Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Grand Rounds #1 [open medical class]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Nara-NPC_zpsb0a5a210.jpg

cloud_medninchief.gif
I have to say, Kushin, you’ve done me proud. Getting that stingy-ass Raikage to fund a bunch of new attending positions, increasing our resident class sizes, and even poaching half of the last graduating academy class from the ANBU. Perhaps our hospital won’t go under in the end, thought Bii-Ryu to himself as he watched the class of SE ’05 file into their seats for the first Grand Rounds of the year. It had been a while since attendance had been so substantial for what was one of the most important rituals and teaching tools of the medical education system, and he had to be sure not to waste the opportunity. The doors to the lecture hall were of course, always kept open in adherence to the Hayatacratic oath, which stated that medical education should be openly and freely provided to the medical community as well as the community at large. Also, it allowed stragglers to arrive late without disrupting the proceedings.

“Ahem,” he started as he signaled for everyone to cease their conversations, cell-phone games, and makeout sessions. Katsumi, I’m looking right at you. “Thank you all for coming today to Grand Rounds. I’d first like to acknowledge our new Sennin Isaki Kushin, as well as our new medical students, Higa Kahako and Suzaku Keiji. Please rise so everyone can see you,” he said, motioning to the two of them before continuing.

“It’s been a while since we’ve had attendance like this, so I’d like to do something a bit different for this one. I know some of you were looking forward to hearing my talk on the new field of laparoscopic chakra surgery, but since there are so many new students here, as well as new residents and attending hires, I’d like to give you all a basic refresher course on the fundamentals.

“We owe it to our patients to have a solid starting ground on which to pursue our practice. When we tell a fellow shinobi that his leg must be amputated and thus his career ended ten years too early, or when we tell a family that their beloved grandmother should be placed on a morphine drip to end her suffering in the last throes of sepsis, we must be confident and competent in our decisions. Our authority over matters of life and death is derived from our knowledge and our shared experience and education, and without these things we are no better than monkeys with saws and knives.

“For the students who have started today, this marks the beginning of a long and arduous path on which you will always be treading for the rest of your careers. Medical education does not stop. I repeat, medical education does not stop! Even Sennin Isaki is a student in his own right, for he is always reading and pursuing the latest research and therapeutic techniques to teach the rest of us. For the next four years, you two will learn the basics as trainees. Then when you become mednin residents, you will quickly discover that the basics are not enough. You will strive to improve your knowledge and your skills for four more years as resident mednin. And when you become chiefs, you will discover that your knowledge and skills are still not enough. Before you get discouraged, however, realize that we are all in the same boat, and that we all have the duty to help each other. No one goes about this alone.”

He paused to drink out of a nearby water glass.

“So without further ado, let’s begin. I like to have people answer questions, and unfairly, I will be picking on the medical students. Residents and chiefs, try not to spoil them by responding first. First, Higa and Suzaku, how in general do you describe the human body? How do you describe locations on the human body? If I want to know if an upper arm wound with an exposed brachial artery gushing blood everywhere is closer to someone’s elbow or his shoulder, how would you tell me over the radio in the midst of battle when I cannot see the patient? If a shinobi has been shot in the abdomen, how do you tell me where when I'm a thousand kilometers away? How do I know whether to tell you to perform direct peritoneal lavage or simply perform a field thoracotomy and aortic cross-clamping? I know you haven’t taken advanced anatomy yet, but I’m talking about just the surface.”
This is a class directed primarily at MiTs as well as other medical branchers, although it is really open to all participants from any branch of any level. Medical nin will get IC promotion credits for this class, as will academy students for their general completion.

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
‘Notebook. Training manual. Tea. Toast… I’m ready.’ Kahako thought as she walked through the doors of the lecture hall. Many individuals were chatting amongst themselves, already in their seats, waiting for class to start. Kahako chose somewhere in the middle of the lecture hall to sit, devouring the last of her toast as class begun.

I’d first like to acknowledge our new Sennin Isaki Kushin, as well as our new medical students, Higa Kahako and Suzaku Keiji. Please rise so everyone can see you…”

Kahako stood as she was called, and gave a small bow before promptly returning to her seat and opening her notebook. She had been excited for this class. Really, she had been excited about anything relating to medicine. There was something about this field that differed from the economic world. She felt like she was actually making a difference in it. It was something more… hands on.

Kahako listened as Bii-Ryu-sensei began the class. She took a sip of her bitter Oolong tea, pen in the other hand, and prepared to write down whatever he said. It was a bit of a relief that they weren’t going over a very technical topic. She was still new to this field after all…. But the fact that this was a refresher course didn’t clear her from the hurdle of medical jargon.

First, Higa and Suzaku, how in general do you describe the human body? How do you describe locations on the human body? If I want to know if an upper arm wound with an exposed brachial artery gushing blood everywhere is closer to someone’s elbow or his shoulder, how would you tell me over the radio in the midst of battle when I cannot see the patient? If a shinobi has been shot in the abdomen, how do you tell me where when I'm a thousand kilometers away? How do I know whether to tell you to perform direct peritoneal lavage or simply perform a field thoracotomy and aortic cross-clamping? I know you haven’t taken advanced anatomy yet, but I’m talking about just the surface.”

Kahako’s eyes widened a bit for being called on the spot suddenly. Her face remained as calm as ever, but on the inside she was freaking out a bit from the question. There were a plethora of terms that flew over her head, and for a split second, she wondered if Bii-Ryu slipped into vulgar kumo. None the less, she closed her eyes and tried to understand what exactly the doctor was asking for. Standing slowly, Kahako grabbed at the tiny charm around her neck and tried to answer the question to the best of her ability.

“If I understand you correctly, sensei, the answer is in the question itself. The best way to describe the human body is by knowing the proper terms of the body. Knowing even the skeletal and muscular system from memory will allow the appropriate information to be relayed, at least in a basic sense.”
She glanced down at the training manual Kitsune gave her, remembering her poor attempts at remembering the layout of the skeletal system. “Though, knowing the muscular system would probably be a better option, as it has more detail.”

Kahako sat down quickly, slightly embarrassed by her answer. She wasn’t sure if that was what Bii-Ryu was asking, but that was how she translated the question. Hopefully Keiji-san was in the same situation as she was and equally as confused.

Keiji

The Unfortunate Overlord
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
Another long day, another dreadful day, sitting by his table in his study room, the sun was protruding through the cracks in the curtains covering over the window, revealing the vast amount of dust lying around, covering almost everything, the extensive time of not using anything other than the table and chair had taken it's toll on time. He sat in the chair by the work table with a small red book lying there opened in his lap, head bowed down reading through the final chapter. As he finished, he closed the book with a smack and put it in front on him on the table, finally closed. Stepping up and taking a good long stretch as looked across the room, ending with his eyes resting on the mellow looking sun aching to penetrate through the curtains and light up the empty study room. He stepped over to the window, a slight pain in his thigh, the usual when he had been sitting down for as long as he had. He slided the curtains to the side and opened up the window, his eyes had no strains towards the sunlight, or the act of getting used to the darkness as he had before, since there was no dilation process in his eyes anymore, almost as if they just were perfect at all times. A confusing thought to some, He looked out the window leaning out and scanned through the area outside, Academy students, Genins, senseis, and more. none of them seemed familiar at first glance, but he knew how he could easily find someone he knew if there was one amongst them. He took a step back, closed his eyes and concentrated chakra around his eyes as he made the Snake seal with the right index finger lifted straight up. "mhpf!"</COLOR><i></i> The veins around his eyes increased in density and size, and veins appeared in his eyes. He looked out of the window again and scanned his eyes across the students and Genins, looking, examining their chakra veins inside of their body he noticed a shimmer, a small slightly distinctly different colored chakra he recognized it with ease, it was Kahako, he had seen her around the halls through the hospital before, but avoided contact with her. <COLOR color="darkgree">"Seems like we'll we in the same class Kahako-chan" He said loudly to himself as he stepped back and released the Byakugan. He closed the window, straightened his clothes, grabbed his shoulder bag and then stepped out of the room. His dreadlocks all fiddled into each other, his clothes a bit dusty and the distinct feeling of a pebble in his shoe. He ignored it for now, and made his way down the stairs to the ground floor. He walked to the other end of the research wing, where the collective study halls were placed, he hadn't seen them in use for a long time, and was eerily excited to be amongst the people to use it. He made his way inside, he was in relatively good time, noticing Kahako having already sat down and begun to devour the remaining part of her toast. An appreciated smile appeared on his lips as he sat himself in the front seats furthest to the wall, away from the door. He avoided eye contact or even getting noticed by Kahako as he sat down and put his shoulder bag to the side of the table just as the class was starting.

"Please rise so everyone can see you…"

Keiji looked up just as he had taken off his shoe to remove the pebble inside, he raised up with his one shoe missing, lying on the ground, with his dusty clothes and his dreadlocks all frizzy and laying rather randomly on his head. He merely looked around and gave a small wave and a tense smile to the rest of the class. He sat himself back down with a quick bump and quickly returned to the removal of the pebble operation. As the pebble finally fell out, the sensei began to explain he wouldn't give him and Kahako leisure by any means. He pulled his shoe back on as the sensei gave a rather prolonged question. It was an unexpected, but an easy one he thought to himself. He first waited for Kahako to come with her answer, and then stood up just as she was sitting herself back down.

"The answer is fairly simple, it all depends. Examining the brachial artery, the closer we get to the shoulder we get the median antebrachial cutaneous nerve. And around the middle of it is the superior ulnar collateral artery. Last but not least nearing the elbow is the inferior ulnar collateral artery. I suppose that is the easy way to explain it." He yawned loudly and stretched his right arm up in the air. "And your next question. Since we're so lucky that the abdomen is split into many smaller sections we can easily deduct by the names of the areas. Is it above or below the Transpyloc plane? Is it above or below the Transtubercular plane? If below there's the left or right Iliae, Hypogastrie in the middle, and above that is the Umbilical, then there's the right or left Lumbar, above in the middle is the Epigastrie, then there's the left and right Hypochondiae. Personally I like to refer to it like a chessboard." Keiji looked to the table in front of him with a wandering mind "A1 to B3." He looked up again to the Sensei, "like that. Know what I mean?" While he had been talking an eerie smile had appeared on his lips without himself even realizing it. He thought back for a second and then continued, "Now in regards to your last question, it all really depends on where the attack was caused, if there is no risk of blood in his stomach then a direct peritoneal lavage would do you no good at all other than make a big mess of things, but if there is a chance that it might occur you'd want to quickly perform a field thoracotomy and aortic cross-clamping to avoid the really bad stuff." He sat back down again as he yawned and took his hand into his shoulder bag and pulled out a dark green colored book, and began to read it from page one.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Nara-NPC_zpsb0a5a210.jpg

cloud_medninchief.gif
Bii-Ryu’s eyes narrowed to slits as he took in both Kahako’s and Keiji’s responses to his question. The two students’ responses were about as far from each other as night and day. Kahako’s was too simplistic and open-ended, and Keiji’s too complex and full of jargon and Classical Kumo.

“I see you’ve gotten commendably far ahead in Principles of Surgical Anatomy, Suzaku, while you, Higa, probably need to catch up a bit. That said, I actually think Higa’s response is more in line with what I was hoping to talk about and introduce to you today. This is a lecture on foundations, not a lecture on the minutiae of trauma management in the field. So, without further ado, I refer you to this diagram which I will be referring to,” he said, bringing up an image of a human male on the nearby projection screen.
“This is a representation of a human being divided up into spatial and geometric planes which are very important when we talk about space on the body. I want you to imagine your own body for this one.

“First, draw an imaginary line down the exact middle of your body and imagine it cutting you in half. This is the sagittal plane, and things that are closer to this line down your body are called ‘medial’ and things that are further to the sides and away from this line are called ‘lateral.’ Next, draw an imaginary line down the middle of your body again, except this one divides you into front and back parts. This is the coronal plane, and things that are in front are called ‘anterior’ or alternatively ‘ventral’ while things in back are called ‘posterior’ or alternatively ‘dorsal’, like the fins of a shark. Now, imagine yourself being cut in half at the level of your waist, such that your torso is one half and your pelvis and legs are the other. This is called the transverse plane and things that are closer to your head are called ‘cephalad’ or alternatively, ‘cranial’ and things that are closer to your feet are called ‘caudad’ or ‘caudal’. The word ‘cauda’ in Classical Kumo, by the way, means ‘tail’. Finally, imagine a singular point in the middle of your body, pretty much where your sternum meets the top of your abdomen. Things that are closer to this point are ‘proximal’ and things away from this point are ‘distal’, and you should use proximal and distal to refer to the relative positions of body parts. For example, the wrists are distal to the elbows but proximal to the fingers.

“In my example with the arm wound, if you tell me the wound is very distal on the upper arm, I know that it is closer to the elbow, whereas if you tell if it is proximal, I know it is closer to the shoulder.

“The abdomen, by the way, is described with terms like hypogastrium and hypochrondria, however in common medical parlance we simply refer to it with five zones; the epigastrium which is above the umbilicus and right where someone punches you to cause you to lose your wind, and the right upper, right lower, left upper, and left lower quadrants. Usually, that is all the terminology you will need in everyday practice, because we all know that the liver and biliary tree are in the right upper quadrant whereas the sigmoid flexure and the female left adnexa are in the left lower quadrant.

“For you, Suzaku, it is pretty much the position of the wound and the mechanism of attack that determine the risk of hemoperitoneum, or blood in the abdominal cavity. Also, we perform a laparotomy for that, rather than a thoracotomy, which would be done if a shinobi has a chest wound and loses his or her vital signs.” he said, sipping on his glass and peering at the students who were busy scribbling notes.

“Further education will be given to you in your anatomy classes and cadaver labs. My advice for those is to bring a big lunch, because hours of doing dissections makes a person pretty hungry. Moving on, I’d like to introduce you all to the concept of the standard medical presentation.

“Most medicine in the world, and not just shinobi medicine, is practiced based on a hierarchical system in which lower-ranked clinicians such as mednin in training and mednin in residency often make the first clinical contact with a patient. However, decision-making authority in the end is the responsibility of the supervisory person, usually the attending physician or surgeon, who may not even physically see a patient unlike the trainee or resident. Therefore, it is incumbent on the trainee or resident to be able to verbally give their supervisor an accurate but not over-detailed presentation of the patient’s clinical state, because in a wartime situation, it is you who will be on the front lines treating your wounded comrades, not your attendings for the most part.

“So I’d like you two to first tell me, before I tell you, what do you think is important in a presentation? And I’m not talking about things like speaking clearly or dressing in a suit or not using PowerPoint – we’re not Main Branchers doing a corporate pitch. I want to know what types of specific information should be included every time you tell an attending or your resident about a patient you just saw. I’ll give you one for free; I always want to know a patient’s age and gender."

Keiji

The Unfortunate Overlord
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
Keiji quickly pulled out a small pen from his backpack and scribbled notes in the very book he had taken out and had begun reading. Inside the book he had placed small sheets of paper which had the size of of pages in the book, he moved these continually as he progress through the book. He had devised this strategy in order to keep up with his studies and at the same time be able to take notes while listening to the class. As the sensei went on Keiji merely flipped his page, and continued reading while listening. Then he asked what specific information a medical sensei would need to know in a situation. Keiji put his book open on his table quickly as he pondered for a second, then stood up with a firm look on his face, held his hands behind his back and began speaking. "I think the most important information were to be Are the Pupils dilated or not, temperature of skin, or to be precise the forhead, is the patient speaking, reacting, or is he unconscious, source of blood if any, in other words the location and depth of wound if there is one, the cause of the attack, Blood pressure, And the breathing, if any." He relaxed his arms and held them to his side, then waited a few seconds, then he sat back down again, and grabbed his book again to take notes of whatever the Sensei would say in reply.

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kahako opened her notebook; both embarrassed and satisfied that her answer was off, but still the closest. As she began to write down her notes she glanced at the back of Keiji’s head. It felt like she won through technicalities. Even if her answer was closer, it was obvious who currently held more knowledge out of the two of them. Keiji had been studying, and he had been studying hard. Kahako felt a sense of jealousy at the speed in which Keiji had leaped ahead of her. If this kept up, he would leave her far behind, and she would be seen at the weak link of their graduating class.

A small, almost unnoticeable frown marred her lips as she looked from the chart on the screen to her notebook, diligently writing down what Bii-Ryu-sensei said instead of focusing on the diagram on the screen. She jotted a quick note in the margins of her notebook to ask for a copy of the diagram later to add to her notes.

She let a small smirk rise on her face at Bii-Ryu’s stab at corporate Kumo and waited patiently for Keiji to finish giving his answer. When he finished, she added her own thoughts. “Any known pre-existing conditions or allergies would be important information to relay immediately,” she said simply before sitting back down. Keiji had once again given a detailed answer, leaving little for her to expand upon. She felt a little bit like a fool for once again being shown up in the middle of class. The frown that had been on her face returned again. This was the second time around that Kahako felt like she had been shown up, and once again, she did not like it.

Maybe she was over-reacting, but this class was showing her that she was falling behind the boy she barely knew. She would need to step up her game if she even wanted to be close in competing against this Suzaku Keiji in the medical field.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Nara-NPC_zpsb0a5a210.jpg

cloud_medninchief.gif
Some improvement in the responses this time, noted Bii-Ryu as he nodded to each of them. It was easy to make fun of or detest students for their lack of medical knowledge, but what many of the attendings and even mednin residents tended to forget was that they were once in that position as well, and that it was the sacred responsibility of the knowledgeable to educate and nurture the ignorant until they too were able to pass their experience on to the next generation and thereafter.

“Both of you have touched on important aspects of the medical presentation. Suzaku has outlined vital components of the physical exam, whereas Higa has reminded us not to forget about the past medical history and a patient’s allergies, which can be fatal. However, those are only parts of the whole presentation, so let me fill in the gaps.

“The medical presentation is important because it takes a very complex thing – that is, an individual’s health history and current status – and transforms it into a simplified but accurate ‘package’ that can be easily passed from one clinician to another without losing fidelity and without taking an inordinate amount of precious time. We are all unique – we all have millions of reasons why our life experience and thus our health histories are different from each other. You could spend years on end intensively studying a single individual and never really know him or her completely. But we do not have time to spend like that, not when there are dozens of injured to tend to on the battlefield and even more waiting back at the hospital. So we have to simplify and standardize and be able to pass this knowledge between each other. Doing so allows me to easily assume care of, say, Isaki Kushin’s patients and vice versa, and to ensure that their care is safe.

“So what goes into a medical presentation? There are several key components:

“First, is the Chief Complaint, or CC for short. It is a one-sentence description of the patient in which we identify the patient’s age, gender, and chief complaint, which is the problem that brought them to medical attention in the first place. For example:

‘Chuunin X is a 20-year-old otherwise healthy male presenting with a cough and fever.’

“Next, is the History of Present Illness, or HPI for short. In this section, we briefly elaborate on and explain what the patient’s main symptoms are, how long they have been going on for, and how they are changing or what the patient is doing to make themselves feel worse or better. There are of course many other types of information you could include in this section, and you will learn what information is necessary or superfluous as you gain more experience. A simple example:

‘The symptoms started three days ago with mild coughing and low-grade temperatures at home but now he is experiencing worsening shortness of breath along with production of brown-tinged sputum. It is made worse when he attempts to train and his symptoms are relieved slightly when he rests.’

“Then comes the Review of Systems, or ROS for short. It is a general survey of other bodily systems besides the ones that directly relate to the chief complaint, and what you report here may lend more information that may be helpful. For example:

‘He reports a mild headache and nausea, but he has not had significant vomiting, abdominal pain, or bleeding.’

“Following the ROS is the Past Medical History, or PMH. This is the section that Higa touched on, and here you briefly list major medical problems of significance, as well as any prior pertinent surgeries. In addition, you should list medications and allergies. For most shinobi of the village, who are healthy, this section will be mostly bare save for the occasional broken bone or skin graft as a result of battle or training mishaps. But for the village’s civilian population and elderly, this section can be long indeed. For Shinobi X I might say:

‘The patient’s past medical history includes fixation of a broken humerus two years ago but no other chronic medical issues,’ whereas for his grandfather, I might need to say ‘The patient’s history includes coronary artery disease, arthritis of the knees, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and prior gallbladder surgery.’

“Similarly, when recounting a medication list, Shinobi X might be on nothing, whereas his grandfather might be on ten different medications and have allergies to several types of major antibiotics.

“A brief word on Social and Family History are also important when you have time. Many of our shinobi smoke, drink alcohol to excess, and have experimented with mind-altering substances and performance enhancing drugs, not to mention cursed seals and kinjutsu. These are all things that are important to mention in the right context. For example, someone who has a Sharingan implant experienced very different problems from someone with a Hyuuga’s byakugan implant.

‘Shinobi X smokes approximately a pack a day of cigarettes and binge drinks on the weekends and after missions. He does not have a Kinjutsu on record,’ and so forth.

“Now, as Suzaku mentioned, we come to the physical exam. At minimum you should comment on the patient’s vital signs, general appearance, mental state, and obvious traumatic injuries. You should also give a brief mention of the chest and abdominal components. Beyond that, however, you will be forced to choose what information you think is important to relay. We simply do not have the time to exhaustively recount the location of every mole on the patient’s body. I do not care if Shinobi X has an extra toe or an old facial scar if he is presenting with a cough and fever – I want to know what his lungs sound like and how fast his heart is going. So, a basic physical exam might sound like this:

‘Shinobi X has the following vital signs: Blood Pressure 124/50, Heart Rate 98, Temperature 36C, Respiratory Rate 24, and Oxygen Saturation of 99% on room air.

Overall the patient seems comfortable but looks winded.

Head, Eyes, Ears, Nose, Throat: Pupils equal, round and reactive to light; no trauma noted.

Lungs: Crackles and Bronchial breath sounds noted at right base. No wheezing or other abnormal sounds noted over any other area of the lung.

Cardiac: Rhythm was Regular. Normal S1 and S2. No murmurs or extra heart sounds noted.

Abdomen: Symmetric appearing; soft, flat, non-tender; no palpable masses.

Extremities: No evidence of clubbing, cyanosis or edema.

Neurologic Exam: Intact cranial nerves with bilaterally equal strength, sensation and deep tendon reflexes.’

“Next, you would list pertinent lab studies, X-ray studies, or other test results that help you arrive at a diagnosis. An example might be:

‘Lab work was remarkable for: White count of 18 thousand with 10% bands; Normal Chem 7 and LFTs. Room air blood gas: pH of 7.45/ PO2 of 55/PCO2 of 30. Sputum gram stain remarkable for an abundance of polys along with gram positive diplococci. CXR showed a dense right lower lobe infiltrate without effusion.’

“And finally, perhaps the most important part of all, your Assessment and Plan. All of the information you have relayed so far is geared toward supporting your diagnosis of what the patient has, as well as your plan for treating it. Even in situations where you may not know the answer immediately, you still need to be able to have an idea of what you want to do overall, whether it is more testing, empiric antibiotics, exploratory surgery, whatever you think. We would close Shinobi X’s presentation with something like this:

‘Shinobi X is a healthy young male presenting with cough and fever with worsening shortness of breath. His history, physical exam, and laboratory and X-ray data support a diagnosis of pneumonia. My plan is to start him on oral antibiotics as well as anti-inflammatory drugs. If he does not improve, I will have him return for intravenous antibiotics and hospitalization.’

“So as you see, every presentation for every patient follows a set order and relays specific, edited information. In this way, you can at least gain basic familiarity with a patient who you may never have seen before and may never see again. And that familiarity is what allows you to be confident with your treatment decisions and to let your superiors know that you are confident in your decisions.”

Bii-Ryu took another sip from his glass.

“As an exercise, please open your main textbooks to the Clinical Case Studies section. Suzaku, I want you to give me a presentation of case number eight, and Higa, I want you to give me a presentation of case eleven. Although the answers to their actual disease processes are given at the end, it is not your actual diagnosis of the disease that I am interested in, it’s your presentation.”
Just to keep the NC immersion, feel free to make up Japanese-sounding names for the patients in these vignettes. Let me know if you're having difficulty accessing the webpages.

Keiji

The Unfortunate Overlord
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
As Bii-Ryu-sensei explained and elaborated the way to build a proper presentation Keiji took notes as he flipped the page in his books, and continued so till Bii-Ryu-sensei suddenly exclaimed their next assignment. "Suzaku, I want you to give me a presentation of case number eight" As soon as he had finished the sentence Keiji had already put his own book closed with a piece of paper inside of it and begun to rummage through his bag for the text book. Placing it on his table with a quick bump he began to open it up, read for the correct location, and began reading, with his eyes fully focused it only took a few minutes for him to examine the text, and assess the necessary writing and reading to complete the assignment. He pulled from his bag a few pieces of paper, took his pen out and began writing. With almost lightning speed and pure focus he concentrated chakra in his hand, utilizing one of the more basic healing jutsus to relieve the strain from his hands, as well as helping moving he pen correctly at all times, as well making his writing look neat and 'perfect'. Sweat drops appeared on his forehead creeping down the side of his face as he continued writing, as he neared the end, a slight smile appeared on the side of his face. It had taken him about 10 minutes all in all. As he put the pen aside he held up the papers and went through them all, nummerically examining the writing, if there were any errors. The smile grew wider as he stood up, holding the papers sorted and walked to the teacher's table and placed them on the table, he looked across the room quickly as he walked back to his seat, noticing no one else had delivered the finished paper yet. He sat back down with a self appraising grin, feeling immensely proud of his personal achievement. After a little while he picked up his little book and returned to reading again.

OOC said:
When/if Bii-Ryu-sama were to look through the papers we would see the following:
Presentation said:
Date: 21st May
Chief Complaint said:
Hyouin-san is a 76 year-old male with no contributory medical history who presents with worsening anginal symptoms
History of Present Illness said:
Shortness of breath, back has been hurting for two months and lately also his hips as well.

So to elaborate.
Increasing exertional angina, Shortness of breath, Postural hypotension, Ankle edema as well as Low back pain.
Review of Systems said:
His problems with urination have been getting worse over several years.
The back pain has bothered him for several months, but now it has become quite limiting.
His exertional angina and postural hypotension have gotten worse in the past few weeks.
He thinks his weight has remained stable.

Upon further questioning Mr. Hyouin-san reveals the following information.
He has never seen bright red blood in his stool but it sounds like he might be having melanotic stools.
He says he's taking 10 to 15 aspirin a day because of his back pain.
He has had intermittent epigastric discomfort over the past few weeks, but reports no vomiting.
Past Medical History said:
He has had no previous serious illnesses.
Hospitalized at age 43 for an appendectomy.
Social and Family History said:
He's not a smoker.
Both his parents died in their 60's, his father with a stroke, his mother with complications of diabetes.
He's on no medication.
Physical Exam said:
Apart from trouble sitting in one position, because of back pain, he is in no significant distress.
Blood Pressure is at 124/68 mmHg,
Heart rate at 92 and irregular, Temperature is at 38.4C, Respiratory Rate at 18/minute.
Auscultation of the chest reveals crackling rales bilaterally.
Abdomen is soft with slight enlargement of the liver. Bowel sounds are present.
Palpation of the back reveals no muscle spasm, there is minimal tenderness to manipulation. He has substantial limitation of motion due to pain.
Rectal exam reveals an enlarged, non-tender, hard prostate.
The stool is positive for occult blood.
Lab studies results said:
[spoilername="CBC results"]WBC (thousands/uL) - 13.9 (3.5-11.5)
  • Neut - 90% - (44-88)
  • Lymph - 6% - (12-43)
  • Mono - 2% - (2-11)
  • Eos - 2% - (0-5)
RBC (million/uL) - 2.9 - (4.0-5.7)
Hgb (g/dL) - 8.7 - (12.5-16.5)
HCT (%) - 29% - (42-51)
MCV (fL) - 84 - (80-100)
MCH (pg) - 30.2 - (27-35)
Platelets (thousands/uL) - 430 - (130-440)[/spoilername]
[spoilername="Chem Profile"]Glucose (mg/dL) 128 (65-110)
BUN (mg/dL) - 62 - (7-24)
Creatinine (mg/dL) - 2.8 - (0.6-1.3 mg/dL)
Cholesterol (mg/dL) - 244 - (<200 mg/dL)
Calcium (mg/dL) - 10.2 - (8.5-10.5 mg/dL)
Protein (g/dL) - 6.2 - (6-8 g/dL))
Albumin (g/dL) - 3.6 - (3.6-5.0 g/dL)
LDH (U/L) - 297 - (100-250 U/L)
Alk Phos (U/L) - 132 - (30-120 U/L)
AST (U/L) - 35 - (5-55 U/L)
GGTP (U/L) - 26 - (5-50 U/L)
Bilirubin (total in mg/dL) - 0.6 - (.02-1.5 mg/dL)
Bilirubin (direct in mg/dL) - 0.09 - (.02-0.18 mg/dL)
Uric acid (mg/dL) - 7.8 - (3-8.5 mg/dL)[/spoilername]
[spoilername="Coagulation Stdies"]Protime (seconds) - 11.5 - (11-14)
Partial Thromboplastion Time (PTT) - (seconds) 20 - (19-28)[/spoilername]
[spoilername="Urinalysis"]Sp. Grav. 1.010 (1.010-1.055)
pH - 6.0 - (5.0-7.5)
Protein - 3+ - (Neg)
Glucose - Neg - (Neg)
Ketones - Neg - (Neg)
Hemoglobin - 3+ - (Neg)
Color Amber (Yellow)
Clarity Clear (Clear)
WBC - 3/HPF - (0-5)
RBC - 32/HPF - (0-2)[/spoilername]
[spoilername="Special Chemistry"]- - - Test - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Result - - - - - -Reference

Stool for Occult Blood - - - - - - - - -Positive - - - - - - Negative[/spoilername]
Assessment and Plan said:
The differential diagnosis includes.
  • CHF
  • Prostatic hyperplasia or carcinoma.
  • Early renal failure.
  • Normocytic anemia.
  • GI blood loss.

My Plan is to work Hyouin-san up for these things, by obtaining a Chest Xray, EKG, CT scan of the abdomen, and if necessary, biopsies of the prostate as an inpatient.
He will likely need a transfusion of 2 units of blood. Time to prick Kushin!

Note: We were fortunate to plan the entire day with different tests.

We did a Creatinine clearance
[spoilername="result"]- - - Test - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Value - - - - - -Reference

Creatinine clearance (24 hr) - - - 16 ml/min - - - - 105 ml/min

KIDNEY
Kidney_zps1c6550da.jpg

• his kidney function is pretty bad.
[/spoilername]

A PSA
[spoilername="Result"]- - - Test - - - - - - - - - - Value - - - - - -Reference

- - PSA - - - - - - - - - - - 17 ng/ml - - - - - <4ng/ml[/spoilername]

A chest X-ray
[spoilername="Result"]CHEST
Xray_zps6abc5b84.jpg

This image shows the following:
  • Blunted pleural angle on right.
  • Major fluffy infiltrates bilaterally.
  • Enlarged heart shadow.
[/spoilername]

An EKG
[spoilername="Result"]
ekgabn1_zps9dc42016.jpg

• Atrial flutter with a competing junctional pacemaker
  • LVH with QRS widening.
  • ST & T wave abnormalities, R/O anterior ischemia.
[/spoilername]

This basically reveals that.
  • His chest film is consistent with CHF.
  • His EKG is compatible with ischemia.
  • His renal function is indicative of failure.
  • The CT of his kidneys shows bilateral hydronephrosis.
  • The history of taking so much aspirin for his musculoskeletal pain might explain his positive stool for occult blood.
  • Marked elevated PSA.

Further differential diagnosis includes in accordance to the latest tests.
  • Advanced coronary heart disease with CHF.
  • Renal failure secondary to lower urinary tract obstruction.
  • Prostatic carcinoma, possibly metastatic.
  • Normocytic anemia, probably secondary to renal failure (decreased erythropoietin), perhaps made worse by GI blood loss secondary to aspirin use.

Still not enough information, further tests would be necessary to determine exact Diagnostic.
Too many open ended questions. Need to schedule another examination, this time for a longer period.

note said:
Date: 12th June
Scheduled another exam with Hyouin-san, this time we hospitalized him and situated him in room 5B in hall C2 further tests are to be executed.

Repeating the EKG as we stabilize his CHF to see if he has an acute myocardial infarction
[spoilername="Result"]
EKG said:
ekgabn1_zps9dc42016.jpg

• Atrial flutter with a competing junctional pacemaker
  • LVH with QRS widening.

ST & T wave abnormalities, R/O anterior ischemia.
Cardiac specific enzymes said:
Test - - - - - - - - - Value - - - - - - - -Reference
____________ ______________ ________________
CPK - - - - - - - - - - - 212 - - - - - - - -24-195 U/L
CPK-MB - - - - - - - - - 20 - - - - - - - -10-25 U/L = Borderline
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - >25 U/L = Infarct
LDH - - - - - - - - - - -286 - - - - - - - - 100-250 U/L
AST - - - - - - - - - - - 38 - - - - - - - - - -5-55 U/L
Troponin-I - - - - - - 0.6 ng/ml - - - - <0.5 ng/ml = healthy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 0.5-2.0 ng/ml = borderline
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - >2.0 ng/ml = AMI
[/spoilername]

A therapy form is advised.
  • Protein restriction. Reduce nitrogenous waste products. Intake should not exceed 0.6-0.7 g/kg.day.
  • Potassium restriction. Restrict to 40 meq/day when GFR is below 20 mi/min.
  • Phosphate and calcium. There will be phosphate retention, leading to lowered serum calcium levels and secondary elevation of PTH. Restrict dietary phosphorus to 800-1000 mg/day.
  • Fluid and sodium restriction. No added salt, monitor fluids and daily weights.
  • Magnesium restriction. Some antacids and cathartics should be avoided.
  • Hypertension. High blood pressure accelerates renal damage. Shoot for 125/75 mmHg. ACE inhibitors.
  • Acidosis. Oral sodium bicarbonate, 325-650 mg PO tid.
  • Anemia. Target Hct is 31-36%. Human recombinant erythropoietin 50-100 unitis/kg SC 2-3 times weekly.
  • Renal replacement therapies. Hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis.

note said:
Date: 15th June
Decided to extend Hyouin-san's stay in order to do more tests, this appears to be more severe than first anticipated.

Further study went into the prostate.
We performed a needle biopsy.
[spoilername="Result"]
NeedleBiopsyprostate_zps08833468.jpg
[/spoilername]

And an Ultra sound.
[spoilername="Result"]
Ultrasound_zps2888c060.jpg

• Note the X's delineating the size of the gland.
  • This is one large gland. Converted to inches, it measures 3.25 by 3.75. This is between two and three times the expected size.
[/spoilername]

As well as a bone scan.
[spoilername="result"]
BoneScan_zps1a03c506.jpg

• Note the numerous "hot spots" in his pelvis, ribs and spine.
[/spoilername]

In order further evaluate the actual cause and calamity with the patient we work up his Anemia
[spoilername="Result"]Test - - - - - - - - - Value - - - - - - - -Reference
____________ ______________ ________________
Serum Iron - - - - - - 48 mcg/dL - - - - Adult Male 50-160 mcg/dL
Iron Binding - - - - - 455 mcg/dL - - - Adult 255-450 mcg/dL
% Saturation - - - - - -15% - - - - - - - -Adult 20-50%[/spoilername]

note said:
Date: 18th June
With the latest tests we have concluded the severity of the case.
He appears to have Coronary atherosclerosis, this conclusion derives from his CHF, Myocardial ischemia, and Atrial flutter
As well as Prostatic adenocarcinoma this conclusion derives from his Bone scan evidence of metastasis, Severe bone pain, Lower urinary tract obstruction and bilateral hydronephrosis (from the X-ray of his Kidney)
And also sufferes from Renal failure, this conclusion derives from his Bilateral hydronephrosis, Extensive chronic pyelonephritis (From the needle biopsy) as well as Normocytic anemia secondary to decreased erythropoietin.

We have also severe results showing that Hyouin-san might have prostate cancer further tests must be commited.
Hyouin-san remains in the same room under care.

note said:
Date: 20th June
Upon further analysis of the Needle Biopsy we discovered it is positive for cancer. Need more tissue samples to come with a complete diagnosis.
His symptons from the PSA and Bone scan point at metastatic carcinoma. Which would mean his tumor is already a Stage D2 (TNM IV)

Current situation.
  • We have decided to Begin treatment of his CHF and pulmonary edema.
  • Decided to execute a renal replacement therapy i.e. peritoneal or hemodialysis.
  • We will need to Decompress his kidneys and hope some renal function can be salvaged. This will likely involve cytoscopy of his bladder
  • and possibly some degree of resection of his prostate (TUR), with the installation of ureteral stents.
  • A reasonable amount of tissue from his prostate would allow us to develop a Gleason's grade and score for his tumor.
  • Medical treatment of his tumor and metastases by means of a medical orchiectomy.

END OF REPORT

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kahako continued writing in her notebook everything Bii-Ryu-sensei said. It was a lot of information to take in, but she was slowly getting the hand of his teaching style. As she did a quick outline of what a presentation looked like to her, she smiled a little. She always loved learning something new. As Bii-Ryu-sensei assigned both her and Keiji a presentation, Kahako opened her textbook to the correct problem and began working on it. As she read the problem, she flipped her notebook to a clean sheet. ‘Thank Raiden for perforated pages.’ She thought before getting into her assignment.

She was about three fourths of the way complete before Keiji finished. She looked up, astounded by his speed, and tried not to let it bother her. Instead she focused on finishing up what was given to her and turning it in. It took another 10 minutes to complete everything and make a copy for her notes. She usually didn’t copy her assignments into her book, but who knows. What if she didn’t get the assignment back or she needed to vocally state everything she did? This way, Bii-Ryu would have a copy and so would she. She tore the completed, and better looking assignment out of her notebook, ensuring to pull it off at the perforated edge. Standing, she walked to the front of the room and placed her paper on top of Keiji’s. She glanced at the boy in question to see what he was doing, only to catch him smiling while he was reading. Was it because he finished first? ‘Who knows,’ she thought as she moved back to her seat, going over her notes once again.

Presentation said:
Chief Complaint said:
Tanaka-san is a 62-year-old male who has been dealing with lethargy.
History of Present Illness said:
Tanaka-san states that he has had the feeling of lethargy for about three months. Additionally, he tires easily but does not experience a shortness of breath or chest pain.
Review of Systems said:
Tanaka-san has lost 15lbs without change in diet, and has had darker stool than usual. Additionally, he states that he a paler than normal.
Past Medical History said:
Tanaka-san has had a history of mild hypertension controlled by sodium restriction. Aside from that, he has been perfectly healthy and is a non-smoker.
Social and Family History said:
Tanaka-san's mother passed of a stroke, but his grandfather died of a bowel obstruction. However, the disease that caused the bowel obstruction is unknown.
Physical Exam said:
Tanaka-san's vital signs are as follows:
o T = 98.8
o P = 94 and regular
o BP = 132/74 mmHg
o R = 16 and regular

He has pale mucous membranes, and his chest is clear to auscultation. Tanaka-san has no abdominal masses, and bowel sounds are WNL. Mildly enlarged prostate to palpation and liver. However, liver was non-tender. Positive occult blood on stool remaining on the cloves, but no rectal tumors to digital exam.
Lab studies results said:
[spoilername="CBC results"]</U>
Blood count​
<i>
</i>
WBC (thousands/uL)
6.7​
(3.5-11.5)​
Neut
55%​
(44-88)​
Lymph
30%​
(12-43)​
Mono
12%​
(2-11)​
Eos
3%​
(0-5)​
RBC (million/uL)
3.08​
(4.0-5.7)​
Hgb (g/dL)
8.6​
(12.5-16.5)​
HCT (%)
26.4​
(42-51)​
MCV (fL)
65​
(
80-100)​
MCH (pg)
22.4​
(27-35)​
Platelets (thousands/uL)
345​
(130-440)​
[/spoilername]
[spoilername="Chem Profile"]Glucose (mg/dL)
102​
(65-110)​
BUN (mg/dL)
22​
(7-24)​
Creatinine (mg/dL)
1.1​
(0.6-1.3 mg/dL)​
Cholesterol (mg/dL)
183​
(<200 mg/dL)​
Calcium (mg/dL)
9.0​
(8.5-10.5 mg/dL)​
Protein (g/dL)
6.2​
(6-8 g/dL))​
Albumin (g/dL)
3.7​
(3.6-5.0 g/dL)​
LDH (U/L)
304​
(100-250 U/L)​
Alk Phos (U/L)
115​
(30-120 U/L)​
AST (U/L)
43​
(5-55 U/L)​
GGTP (U/L)
46​
(5-50 U/L)​
Bilirubin (total in mg/dL)
1.1​
(.02-1.5 mg/dL)​
Bilirubin (direct in mg/dL)
0.1​
(.02-0.18 mg/dL)​
Uric acid (mg/dL)
7.4​
(3-8.5 mg/dL)​
[/spoilername]
[spoilername="Test of Occult Blood"]First test: Result: positive Ref: (neg)
<U>Second test: Result: positive Ref: (neg)
[/spoilername]
[spoilername="Test for Serum Iron"]Test
Value
Ref
<i>
</i>
Serum iron
25​
35-170 ug/dL​
Total iron binding capacity (TIBC)
420​
13-450 ug/dL​
Percent saturation
6​
33%​
Serum ferritin
12​
20-300 ng/ml​
[/spoilername]
[spoilername="Reticulocyte Count"]Tanaka-san: .2% Reference 0.5%-1.5%[/spoilername]
Assessment and Plan said:
Tanaka-san’s is a 62 year old, male who has had 3 months of legarthy. His His CBC indicates a microcytic anemia. However, his CEA values suggest that he might also have carcinoma of the colon. Colonoscopy is suggested to see if there is a possible tumor. Should a tumor exist, a colectomy is highly suggested.

Physical exam also indicated an enlarged liver. Since no visible metastases were seen at time of surgery, time and consistent observation is needed to see if there could be a metastatic disease within the liver. If a nodule develops, abdominal CT and needle aspiration are needed.

As stated before lab results also indicate a microcytic, hypochromic anemia. I plan to prescribe 325 mg of ferrous sulfate three times a day between meals for 6 months after both the colonoscopy and possible surgery. I will also suggest Tanaka-san to take a vitamin C supplement with the medicine to help facilitate absorption.

END OF REPORT
[/quote]

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Nara-NPC_zpsb0a5a210.jpg

cloud_medninchief.gif
He read quickly over the reports, making an occasional correction here and there, but otherwise nodding in agreement.

“Alright, good job both of you. Suzaku, I liked that you had a wide-open differential diagnosis. There’s a saying in Internal Medicine: ‘he who diagnoses first knows the least.’ Often times, we as human beings tend to pick up on clues presented early on to us in the history and physical and subconsciously decide on one particular answer to the exclusion of other possibilities. It is easy to say for this case that ‘oh, the patient has simple coronary artery disease and needs percutaneous coronary angioplasty’ and ignore the other potential causes of his overall symptomatology, such as his NSAID-induced renal failure causing anemia. This bias is called the ‘Heuristic of Early Closure’ and can easily blind you to the myriad of other possibilities in terms of etiology of a disease state.

"A note that might benefit you in the future, young man: most of the available blood for transfusion in this village does not actually come from Sennin Isaki, it comes from volunteer donors. I highly advise against going to his office with a syringe and needle every time you need a unit of packed cells. He will be irritable, to say the least.

"Moving on, Higa. What I liked about your presentation was that you were concrete and decisive in your assessment and plan of the patient. For every item on the differential, you had a feasible and reasonable plan of action that could be executed within the time and resource constraints of the hospital setting. Something that people don’t realize about the health care system of this village and of this country is that part of our job as physicians is to balance the need for patient care and diagnosis with the need to utilize resources in an efficient manner in order to preserve overall public health. No one is served when every patient undergoes millions of yen in testing for all possible diseases. When you test and treat, you must do so with a plan in mind, looking for a specific answer or a specific outcome. You gain that guidance by doing a careful job taking a history and physical.

“And I think with that, we will conclude this session of rounds and let you all get back to work or leisure or both. In parting, I’d like to thank everyone for attending, and encourage the new mednin trainees to experience a variety of things we offer, from battlefield medicine to laboratory-based research. You never know what you will want to really do as a career unless you try it.

"I will be available after the lecture for questions, but don’t feel compelled to stay around. After all, I don’t write your evaluations.”

[Congrats! Class is dismissed. Just post your exits and you can be free! Unfortunately, since you are not academy students anymore, you don't get a yen reward. However, this will of course count ICly toward any requirements Kushin may have for moving on to mednin-level.]

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
And just like that, class was done. Kahako was both surprised and relieved that class had finished so quickly. ‘If only all classes were like that: quick and almost painless.’ she thought as she gathered her books and began packing up. Standing, she took one last long swig of her tea to finish it off and walked to the front of the room to Bii-Ryu.

“Excuse me, sensei. Is there any way I could acquire a copy of that body diagram you showed earlier?” She smiled meekly. “I tend to be better at visual learning instead of just reading from my notes.”

[OOC: I tend to exit after this post. I just wanted to make good on my word for asking for that chart. Also, give you two an opening if you wanted any last minute conversations. xD]

Keiji

The Unfortunate Overlord
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
*slam* The book in his hands closed, and witch a quick few motions he packed his shoulder bag with all his school necessities. He held the book in his hand as he stood up, and tucked his shoulder bag around his shoulder. 'Better early than late..' It was a little odd for the class to have so little assignment work, but he didn't complain, it would merely mean more time for his reading. 'He does have a point about career choices.. I haven't thought of anything involving that at all.. I should probably do something that lets me use my abilities to the best!'<i></i> He clenched his free fist quickly to get a feel of his strength.

He walked quietly past the front table where Kahako had walked to and where Ryu-sensei was standing, as he past them he waved with his hand as he smiled "Great class sensei! And.." He changed his voice to sound more childish, and playful and said "Ka-ha-ko~" He paused slightly to make sure he got her quick attention. "See you around!~" As he finished speaking he resumed his walk to the door, stood by the entrance, opened his little red book again, and then returned to reading as he walked out with his head in the book.

[TOPIC LEFT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back