Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

The Hunt {Open RP}

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The winter months in Kumogakure blew cold and fierce, the snow driven like frozen arrows against grey buildings and those unfortunate souls who dared to travel the cobbled streets of the village. The snow and the wind would be tolerable if they didn’t last for half the year. Spring and autumn were brief, distant memories; and the biting cold drove all memories of summer’s warmth into the darkest recesses of a weary mind. Most chose to shelter themselves indoors during the dark winter months. The lucky ones nestled up next to their families in front of a roaring fire and sipped on hot cocoa, while the less fortunate just huddled around the stove and prayed for spring. Then there were those who were neither of the above; those who had to brave the bitter cold in order to hope to survive until spring.

So it was that young Raikou Takeo found himself out and about on such a terrible day; his body covered with layers of thin, worn-out clothing in a futile attempt to protect himself from frostbite and hypothermia. The outermost layer of clothing was a ratty, grey hoodie and a pair of sun-faded, threadbare blue jeans. His old, dirty tennis shoes were worn over multiple pairs of socks, the holes patched with duct tape. Wrapped around the lower half of his face was an old grey scarf, and the hood of his hoodie was pulled up over his head, leaving only his eyes visible. Eyes that burned with the intensity and drive of a man on a mission.

Why was the boy out in this horrible weather, you ask? Simple; he was hungry. He had recently gotten a job at the Colosseum whose pay, combined with the weekly stipend from the Academy, was barely enough to pay his uncle the amount he extorted from the boy. Luckily staples like rice and canned vegetables were cheap, but meat wasn’t. The growing lad craved protein more and more each day as he worked, trained, and studied himself ragged; and there was only one way to attain free meat in the village.

“Poaching” is such a strong word. Takeo didn’t believe it applied in this situation. Were you supposed to buy a hunting license and game tags? Sure; but there was no way he was going to be able to afford them. The game wardens were few and far between in the Ancient Forest, and the risk-to-reward ratio was fairly low. Besides, “poaching” only really applied to trophy-hunting, anyway.

When Takeo entered the forest, it was as if someone had magically turned off the wind. The trunks of the trees and the canopy of evergreens sheltered everything within their grasp from the biting gale. Small flakes of snow gently floated down from the canopy above, settling feather-like to cover the forest floor. It was eerily silent here, the trees and the snow muting all sound and causing one to question whether or not one had been struck deaf. Taking a deep breath of the crisp, pine-scented air was enough to rejuvenate the student from the long journey through the village.

From the pocket of his hoodie, Takeo produced a simple sling. It was a plain thing, fashioned with two long bits of thick twine with a leather pouch in the center. His front-left trouser pocket contained a handful of lead shot, each sphere one inch in diameter. He had created them by melting down scrap lead from his uncles junkyard, and hoped they would be enough to take down small game. From his recollection, there was a breed of snow-hare that was native to these mountains that didn’t hibernate until much later in the winter; and boar were known to traverse these woods, as well as deer. Takeo didn’t think the latter two could be felled by a sling alone, but he might be able to stun one long enough to close in and finish it off with the shiv he’d fashioned out of some scrap rebar. Loading one round-shot into the pouch, Takeo made his way deeper into the woods.

It didn’t take too long before he spotted his first prey; one of the snow-hares. It’s coat was white as the powder through which it was hopping. Had Takeo not seen the slight movements it made, he would’ve missed it. Takeo froze as the hare scratched through the top later of snow in search of some pine nuts. He began spinning the sling above his head; slowly at first, and increasing the speed steadily until it was just a blur before releasing one of the strings and sending the small metal globe flying at the rodent. The muffled sound of a quiet “pop” paired with a splash of red on the white snow let the boy know he’d hit his mark. Takeo suppressed a whoop of joy and rushed over to the fallen creature.

He had nailed it right in the neck, snapping it and killing the poor animal instantly. The blood had spewed from its mouth and nose on impact as blood vessels burst, the crimson liquid seeping into the snow. Takeo had been aiming for the head, but was glad he missed. It was said every animal has just enough brains in its head to tan their own hide. Takeo hoped that was right; he could use a good pair of mittens. The hare was fully grown, but not large enough to make a good set of mittens; and there wasn’t enough meat on it to sate the boys hunger. He would have to take at least one more to have enough to eat for tonight and enough hide for a pair of gloves.

Picking up his kill and tying it to his belt by its hind legs with a bit of string, the boy looked around to see if there were any other tracks in the freshly fallen snow he could follow. He saw a pair of tracks heading deeper into the forest and decided to pursue them. Recovering his round-shot from the ground nearby, he reloaded it into his sling. Another deep breath of pine-scented air, and his hunt would continue.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Note: My character's name is Shimatsu Shigeru, not my current username, waiting for admin to change it. Also, my character looks nothing like the picture or signature, I still have to change those.

[legend="A new participant approaches,"]Shimatsu Shigeru,
The Living Flame of Kumogakure
<i></i>[/legend]<i>
</i>

Shigeru woke from his small house in the grand city of Kumogakure. He had promised himself that he would become more active in the village again, because he was not honoring the memories of his brothers by just studying. Rising from his bed, Shigeru donned a simple garb, dark pants and a short sleeved shirt. Normally, he would then strap a backpack with study material on his back, heading off to the library again. Shigeru glanced at the bag, feelings of longing entering his system. A break from normalcy was always hard for a normal person, and Shigeru had so thoroughly buried himself into his study of Fire that he could almost not bring himself to leave it. However, Shigeru knew he was destined for so much more than that. Tousling his dark hair, today a more brown than black, Shigeru shook off these feelings of doubt. He knew that a new crusade into honoring his brothers would have to start at their favorite spot, the Forest. Shigeru grabbed his trusty blade, strapping it to his back, fully intending to do some forms, and then he packed up a small bag of food, slinging that over his shoulder, he was off.​

[col3]Out into Kumogakure proper, nature was in full force; the air was biting fiercely, and the snow was threatening to blot out the very colors that made up the world. However, as Shigeru began to plod through the cold, nature bent away from him. The new day invigorated him, and his chakra answered in turn, roaring out in a protective field of heat. As such, all of his exposed skin steamed from the temperature difference, and the snow melted every time he touched his feet down. Nowadays, the crowd around his home didn't even notice the oddity, since it happened so often. Smiling brightly, Shigeru whistled a little tune as he made his way down to where the forest began, standing, for a moment, in front of its' behemoth beauty. Shigeru drank in the sheer enormity of the place, bowing his head for a moment, thanking Raiden for securing such a place of beauty for this land. Then Shigeru entered.|Shigeru has been to the forest many times, training hard here as a child, but fire and forest do not mix easily; Shigeru tried to stay away from things that he could outright destroy if things got out of hand. However, to honor his brothers, Shigeru felt this was the only place he could start. The beginning of the forest always looked the same, as it was the most traveled, many paths being carved out by fledgling shinobi, but as Shigeru went deeper inside, the forest fights back against the humanity outside. Silence was another factor of the forest. Somedays it teemed with life, the noise pressing against the temples like the caress of a lover. Other days, like this, it was as if the forest took a day off from living and became a tomb, the noise being replaced by complete silence. Shigeru hated that feeling, so he would whistle ever the louder. Adding life into the forest, which was not apparently there.|A small popping noise came from some ways away, a dreadfully loud noise in the complete quiet of the forest, and Shigeru stopped his whistling. Welcoming any signs of life, Shigeru headed towards the noise quickly. He came up upon a ragged looking boy standing over a dead hare. The scene was one of sadness, as the boy was clearly malnourished and under-clothed. The hare was clearly to be some kind of meal for the boy, and Shigeru shook his head at the thought. How could such poverty exist in a village so grand. That was something else Shigeru could do for his brothers, save the village they loved so much; he could start with this one boy.[/col3]

Not too loudly, for the forest was quiet enough, Shigeru said, "Hello there. My name is Shimatsu Shigeru. You look a little hungry, do you want any help?" Shigeru gestured to the dead hare, and then to his bag. "I have some food if you would like to join me for a small meal." Shigeru tried not to come off as high or mighty, though it was hard to look normal when snow melts at your feet and steam comes off your shoulders in small streams. Shigeru only had the best of intentions, so he gave a wave to the boy, hoping the gesture would be reassuring.

[Training]
[WC: 750]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Takeo’s head jerked towards the sound of a voice, an unexpected break in the silence of the forest. What he saw was more startling than the unexpected company. The newcomer was a slight man of average build, whose age Takeo surmised to be in the upper teens. The boy wore only a pair of pants and a t-shirt; attire strikingly underprepared for the weather that Kumogakure bore down this day. The young mans lack of suitable winter clothes was only part of what Takeo found disquieting. The snow around the base of his feet was completely gone, melted the moment he touched foot to forest floor. Not only that, his skin steamed as snowflakes fell onto it, sizzling away into water vapor. In his surprise, Takeo had almost considered flinging a round from his sling at the man and bolting through the woods towards the village; but caution stayed his hand. He was obviously some sort of chakra sensitive being, though Takeo didn’t see a Kumo forehead protector anywhere on his body. Besides, he was bigger than him, and looked like he knew what he was doing with that blade strapped across his back.

The mans words had the greatest effect, though. Here was another person offering him help. Indignation and anger boiled in his chest. Was he so pathetic looking that every adult who happened by felt the need to render aid? Did you have to live a well-dressed, over fed, perfect family life not to attract attention around here? He almost wanted to spit the angry words that came unbidden to his lips at the intruder. Who did he think he was? Then, the memory of what had happened at the Academy only a couple weeks prior sprang to mind. What good would come of harsh words said in haste to one who offers no quarrel? Takeo’s grip loosened on the strings of his sling, and re replied in calm and measured voice.

”Thanks for the offer, but I don’t think I’ll be able to sneak up on anything; what with you steaming and whistling like a teakettle.” The words were said in jest, and the young student hoped they would be taken as such. To help emphasize that his quip was playful, he pulled the scarf down from around his face, revealing a small smile. ”I’m Raikou Takeo; a student at the Academy. If we’re going to cook this thing up,” he patted the dead hare at his hip, ”Then we’d best find some shelter to do it in. I’m not so unaffected by the cold as you seem to be.”

{MFT: 434wc}

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Standing there for a moment, Shigeru didn’t know if the boy was going to react in a negative way, or a positive one. Shigeru could see the look on the boy’s face change, if ever so slightly, as the emotions went through him. Anger, Hatred, Calm, Acceptance, stages of grief, but they are also stages of coming to terms with new people in your life. Obviously Shigeru’s initial response to want to help the boy only brought him indignation. It was a great thing, to be one without much and still want to hold onto any sense of pride you could muster up. However, such a thing was foolish, and Shigeru shook his head at the thought.

Shigeru knew that he was going to have to tread carefully so as not to upset the boy, because that was not his intention. Then the boy made a slight jest about Shigeru’s strange body composition. This brought a smile to his lips. “I don’t akin my condition to that of a whistle, no never. It is more the fabled C sharp, so trill it almost isn’t heard.” Shigeru gave the boy a playful wink, letting him know that no offense was taken.

“However, you are right about the shelter. There is a clearing over there,” Shigeru gestured to a place near where the two were already standing. Then with a small handseal, Shigeru released the chakra that boiled just below the surface of his skin, letting it ooze out slowly. The chakra was thick and warm and it congealed over his skin in a protective cover which had the appearance of small flames. Shigeru put it on not for show, but instead to generate a complete amount of heat. Cocking his head to the side, Shigeru gave Takeo a wide grin. “If the cold is your enemy, you have found the greatest ally to hope for Raikou Takeo. I come equipped as a personal space heater. Ha!” Shigeru let out a loud bark of laughter, a deep bass tone this time. “Lead the way, I think you may know this place slightly better.”
[WC: 352, MFT]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Takeo found it difficult to hide his astonishment at Shigeru’s imitation of the Human Torch. He could feel the heat radiating outward from the man; a welcome sensation, but one that stung his eyes and cheeks. It was like walking into a well-heated building after working out in the cold all day. What kind of ability was this, then, that could convert chakra into flames that give off such gentle heat that the bearer felt no pain as they danced across his skin? Takeo surmised that this must be a shinobi of some merit if he possessed such a skill.

Takeo led them only a hundred or so meters from where they met to the aforementioned clearing. It was a small ring of clear forest floor no more than twenty meters across. The conifers that ringed it were old, their trunks too wide for even a fully-grown man to wrap his arm around them; their upper branches reaching out to one another as if to clasp hands, but falling short and leaving a small ring of sky visible between them. The snow was thinner on the ground here than throughout the woods Takeo had been traveling through previously; the result of the evergreens offering natural shelter better than the bare branches of their deciduous kin. The snow was thickest in the center where nature’s oculus gave way to the elements to enter. It was here that Takeo trudged with singular purpose; to clear the snow from the ring of stones buried beneath it. He had used this place before as an overnight hideaway in the gentler summer months, and his fire pit was the only evidence of his passing.

”So, you’re a shinobi, then?” Takeo asked as he cleared away the snow, uncovering the fire pit beneath. ”That’s an interesting jutsu. It must take up a lot of chakra.” Small talk, but with purpose. Takeo had still not decided which path he would travel as a shinobi; if he could glean any information out of someone older and more experienced than himself, he could use it to his advantage. ”I only know a little taijutsu myself. I haven’t quite gotten the hang of any ninjutsu or genjutsu yet.” He walked over to the edge of the clearing, retrieving from the shadow of a tree a small stack of firewood he had collected this past summer and left for his future use. Only the top layer of sticks and logs was damp from the snow, the rest would be dry enough to catch once set to flame. Setting them up in a classic tepee shape inside the ring, he grinned at Shigeru; ”Gratitude, in advance for your assistance with lighting the fire.”

As Shigeru responded to Takeo’s questions, the boy would begin gutting and skinning the hare. His previous plan to use the hide for gloves would have to be postponed for another day, as there was nowhere to begin the tanning process out here in the field. Instead, he simply buried the innards, hide, paws and head in the snow. Once they had finished their meal and parted ways a woodland scavenger could sneak in and have a decent meal of it. Takeo was firmly of the mindset of “waste not, want not”, and that included looking out for other creatures that had to scrape and fight to survive. He cut the rodent long-ways into two halves and spitted them on a pair of green pine branches for cooking over the fire while waiting for Shigeru’s reply.

{MFT: 588 wc}

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Shigeru watched the boy while they walked. He was sure of himself. Though he looked like he needed help, he was more in control of himself than even Shigeru was. ‘I can barely control my own strength, who am I to judge anyone else about how they live?’ The forest was still quiet, though most animals flee when they are within the sight of fire. ‘They all flee from me, but this one does not care. Maybe I can have a life among other humans after all.’ When they reached the clearing, Takeo began immediately starting what he needed to do. Shigeru was amazed at how sure the boy was in everything he did; either it was skill or practice, Shigeru did not need to know to understand that this boy had been dealt a hard life.

Then the questions began, and Shigeru patiently listened, you couldn’t construct the perfect melody without time and patience. Through the whole thing, Takeo continued to work diligently, which spoke to his attitude and core beliefs, he didn’t let the small things get in his way. However, when he began to clean his small meal, Shigeru knew it was time for him to pay up.

“I am a Chuunin of the great Kumogakure no Sato. So yes, I am a shinobi. Though, I have taken a bit of a sabbatical from the normal duties one would expect. I have been doing studying trying to control my… condition. Though it is great with me, others find what I do a little peculiar, sometimes dangerous.” Shigeru hung his head at the statement, if just slightly. “What I have is an excess chakra and no training to keep it at bay, so sometimes I just have to let it out. Not very fancy, but it comes in handy during a fight.”
Shigeru stood up and stretched his muscles quickly. He pointed his right arm towards the pile of sticks, and then he willed the flames to leap from his back and upon them. In turn, the flames responded quickly, they lept from his back, down his arm, and over the sticks, engulfing them entirely. Their dance was a merry one, and Shigeru stared at the flames for a little before returning to the real world. “Ninjutsu is what you might call it, because no one has another name for the exact form. I do, however, know how to do most of the Fire Ninjutsu within my level, it is my specialty after all. Taijutsu is brutish, but,” Shigeru motioned to the blade on his back. “It has uses in the field of battle, and the field of the mind. Genjutsu has never been in my field of view, but I am trying to learn it. How about you? Just Taijutsu is all you dream of? Do you not have any more dreams? Come tell me.”

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The fire leapt down Shigeru’s back and engulfed the pile of sticks and twigs. Any moisture the snow may have given them burning off in an instant. It was impressive to see such a mastery over an element of nature, but Takeo was not envious. From what the chuunin said, his gift was a cursed double-edged sword. Takeo didn’t want anything to have such control over him. He handed one of the halves of the hare to the Burning Man before crouching close to the fire and holding his own half over it to cook the sparse meal. Crouching, rather than sitting, prevented what Takeo lovingly referred to as wet-ass-syndrome; it’s cause the melting of snow via body-heat soaking through the bottom of ones pants. When out and about in cold weather such as this it was extremely important to stay dry, lest ice crystals form close to the skin and cause hypothermia. Although, this would not be a problem for someone so cloaked in flames as his companion.

”I don’t dream of taijutsu; it’s just that it’s all I know. Besides, there’s a certain amount of pride in forging your own body into a living weapon.” The hare began crackling as the open flames cooked its flesh. As he turned his half over to cook the other side, drops of delicious fat sizzled and boiled on its surface. The winter was still relatively young, and the hare still had some fat stored up for the difficult days it thought it still had ahead. Did this little rodent dream while it yet lived? Had it though of a spring with warm temperatures, and plenty of food, and perhaps a mate to pass on his little legacy? Really, were the two people eating the hare any different from their prey?

”When I dream,” He turned his gaze into the flames, his eyes distant. ”I dream of freedom.” He turned the hare over again. It wouldn’t be long until the small animal was cooked and he could enjoy its meat. ”Freedom from those who would do me harm. Freedom from hunger, and fear, and the promise of more of the same to come with each sunrise.” He turned the hare over again. ”The Village, and those who teach me, they give me the strength to stand on my own two feet; and the tools to attain my freedom. I am eternally grateful, and would see that its citizens remain protected; and everyone who would cause them harm stricken from the earth.” The hare looked cooked enough. Takeo removed it from the fire. ”That’s why, someday, I will be Raikage.”

{MFT: 437 wc}

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Shigeru graciously accepted the small piece of hare from Takeo, though he didn’t really want to take the boy’s food; though the boy would have been upset by this if Shigeru had tried to refuse. In this place, both of them were closer to equals than they would have been within the bounds of the village. Out in the forest everyone had an equal chance of death and happiness. So Shigeru took the hare with no complaints or back talk. He watched as Takeo put his over the fire, and then he himself did the same. Though he could have roasted the hare himself in a matter of moments, Shigeru wanted to show the boy that they were one in the same out here, even if it was just a small gesture.

Shigeru continued to watch the boy as he started to talk, to open up really, to Shigeru. He was thoughtful in his actions, and his words mirrored that sentiment. First, the boy talked of taijutsu, was it just a means to an end then? His body would be nothing but a tool for others to use? That is the life of a weapon. However, as Takeo continued, he spoke of his dreams. The passion of one so young made Shigeru’s own passion, his own dream, sing in unison. Shigeru knew what it was like to have a dream that outclassed your position and power.

This boy wanted the same things that Shigeru wanted, though he had his own reasons. However, that did not mean they could not attempt to achieve these goals together. “Raikou Takeo, when I was your age, not too terribly long ago, I received news that my two older brothers had died. They died as noble shinobi of this village, and though it was not my dream to become a shinobi, I did so to honor them. You see, they loved this village so much they gave their lives for it, and what kind of brother would I be if I too did not honor their memory by protecting this village?” The words caught in his mouth. The memories, though so long ago, were fresh in his mind. How hopeless he had felt, and how much he wished to trade places with his brothers. “I swore to them that I would protect this village and make it great. Maybe together we will see our dreams come true.” Shigeru looked down at his cooked hare and took a bite.​

WC: 413 [MFT]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
A somber atmosphere permeated through the glade as Shigeru recounted the loss of his brothers and his reason for fighting. ”Condolences, for your brothers.” He said before biting into his half of the hare. Without the benefits of seasoning or marinades, the flavor was rather plain. The meat was tough and gamey; but the natural flavor, augmented by its extreme freshness, was extremely satisfying. Besides, hunger is the best sauce.

As the serious business of eating was underway, Takeo fell silent, focusing on finding every scrap of meat on the little rodent. After he picked the bones clean, he cracked them open with his teeth and ate the marrow before tossing them into the fire. The sparse meal didn’t fill him, but he was no longer starving. When he was finished, he tossed the stick in after the bones, and picked up a handful of snow to wash his hands and face with; popping the frozen substance into his mouth to melt into lifesaving hydration. I was tough work, hunting; between that and eating the body becomes dehydrated. Even in the cold, not drinking water was a deadly mistake.

The small fire began to die down, its sparse fuel finally burning out. When Shigeru had finished eating, Takeo stood and kicked some snow onto the hot ashes to put the fire completely out. Between the smoke from the fire and the smell of cooked meat, Takeo’s chances at finding more game today were slim to none. ”Well, I’d better head back. I’ve got work tomorrow morning, and a class in the afternoon I have to prepare for.” He was reluctant to leave so soon, but he was in dire need of the warmth of his shelter. Besides, he had some rice he could fill up on until he got the chance to hunt again. ”Gratitude, for the company. Our paths will surely cross again.” Takeo didn’t know if shaking the man’s hand would burn him, so he simply waved as he turned and walked away, tucking his hands into the pocket of his hoodie to keep them warm until he could get back to his shack at the junkyard and relight the fire there.

[TLUS]

[This was fun! We should RP again some time. Sorry about the delays in posting and missing your class.]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Shigeru sat with the boy through much of the morning, and even though much talking did not occur, the company was great. He felt closer to the boy by miles, and he counted this Takeo as one of his friends. Maybe one day Takeo would even be his student. He knew, however, that this boy was going places. Within his dreams, the future of the village rested. It was these students who would build the community up and bring the village into true prosperity. They made Shigeru hopeful for the future to come. The time went by quickly, and in the end, Takeo had to leave. Shigeru nodded to the boy. "It was great to meet you Raikou Takeo. I look forward to seeing you in the future. Take this with you and remember me!" As Takeo was leaving Shigeru gave him his bag. It was full of food and had a little bit of money along with a few general use items for shinobi. He knew the boy would need it. After Takeo was gone, Shigeru remained until the fire had died out.

[Topic Left]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back