Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

New kid on the block

Maikeru

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Well, at least one thing never changed from one shinobi village to the next. No matter where you went there was always going to be a hospital, just like there was always going to be someone who sold weapons. After all, shinobi always got hurt and they always had to have somewhere to go to make them better again. A damage weapon isn't much good, now is it?

The Aesculapium was much harder for Maikeru to find then he had originally anticipated, making him much later for the meeting then he planned. He was panting slightly as he jogged through the front doors of the medical ward, his new cloud headband bouncing around his neck. He approached the main desk of the hospital, smiling slightly at the kunoichi who was currently working there.

"Hi. I'm.. uhm.. Uchiha Maikeru," Maikeru said aloud, unsure if he should use his new Alias yet or not. What name had the Raikage said would be coming to see him? "I'm here to meet with one of the people who run this hospital. Though, I'm unsure if I was suppose to meet the sennin or one of the Chief Med Nin. The Raikage was very unclear on that one.."

The young woman behind the desk gave him a confused look, having never seen this strange black haired boy before. Who exactly came in here saying the were sent by the Hokage? Even if Maikeru did wear a cloud headband, she was sure that she would have seen him before. He appeared to be around her age, shouldn't they have gone to the academy together?

"Right.." She finally said, pulling out a list of the appointments for today. "You're not on the list.. I'll send a message and see if they know something I don't. Wait here, if someone is expecting you they'll meet you here."

Maikeru gave a small nod, before pushing back from the counter lightly. He spun on his heels and began to walk towards the waiting area, taking a seat on the comfiest looking chair. He had found another thing that prevailed throughout shinobi villages as well it seemed, waiting.

Osuteno

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Osu :
image1.jpg

The person behind the front desk was actually a nurse rather than a Kunoichi, though like many nurses in the hospital this wasn’t really by choice. There were a few dozen people every year who, for various reasons despite being chakra sensitive, were deemed unable to become shinobi at all and failed out of the academy. Still there were various opportunities left for these individuals, the most commonly chosen being the Aesculapium’s Nursing Program. They offered free education in exchange for a minimum of ten years of working for the hospital, good pay and benefits, and a stable career that also allowed them to keep a civilian status.

As there were also a few true civilians (non chakra sensitives) among the nurses in the Medical Branch, at the initiation of this program it was decided that they shouldn’t really hold these nurses to military standards. This may or may not have been a mistake. The life of a civilian in Kumogakure was an odd one in this broad world. Except for a few individuals like merchants or normal people who did a bit of work on behalf of the village, no one was really allowed to leave the village, there also wasn’t anywhere to go for hundreds of kilometers anyway. This is part of why the train route between Nikko Station at the bottom of the Kumogakuran Mountains and Kabedon City was so important, it didn’t only bring necessities, it brought an import culture. Clothing styles from near and far, the freshest of entertainment and technology, luxury food and items, all these things and more were peddled to the hundred thousand civilians living in Kumogakure with a bit of subsidy to cover some of the costs to make them more affordable to the upper lower and middle classes in particular. The standard of life was fairly comfortable overall for civilians as they were allowed as much freedom as reasonable to distract them from the fact they would likely never leave the walls of the village. If one wanted work, it would be found for them, even if it was tough dreary work in the mines, and it would cover one's expenses and fed their families so long as they spent sensibly. And with such a big city and the low standards of life for peasants in the world below their mountain, most were content with this caged lifestyle.

What this has to do with the current situation is a bit of a headache for the administration of the hospital. While she was sitting and her super short skirt could not be seen, the nurse’s top was bordering on a bit too revealing, and she was far from the worst offender of the hospital’s nursing staff. No, that title probably belonged to the current president of the Nurse’s Union, who was currently strutting down the hall proudly in his sleeveless scrub top and a banana hammock… at least normally the thing was on display but currently he was wearing an apron to the relief or disappointment of various individuals.

Yes this guy wearing a banana hammock in a hospital was not only a nurse, but the leader of their union. The culture of giving great freedom to civilians and then taking young people out of a strict military setting led to the nursing staff of the hospital dressing like strippers. And every time the hospital tried to bring up a dress code the nurses, orderlies, janitors and the rest of the civilian staff would threaten to strike. It was much easier to give freedom than to take it away.

“Ah the Sennin is almost always out handling field operations, so the Raikage was probably referring to the Sesshou, Osu-Sensei. The Sennin left all hospital business for them to handle. I just got done speaking with Osu-Sensei in their office, so they are probably still there,”

“That apron… how did your discussion with Osu Sensei go?” The female nurse asked.

“I lost a bet so I have to wear this apron any time I don’t have ‘actual pants’ on the next three weeks. Don’t worry he hasn’t tried to change any rules, though I do get want he means about safety. We will discuss it more at the next union meeting.”

“What she means about safety,” the nurse behind the desk insisted.

“I honestly think it is a bit of a medical mystery,” a passing doctor commented.

“Doesn’t matter which one Osu-Sensei is, that moe is the only truth that matters,” a MiT said unabashedly while delivering a few files to the desk and wandering off.

“Everyone Osu refers to herself… *ahem* himself as a man and I think we should all be supportive of her- him, supportive and respectful of *his* self identification, we have been at this discussion for 14 Years now, from when that set of adorable bunny scrubs first entered this hospital and all these years of watching them grow up, Osu-Sensei is Osu-Sensei plain and simple. We even forced the poor kid to change in their own exclusive changing room because everyone was too nervous… or too excited to change with them.” He glared at both the doctor who had just passed by, who coughed with a bit of a blush and picked up their pace, and at the nurse behind the counter who lifted a magazine to hide her face as if she had no relation to that comment.

He then looked to Maikeru. “If you are here to see Osu-Sensei, you are more likely to be in the schedule of their office secretary than the front desk’s.
I haven’t had my cardio for the day yet, so if you don’t mind helping me out with that, I’ll show up the way.”

With that he casually attempted to toss Maikeru over his shoulders in a fireman’s carry and jog through the hospital halls and up a few flights of stairs if Maikeru let him do so, or if not the male nurse would simply shrug, grab a nearby MiT and lead Maikeru to Osu’s office all the same with the MiT wondering how long he would be stuck on this guy’s shoulders.

“Possible appointment for Osu-Sensei Tomu,” the nurse would say as he left Maikeru in a small lobby area with a couple chairs and a desk where a secretary seemed to be fairly busy. Without really waiting around the male nurse would jog off down another hall without a word of goodbye or anything.

The secretary would simply look at Maikeru with a tired expression and buzzed the office he was guarding. “Osu-Sensei, a kid wants to see you.”

“Is it time for my office hours already? I am just about done examining this machine that someone insisted will work this time so tell them to sit tight for a couple more minutes, please.” A feminine voice came from the device on the secretary’s desk.

About a minute later the voice came over the intercom again, “Oh wait, is this the young man who… *cough* yes tell him I got a bit caught up with something troublesome and it slipped my mind he was coming. I will be ready for him in just a moment.”

About twelve seconds later there was a loud boom and what appeared to be a sheet of paper had somehow shot through the door and embedded rigidly in the wall not too far from where Maikeru was before going limp as paper should and slipped out of the new cut in the wall before drifting gently to the floor. There appeared to be blood on it in a streak about as thick as a person’s neck. The secretary seemed rather shocked before her shaky hand pressed a button. “...Osuteno-Sensei?”

There was no answer for a few moments before a person whose head wasn’t on their shoulders, but rather being carried in their arms step out from the room, the held being held at a height to examine the cut in the door then the one in the wall before looking down and the sheet of paper. Putting the matter of their head not being on their shoulders aside, eerily flawless skin, a kimono that seemed to be a part of them as they moved about, a very pretty face, and overall attractive figure, everything down to the way they walked and held themselves suggested they were a princess of a more traditional sort.

“Tell Ajibana-San his ‘high speed printer’ is a failure, he has lost lab privileges, and he is on bedpan and sponge bath duty until further notice. Also have someone come clean up the mess in my office.”

The person who stepped out of the office found a reflective surface and carefully placed their head back on their neck and appeared to be making sure it was lined up correctly before letting go and it stayed in place as they did some neck stretches. They looked at some blood on their clothing, sighing, before gesturing with their hands and seemingly pulled the blood straight out without stains and tossed the resulting bead in the garbage nearby.

Then they turned their attention towards Maikeru, with a warm smile and no sign of the very annoyed expression from moments ago. “Hello there young man, I would normally speak to you in my office but let’s go to one of the meeting rooms down the hall for a change of pace.”

Not really giving Maikeru much of a chance to comment, Osuteno simply began walking with a slight wave for Maikeru to follow.

They entered a room with a table meant for about a dozen people and sat at the head of it and gesture for Maikeru to sit next to him. “Now I don’t have a full understanding of your situation, but let’s just start with you telling me what your official story is as well as the limitations of your situation, along with any details you believe would be important for me to know. Do be thorough, I will be confirming what you share later and it will also make it easier for me to identify some accommodations and provide assistance in your training and education.”

Maikeru

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Well, this was certainly an unexpected turn. Not only was the hospital filled with.. interestingly dressed characters, but they also seemed to get more and more interesting as time went on. There was an internal sigh as Maikeru realized that he had given up being a Medical Sennin for this, well, as much time as he had to linger on that thought at least. The man in the thong had been much faster than he expected, and Maikeru didn't want to be rude. Maybe this was how things were just done in cloud?

Regardless, he soon found himself being carried over the muscular man's shoulders. There were times when he missed Reicheru, where he wanted to spend more time with her, but this was not one of those times. Doing his best not to look down and get an eyeful of man ass, this was the first of many times Maikeru would find himself staring up at the ceiling tiles, desperately trying to count the amount it took to get from the lobby to the Chief Med Nins office.

"No no.." Maikeru muttered to no one in particular. "This is fine. Usually people buy me dinner first, but, you want to get straight to the point.."

The walk, or jog rather, was bumpy and uneventful. For how interestingly the man dressed, he didn't seem to be a conversationalist in this moment. That was fine with Maikeru though, it would only make this moment incredibly more awkward. Suddenly, he felt more like a child than a trained killing machine.

When the man put him down, the day didn't get any less weird from there, which was surprising. He found himself staring at.. well, he wasn't sure. They were headless, but, that wasn't that weird. No, the weird part was that he had absolutely zero idea if he was a man or a woman from his appearance. He was suddenly thankful that the nurses were such fans of gossip.

"Ah, you must be Osu-sensei." Maikeru said, giving a small bow, before taking a moment to straighten out his jacket from the mess that the thong man had done to it. "Uh, my story is quite a long one, but, if you've got the time so do I."

Maikeru took a seat next to the man.. woman.. man, and begin to tell his story. He was sure to be concise and slow with his speech, making sure that the man took in every word.

"Well, I was from leaf originally. Long story short, there were some.. issues that made it impossible for me to stay there without keeping back thoughts of murdering every shinobi above me. So, a deal was made with myself and the other refugees to seek asylum in your village. Before I came here I was a chief med nin in the leaf village, and was personally trained by Tsukasa Mikasa. Not sure if you know of her, but, she was the medical sennin for the leaf."

Osuteno

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Osu’s smile drifted into a firm frown as the young man in front of him so casually mentioned his wish to murder his superiors from his previous village. The name of their current Sennin did cause Osu to turn his head to the side suddenly to hide the fact he almost laughed, before returning his gaze with all seriousness towards this apparent asylum seeker.

“I will be straight with you,I don’t know of whatever the current political situation in Leaf might be at the moment, but know I will not tolerate malicious harm towards any individual of this village, particularly if you desire to work in the medical branch. That said, I have been extremely unimpressed with Leaf’s education system in the past. I trained one of your Medical Sennin a bit in the past when your Hokage Umashiashikabihikoji was still in office and he brought a group to visit us. A lovely young woman by the name of Sena who, while studious and had the makings of an excellent mednin, seemed to come into her position due to there not being anyone terribly qualified. The extent of your medical program seemed to be trying to jutsu people back to health without really understanding any of the science behind it. Another shinobi of your village didn’t even know how to read. With how quick leadership in your village seems to turnover I highly doubt you all have made much progress, and despite your rank as a Medical Chief, I harbor doubts if you qualify for a medical license. So if I sat you down for a written exam right now that required you to know the internationally accepted names for the various organs, bones, blood vessels and such, as well as their general functions and some basic mathematics, before seeing you perform a small range of common medical activities on cadavers, given a test on your proficiency in lower rank medical jutsu, and then be given a small group of living patients with some trickier ailments to identify, would you truly feel confident in passing the test we have for our MiT to become licensed Mednin?”

Maikeru

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Well, the.. man was at least partially correct. Maikeru was promoted to a position he really had no reason to be in and had been forced to learn to swim while trying not to drown, so to speak. But, he had learned. More than that he had thrived inside of his position despite how heavily the deck had been stacked against him. Mikasa hadn't made it easy on him either, something that now he was eternally grateful for. Not wanting to interrupt his superior, Maikeru let him finish before he began speaking.

"Well, you're not entirely wrong. The medical program of the leaf really did seem to be an afterthought at times, and there were people who really did not belong in it." He said simply, trying his best to keep his tone respectful at all times. "You can call it Uchiha pride if you wish, but, I was not one of those people. I thrived in the medical field because I had the motivation and a drive to be there. With all due respect, Osu-sama, I would appreciate it if you did not besmearch the name of Mikasa-san. Despite the numerous flaws of my former home, she was not one of them. She truly was a talented med nin, even if her predecessors made our medics seem incompetent."

As Maikeru spoke he leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. Mostly out of anxiety, and some urge to try and find some form of comfort sitting across from a man who would literally decide his fate.

"If you wish me to take a written test, I will do such right now if it pleases you. I have absolutely zero doubts in my ability as a medical ninja. I have flaws, but, my ability to heal is not one of them."

Osuteno

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Osu sighed and shook his head. “It isn’t just a written test, it is a full day of testing without rest or breaks, at least for the hospital division, the field division has different areas of focus and tests. As confident as you appear to be, your predecessors are still a large issue whether you choose to recognize it or not. This village has stood for a millennia and the medical branch has existed in some form or another for most of those years. At the beginning of those year we were like everyone else at the time, fumbling around with herbs and doing the best we could with the jutsu of the time. But we grew. In those first centuries we tried every method we came across in our studies and experimentations as well as the methods we discovered as we sent out expeditions into foreign lands: alchemy, folk medicine, rituals, demonology, trying out ridiculous combinations of materials and such and practicing them over and over with adjustments in our methods, drawing out every bit of truth we could find in them, and recording those and the faults for our descendants to learn from. We grew cleaner in our methods over time, at some point centuries ago falling into a proper scientific method. Still we continued to gather resources and knowledge from outside, testing them continuously to boil them down to their truths, and adjusting our understanding as we went along. Not just one or two talented people, but dozens to hundreds of talented researchers with each generation. These individuals realized fairly early on that no one person could truly grasp everything, particularly as our knowledge of medicine expanded. So they began to specialize, and these specialists would take the basics of their fields and dilute the most essential knowledge of their fields and compile those with the essentials of other fields for the next generation to learn, before drawing new specialists out of that group. Each generation learning all that the previous held and picking out the mistakes, finding new truths, and passing those on to their students. Specialties grew in knowledge over time and had to be broken down into even more specific sub specialties, who of course pulled out the necessities of their knowledge for the regular specialists to learn and digest as a group before dedicating to sub specialties themselves. This wasn’t always free to choose as the most accomplished researchers were assigned to study the fields that were most lacking or most dire at their times, while more students would be attached to broader fields to ensure the knowledge of previous generations were sufficiently challenged and recorded. We are oddly blessed in a sense to live in a country that has always been severely lacking in chakra users, as the leadership of not only the village, but the Shoguns and various Daimyo of the past saw it fit to provide us plenty of resources and funding for our research. These days direct funding from outside the village is basically gone due to the attitudes of the people and government towards chakra sensitives, but we are still the number one provider of medicine and vaccines in this and the neighboring countries of Bear and Marsh, in spite of the efforts of the Lightning Navy Academy and Research Division, so despite being the smallest branch we are very profitable, though most of that goes into village operations and the rest almost all sunk straight back into research. Our knowledge, teaching methods, research methods and such are tested continuously with each generation to the point where if a doctor from even five generations past would likely be shocked at what we have the MiT learning these days as well as likely be shamed by how their theories and research have been picked apart. But we honor them because it is the efforts of the countless generations before us that have provided us with the environment and resources we have today.

I don’t doubt your talents and efforts in Leaf, but you just admitted your medical branch is an afterthought, so I doubt it has the funding it truly needs. I doubt the accumulation and wealth of knowledge you have been able to build up in a few short years, I doubt your ability to research, test and sort through that knowledge with only a few individuals in such a short span of time, I doubt your village’s obviously non uniform education that has its students sorely lacking or left behind in places, I doubt the environment to grow where you so casually mention that treason seems a reasonable thought to you, I doubt anyone whose pride in their abilities appears to outweigh their need to know for sure they are doing what is truly best for their patients… but I don’t know with absolute certainty that you aren’t suitable so I am willing to test you,” Osu had grown increasingly stern in his speech until this last statement where his expression became rather warm and motherly with a small laugh.

“I did just explain that the essence around here is to doubt, in a logical fashion, and to attempt to disprove things that we are actually confident in. That is he path to progress after all. I’m not trying to cause you to doubt yourself or your teacher really, just for you to understand my concerns about your background and the risk it presents to our patients, as well as to make sure you aren’t in a ‘frog in the well’ sort of situation when it comes to your education. It is a wide world out there and we can’t be content with what we have in front of us, it is why we send out people across the lands still to try and find new techniques and technologies to test, no matter how… iffy they can appear to be. We actually even have a number of books rescued from your country from the civil war crisis with the samurai those years back that caused your country to regress somewhat. Rather our medical branch also hosts general researchers in most fields though everyone is required to learn some of medicine at the very beginning… as you might have seen some of them focus more on advancement than safety but that is part of my job around here. Not only as the second in command of the Medical Branch, our Sennin has allowed me to assume control of operations of the hospital division, while she focuses on the field division. These are the two major groups that all med branch members fall under and have rather different focused and specialties.

Most of what I have described so far fits the hospital division more these days, whereas instead of research focus and broader education, the field division is more combat trained and focused more on using jutsu and field medicine to assist their fellow shinobi out of immediate danger in combat situations and those times in the wilderness and behind enemy lines where more complete care is out of reach. Mostly they focus on keeping people alive until they can be brought back to the village or one of our disguised medical facilities in many major cities in Lightning… and a couple in other territories…

Anyway I am not unreasonable, I won’t force you to take an exam this moment to defend your statement or defend your teacher or such. I will definitely give you time to review and study if you are willing to take the opportunity, but if you want to take the test this moment, which leans more towards the hospital division mind, know it is a very involved process for everyone involve. I would require you to answer three essay questions right here and now verbally or on paper, whichever suits you better, to at least see if it is worth pulling people from their work, breaks, or day off to give you the tests. But if you are willing to take some time as a MiT to be taught and be given plenty of study materials, resources, classes, and such we will go out of our way to make sure you are ready for the tests and to help people as effectively as possible. Or if the field division exam seems more your pace, we can do that as well but I would need time to call for suitable proctors. Honestly one of the main advantages of being a MiT is the opportunity to explore the different roles more freely, if more restricted clearance wise, and see what best suits you.

But if your confidence in your path and knowledge are sufficient we can try them, though there will be a penalty of sorts if we go through the effort to give you the exams and you don’t pass. That isn’t just for you, it is mostly to discourage people from simply trying to take it over and over until they pass and to actually be prepared for the tests.”

Osu thought for a moment before saying, “By the way I asked for your ‘official story’ earlier, and just making sure, but are we simply going to regard you openly as a Leaf refugee or did Ayumu-Sama make different arrangements for a cover story? I will confirm with him later, but it does affect how we do the paperwork, so it would be helpful if you give me the details if you have one.”

Maikeru

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Maikeru stared at the man for a moment, his coal black eyes trying to look into the one man's, trying to get even the simplest of reads on him. It was not an easy thing, and there wasn't a whole lot he could read from the simple stare between the two shinobi. The man was intelligent and experienced, that much was obvious from the way he spoke, the mannerisms that he portrayed as he sat in that chair simultaneously chastising and questioning the young medic. Beyond that, however... there wasn't anything that Maikeru could read from this shinobi. He was an enigma, that much was certain at least.

The man continued to talk, his words slowly driving knives into the Uchiha pride that burned brightly inside of every fiber of Maikeru's being. His teeth subtly clenched against each other as he bit back the retorts and disrespect he wanted to show towards the man. He had spent enough time in leaf, and he had an intelligence of his own, there was nothing to be gained from it. He simply let the man continue to speak, continue to explain exactly what he wanted.

He wasn't making bad points, and most of what he said was true. Maikeru had been forced into a position he wasn't ready for because there was no one else to do the job that needed to be done. It was mainly the implication that he had not thought about his patients that were irking the Uchiha. But, still, nothing to be gained from correcting him. If the man was going to see Maikeru's skill and bedside manner as it were, it would have to be through his actions, not his words.

"There was no official story that Lord Raikage came up with, no. However, I have taken to going under the name of Akira. I figured a late bloomer of a shinobi would be taken more hospitable than a refugee from a foreign village. It's also tiring continuing to explain why I had left my home." Maikeru said, before letting out a small sigh. "In leaf, I lived inside a hospital, and I loved it. Helping people, caring for them, it made me feel better about all the awful things we are forced to do on the battlefield. For every life I took, at least I could save one or two. I'm sure you can relate to that too, Osu-sensei."

There was a pause in Maikeru's speech, a beat in order to gather his thoughts and think about his options. He had just spent months on the road, and sleep came hard inside of a new place. The anxiety that one day Cloud ANBU would burst down their door, take Reicheru or Danni in the middle of the night... it kept him up most nights. Taking the test today would not be the best, at least in his mind.

"I don't think I want to do that again, though." He finally said, shrugging his shoulders. "I've always been more comfortable in the thick of things, in the middle of combat. I guess it's the Uchiha blood in me. With your permission, I would like to be transferred to the combat medic division, if that is okay with you and the medical Sennin. A.. Shinrya-sama, I believe."

Osuteno

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Osu simply nodded, not saying what he thought of Maikeru’s decision one way or the other, only acknowledging it. “I don’t involve myself in the testing on the field side of the branch since their training and requirements are much different from the hospital side. I will send a notice for them to keep a lookout for your application and see if I can get a few general guides and prep checklists sent to your current address to help you ready yourself as well as the forms you need to complete.”

He pushed a form asking for basic information such as age, current residence, known health issues and family history for various illnesses, bloodline if any, blood type, etc etc towards Maikeru. “Please fill this out to the best of your knowledge and hand it to my secretary in front of my office. The important information for now is mostly your address and the more fictional details of your history. The rest can be finished when you come in for your next physical or such which I would recommend doing sooner rather than later since you have to have one every so often.”

Osu began to get up while looking at the clock. “I have a bit to get done this evening, so if there is nothing else I can assist you with, I will be on my way.”

Osu started to make his way to the door but stopped just beforehand re reaching it and turned around to look at Maikeru once more, “Also you should focus a bit on relaxing and recovering a bit before hopping back into active shinobi duty, you seem so tense I was a bit impressed you didn’t snap at my little prods. I would recommend setting up regular appointments with a psychiatrist before you leave the hospital today, as a Kumogakuran shinobi, whatever they say about your technical status, you have access to these sorts of resources and should really give them a try. It is all strictly confidential unless the Medical Sennin or Raikage requests full disclosure or they fear for the safety of you or those around you, so you don’t have to worry about any rumors of your past getting out of you do decide to share with them…”

Osu paused once more before simply saying, “Welcome to Kumogakure, I hope you find what you need here.” And he left out the door.

[tlus]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back