else was going to pay her to pick out cakes and share in eating them? Only kind, goofy Ayumu was that big of a chump. Giving in to her frustration, she dug out a handful of candies wrapped in bright foil and pelted them across the table in her Kage's direction. The very act could be considered treason from another. Yuii considered that Kaji would find the dynamic between Sennin and Kage strange, but she was confident enough by now in their friendship to know she wouldn't end up in a cell for candy related crimes. Well, that and Ayumu wouldn't want the headache of replacing her.

The sennin smiled a little too brightly over Kaji's praise and her ears burned at his vacation offer. "You see!" yuii broke out into laughter, clinging to the joke at first, "This one has good sense! sees the truth and even is even willing to speak up against technically his boss." The constant houding for a raise was mostly in jest on Yuii's part, just as Ayumu's refusal was the same but she was touched by Kaji's support. Whether he had caught on the joke or really did think she deserved extra reward for her work, there was a certain amount of self-confidence one needed to execute statements like that. Before now Yuii hadn't considered it, but perhaps Umashi and Kaji had had a similar working relationship to Ayumu and herself.

She gave more consideration to the idea of a vacation, then silently rejected it as impossible at that time. Junko was still galavanting around the countryside with his demon housed adoptee, Anbu was still senninless and Kumogakure had lost two of its last three kage to coordinated foreign and insider attacks. If she left and something happened to Ayumu, then not only would she be forced to take his rank buts he would never forgive herself. And yet, a trip with Kaji was alluring. In far distant lands she could be candid with her emotions after Kaji had been away for a week instead of sitting at a platonic distance eating cakes. "If only," the stir-crazy sennin lamented, picking the chocolate from the top of her doughnut, "maybe once the rails are done and Junko returns. I suppose you'd be headed homeward then too since Leaf will be satisfied." She peered at her clandestine lover through her lashes and sighed. Ayumu would probably agree.

Kogami Ayumu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ayumu chuckled as Kaji backed Yuii up, suggesting that she indeed deserved a raise and volunteering to be her tour guide for Fire Country. By now Ayumu was finished eating and had taken to sipping some coffee as the two secret lovebirds discussed possible vacation plans. Kaji transitioned into his own announcement that he had managed to secure an agreement to build the railway from Bear into Fire. That, along with the other arrangement Yuii and Ayumu had made, meant that the railway plan was proceeding quite smoothly. Kaji suggested that once the railroad was completed they could go on a tour to evaluate the finished product.

"You know, that's the first legitimate excuse for a vacation I've heard in a long time. I could get on board with that... unless I'd be the third wheel in this situation?" Ayumu teased. It was just the normal sort of teasing he did, not a "I figured out your secret" kind of teasing. Whether the two would fret over the possibility of it being the latter was up to them.

"Raises are decided by the council, not myself. However, I will pass along my recommendation based on how how hard you've been at it recently," Ayumu offered, the best he could really do. She did deserve the recognition, in his opinion. Despite probably hating the job and the restrictions it placed on her, she was getting things done. They both were, and Kaji wasn't even a Sennin.

"Kaji, you're much deserving of commendation as well. Since you've gotten here you've been working hard... and to be honest, taken on a lot of the workload I'd been shouldering with ANBU. What you've done thus far has been above and beyond the rank you were given when you came to us, in my opinion," Ayumu admitted. Naturally, Kaji had simply maintained the rank he had come from Konoha with. Since that time he had easily proven himself capable of much more. Ayumu had to wonder how he had not at least been a Captain already by the time he had come to Cloud.

"I don't know what plans Umashi has for you once you've returned to Leaf," Ayumu began, knowing that as of the current time, Kaji was still bound to return to his former village eventually. Despite this, there was good Ayumu felt he could do regardless. "But I'm inclined to promote you to a position fitting of the kind of work you've put in, to make sure you have the ability to do the good I know you can do for the branch," Ayumu continued. Perhaps Kaji would think he spoke of a promotion to Captain, but Ayumu had more than that planned. "As you well know, ANBU currently has no Sennin, and it will stay that way for now... however, I'd like to ask that you take the position of Vice Commander for the remainder of your time here," Ayumu concluded, revealing his intentions.

"You don't have to answer immediately but... what do you think?" Ayumu asked, curious to hear Kaji's reply. It meant more responsibilities for a village that technically wasn't his own. The position of Vice Commander was the second in command to the Grand Commander AKA Sennin, which was technically Ayumu for the time being. It had been a while since either position was legitimately filled, and a capable person taking up the reigns would benefit the branch greatly.

Okada Kaji

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Kaji was taken by surprise when the attention was shifted to him after running a bit of support to Yuii’s well-deserved raise. He received Ayumu’s praise humbly, and began a few mokurei (respectful beaming) eye bows, trying not to make the casual situation awkward with anything more traditional. “What do I think?” he repeated back, implying an innocent response to the sudden idea. “I am honored greatly by this appointment... of course I accept, Lord Raikage” Kaji answered, feeling a rush of pride and unexpected elation. “Since coming to your village, I have been able to answer my calling as a shinobi on a level I have never achieved before… Doing good for the sake of good, and have punished denizens and demons of every station and stature. ‘After a lifetime spent searching I’ve found myself here, and... I have loved every moment of it.” The fact of the matter was that Kaji would gladly continue his service without the appointment and had come to believe this land was right for him, but becoming a leader would increase his sense of dedication trifold.

In his old days, Kaji Okada had earned the moniker “The Hunter” for his tenacity and persistence. He used to in bringing the enemies of his villages to justice by any means— any signs that questioned morality were slathered with black paint from a bucket labeled “following orders”. But now, as a leader, he could operate in the light, and show others the path to dawn as “The Daybreaker”. “Thank you for this opportunity… I already had my heart set on remaining here once my tenure as a Diplomat was complete, and have been weighing on it all heavily. My service to The Leaf was first granted by The Stone, per the alliance pact, to which The Cloud was ultimately added. As per my oath and agreement with my village of origin— The Stone, our Alliances grant me the power to transfer at will, given you have already accepted me as one of your own.” Just as he hinted, it appeared that Kaji had been working on his transfer for quite some time, though you could say a year was long enough to work something out. It appeared that he was good for more than combat; Kaji knew his rules and regulations to a tee. He had to contain his excitement though, and tried to balance his attention between Yuii and Ayumu, trying to not let his motivations on any further; so much of it had to do with her.

“Well, now that we are on the subject of the ANBU, I suppose it’s a good time to address something I’d like to look into.” His mind was on that ship. “If I may exercise my newfound authority, I would like to assemble a squad to investigate numerous reports of an anomaly occurring off the Coast of Cirrus. Rumors around the port are calling it The Dreadnought, and its devastating sea life and trade in the region… Ships have been abandoned or found sunken, and sea-based mammals have been found frozen and floating.” It was just the kind of danger that required the ANBU to investigate it, especially considering the following. “Any efforts to investigate The Dreadnought by the local forces have fallen short and none of the ships have returned to port. I believe it will take our expertise to uncover this mystery and live to tell the tale.”

Sure of the quest and what he felt he’d need for it, Kaji revealed another scroll and set it upon the table for Ayumu to read. It was a scroll of recommendation signed by Yuuto Masaru, and a Leaf Anbu Captain, pertaining to Shouyu Hoshi. “I believe I can assemble the right squad for the task, starting with Hoshi. His visual prowess— the Byakugan, will come in hand for identifying whatever awaits us on the open seas. He has returned from his journey to Konoha, and seems up for the role of Mempo according to peer review.” In his time, Kaji had also come to hear rumors of two more potential candidates, but he did know them by name quite yet. “I’m going to make the necessary preparations and have us underway in a few days time. I suppose the R&R will have to wait.”

Kagetsu Yuii

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The barest flush appeared on Yuii's cheeks as she tried to find a tactful answer for Ayumu and say she wanted to roam the countryside with Kaji. Sadly, there was no reason to deny her Kage a working vacation when she wasn't technically meant to have a relationship with the ANBU in question. It could be kind of fun, in a constantly worried about her Raikage's safety sort of way, to have him along though. "You should bring your son too," she chimed cheerfully, not playing into the joke, "It would be a trip he would always remember."

The next part made Yuii practically glow with satisfaction. Turned out working hard could actually result in people commending and rewarding you. It wasn't set in stone, but the extra money she could put away would be sweet like pie. Happy as she was, it took a moment for the conversation between the two men and its meaning to sink in. She stared at them, a bit shocked that Kaji had been offered a new position then and there. Her heart sang when he agreed and even dropped that he hoped to stay in Kumogakure. Part of her was disappointed that they couldn't have shared the news in private but at least this time his news of an extended stay didn't end with one of them in a chokehold.

Oddly, Yuii was conflicted on how she felt. She was so proud of Kaji. How could she not be? He was meeting potential and following his calling in Kumogakure. On that same thought, she was also gratified of Ayumu for seeing Kaji's worth, and so happy she hadn't needed to take matters into her own hands. She had always there would be no conflict between the centers of her professional and romantic lives, and here she was with a front row seat to them getting along. And yet, and she couldn't quite put her finger to it, the whole matter also made her sad. It was odd, and she reflected on that while turning to Kaji with a well-measured smile and friendly punch to the shoulder. It was far from the kiss to the cheek her fellow sennin had gotten on promotion, but they were already at a level of friendly that Ayumu felt comfortable making jokes.

"Congratulations!" she sang, the twinkle in her eye promised a much more gratifying celebration, "May you enjoy your newly acquired mountains of work accumulated in the absence of a Sennin and the bribes that are sure to come your way as a free agent. The gentry do love to feel like they've gotten your ear and take it personally if you refuse. Ah! That reminds me- any new 'gifts' lately Ayumu? We could, uh, early morning celebrate?" Her mouth quirked up mischievously, certain that her outstanding leader would be tempted to say yes. It would be a shock for Kaji and another mark against their work ethic.

Kaji went on to ask about leading a mission in the cirrus bay. The breath caught in Yuii's throat as her ever active imagination pictured the black haired made frozen in the ice. It was a morbid, horrible thought that made her want to protest the idea but she knew by now Kaji did not want or need to be fussed over.

There it was, though; why she felt melancholic. His promotion meant more travel, more missions, and more adventure, away from Kumogakure and away from Yuii. "Dreadnought huh? Sounds dreadful."

Kogami Ayumu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Of course, Ayumu had expected Kaji to accept his appointment, but there was still a moment where he had to wonder what the man to say, especially when Ayumu's question was repeated rather than an answer. The answer he hoped for came but a moment later though with Kaji's grateful acceptance. Ayumu quietly breathed a sigh of relief as Kaji spoke of the fulfillment he had experienced since coming to the village. Though Ayumu had expected a positive answer, the enthusiasm behind the acceptance was unexpected. Further surprising was Kaji's revelation that he had intended to stay in Cloud even once the allotted time of the shinobi exchange had passed. What was it that motivated him so? Ayumu pondered this as Yuii jovially congratulated Kaji on his promotion with a friendly punch in the arm before asking after any gifts of the alcoholic nature Ayumu might have acquired recently.

"Maybe it's a bit early for that," Ayumu said with a nervous laugh. It wasn't that he truly believed that, but he did have some work he needed to accomplish this morning. "But I might have something I can have delivered a bit later as congratulations. Kaji can decide when and whether he'd like to share it with you or not," Ayumu said in response to Yuii's hopeful query. Perhaps the two of them could bond over a drink. It would be good for the two branch leaders to get to know one another better, after all!

At any rate, Kaji... we would certainly be lucky to have you for the long run. I'll let you talk to Umashi about that, though. If he's fine with letting go of you, then I surely don't have any complaints," Ayumu said. Truthfully, gaining Kaji permanently would be a great benefit, but he half expected Umashi would drag the man back to Konoha himself. "I don't know how Yuuto would feel, however. Well, we'll leave that for another time," Ayumu said, sensing that Kaji had something else he wanted to address. Wasting no time, Kaji delved into his concern over the reports of the mysterious Dreadnought. Ayumu had gotten reports of it and was intending to put together a squad himself, but Kaji's request to assemble the squad himself was a convenient offer. The man had obviously already been planning to make this request. This only further proved his worthiness of the responsibility that was just given to him. Whatever this phenomenon the people had taken to calling The Dreadnought was, it was bad news. If the local leadership had not already sent in requests for Kumogakure's shinobi, they would soon.

A quick pun from Yuii drew a cringe from Ayumu before he could answer Kaji. It afforded him a moment to read over the scroll of recommendation from Yuuto and an ANBU Captain from Leaf. Ayumu knew, at the very least, that Hoshi had spent the required time in training already. With these recommendations as well as Kaji's, he had no problem with the promotion. Besides that, these were the types of things Kaji would be deciding on as the Vice Commander. "Of course... this is a good opportunity for you to take the lead with ANBU and I've heard good things about this kid too. Hell, I recruited him. Anyway, I'll trust your judgement as the new Vice Commander here. Assemble your team and keep me informed. Tell Hoshi I said congratulations," Ayumu responded, giving Kaji the go ahead to form his squad. Hopefully the rumors about the Dreadnought would turn out to be just that, but the reports were pretty ominous.

"Well, I suppose we all have things to attend to now. Should we conclude the breakfast here, or does anybody have any other matters to address?" Ayumu asked. He had finished eating a few minutes ago and the other two seemed to have stopped as well.

Okada Kaji

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Any dream of touring the countryside with his beloved seemed farther away as soon as it became a possibility. Just as Yuii said, there were piles of administrative and leadership duties waiting in the shadowy halls of the Sileo Tempestas for Kaji. He lamented the idea of being bogged down with stacks of paper in need of stamping, reports in need of filing to the man seated across from him, and shinobi in need of quarterly evaluations. His eyebrows crinkled and his lips curved into a frown as the reality of the job hit him— however, he was as equally resolved to serve their village with the role as well. Yuii's playful nature brought a rise back to his mood though, as she badgered Ayumu for access to some of his good liquor for a bit of a celebration. They were modest drinkers, to say the least, but together, they were probably the most fun drunks in the Great Shinobi Kingdoms. “Well of course— good booze requires good company” Kaji admitted with a grin, and a nudge answering the knock he received on the arm only a few seconds ago. Nothing sounded more inviting than pouring glasses of potent dark liquor to celebrate a rare mark of accomplishment, and more excitedly, to recreate the magic of one particular night.

And then the conversation was carried forth smoothly, back on track by Ayumu’s knack for attention to detail, and awareness of a ticking clock on the wall. They were the major movers of their village after all— if they did not work their hardest, the village would ultimately feel the brunt of the consequences. The Raikage left the matter of Kaji’s ties with The Leaf to Kaji and the Hokage, seemingly confident that Kaji could handle the matter well enough. He also mentioned Yuuto Masaru (a former Cloud Shinobi who went to the Leaf in a similar capacity to Kaji), but what became of that man at the end of the foreign exchange was surely between him, Ayumu, and Umashi. Kaji absently shrugged at the matter, unsure of what Yuuto would do, though it was unknown to anyone at the table that Yuuto had in fact gone rogue from The Leaf, already. His whereabouts remained unknown at the time.

Then, the subject of the mysterious Dreadnought was discussed; open and shut like a book with Kaji granted the authority to see the mission through. It seemed that he had covered everything that brought Kaji to the tower so urgently. and now Kaji was the awkward company to the social naturals, Yuii and Ayumu. “No, I don’t think so” the Vice Commander answered Ayumu, who wondered if there was anything left to discuss. Kaji glanced between his company at the table, sure that Yuii wasn’t about to open up about the only other common thread between them left untouched— that was surely a discussion for another day, if ever. Kaji simply put the scrolls away and took another donut from the table, casually waiting to be dismissed. “I’m afraid I don’t have any more news to share,” he said with a humored yet relieved tone; “and you both know where to find me if you need anything.” Once he was given the cue to depart he'd slip away from their company, and find somewhere more auspicious than the Torre Celeste to properly greet his lady love.

Topic left unless stopped.

Kagetsu Yuii

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ayumu was right, at their level they could all accept a little day drinking when the work day got difficult, but starting the day off intoxicated was not a good example to set for the masses. It pained Yuii that she had to agree though. The wild part of her wanted to cast aside what anyone thought and drag Kaji off for a proper celebration, sun's position in the sky be damned. He'd been gone for days and it was only fair to want her lover's company when he was already planning another expedition now. The gods and their followers could not fault her for wanting one Sadly, the past years in office had left their mark and Yuii's sense of obligation had developed- to a point. The looming day ahead could not be canceled lest all the hard work she had done with newly found motivation be undone. She was working hard to see the railroad completed to benefit her country and more importantly Kaji who she loathed to disappoint. The importance of connecting fast transport to Leaf would be lost if Kaji could secure being indefinitely placed in Cloud, but that did not mean she should impede it with her selfishness. Those free to choose their life partners often said to choose one who challenged them to be better and in Kaji Yuii had certainly found that.

Whatever Ayumu picked would be delicious, she reassured herself, and Kaji was certain to share. In his own charming way, their new vice captain confirmed as much, leaving Yuii to fight back a blush. Instead, let a bubbly laugh convey her approval of that plan and her flattery over being called good company. She wasn't going to agree eagerly to drinks with their leader as company but letting some of the comradeship they had built through shared expeditions shine in their interactions would reassure Ayumu that they worked well together. If had to be stressful wondering if your closest associates would get along, especially when their work was so vital. Discarding their clandestine romantic relationship, Yuii was certain their shared experiences with the Kage meeting, Kaen's interrogation, the temple of soaring thunder and the construction project would have spurred them to a comfortable level of friendship.

Yuii's grin broadened at Ayumu's cringe, glad the terrible joke had not gun unappreciated. With a smile the Chesire cat could envy, she sunk low into her seat and used her armrest as a pillow. After so much food she could use a nap. "Spunky kid was my student first before your silly ANBU stole him," she interjected drowsily as the topic of Hoshi came up, teasing for a lack of anything better to say. Technically, most of the students from the starry boy's age group had been her charges before being appointed Sennin. "He's a good kid but draws trouble like a magnet. Look after him." The advice wasn't asked for, but after her last run in with Hoshi in the forest she couldn't help but say so. That brat had potential to be great if he didn't get himself killed before he grew into his strength.

Talk of dreadnaughts, dangerous missing-nin, and promotions was finished along with their breakfast. Ayumu noted what the natural end of their impromptu meeting first, inviting them to bring up anything more or get back to their work. That was the very last think Yuii wanted to do, relaxed as she had become, but avoiding it would not make the pile of papers on her desk go away. "And your new Vice Captain probably needs a nap," Yuii sang, hoping after his harrowing ride that Kaji would t get some rest- though she wasn't so certain he would. It was a wicked shame she could not join him nor invite him to use the cushion filled nest that occupied one corner of her office. Those seemed like the only ways to make certain he slept before diving into the never ending work before him.

She rose and dusted the crumbs from her lap as if she meant to leave, sending bits of blueberry muffin onto the carpet. Unfortunately, streaks of purple had already left their mark on her shirt and so she made a show of trying to clean them until Kaji had left. It was probably obvious she was lingering on purpose, as she had avoided confirming they had nothing else to talk about. Lying, regardless of severity, was not something she could do without good cause.

"Sometimes I think Raiden is testing my will to work with all these attractive men for colleagues," Yuii chimed, once said handsome man was gone, "I only wish you'd all take my suggestion for tight fitting, minimalistic, spandex tactical gear seriously; we'd have no trouble filling the Academy in twelve years from now." The return of her grin betrayed the joke, though Yuii was sure if most of the fit men of the village did take up wearing revealing gear they would see a boom in births. If not for Kaji, she might have campaigned for a change in uniform a little more seriously- just for fun.

Jokes aside, and certain that Kaji was not coming back. At least this time, she hadn't stayed back to admit to a crime. "I think you've made a good choice. He's been nothing but exceptional to work with until now and will be a good asset to ANBU," Sincere praise from Yuii was rare, but it was the truth and she knew once again that it was exactly how she would feel regardless of romantic dealings. His abilities and charm just happened to have also seduced her.

She retook her seat, making her intention to stay a bit longer apparent. "I hope Boots won't be too troubled we're keeping him. You never really told me the particulars of why the trade was ever done in the first place, you know? The toad medic seemed like an exceptional shinobi, but given Kaji's skill set and abilities I always wondered why he'd give him up even for a few years." The trade had just happened, like a gift from Raiden himself, but in the shinobi world, few deals were ever done without reason. "If Boots says no, will we jeopardize the alliance to keep hold of him?"

Kogami Ayumu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
It seemed as though the breakfast and impromptu meeting were coming to a close. It had been pleasant, and Ayumu had gotten the chance to have the conversation he had been anticipating with Kaji for some time now. All in all, a successful day. Yet it seemed the conversation wasn't entirely finished as Yuii drug her feet intentionally until Kaji had already left. She commented on her eternal plight with handsome colleagues and Ayumu chuckled at her repetition of the, he assumed, fake suggestion.

"Why Yuii, do you have a thing for our friend Kaji?" he asked, not still unknowing how accurate his teasing truly was. "I understand. I had similar troubles when Kahako and I were both Sennin..." Ayumu recalled. Two branch leaders having a thing for each other? How would any work ever get done?! The tone of the conversation shifted as Yuii surprised Ayumu with a moment of earnest recognition of Kaji's qualities. Ayumu silently stared in awe as Yuii returned to her seat. Someone had actually earned praise like that from Yuii? It reinforced the confidence Ayumu had in his decision, but it also raised a hint of curiosity in him. Yuii had taken quite the interest in Kaji.

She had questions, perhaps those that she didn't want Kaji around to hear. She was curious how the trade had come about to begin with, and also wondered to what extent they would fight to keep Kaji. Of course, it was a natural question. The trade was only ever supposed to be temporary, so would Umashi truly be okay with making the deal permanent? Ayumu shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"It was Umashi's idea, initially. He was interested in Yuuto, and thought the idea of us exchanging a shinobi each would help with our collaboration... temporarily. Kaji is great... I wouldn't have given him the promotion if I didn't believe that. He'll be great for the branch, and all the better if we can keep him permanently. I'd be willing to make concessions to Konoha in order to try to persuade the Hokage to let us keep Kaji, because he's so valuable. But... if it means throwing away the alliance and risking conflict with Konoha? I can't do that. I have to think of what's best for the village," Ayumu admitted. He wondered if Yuii wanted him to say he'd go to war to keep Kaji. Maybe she was just testing him to make sure he wouldn't? Why did she seem so invested in it?

"What do you think I should do in that case?" he asked, curious of her intentions behind asking the question.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back