Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

The Lightning Country Saga: Act 2, Scene 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Unknown Location, Kaminari no Kuni
...???? Hours

“Out of the fire and into the frying pan, eh, Mochizuki?” quipped Shiranai as he sat next to the girl on a stack of bodies while flames licked at their charred-black feet. Tama turned to face him, grinning in response – or at least, her bare skull did, still draped by the panda-hoodie. Senna now tugged at his arm, causing him to look over at her. Giving him a seductive look, she pressed his hand to the bolt-sized hole right above her left breast, still pumping out arterial blood...

With a start, Shiranai opened his eyes, fighting the urge to vomit. Ice-cold water ran down his face and chest, from where he had been splashed moments before. The world spun crazily, much as it had done aboard the Raiden’s Breath in the final moments of the train’s fiery death. But this time, the spinning was coming from the fact that he was suspended in the air via a chain that connected manacles on his wrists to a ceiling above. As far as he could tell, he was imprisoned in a windowless chamber of some sort, its features hidden in darkness save for a single overhead light that shone fiercely from above and was trained on his head, forcing him to avert his eyes to avoid being blinded. There was no way to tell where he was – no geographic clues or landmarks, and not even a means to tell if he was above or below ground level. Wherever he was, it was also cold, and he shivered violently, having been stripped to a loincloth and drenched. Clenching his teeth, he breathed deeply, attempting to utilize his mednin knowledge to control his physiology and get his body to start warming itself. He looked upward at his bindings, lamenting that his hands were spaced just widely enough to prevent the completion of handseals. Unfortunately, he did not possess the talent for one-handed seals, preventing that option.
Makoro_Avatar2.jpg

rogue_ninbanner_zpsad9d83c5.gif
“Greetings, Shogun. I apologize for the rather austere accommodations,” now said Hayata Makoro, who emerged from the shadows, hands behind his back in a scholarly pose.
Shiranai-1.jpg

cloud_medic_zps76bbfb4d.gif
“Why?! Why are you doing this, Makoro?!” growled Shiranai, now straining at the manacles in vain.

“I’m impressed, Your Majesty,” said Makoro, clapping his hands as he paced a circle around the chained mednin. “You’re probably the first person who’s directly asked me that question. You see, my servants – the various lower-ranked trash that call themselves nukenin, do what I tell them to because in their simplistic minds I am the strongest and therefore I must be correct. The mercenaries and various professionals I employ do my bidding because I pay them well. Amakusa Ryuu gladly accepted my offer of aid in his plans to take the country because of his own greed, and never cared about what my motivations were. The simple and underwhelming truth is that I have labored for the last thirty years in pursuit of a singular purpose: revenge. The irony, which is not lost on me, is that the man I seek revenge on is long-dead. He is, or was, Hayata Takama, my brother.”

“If he’s long dead, are you not satisfied?” asked Shiranai, gritting his teeth. It was more obvious now than it had ever been in the past that Makoro was truly mad. “I’ve heard the stories. You’re the only missing nin who has ever been able to disappear from all of our records. Why throw that away?!”

“A man’s death does not absolve him of the burden of sin,” said Makoro, darkly. “As long as I, the aggrieved, still live, he must pay. And if he cannot render payment, his son will.”

“You’re talking about the Raikage, aren’t you?”

“Yes. Shin, my nephew. At first I thought he would have no future, being too much like his father, and be an easy target. But over the years, as he became a well-rounded man and a more powerful shinobi and eventually the Raikage, I was forced to also expand the scope of my plans. I knew I could not wait for longer, so I acted.”

“The Raikage will never give in to the demands of a terrorist,” spat Shiranai, uselessly straining against his bonds.

“Oh, but I think he will. He is, after all, a Hayata. Not that he won’t need some convincing, though,” said Makoro, now waving his hand lazily in the direction of a darkened corner of the room. A group of five henchmen, their eyes flinty with malice, now approached bearing ominous-looking tools in their hands; a large wooden crucifix, more chains, and three very large nails. One of them pulled on a nearby lever, loosening the manacles that held Shiranai to the ceiling and causing him to drop to the ground. Before he could formulate a plan for escape, two of them roughly hoisted him under his armpits and laid him on the cross, spreading his arms. Another now took up a hammer and a nail, and started to poke at the flesh of the mednin’s wrist. At this point, the future Shogun of Lightning Country realized what was in store for him.

“It’s really not personal, Your Majesty,” said Makoro as he exited the chamber, leaving behind the boy’s screams and the intermittent clanking noises of hammer on nails.

Emergency Assembly of the Council of Nobles
Grand Chamber of the Imperial Diet
Raiden no Me, Kaminari no Kuni
...0800 hours

The high-roofed, palatial Grand Chamber was abuzz with activity and the competing volumes of hundreds of separate conversations at once, only calming down slightly after a series of furious raps of the gavel issued from the Speaker of the Council. He was a graying man in his sixties, and a samurai by birth with the rank of Marquis. It was his job to enforce the complex rules of protocol that governed assemblies of the Council of Nobles, and he had occupied the role for a very long time.

It had been only two days ago that the Raiden’s Breath had met its fiery end and the Crown Prince and future Shogun of the land, the mednin Shiranai, had been captured by the missing nin Makoro. Already, Ami had weathered a stream of nonstop hearings, and now she stood at the Chancellor’s podium, bleary-eyed and increasingly, undeniably desperate. Kumo, with the lone exception of Countess Bakunin, had been silent since Shiranai’s capture. Her letters to Hayata Shin had gone unanswered and she had been informed that the ANBU Vice Commander was still recovering from a severe injury and was unable to reach her. As she looked over the assembled nobility, the only friendly face she beheld was the blue-haired countess’s, who had come of her own accord, as opposed to by any direction of the Raikage. Nearby, Ryuu grinned triumphantly.
Daiki_Avatar.jpg
“Esteemed peers of the Council, you have heard the testimony and seen the results of Chancellor Tachibana’s failed political gamble, intended to trick you all into endorsing a no-name shinobi of Kumo as your rightful leader, for the sole purpose of undermining our influence and placing the country’s governance into the hands of the Raikage Hayata Shin, a known radical and heretic who does not endorse the Glory of Raiden! As a nation, we cannot tolerate more selfish misadventures such as these from our leadership. Therefore, I formally move to hold a vote of no confidence against Chancellor Tachibana Ami!” declared Daiki, prompting a cacophony of blended shouts of approval mixed with equally strong booing and calls for his expulsion.

“I second the motion,” responded another voice from the crowd, belonging to a well-dressed but intimidating man in his thirties, the Marquis Lee Kuan Yew, who had always been a longtime enemy of the woman. The Speaker now furiously rapped his gavel against its wooden sounding block.

“Baron Tsukahara, you cannot simply call for a vote of no confidence against the current head of state without nominating a replacement,” he warned Daiki, who rolled his eyes.

“In that case, I move that we formally recognize Daimyo Amakusa Ryuu as hereditary Shogun of Kaminari no Kuni,” responded the redhead, prompting an overwhelming chorus of raised voices, cheers, catcalls, applause, and banging of geta against wooden desks.

“Absolutely not!” roared Kouhei, now dressed in his full military splendor and flanked by Naoto and Princess Miyu.

“Seconded!” shouted various members of the Diet. Ami now cleared her throat.
Lady_Ami.jpg
“May I remind the Council that until we have conclusive evidence of his death, His Majesty Shiranai vi Kaminari is still the Crown Prince of Kaminari no Kuni?” she stated.

“You have no proof that he is alive, either!” jeered Ryuu from his seat.

“Daimyo Amakusa, in the event of the disappearance or presumed death of the Shogun or his immediate successor, our custom demands a one-week period of search be conducted before he is presumed dead,” responded Ami.

“Very well, I make the motion that we table this emergency session to concentrate our efforts of verifying the whereabouts and status of Crown Prince Shiranai. We will resume in three days,” said the speaker, about to rise from his seat.
Sayaka_Av.jpg

countess.png
“Seconded!” piped the Countess Bakunin from her seat, followed by a ripple of “ayes” from the room.

“And when we do, we will resume the vote of no confidence with Daimyo Amakusa as Shogun-nominee!” shouted Daiki, prompting a chorus of affirmatives from the room.

“Yes, of course,” said the speaker with obvious distaste, before slamming the gavel down.

Office of the Raikage, Torre Celeste
Kumogakure no Sato, Kaminari no Kuni
…0900 hours

A neatly hand-written letter lay on Shin’s desk, its contents obvious for all to see.
To Hachidaime Raikage Hayata Shin and his subordinates:

You all know who I am, and that I have the Crown Prince at my mercy. If you wish to see him alive and this country not reduced to total ruin, you will do exactly as I say. In three days I will bring him to the roof of the Torre Celeste. There, Hayata Shin will surrender himself into my custody and I will release Shiranai into yours. You will have a Thunderhawk-class glider transport ready for our exit. Any attempt at deception, especially the use of the chakra organism named “Deta” as a double, and the deal is off and you will never see Shiranai again. As an added precaution, you will allow a force of my men to occupy the bottom and top floors of the Torre Celeste and expel all other shinobi from the premises. There is no need to reply to this message. I am always watching.

-Hayata Makoro

Attached to the letter was a picture of a crucified, wild-eyed Shiranai, his face haggard and bloody. It was obvious that there was not much time left.
This is a focused, free RP thread for Shin, the sennin, and Masao. PM me if you are not any of the above but wish to join anyway.

Shu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Shin sat staring at the letter continuously analyzing each character and punctuation. He was expecting this event to happen or at least be pushed this far. Shin's countenance was covered by his dark tinted glasses hiding his obvious discontent and velliety. The disfigurement of Shinrai was disturbing but it was the least of Shin's concerns at the moment. If Shin did not give himself up the country would go to chaos or at least uncertain with a capricious shogon to replace Shinrai. It was interesting to note that his uncle knew about Deta but not surprising. Shin removed his glasses showing his heavy gray eyes as he glanced at his sennin who waited for his response.

"Its obvious to know what my decision will be. This predicament is not just about the security of the country but also about my family. I can not allow you to interfere." Shin said with an austere tone.

[I am assuming you guys are already here]

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Rin stared steadily at Hayata. "It is our job to interfere. You intend to emasculate us at this junction, Raikage-sama? This is not just about your family. This is about the nation. Nor do we have time for debate, my lord. This situation is spiraling out of control--all of our control."

It rankled. Despite the ANBU's best efforts, despite pulling in support from the medical and main branches, she had been outmaneuvered and put on the defensive. She had failed the Raikage, who relied upon her tactical expertise, and the village she was meant to shield. If she was not the most cunning hunter, her lord Raijin would withdraw his gaze and seek a better champion. Truly, these times were a crucible from which only the mighty would walk. She could not rely on Isaki, who seemed more interested in social aspects, or Fujinami, who had all but disappeared--and had been rendered politically and organizationally impotent, besides. Hayata was more a man of contemplation than of action.

But he is going to walk into this trap no matter what I do. I must account for that and plan around it. Or plan on it. With that decided, with that switch flipped, the burning bitterness in her gut subsided. Options, consequences, and responses started ticking, turning over in her thoughts, and gathering speed. A web of if-thens became illuminated. The village's fate would be decided along these lines.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Shin’s eyes told Masao everything he needed to know. He was now staring into the same face possessed by the rain-soaked, bookish ten-year-old who had appeared at Dyu Reikon’s funeral only to reveal to the world his complete lack of understanding of human emotion. In those days before Akira Saito had saved the future Raikage through the power of friendship and love, Shin had been a markedly different individual – one with no future except to trudge down the same dark corridors of logic and obsession like his father, and also, as Masao knew now, his uncle.

The Vice Commander had studied the missing nin closely ever since the failed mission in Baku where Joukuu and he had first become aware of the man. Makoro’s actions were also dictated solely by logic and reasoning – he did nothing that strayed from the cold, hard calculus of what was needed to accomplish his goal, which had been to capture the Raikage all along. For the elder Hayata, there was no room for sentimentality, affection, or mercy. Those were mere impediments that dulled the edge of his mental knife. In that way, Makoro was a reminder of what Shin could have become had he never grasped Saito’s outstretched hand.

“Raikage-sama, surely you must have a plan to trick or outsmart him, if you are telling us not to interfere. At least let us know what it is so we can help you. You can’t simply be meaning to just accede to the madman’s terms, right?!”

Junan

Yen
ASP
Deaths
He'd been sitting there listening to what had happened. Their enemy was a wile one, he'd managed to take Shiranai... the Shogun, despite Kumo's interference. With the letter before them, a picture of Shiranai, and Shin's determination to take this all on himself Shiranai had to be curious as to what was actually going to happen. Shin could preach about how it was family and blah blah blah all day, fact of the matter was that he was now the Raikage. It didn't matter if it was family or not at this point, the man wanted the leader of Cloud, Cloud would look weak if that happened.

Quietly he spoke his mind, though it wasn't a forceful argument, he just felt the need to voice the obvious counter arguement to Shin's statement Family issues stopped taking priority the day you took the title of Raikage. Right now we can't think of him as your uncle, we need to think of him as the enemy of the village. His head was in the palm of his hand and his eyes lazily glanced at everyone in case they cast him a look.

Sitting up straighter he leaned back into the chair, his mind a whir of possibilities We need to set something up so intricate that even he couldn't have figured every possibility. Anything too large he'd notice, but sometimes it's the smallest pebble which trips someone in the longest journey. Sucking in a breath he continued I'm suggesting we cast out a hundred pebbles and hope he trips on one of them. Clearly placing a wall before him simply has him figure a way over, around or through it.

He had a few ideas of course, but he wondered what the responce would be to this idea as it was.

They had cards to play, cards which the man wouldn't know about.

Shu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
It seemed there was not stopping the Sennin from changing their minds. It was obvious that if Shin were to purse his decision they would not permit it. Perhaps they would throw him in jail for his actions or strip him of his status. The entire ordeal was more trouble that Shin had wanted. Shin looked back at the pristine parchment trying to find some loophole in Makoro's writing. None of the Sennin had an idea as to what to do but yet they fervently believed that exchanging Shin's life for Shinrai was not the right thing to do. Masao wondered if Shin had an idea to circumvent Makaro's control of the situation but Shin had none. It was not because he could not formulate one, it was his best asset after all. However, this was his uncle they were talking about. If his uncle was anything like his father there was no way he could outsmart him. Perhaps Shin was simply afraid of being defeated by his uncle. Despite all these things, there was still something that plague Shin's mind. What Makoro's motive in all this? "It just doesn't make sense. Logically, I can see Ojisan to attack the village on the account of the Hayata's clan unmercifully dishonored in the past. At least I could understand his anger even though I forsaken my anger. It does not explain why he would want my life over Shinrai's. Otousan, why did you shield him from me. I have nothing to go by" Shin thought to himself.

"Rin, do not think that I am unaware of that. I am certain that if we attempt to fool Makoro he will kill Shinrai. You know this. My life is not worth the risk of the country being thrown into chaos. I am the Raikage but I am still a shinobi first and foremost." Shin said.

"If wish I did Masao but this is Hayata Makoro we are talking about. I would be lying to you if I said my intelligence may be far better than his." Shin said turning his view toward Masao. "You should know me well enough that I do not dwell in uncertainty." Shin continued.

"Hope is nothing something that we can bargain with --- not at this point, Kushin. If may I believe Rin has an interesting point whether she realizes it or not. If rest of the shinobi were to discharge themselves perhaps they can act as independent faculties which I would not have no jurisdiction over. However, the likelihood of that occurring is rather slim." Shin sighed with hand creasing his face. He placed his glasses on his face as he began to stand up from his seat. "The only certainty that I have is that if I give myself to Makoro he will release Shinrai. If I am gone Deta will take my place until a suitable person can take over. You have all been a great service to this village and I am sure that you will lead this village astray. Now, I will ask you to leave so that I may gather myself." Shin said.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"The only certainty that I have is that if I give myself to Makoro he will release Shinrai. If I am gone Deta will take my place until a suitable person can take over. You have all been a great service to this village and I am sure that you will not lead this village astray. Now, I will ask you to leave so that I may gather myself,” said the Raikage cooly, calmly, and with fatal certainty.

The sound of a hand hitting flesh now reverberated across the room, surprising everyone present.

“Dammit, snap out of it, Shin! You’re...you’re becoming like you were before!” said Masao, breathlessly, the palm of his hand stinging, and the welt on the Raikage’s face becoming redder. He looked down at his palm, ashamed. “I'm sorry... I’ll accept whatever punishment, I don’t care. But my point still stands. Akira Saito once said: ‘as the Raikage falls, so too does the village.’ That fucking bastard Makoro is going to have to work hard for his meal, mark my words.”

With that, he turned and left, briefly making eye contact with Kushin.

See Rin and I later...

[Topic left]

Junan

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Had Shin thought before he spoke? Did he truely devalue his Sennin so much that he thought that the outcome was inevitable? Kushin's eyes looked at the Raikage unblinkingly, weighing him, measuring him, wondering what was going on inside his mind. He seemed to be someone who crumbled under pressure, and it seemed that Kushin wasn't the only one to see that.

Masao's words caught Kushin's attention, his eyes moving from Shin to the older shinobi. Of everyone in the room Kushin was by far the youngest, the least practiced. It was the words of the veterans that he had to listen to to gain wisdom that he hadn't earned through experiance. This was what Shin had been like as a child. This wasn't the man who had become the Raikage. These things made sense to Kushin. The idea that the kage was going through a traumatic experiance due to whatever had affected him as a child now coming back and his mind automatically resetting itself wasn't unheard of.

This wasn't the only thing that Kushin noted though. A name was becoming familiar to him now, one which was used by Masao regularly, and one who Kushin knew to be the previous ANBU Sennin. He'd found out through his research that Akira and Shin had been friends, close friends. Indeed many of the stories of the man seemed almost... story like. The type one would tell children. That his faith in his lord gave him strength to beat the baddies. This was the type of story he expected to be told when he was growing up about the senior shinobi. It instilled a state of mind in the young that by being loyal, by fighting the good fight you too could be... what? The next best thing to a god?

Kushin caught the look and heard the message. He didn't acknowledge it, he assumed there to be a reason for the secrecy and nodding would simply give away the knowledge that something had transpired. The last thing they needed was for a Raikage who was giving up, who was losing his faith, to think that his Sennin were plotting something without his knowledge. He'd surely suspect them of trying to oust him. Why would Kushin do this when this Raikage was proving to him again and again how weak he was.

Masao left.

Kushin took a breath and let the atmosphere in the room brew for a moment before speaking again.

You choose to have us as your Sennin, yet you believe us to be useless against our opponent. He looked to Rin then back to Shin Some of us have wisdom gained through years of battle, training, and time. I know that although the position of Medical Sennin is traditionally one linked with knowledge that it is not knowledge which is my strength. I do know this though. His voice was calm, almost sad, he was speaking to Shin almost as a mother would her child when the child was crying and needed a pep talk If you are lost and don't know what to do, find someone who you trust above all others to guide you. Akira Saito was... is a strong shinobi. Retired, sure, but so was Rin and so was Masao, and he is not of their age yet. Masao quotes him to you so you can draw strength from words simply said by the man. If that has any impact on you at all then what would having him beside you do?

He stood and then carefully stepping beside his chair placed it under the table, almost delicately.

Akira might be someone your Uncle might foresee you calling on, but if he is a man who has done the impossible in the past, and is someone who gives you strength then why are you not using him? Even if he arrived late the knowledge that he was coming might be all the strength you need to succeed where you couldn't before.

Nodding towards Rin he moved towards the door and pulling it open he stopped, one last thing to say before he would leave.

I understand doubt clouding your mind, but you are the Raikage, you need to clear your head and trust those that you have placed trust in. For it is the trust that you have in us which gives us faith in you.

He left, closing the door softly behind him. Kushin had seen the weaknesses in Shin, seen all to many of them. He needed to see the strengths in the man before he could get a true understanding of why he was the Raikage in the first place. Anyone could make good decisions in peace time, it was during war that legends were formed.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Alone with the Raikage, Rin leaned back in her chair.

"Well," she sighed. "That was fruitless. Have you learned what it is to rule by committee, Hayata? This," she spread her hands out to show the empty room. "This is what it means." She looked around.

"Do what you need to do, Hayata. You are the Raikage, but you are also a man, and the leader of the Uchiha here by default, and the head of your own family." She examined his face, noting the strain. "Our loyalty flows to you, but your loyalty is owed to the nation, and the Shogun. Shiranai is one of ours. So is your uncle. The first, we rescue. The latter, you defeat. No one else cleans up our messes, Hayata. Cloud takes care of its own. You and I take care of our own."

She looked down, then back at Hayata. Her mien had turned flinty and cold. "Your uncle is not the real danger. He might have pulled the strings here, but this is only one page in the bitter history of Lightning Country. Even when the hot war ends, the worst is yet to come. And it is here, in the village. Do what you must now. You must, it is imperative, be decisive. Be bold. You are not a man to be trifled with. Nor are you a toy or a puppet. I want to see the man who is my lord and master--not the boy I savaged thirty years ago."

She pushed her chair back, stood, and bowed. "Shall I arrange your transportation, Raikage-sama?"

Shu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kushin and Masao left with much disdain in their heart. There was not a moment in which they felt that their words were passed by Shin's pertinaciousness. Why did they not understand his decision to adheare to his uncle's demand. Did they not full comprehend the certitude of consequence if the village were to fail? The entire political tower would crumble and run to chaos like rising and falling of the sun as cliche as it may. Shin was no fool to let such events dance in his village regardless if were his family's doing or not. If he were to die another kage would rise before him ; there was no other rational decision besides this one -- no equivocal bickering or filibustering that the village could be entertain now. They had their chance and now it was time to act.

Alone with the Raikage, Rin leaned back in her chair.

Rin gave her normal reprimand but at least this one was something that Shin needed to hear. A simple recapitualion of what had brought here and the fact that as Raikage it will be incumbent of him to maintain the order as leader of the village. "Men have free will but I do not." Shin thought to himself as he lifted himself from his chair.

"So be it." Shin said in a firm motion requesting her to leave with her task. "I must prepare myself with the task at hand." Shin grab his heavy coat as he followed Rin out the door.

[[Leaving Topic]]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back