Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Last Dance in the Wolkenbund

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
With Narashi Jo, nothing's ever left to chance. It's how he's survived and even prospered while walking a bloody trail strewn with the bodies of enemies, friends, and innocent bystanders. We all walk the same route in His Majesty the Shogun's secret service, but most of us end up joining the other corpses before even reaching the second decade of our lives. Jo, however, has always been one step ahead. He's always known where to find the backdoors, hidden meanings, and fleshy weak spots that bridge the void between life and death, and has always exploited them to his benefit. But always being prepared means never letting down one's guard, and never letting anyone get close. I'm one of the few people--perhaps the only one out there--who's ever made him truly open up, and when I did so we both ended up regretting it. Still, the fact is that I loved him once, and I probably always will.

In the deep ancient vaults of the library of Kumogakure, where the stones sweat and the ceilings weep, there lies a space where one might go to be completely undisturbed for a while. In fact, it's said that one could easily disappear in this space never to emerge into the light of day again. Jo's summoned me to this space through his usual brand of cryptography and directness, and it fills me with nothing less than a deep sense of foreboding. I feel that I might lose something important, although I can't say what. I've lost a lot to him already, but I did so gladly. How many parts of myself will I cede today?

He's not here yet, or perhaps he is. It's hard to tell. He's always been better than me at stealthing around, and if he doesn't wish to make his presence known then I'm shit out of luck. If he wishes to kill me, then I'll never see it coming. That's fine. For the first time in a long while, I've worn my engagement ring.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The stone shelves that line the Ancient Vault of Kumogakure’s library, once stacked floor-to-ceiling with ancient tomes and scrolls, now stand bare. With the dampness that seeped into the ground with every spring thaw infecting the basement of the Bibliotheca, the librarians had taken the effort to remove all of the books and rolls of parchment in an attempt to preserve them. Now, the shelves stood like gravestones, marking field of nothingness where so much knowledge once was. The only thing left on the shelves were the small, brass placards riveted to the sides facing the aisles. The small metal plates, discolored with rust and mold, were engraved with ancient numerals. The books that used to line these shelves were organized using the dewy decimal system, and the rows upon rows of shelves were still marked for that purpose. Saeko would find these shelves bare, save for one. The napkin Jo had dropped into Saeko’s lap as he sabotaged her “date” had been marked with a dewy decimal numeral, and she was headed to a shelf on the far corner of the massive library sub-basement.

Now, let me explain why the word “date” is in quotes. Seako had been out to dinner with a male who had “romantic” feelings towards her, and she may-or-may not have had “romantic” feelings for him. However, to understand this explanation, I must further define the word “romantic” as well. I will start with the male. By “romantic”, I mean he wanted to stuff her like a Thanksgiving turkey… What? Not picking up what I’m putting down? Ok; he wanted to give her the hot beef injection… Really? Nothing? Perhaps you’re too young and innocent to understand yet. Lucky… Now, as far as “romantic” feelings went for Saeko, she was finding herself on the losing side of a cocktail of hormones brought on by a combination of loneliness, mental illness, and the availability of a good looking suitor.

When she reached the shelf, she would find it was just as empty as all the others. As she would turn to walk away in a bout of righteous anger, she would notice out of the corner of her eye a small corner of parchment sticking out from behind the plate that labeled the shelf. With little effort, she could pry it loose and read the message inside.
Several days prior to Saeko’s arrival, before she had even gone to that restaurant with that scumbag, Jo had walked into the Bibliotheca intent on doing some research. Not interested in being bored to death by reading stacks of tomes filled with seemingly useless factoids, By-Tor had decided to take a little nap. This was good news for Jo. When the demon was asleep, it was easier for Jo to shroud his mind so that the demon couldn’t see his thoughts. If It knew what he was planning, their deal would be off, and the beast would continue with its attempts to take control of its host. With his mind well shrouded and the Beast inside in a deep slumber, Jo made his way down to the deepest recesses of the Bibliotheca. On his way down, he obtained a quill, ink, and parchment from one of the library’s scribes. Finding one of the old hardwood tables that filled the open spaces of the sub-basement, Jo sat and composed his last soliloquy:

My dearest Saeko,

There will never be enough words to fully convey the true remorse I have for the despicable atrocities By-Tor did to you. I cannot imagine a fate so horrific that it could ever possibly recompense me for the deeds that I allowed to transpire. The only thing that could possibly match my shame is my cowardice.

When I last laid eyes on you that day in the Torre, I felt a tumultuous maelstrom of conflicting emotions. My heart was so filled to bursting with love that I feared it would burst forth in and unman me there before the Gods and the Raikage. What’s more, I didn’t care who witnessed the baring of my heart. What stayed me from acting on the desires of my heart was not a fear for my reputation, but an apprehension for how you would receive me. Should you shy away from me, it would break my heart; though it would not surprise me.

Your embrace had me at a loss for words. Who was I to deserve such compassion? Who was I, a mere mortal, to be loved so by a Goddess? Your harsh words and the sting of your palm were so much less than I deserved; but it wasn’t your reproach that restrained me from pursuing you that day. It wasn’t my duty to God and Village that kept me in that office.

In order to stay the Demons endeavors at gaining dominion over his host, I was obliged to strike an accord with that most ungodly of beings. In exchange for his subservience, I had to sacrifice the only thing I cared more about that my own life; you. In exchange for my freedom, I agreed to abstain from continuing my relationship with you.

In the beginning, I though it a novel idea. I could think of no better way of protecting you from the monster within me, and I was willing to do anything to keep you safe. Now, after some consideration, I have come to the only logical conclusion; it is not enough. What is to keep a demon from going back on his word? Not any sort of morality or sense of honor, surely! The undeniable truth of the matter is, there is no way to be certain that the enemy within will hold himself to his word; and the risk of losing control and hurting countless people far outweighs the reward of my own freedom, or indeed, my life.

However, more than my fear I have for the people of this village, I cannot bare spending the rest of my life without you. I love you with everything that I am, and I cannot survive another day without being wrapped in your embrace, or feeling your kiss upon my lips. In all my life, you were the only one who saw the darkness inside of me, and loved me regardless. The thought of spending the rest of my life without you is more than I could possibly endure.

There is only one viable solution for the circumstances in which I find myself; I must not be allowed to continue living. It is the only way to assure By-Tor’s transition to a plane of existence where he cannot harm the ones I love. If I must die, that my village may live, I will bear that cross with honor. I would be lying, however, if I presented the illusion that I had nothing to gain from ending my existence. With all of this in mind, I am contacting you utilizing all of the mental fortitude I can muster to shroud my intentions. I can think of no better person to end my life.

Love of my life, I would not ask this of you if I could trust anyone else to carry out my death. If there is one person who I would willingly give my life to, it is you. This may be a difficult burden for you to bear; or perhaps I have lost you forever, and nothing would bring you greater joy than my demise. Either way, I can only hope you know how much I love you; so much so that I will willingly lay down my life for your safety.

Every night, I make a pilgrimage to your father’s grave to pray for forgiveness, and reminisce on the love we shared. Thoughts of you and lamentation, along with a certain measure of mental finesse, are my shield against the beast within me, and will allow an opportunity to do what needs to be done. If you do not facilitate my demise by the next full moon, I will attempt to end my own life.

My heart is forever yours,

Narashi Jo

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
He doesn't get to do this to me. He doesn't have the right. I'm not the one who infected him with his demon. I'm not the one who brought it out. I'm not the one who must end his life!

With white hot anger rushing through my arteries and veins I tear and crumple Jo's missive up and squeeze the remains as if I'm trying to turn coal to diamond. It's not fair. I'm abnormal, you see. I don't have the capacity for love. My brain is simply made to only think about number one (that's me) and my goals and desires and survival are the entirety of the universe. People are there to be used for my benefit, and when the fabric of existence is your servant you can't fall for a mere peon. And yet Jo had the gall to break my conception of the world and make me fall so helplessly for him that for a few blinking moments in eldritch time I was human again.

Jo's going to take that away from me, the selfish bastard, and I have no choice but to agree. If I don't end him he will, and he knows that the latter option is something I cannot ignore. What sort of devoted wife doesn't terminate her husband when called to do so? I won't be a tramp who looks the other way when called to this most important action. God damn you, husband of mine. When I come down to hell the first thing I'll do is search you out and beat you blue. Especially because you think you've lost me forever. Idiot. You think you can shake me off so easily?
I have until the next full moon, he says. Unfortunately that's coming up sooner than expected.

A few days later, I hide among the crumbling slabs and fallen cherubs of the village's grove of heroes. I've done everything I can think of to prepare, and it's probably not enough. I've drunk enough foul-smelling brew to make me invisible and soundless for a solid fortnight and I've memorized Jo's routine to the second. Under my cloak I've got a Tenouzan rifle. Their church still bans the use of their people's greatest invention, but then again, father always broke that rule when he was alive. It's loaded with a magazine of explosive quicksilver bullets fused with my blood. The quicksilver is for By-Tor, if you haven't guessed. I've got enough firepower to kill the Raikage. Honestly, I'd rather kill the Kage at this point.

I calm my breath and set the rifle in the crook of an angel's arm. It decorates a monument to Aion and the creature's caught in the eternal act of weeping. Bitch, what are you crying about? I'll show you real grief in a second. Jo's back is toward me and he's knelt at father's headstone. I've got the top of the front sight centered perfectly over his heart and my finger's applying slow pressure on the trigger. I know where his heart is because I've spent so much time simply resting my ear on his back, between those broad, powerful shoulders of his, listening to the beat. Those were our innocent days. Those were our hopeful days.

With a surprisingly soft crack, the rifle goes off and I think I see Jo drop. I immediately dash out from my hide and rush over to him. I need to check if he's dead. I need to be able to kill By-Tor if he tries to escape to another vessel. Mostly I don't want Jo to be alone.
Are you up there, Creator? Are you looking down at us with benevolence on your inhuman face? Do you have a heart that I can aim at? Do you have a neck by which to strangle you?

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The moonlight bathes the Grove of Heroes in greyscale, casting long shadows across the outcroppings of marble and limestone. The wind tore through the tree tops, pushing the small fleeting clouds out of the dome of the midnight sky. Jo knelt before the headstone of Takaki Masao; leader, mentor, and friend. His mind was full of the lamentation of his demise, and the loss of his daughter. To By-Tor, it was just another evening of Jo feeling sorry for himself. He had spent nearly an entire month coming up here every night to “pray”. Little did the demon know that Jo’s lamentations were shrouding his true intent, to give Saeko the opportunity to neutralize one of the largest threats to the safety of the people of Kumogakure.

The sound wave of the retort from Saeko’s rifle hadn’t even reached Jo’s ears yet when the hairs stood up on the back of Jo’s neck. Perhaps it was the slight change in air pressure, or perhaps it was just his heightened combat awareness; either way, By-Tor threw the entire weight of his will into Jo’s muscles to try and throw him out of the way of the projectile. When Jo resisted, By-Tor knew. The memories of the past few days surfaced unbidden to Jo’s mind; the letter, the plot to destroy himself to stop his tormentor, all of it. By-Tor’s roar of comprehension burst forth from Jo’s mouth just as the bullet struck home.

The agony! It was like his insides were exploding, and they were! All of his strength was gone, and even the demons power wasn’t capable of undoing the self-inflicted treachery that had befallen his host. Jo didn’t remember falling to the ground, he just remembered the grass never felt so soft. He thought he could hear footsteps coming nearer, or perhaps he felt them reverberate through the ground. With all the effort left in his body, he rolled onto his back. At first all he could see was the dome of the night sky, until Saeko arrived. She never looked so beautiful, though her eyes radiated a blend of sorrow and hate.

He opened his mouth and tried to speak, but only a fountain of blood surged forth. After two more attempts, Jo was able to gurgle out the words ”I… love… you…” before darkness enveloped him once and for all.
Somewhere…
Everything was nothing… darkness made up the void… there was no Jo… he wasn’t even a presence… there was only the void…

Then there was light… a pinprick in the distance… It grew closer… and Jo existed once more… he simply was… The light was beautiful… an undulating iridescent mass… he reached out… he touched it…

Sunlight danced through the leaves as a soft wind stirred the sighing trees. Jo was in a clearing; how and where, he could not tell. The trees surrounded him, their limbs arching high overhead creating a cathedral in the forest. He turned, and behind him was the same light from the void, though this time it was set in an arched stone doorway. The gate stood centered in what appeared to be the remnants of a wall, a ruin of a lost time. Curiosity made him wish to know what was beyond that wall; probably more forest?

Bookcases lined the wall to the left and right of the gate, each one filled with dusty old tomes and scrolls. The titles on their spines were written in dozens of strange languages Jo had never seen before. He wanted so much to simply reach out and pull one off the self and begin reading; but if he did, he knew he’d never be able to stop, not until the end of time. He turned back around and was faced with a peculiar sight.

The clearing was only a few yards wide, and it ended in a babbling brook, its waters beginning at the corner of one edge of the wall and wrapping around to the other, creating an oval of grass. Across the brook, the forest continued into eternity. A path of stepping stones reached across the brook, leading to a small, well-worn path that wove through the trees. A part of him wanted to walk down that path, to explore what lay beyond; but looking into the forest made him dizzy, as if its depths were unfathomable. If he took so much as one step in there, he’d be forever lost.

Jo had been here once before… that was before the darkness… before…

A tremendous growl roared through the otherwise peaceful glade. Jo foundhimself knocked flat against the grass, staring up at By-Tor in his true form: The Wolf was massive, twice the size of any normal wolf; with fur black as night and eyes that seemed to burn through ones soul.

”TRECHEROUS CHARLATAN! LYING DECEIVER! I WILL DEVOUR YOUR SOUL FOR YOUR BETRAYAL!” As those massive jaws opened wide to fulfill the demons promise, a blur of white tore the beast from atop of his previous host. Jo sucked in a hoarse breath as he struggled to his feet and witnessed the bout before him. A wolf equal in size and power to By-Tor with blindingly-white fur and icy-blue eyes was tearing into the hell hound. The two fought in a vicious fray, blood and fur flying, narrowly missing the furniture and bookshelves.

Suddenly, there was another blur, this time it was green. It shot over to the aid of the White Wolf, and cornered By-Tor against the brook that separated the glade from the forest. When the movement stopped, the form of the green blur became apparent. It was Joe, Jo’s Author. His appearance was different now. Before, he had been chubby from half a decade of studying books rather than the art of warfare. Now, he was in peak physical condition. His garb was kaki leather combat boots, and a green multicam combat uniform. His long hair had been trimmed back to a skin fade, and his beard was gone. He was every inch the soldier Jo had aspired to be.

You… YOU did this! You wrote this betrayal into existence. Wh?”<i></i> He turned his burning glare to his icy counterpart. ”You even called him into this!”

”You have gone to far this time, By-Tor… You were sent to help him, not destroy him. The White Wolf spoke, his voice was as hard as a glacier, and chilling as the winter snows.

”Snow Dog is right. You have overstepped your bounds for the last time, By-Tor. Get thee back to Hades, where you belong. You are no longer welcome on this plane of existence. Joe said, his eyes and voice stern. Defeated, By-Tor turned and began walking across the stepping stones. When he reached the other side, he turned and glared one final time at Jo before bounding into the never-ending forest.

A sigh of relief came from both the Author and Snow Dog. They had been lucky By-Tor had not dragged out the brief scuffle into an all-out battle. The Author turned to his creation and approached him. A small, sad smile on his face. ”I’m so sorry, son. There was no other choice.”

”I know… but I thought it was my choice…”

”It was. You were the one who came up with how we were able to stop By-Tor. Your sacrifice will be remembered by few, but those who will remember you will do so fondly.”

”Saeko…” Jo’s mind went to the one person he cared for most. He hadn’t said all he had wanted, and he never could now.

”Well, let us see if there’s something we can do about that…” Joe then placed both hands on either side of Jo’s head and looked deep into his creations eyes. ”Speak…”

With a lurch, Jo sucked air into his destroyed lungs. He had somehow been transported back into his own body, and he was consumed by pain. He knew he didn’t have long, and he could see Saeko’s beautiful face over him.

”I love you not for the way you danced with my angels, but for the way the sound of your name could silence my demons. So bright burned the flames in our hearts that we found each other even in our darkest hours. I love you, and I would chose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I would find you and I would chose you.” Then, one last time… ”I love you.” Then everything faded back into nothingness.
Joe released his creation from his grasp as a single tear rolled down Jo’s cheek. ”Will she be alright?”

”I don’t know, her story is written by another; what do you think?”

”I have faith in her. I have faith in all of them.” His mind flashed to all his friends and comrades back in Kumogakure he was leaving behind. The young man then turned and gazed into the swirling abyss that was the archway behind him. ”So… I just walk through there?”

”Yes. All of my other creations are waiting eagerly for you. There is nothing to fear.”

That smile, Jo’s small smile, nothing but the gentle upturning of the left corner of his mouth, graced his face one last time. ”I am not afraid.” With that, he stepped through the light into the world beyond.

Joe smiled as he watched his doppelganger walk through the void. ”You did well with that one.” Snow Dog said, striding gracefully to Joe’s side.

”Thank you, but he did well enough on his own.”

”So, who will you chose next?”

”I don’t know. I won’t be rejoining this plane of existence for quite some time. I cannot fight their wars, I have my own to fight.” Snow Dog nodded at this statement. The world where the Authors were from was tossing in the tumultuous waves of war, and this Author in particular had volunteered to become a Soldier to protect his home. Any of his creations would be proud.

”Would you mind keeping watch over this portal while I’m gone? When I return… If I return,” he corrected himself. He couldn’t know whether or not he’d survive the next few years. ”I will relieve you of your post and bring another creation into being. Until then, wish me well.” He then stepped into the shimmering void.

”Of course, friend. Nothing will escape my watch.” Snow Dog sat before the portal, his blue eyes turned to the endless forest, ever vigilant until his friends return.

[OOC: Please treat this topic as Narashi Jo’s Suicide Thread. Even though Saeko pulled the trigger, it was Jo’s choice to die. I apologize, but I will not be writing for a while. I simply do not have the time I thought I would have to devote to the site. You deserve RPers who are dedicated to the community, and I cannot fulfill that role. When I have the ability to join you once again, I will. Until then, I wish you well.]

{TLUS}

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Jo tries to speak. The bullet's done its job and shattered his airway along with his heart, so there's naught but blood and air. It's unfair. A heart shot is supposed to mean instant death, not painful lingering. I can do nothing but caress his face while his blood seeps between my fingers, warmed by his core and yet growing cooler with every waning pulsation. There are no words I can say to him. How do I ask forgiveness for murder? How can I tell him I'm sorry? How can I take this all back?

Somehow, he manages to form words again. I know not why, but at this point nothing surprises me anymore. I can only listen, clench my jaw, and force myself not to beg him to leave. I'm already on my knees. He's made his decision, and Jo has always been stubborn. I can only let him say his peace, and hope that he actually finds it.

His eyes finally close and I lean my head over and touch my forehead to his. It's damp with sweat and smells of lilacs. His life is all over my knees. It seeps under the thick canvas of my trousers and pools around us and gets into my shoes. Eventually, it will coagulate and harden, sticking us together as a fragile glue that will break the moment I even breathe. If I hold my breath forever, can I join him?

No, Jo wouldn't abide that. I need to exhale, and I need to survive. I need to do these things so that one day I can meet him again, in this life or the next. I crack my lips open and start to murmur the strains of a lullaby I would sometimes sing to him to rock him to sleep. Though he may turn to shimmering dust in my arms, I will always carry his weight, and I will never shrug it off. Not until the day we see each other again.

The city we called home, now ruins. I've waited all this time for you, my dear. In my hands, a forget-me-not. Light my fire, and burn my tears. Let my body finally fade away. My story will live on in the Earth, and, I will wrap myself inside of its roots. When the seasons change I'll awaken. For all winter I'll have been waiting. The forget-me-not flower has bloomed again, right here. I remember. Do you remember me? Can you recall the day you met me? Say once more that you love me...

[TL]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back