Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

TLDR [Entering Country/Kin App]

Osuteno

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Osu’s Tragic Journey:
Bloodlust Avenger (Joke Title)

The Tale of Two Years and Some Change.

A young… man stepped onto the deck of a ship when he heard Lightning Country would be in sight soon. The wind teased his purple hair as he waited to see the shores of his homeland after all this time. The small sigh that escaped him caused a nearby sailor the start thumping his head against the deckhouse while chanting “Not a woman.” Forcing himself to ignore the all too familiar sight Osuteno went for higher ground in the hope of seeing land just a bit sooner. The rope upon which he sat would reveal to an observant eye that he did not weigh as much as even his slim size suggested, perhaps not even half as much as appearance suggested. Despite having grown considerably taller these last couple years Osuteno had lost weight even though he had been rather slim before. This caused him to sway considerably on the wind but neither he nor anyone else on the ship had concern over that at this point. It was honestly silly for him to be waiting up here to witness the appearance of land since it would still be the next day until they made port.

Osuteno grimaced to himself when he thought back to the last time he was in these waters more than two years ago. Nothing at all was the same as back then. A voice from behind him spoke up, “Osuuu~ I thought you would be happier about being back here. You wouldn’t be thinking about that little shipwreck with that face.” Osu grimaced harder as he had not gotten to that point in his recollection yet.

In the weeks leading up to his thirteenth birthday Osuteno decided he would go on another fishing trip to Moon Country. Of course, since he wasn’t on a mission he thought he would travel like people normally would and completely underestimated how difficult it was to get passage on short notice. He ended up departing while sharing a room with the gun powder. “Osu~ you are going to get bitch face if you keep that up.” Whose fault did she think that was? Using rather inappropriate phrases a voice from inside his head suggested that both he and the woman were constant sources of annoyance for her particularly since they had messed with her library and that he could go choke on his gripes. Maybe Uso was feeling nostalgic as well considering her phrasing… Or maybe solastalgic would be more appropriate? Honestly for most people what they might be feeling in Osu’s shoes would be PTSD.

*Insert wavy transition scene ;P*

The little, girly and cute twelve-year-old Osu sat rather grumpily in his “bunk”, more accurately named a window, and endured the overpowering smell of gunpowder that was stowed with him. He managed to sleep through the first night with no small amount of difficulty and were apparently done sailing near the coast. Soon they would be leaving Lightning controlled waters. The large expanse of ocean between those seas controlled by nations were generally safe unless one ventured into bad weather but occasionally one might run into pirates should they be near uncontrolled islands or parts of the coast with less patrols. Some nations with less developed navies would also often host pirates unwillingly or secretly but that was an issue for international politics. The more concerning issue is that the period right now would be the most likely time for pirates to appear during this voyage per the sailors.

Osu, being an avid reader of adventure stories, couldn’t help but feel it was very bad luck for the crew to say such things aloud but also felt too embarrassed to bring up a discussion on tropes in real life. Still he was much too genre-savvy to dare say or think things like “as if that would happen” or anything else those main characters would foolishly do in stories. He smiled a little at the thought of some people he knew back in the village who would purposefully say protagonist type things. He would never wish it for himself of course, he was much happier and comfortable supporting others from behind. He’s a medic after all. Suddenly Osu got a chill and sneezed simultaneously. Was he coming down with a cold? This trip simply refuses to go his way doesn’t it?

A few hours later dinner had been served and the crew began switching out for night duty. The skies were clear as a half-moon rose and the stars were shining in the sky. Not as many were up at this point particularly since the navigator said tonight looked to be calm but that just meant the few who were up were free to engage in some conversation to pass the time. It was just typical small talk really. What they got up to at the last port, what they planned to do at the next, how unfair it was that the captain got to eat with that little ojou-chan who was heading to Moon on their ship of all things.

“Really though Captain Tsukino flirting at the little girl aside… No that is rather hard to ignore, isn’t it? Even the captain isn’t stupid enough to make a pass at that ojou-chan, right Hino-San? Right??”

“Calm down Mizuno. The captain, as desperate as he is, won’t try anything funny with the kid. I’m sixty percent sure.”

From above them a voice called out, “What about that forty percent!? That forty percent is too high!!! You’re not sure at all!”

A fourth voice, Aino the navigator, popped in at this point, “Kino you are being too loud, quiet down and keep on lookout. And you guys should have more faith in Captain Tsukino. You shouldn’t doubt his integrity just because he is stupid beyond belief, desperate for women, ugly as hell, greedy as a lower noble, unreliable as a friend, a terrible sailor, an senseless alcoholic, possibly a lolicon...”

“YOU DOUBT HIS INTEGRITY THE MOST!!!” The other three shouted at the navigator.

Aino, despite being interrupted in such a fashion, calmly thought about it for a moment. “I suppose you are right… I’m going to go check on the captain and make sure he isn’t trying anything funny with that little girl.”

As Aino left to the Captain’s cabin the other three sailors sighed and Mizuno went back to the topic he initially meant to start. “Anyway… Why do you two think that little girl is on our rat-infested block of scrap wood? Surely for as much as our greedy bastard lolicon of a captain probably charged her she could have taken an actual passenger ship. I mean I haven’t heard of her claiming such but that is a princess of some noble family if I’ve ever seen one. And why is she traveling alone? Shouldn’t she have guards?”

Kino who was hanging upside-down in a rather silly looking fashion above them nodded while scratching his chin, “Yes she seems rather naïve and gives off a proper ojou-chan type air. She doesn’t seem to be dumb mind you, but… Well she had the sense to try claiming she was a boy for her travels from what I heard at dinner but she failed to realize she needed to change her yukata into something more boyish like pants. Even if she did put on pants she fails to realize how cute she is betraying her story. The moe is strong with that one, gonna break some hearts in her life.”

Hino had a concerned and distant look on his face. “My daughter is already grown and married, but even now I wouldn’t dare let her on a trip alone with a bunch of dirty looking sailors like us. In fact, since that little ojou-chan is almost certainly a princess in some regard I can’t imagine why she is alone and heading to Moon… You don’t think she is a runaway, do you?”

Lightbulbs seemed to turn on over the trio’s heads. “That must be it,” Kino muttered.

Mizuno nodded, “That does make a lot of sense. That little ojou-chan is probably running away from home. But then the question is what would cause her to do so. I mean she seems like such a good child.”

The three mused about it for a bit before Hino spoke up again, “It occurs to me that it is common for girls her age to be engaged among nobles, sometimes even married.”

Kino was surprised at this information, “Noble kids get married at her age? Why would they do that? Still that should be a somewhat adorable wedding, wouldn’t it? Two little chibis all dressed up and everything.”

Mizuno grimaced and shook his head, “Nothing of the sort Kino. The girls might be ojou-chan’s age but the men are often your, my or even Hino’s age. Young women often have healthier kids and can put more of them out in their life if they start early which is important to those noble types… Not to mention that they simply like showing off young women despite being old themselves.”

Kino now seemed horrified, “That ojou-chan is way too little to have anything to do with baby-making! There is no way her family would allow such a thing, is there?”

Being a parent himself, Hino was rather dissatisfied as he explained, “Depending on her family’s actual rank they might not have any choice. When guys like us look at nobles we just bow and get out of their way all the same. But amongst their own kind they must use different levels of deference for all sorts of complicated reasons. Like if the ojou-chan is from some branch family of a lower noble house, all it takes is for some slimy noble to have some dirty thoughts about her and use some casual threats before her parents ship her off to be his concubine. In this case though the ojou-chan in question is unmistakably going to be an overwhelming beauty so they may have even auctioned her off to the highest bidder. It wouldn’t surprise me if some nobles with tastes like our captain fought and bid amongst themselves for her. Hell, Aino imagine how she will grow in the next few years and tell me that in a good four or five years you wouldn’t sail a hundred storms to marry her yourself despite being a decade her elder.”

“Forget five years, imagine ten or so from now when that girl is fully a woman through and through,” Mizuno said with a rather stupid yet understandable grin on his face. “She might even be saving the country from a civil war by escaping like this hahaha!”

Kino seemed confused at this point while Hino simply rolled his eyes. “Ignoring that bit of stupidity Mizuno is leaking out it is very likely that by running off to another county, Kino, the ojou-chan is probably trying to escape marriage with a creepy old man like the captain.”

Kino, despite being a bit slow compared to most of the sailors, wasn’t quite sure they were on the right track. “I just don’t know guys. If the girl were that important how did she escape this far on her own? Wouldn’t someone be chasing her down? If she were really important to anyone wouldn’t we have to worry about our safety as well?”

“All of that was nonsense. Do you three think you are detectives or something? Still… Despite being wrong on nearly every assumption made in that ridiculous story, it is a bit impressive that the all-important concluding thought is correct.”

The three sailors confusedly turned their attentions to the deck railing where an unknown girl was sitting. She was an incredibly odd sight with strange black clothes with red frills and a matching bow, condescending eyes as dark as the night, and the halberd she held that had to weigh more than she did. The girl couldn’t have been any older than thirteen but something about her gaze told them that the wrong move could prove to be their end. The gigantic halberd she somehow spun casually in one hand also suggested this.

As the eldest, Hino’s instinct told him danger was upon them and he needed to try and get them out of it safely. “… Good evening miss. You wouldn’t happen to be a shinobi would… Never mind. Is there anything we can assist you with?”

The girl seemed both surprised and disappointed with this reaction. “Really? We can’t do the ‘Where did you come from’ bit or anything? I mean it is obvious that I didn’t board this ship at port yet we are out in the sea with no other ship in sight. You should at least be trying to demand some sort of answer from me aside from trying to be helpful. Gaaah, listening to that stupid story you three made while waiting for the right timing to make my entrance was pointless.” The three sailors had no idea how to go about comforting what they believed was a pouting agent of inhuman destruction. They had always heard that shinobi are all a bit unusual but this simply seemed troublesome.

Suddenly the girl seemed to recover. “Well whatever. Tell us the room Osuteno is in. I know from traveling with him in the past he goes to bed early and if we don’t spill blood along the way it will be easier to capture him before he puts up a fight.”

The sailors had various reactions to this statement but all three turned to surprise as another voice spoke up from behind them. “There is no need to ask them Chiai. The rest of the crew on the deck all said that the child is in a gunpowder room. I sent the siblings on ahead.” The man who spoke this time was massive. He stood shy of seven feet and his shirtless body displayed rolling muscles. Propped on his shoulder was a double-sided axe that was as large as the girl was tall. But where their eyes became glued to was a symbol that he wore around his neck. The mark of the Jashinist religion. Whose grandmother hadn’t scared the piss out of them as kids with tales of Jashinist coming to snatch bad children away in the night to sacrifice to their dark god? Kino fainted.

The monster in human skin smiled broadly. “Oh~ that was a good reaction! Such honest fear is nice to see. I might let him die painlessly in his sleep as a reward for his respect.”

At this the girl’s eyes widened. “Baka-Senpai! Your axe is covered in blood! You were supposed to wait until after Osuteno was captured to start the cleanup! I have told you repeatedly that he is sensitive to blood flow!”
The man casually cut the three sailors in half while using a pinky to clean his earwax. “That’s Baka Priest-Sama to you squirt, you are years away from becoming a full priestess. Besides the kid is weaker than you right? You should stop overestimating your little boyfriend regardless of the fact he is…”

An explosion tore through the ship which was starting to crack in half and sink. The realization of what happened dawned on the girl first. “Baka-Baka-Baka! You sent the twins down into the gunpowder room?!”

The Priest who was unceremoniously being called an idiot by his underling opened and closed his mouth a couple of times before nodding, “Though it is probably fine, I will allow criticism just this once.”

“Baka! Stop standing around saying stupid things and rescue Osu! I mean capture Osuteno safely!”

“That’s no-good Chiai-Chibi. If you say something that plainly shows your affection to the boy and then rephrase it it makes you seem like a tsundere. You normally act more honest than…”

“MOVE YOUR ASS AND SAVE HIM!”

A few minutes earlier, a cultist duo slowly stalked down the underbelly of the ship. Dressed in a fashion that would make you wonder if they were heading to a gimp convention. If one asked for defining details they would be hard pressed to answer with anything aside from the both being about 170 cm tall and possessing lean builds. Every bit of them was completely bound in black. One held what appeared to be an oversized butcher’s knife the length of a sword while the other held a whip with sharp pieces of metal in it. They came up to the door of the gunpowder room and nodded to each other. Fire burning in the hand of one of them and electricity in the other’s hand. As they struck to burst into the room and captured Osu a voice behind them exclaimed, “Wait, don’t! That’s the- Blood Shield!”

Osu had long notice that the people on the deck above him had been quickly killed with their blood pointing everywhere and had noticed he was probably the target of what he assumed were enemy shinobi. He had set himself up to ambush whoever came after him directly but the actions of these twin gimps had not been in his expectations. The fire and lightning they sent into his room were more than enough to set off the gunpowder. Despite shielding himself, with what little time he had it was impossible for him to do enough to fully protect himself. The resulting explosion knocked Osu through several walls but he had managed to keep himself in one piece. The same could not be said for most of those on the ship. Osu was far too aware of the pouring blood and ceasing hearts around him even over the thunderous cracks of the ship falling apart. Most of the crew was dead, and those left alive would very likely die from their injuries or the freezing water they were sinking into. As much as Osu wanted to act to save them, it would be impossible to even begin treatment with two, no… four enemy shinobi after him. As he thought such, the twin gimps burst out from some rubble cracking their bones and stretching as if they were getting up from a nap rather than a deadly explosion. From what Osu could tell they survived the direct impact without much damage. They were incredibly hardy somehow.

Osu knew that this was all a bit much for anyone to expect a lone preteen medical shinobi to handle. His only real option was to try escaping. The pair in front of him seemed to sense his intention to flee. The one with the whip came directly at Osu from the front trying to shock him with lighting jutsu and capture him with their weapon while the butcher gimp sought to cut off Osu’s escape with a wall of flames. Shields of blood sprang forth to block the strikes from the front while he slammed a wave of blood into the wall of flames to break through and make his escape. Waiting where he broke through however was the butcher gimp. Osu narrowly escaped from the following slash at his legs but he was forced back towards the whip holder. Osu flipped up and planted his feet into the descending ceiling to dodge the horizontal slash made with the whip. Halfway through his hand seals however Osu sensed a heartbeat right above him and sprang to the side.

The broad side of a massive ax burst through the ceiling where Osu had just been standing and before he knew it, two more heartbeats entered the fight and the four surrounded him. No one made a move as the dust and rubble cleared. The identity of one of them captured most of Osu’s attention. “Wh- Chiai?!”

“No honorific!” Chiai exclaimed while blushing a little.

The huge man with the ax chuckled. “Your little boyfriend seems quite surprised to see you Chiai-Chibi. He might almost be relieved if I say we are here on business and not for your pleasure.”

Chiai clearly looked irritated with the large man as she shifted her halberd to where she was pointing it directly at her superior. “Shut up Baka-Priest!” She then turned to Osu with an awkward and guilty smile. “Uhm Osu… -Kun, no honorific is too much, it has been too long. Could you please come with us quietly? There really is no escape for you and I really don’t want to beat you down again. Some things between a man and a woman are too much to do in front of others you know. You should also know that those twins are each as strong as I am and Baka-Priest here is, well, a full priest and not just a trainee.”

Osu was quite clueless as to why any of this was happening. He looked around knowing he really didn’t have an opening to escape. Perhaps if he got down into the water and… The gimp with the whip snapped it in what appeared to be a sign of impatience though the one with the over-sized butcher’s knife put their hand on the other’s shoulder to calm them. Chiai became very visibly angry with the whip gimp but kept her attention on Osu.

The so-called priest seemed bored. “Listen here kid, I can understand your aversion to walking away quietly with people you don’t know and even more so since you are the focus of Chiai-Chibi’s affection. Wouldn’t wish that on my greatest enemy. However, let’s just say your dad is a strict boss and he wants us to bring you back in as few pieces as possible. If you knew anything about him you would understand how out of character that order is and how important you must be for his plans.”

Any intention of fighting or running away suddenly left Osu. He wasn’t sure what he just heard. Or, he did, but he couldn’t quite wrap his mind around it. All shinobi training aside, it is hard to expect a twelve-year-old orphan to remain calm when someone says their father sent for them. The others didn’t let the slip in Osu’s guard go to waste. Chiai knocked Osu onto his back and pinned him down sitting on his chest with his arms pinned by her leg and her free hand as she held her halberd against his neck. The gimp with the whip had managed to bind his legs tightly while he fell and the gimp with the butcher’s knife simply sat cross-legged next to him with the blade pressed against Osu’s stomach. Despite Chiai’s squirming and her embarrassed, blushing and obviously pleased face he knew she as well as the other two were intent on keeping him captured. He wasn’t a front-line fighter in any way and all three of his captors were much stronger than him physically. But rather than hopelessly trying to find a path to escape, Osu remained focus on the priest. “Do you really know who my father is? He told you to do this?”

The twin with the whip appeared to be agitated with how little mind Osu paid them but the priest nodded with a cheery smile. “Probably would have opened up with that if I knew it would be that easy.” He looked around where only the debris of a ship remained and shrugged, “Well got a different sort of quota fulfilled anyway. Yeah kid, you can’t get my position or higher without being on your pop’s good side. Well it isn’t like I get to talk to him directly. Orders from him were passed down to my boss then to me.” Seeing as how Osu appeared to be willingly coming along the huge priest took out a cigar and lit it on some debris that happened to still be on fire and took a long drag to relax himself.

“No offense, but you seem nothing like your father kid. Chiai-Chibi said she saw the resemblance but the kids he has… adopted seem more like him than you do. You look exactly like your mother right down to your bloody pupils but hell you don’t seem anything like her personality-wise either. Really makes one think about that old nature versus nurture thing.”

“You know my moth-“

“Chill kid, your mother has been missing for years. Signs of her only pop up after she is long gone from a place. Anyway, standing out in the middle of the ocean is no place for long conversations. Chiai, prepare the kid for transport while I signal the ship.”

Osu finally turned his attention to Chiai who released one of his arms and brought a pill out from a pouch. She placed it between her lips and began to move in for a kiss, but the gimp with the butcher’s knife stopped the sexual assault by pulling back on Chiai’s hair, taking the pill from her lips and forcing it into Osu’s mouth. Seconds after being forced to swallow the pill Osu felt his consciousness fading fast and began to sink into the water as he couldn’t even maintain his unconscious expenditure of chakra to keep afloat. The last thing he remembered was Chiai starting to throw a fit at the butcher gimp.

When he began to wake up, Osu immediately felt queasy and groggy. He tried to gather chakra but nothing was coming to him and the attempt nearly split his head in two, not in reference to the headache it most certainly gave him, but the fact a scimitar became embedded in his… bed right above where his head lay. With even more effort than it normally does to look around when one first wakes up with a hangover, Osu looked where his guard stood leaning against the wall with several more scimitars and enough arms to carry them all. He didn’t outwardly appear to be paying Osu that much attention, but Osu, with so much calm it surprised himself, laid his head back to where it had been and accepted that for now he couldn’t do much. It seemed likely that his guard would be stronger than himself, the drugs that were circulating in his blood were dosed with him and his bloodline in mind. There was also the fact he was chained down.

At least for now, Osu could try and listen, though even his ability to hear blood was severely dulled. The climate… seemed on the cooler side. As he relaxed further he could faintly hear more heartbeats further away but he couldn’t keep his thoughts together enough to count the number of heartbeats much less figure out physiques or general health. He hadn’t felt this useless since that mission he kept getting… kidnapped. If Osu had more time to continue stumbling down that train of thought, he might have come to realize something particularly odd concerning the frequency he was held captive but Uso chose that moment to regain consciousness as well.

“What… What is… I feel so… so… ugggh. Words. Can’t move. Idiot. Osuteno. Why? Bastard?”

If Osu really had the brain capacity to think more clearly than he did at that moment, he would have been impressed with how Uso could manage that much coherency. All he could manage to reply with was, “Kidnapped.”

A few moments of processing later Uso transmitted her feelings quite clearly with a very slow but impressively long string of profanities. The conversation took longer than either participant was aware of. Osu hadn’t noticed that more people had entered the room and one was poking at his cheek.

The finger was far too close to his face for Osu to have any hope of focusing on it in his current state, so his eyes slowly followed the arm up and saw a grinning Chiai. “Hello there sleeping cutie. How are you feeling since we lowered you dose a bit?”

The vacant expression Osu answered with brought a laugh from the girl. “Look how helpless you are! You can’t give me such a dangerous look Osu-Kun. I. Might. Just. Eat. You. Up.” That last bit was spoken in a low tone right into Osu’s ear, but before he could even register what was being said Chiai was abruptly thrown out of the building.

The butcher gimp from earlier stood with her back towards Osu and staring after the girl she just threw. “You keep trying to ignore your orders not to sexually assault the Blood. This isn’t like you at all, Chiai-San. You are lucky the head priest hasn’t gotten angry with you and simply ordered a couple of us to keep an eye on you when you visit the Blood.”

An angry howl from Chiai was swiftly followed by her halberd that came through the open entrance towards the butcher gimp. Anticlimactically, it was caught by Osu’s multi-armed guard who gave it a slight twirl before tossing it back out and drawing a very audible grunt from Chiai. The blunt side had hit her gut and winded the girl. “Girls, stop causing a fuss,” Osu’s guard said tersely.

Without any fuss both girl’s replied, “Yes Priest-Sama.”

Osu was finally starting to catch up mentally as the girls quietly fussed over whether Chiai was actually trying to assault him or simply giving a playful hello. After a bit of struggling he finally managed to organize his thoughts and ask, “Where is my father?”

The two girls looked at Osu with a look of confusion before Chiai thumped her fist against her palm. “He asked ‘Where is my father?’ That medicine has really done a number on him, hasn’t it? It sounds like he has a mouth full of cotton.” The two girls then turned their heads towards the priest.

Noticing three sets of eyes asking him questions the priest once more gave a curt reply, “Wait for the Blood Moon.”

Chiai turned back towards Osu and said, “Sorry Osu-kun, I can’t say much aside from you will meet Him in a week.”

His question wasn’t answered at all and now he only had more to ask but as long as a priest was watching him it didn’t look like Osu was going to get any answers, even from Chiai. Rather he wasn’t sure why he was expecting Chiai to volunteer information so easily considering she was one of the people who kidnapped him. He wasn’t even sure if he and Chiai were on good terms or not. The last time they saw each other she beat him into a pulp and kissed him was he was losing consciousness. She kept speaking politely to him but also kept… well, she kept assaulting him. Did she like him? If so, why did she seem so eager to help these people kidnap him?

From deep inside his brain Uso called, “Dumbass. Stop fussing over the pervert. Figure out who these assholes are. Argh my head!”

That… Right… What was he doing? He was aware that these people seemed to be of the same religious sect as Chiai and somehow his father had the ability to give their clergy tasks but it never occurred to Osu that he didn’t know what or who they worshipped.

“Who are you-,“ But before Osu could continue with his garbled face sounds, medicine was poured down his throat by the butcher gimp.

“Apologies but it is not yet time for you to be awake. If Chiai-San didn’t take so long to fix her hair we would have been on time.” Once more Osu felt something slip and passed out.

The other three… or rather four in the room watched Osu fall into a deep sleep. Chiai turned towards the butcher gimp and asked, “What was he saying there right before you gave him that medicine?” The butcher gimp simply shrugged and the guard priest simply didn’t care. As far as the three Jashinists could tell it was simply gibberish.
While the two girls left while arguing over how necessary it was for the butcher gimp to comment on Chiai doing a bit of grooming before coming to see Osu and the guard continued making sure no nonsense occurred on his watch, an unnoticed figure gazed down from the shadowed rafters. If you ignored her complete lack of presence and the precise angle in which she sat to be unseen by those below, it would be hard to claim she was hiding at all. Proudly sitting as if she were on a throne, the woman looked down on the sleeping Osu, all the while thumbing through a book that had a rather impressively sinister appearance to it.

For another two days, the woman watched without rest or moving from her spot until it drifted to night once more. She was already aware when the guards would switch shifts, when people ate, did prayers, and most daily habits. Now was probably the best time to act. Gracefully she slipped down from the rafters and silently landed on the floor near the guard. The guard continued staring forward as they had all day, unaware of the illusion they were caught in. Subtle illusions worked best. Like the illusion she placed on the children who, once again, visited to give Osu his medicine, where they only gave him half the dose they were intended to.

In the light of the moon, it was much more obvious that the woman was a beauty. Lovely purple hair dangled down to her shoulders and framed a young and handsome face. The intensity of her red eyes could overwhelm a person in multiple fashions depending on her expression. Right now if one could see her face as she gazed down on the child who inherited her looks they would likely say that she adored the child more than the world and that it inspired more than a little fear.

The woman squatted down in a very unladylike fashion to where her head was level with Osu’s as he slept. Into his ear, she whispered, “Oσθενο.” He didn’t stir. She giggled to herself and once more said, “Oσθενο.” Finally, with the same loving tone but a very dark expression in her face she whispered, “Osuteno. Wake up calmly dear child. Wake up my Osuteno.” She brushed her hands over his face using the little healing she knew to try and stir a reaction.

As Osu opened his eyes he thought he was gazing into a mirror. In fact he was initially gazing into a reflection as the woman wore a small circular mirror from her neck. That just made it even more obvious that the woman’s face looked exactly like his as he stared her in the eyes. As he opened his mouth she interrupted him, “Not now child, your guard won’t be trapped in his illusion forever. It is very important that I read a bit of this book to you and while it may sound strange I need you to open your mind and accept its words. Do you understand?”

Osu stared blankly unsure if this was some sort of dream or trick, but his trusting nature along with the loving look the woman gave him caused him to shake his hand to where his palm was open despite his arms being chained to his sides. “Blood.”

It was the woman’s turn to be confused. She had merely asked him to keep his mind open while she read to him. Still she was more than a little curious. Blood began to seep out of her fingertips without being cut and she placed Osu’s hand inside hers. She felt a slight tug at her mind and she recoiled a little despite herself. It didn’t try to pull her in, it didn’t feel anywhere strong enough to do so, but it was trying to guide her. Osu merely said, “Come in,” with a very exhausted expression. With the next tug at her mind she slipped in.

The woman gaped for the briefest of moments being controlling her expression again. She was surrounded by a wondrous library that was so tall one would have to look straight up to notice the highest levels. Osuteno was just a bit off desperate to make it to a chair so he would have one less thing to focus on. A voice from a bit further in yelled at them. “You bastard! Did you let one of those religious freaks in here? How drugged are you dumbass? It better not be that damn little girlfriend of yours either or I-“

As Uso rounded the corner, leaning against tables as being a purely mental being didn’t stop whatever drug was messing with their head from doing a number on her, she stopped shouting at Osu and went wide-eyed at the sight of the woman. The woman herself turned rather pale as she saw he girl had many features she herself at her age. It… No there was too little time to act. She was quite literally in Osuteno’s… in THEIR mind. All she had to make sure of was…

The woman looked down at her hand which held the tome. It was a rather special book for several reasons, the least of which was that only one copy could exist and one copy would always exist. Various other properties it possessed made it not very surprising that she did manage to bring it inside their mind but it certainly wasn’t the original plan. The woman silently wondered if she could simply…

The woman walked over to a shelf while the two children seemed to be racing through a thousand questions in their minds, removed a book from the shelf, and placed the tome in its place. The little girl suddenly began to catch on that she was falling several steps behind and tried to make up for lost time.

“You are! Are You?! No, what is that book!? How did she bring a book in here? Osuteno you answer me this second!”

Osu, despite being a very bright young lad was simply trying to catch flies with his mouth. Perhaps it was for the best he hadn’t recovered yet as more things began happening. Despite the bookshelves never really caring how they returned books to the shelf before this moment, the library itself seemed dissatisfied. Obviously, this new book was in the wrong section entirely. Magic belonged on the fourth floor after all. Access to the second floor and above was restricted? That can’t be true. After all, a book that belonged on the fourth floor was on the first and it had to get there somehow. At the very least all the floors up to the fourth had to be available.

Thunderous cracks resounded through the library as the massive locks on several doors gave way since proper access had been established. The book, as a measure of convenience, shot through the air and made its way to the proper section while Uso shrieked, “The second floor is open!” She did this while shaking Osu half to death. There were too many things happening at once to make proper sense of the situation. If this wasn’t real life and instead some piece of literature Osu would have a few words to say to the author about pacing. At the very least this swift influx of characters and organizations without any real lead up was rather rough on him. But life very seldom has a proper sense of timing or prose.

The woman who seemed to know what was going on appeared to be done with whatever she was planning to do for now. She turned to the two and said gently, “Alright there is much to do and so little time to do it. Child stop shaking your brother so much, it is very unladylike despite how cute it is that attached so attached to him. Osuteno take proper care of your sister and listen carefully. I will give you the rest of your dose when I leave so no suspicions are raised. You are not to say a word should you get the chance, which isn’t very likely. On the night of the blood moon you are to do as the priests say and… meet your father. I will step in when the time comes and you will be coming with me. Now how do I… ahh so I can leave anytime I desire. Very good.”

The woman poofed out of Osu’s head without giving the children a chance to react at all. By the time Uso had managed to recover and force Osu to exit their mind and try to get some answers the medicine was already trickling down his throat. It was very unfair.

The woman gently brushed Osu’s hair as he passed out, her adoration even greater than before. Everything was falling into place almost as if she didn’t need to do anything at all. The potential rewards were increasing and long unconfirmed theories were displaying results. It was almost as if she were destined to succeed. She smirked when she realized for a moment she believed fate could possibly exist. As she made her departure from the Jashinist base it was hard to not suspect some other force at work than her own.

“How in the world did that child develop such a complex inner mind? Does it have something to do with his sister’s soul existing there as well? I have so much to ask them once they are mine again… Both of them…” She dwelled on that last thought until she was a safe distance away. Her breathing turned a bit ragged and her complexion was paler. She pulled out a packet of powder and swallowed it before sitting down to rest.

For a while she sat there recovering and staring in the direction of where her children slept. The fact that it was children and not child was still drilling at her mind. “I should have named her back then…” Not that it would have done much good. Even if she had known the girl’s soul had attached itself to Oσθενο rather than perishing there would have been no way for her to have known that name after they were left with those idiots of Kumogakure. Raiden’s folly, she had even left those fools a note with Oσθενο’s name on it and they had butchered it to Osuteno. Well she didn’t truly expect everyone in Kumogakure to known that tongue. Her own mother only knew a bit of the Old tongue and she herself knew even less. At the very least they could have instructed the boy on his proper name.

The woman shook her head and began thinking about more important details. When she had left their mindscape, the tome had indeed vanished from her hands. Chances were that it would be multitudes more effective this way, but she (if only a little) did regret not having it in her possession any longer. Later, she would have to see if it were possible to recover it.

Her heart began to hurt again and a different powder was ingested. That recurring pain was a reminder she didn’t really need at this point. Every reach for power would have its cost. It was mostly about risk management and how much one was willing to give up. She was sure her plan would succeed at this stage, the problem came after that. Gods were many things powerful, most had mortal beginnings as far as she was aware which made them very human in their actions, and most importantly gods were immortal. They weren’t at all omnipotent from her experiences. It was indeed possible to lie to them, to trick them. She would succeed once more in stealing from Jashin, and far more this time. The problem with gods happened to be that they were very human apart from their immortality and power. They became very upset when things didn’t go their way.

The best option at this point was to keep moving and acting to limit the form in which vengeance could take. The woman regained a bit of her strength and stood once more. She knew when and where their little ritual would take place for a very long time. She had been the one to tell them how it needed to be done after all.

The next time Osu woke up, the evening sun was beginning to set and there was a lot of movement. Osu didn’t know it but every member of this particular Jashinist sect had returned for the Blood Moon. Several dozen trainees ran around following the directions of the priests in preparation for the ritual. In no way were lunar tetrads common and preparation for this day actually began around 14 years ago. Everything had to be perfect.

Osu, in his clueless state, simply wondered if tonight was the night he would apparently meet his father. Normally he would have been far more suspicious of that point but between Chiai, who for some reason Osu was sure wouldn’t lie to him, and that woman from the other day, who Uso had just confirmed was not a dream and had indeed put some strange unintelligible book in their head, he felt like the part of meeting his father was the most truthful part of all this. Uso, who Osu would have sworn would be more practical about all this and insist that they escape, was hesitant and very nervous about this entire situation. Neither of them mentioned the fact that the woman the other day insisted they were siblings with absolute surety and what that, as well as her appearance, implied about her identity.

On a serious note though, despite being trained as a shinobi, Osu was only twelve years old. You couldn’t kidnap him, drug him constantly for who knows how long, drop in the fact his parents are indeed alive and around, mix in some religious cult a girl who inspires weird feelings inside of him is part of, throw in the fact the very mean girl in his head is his sister, put a mysterious magic thing inside his head, and leave him chained to a bed under 24-hour supervision and expect him to have a handle on the situation. This situation was the exact opposite of handled. How was Osu supposed to know what to do, if he was in any position to do anything that is. He was chained, guarded by nameless and obnoxiously big people with sharp objects, and couldn’t get hold of his chakra because of whatever drug he was flooded with. Most his physical capabilities came from some creative manipulation of his blood with chakra. Without that he might as well be… well a stronger than average twelve-year-old chained to a bed. Blood manipulation aside, he wasn’t some crazy strong taijutsu specialist anyway, metal chains would be too much to ask him to break without ninjutsu.

Completely overwhelmed by everything that seemed to be rushing him, Osu resigned himself to whatever the hell was going on. It was about this time that Chiai popped in. “Happy birthday Osu-Kun!” Correction, he was a thirteen-year-old without a clue. Much better.

“Thank you very much Chiai,” Osu replied with all the fucks he had possessed before missing. “Tell me what exactly do you all worship?”

Chiai completely missed the fact all emotion was gone from Osu’s voice and completely focused on the fact he once more addressed her without an honorific. Blushing, smiling and fidgeting excitedly Chiai answered, “We worship the Great Lord Jashin, O-Oh-Oss-Osu. Osu… Osu… Osu.”

Osu had no idea who Jashin was. Still, this was progress. Also, saying his name without an honorific seemed to be very enjoyable for Chiai. It was at this moment that he noticed it was just he and her alone for once. Where did his guard go? Well he might as well try to use this time effectively. “Chiai, could you tell me about this Blood Moon thing?”

“Yes Osu,” Chiai was beaming at this point. “You have probably noticed but we have had a series of solar eclipses the last couple years. This is because we are going through a lunar tetrad, where four lunar eclipses occur with six full moons in between, and no intervening partial lunar eclipses. Some centuries you might have several tetrads while at other times you can go half a millennium without one. During normal lunar eclipses that Lord Jashin can touch the world more than usual. However, the eclipses of the lunar tetrad, also known as blood moons, allow more of his power in with each successive eclipse. The fourth and final blood moon is when his power can most fully touch this world. As you might imagine, this isn’t a very common occurrence. Not every lunar tetrad is visible to us to do such rituals should they not be visible from where our temple or if weather prevents up from getting a strong connection. Even rarer this time is that the blood moon is also what is commonly referred to as a super moon. In other words, the moon is going to be extremely close tonight. I don’t know about other sects, but ours is taking this very seriously.”

Osu nodded. He understood that rare cosmological events were taken very seriously in some religions and this one appeared to have a… well… an astronomically low chance of occurring. “What is your sect planning to accomplish tonight then? And how is my father involved?”

Chiai crossed her arms and closed her eyes with an expression like she was trying hard to come up with a clear explanation. “Well… tonight… Your father and, to a lesser extent, you are the main players tonight. You will meet your father, your worth will be judged, and then you will act as a conduit for Lord Jashin’s power.” Osu was amazed at how normal she made all of that sound.

“I will be a conduit? Why am I being judged? My father who I have never met will be judging me or this Jashin or who? What am I being judged on?” This was starting to sound more dangerous the more Chiai explained.

“Well yes you will be the conduit considering you were conceived by making sacrifices to Lord Jashin with the date of your birth timed so on the night of this Blood Moon you would turn thirteen. So yes to both marks, your father Lord Jashin will judge you. When He judges you worthy he will give you power and you will be groomed to lead our sect and help bring about the next age of slaughter.”

Osu stared blankly at Chiai.

“And after you become one of us we can get married. Oh! I don’t want you to misunderstand, I do respect you as one of the Lord Jashin’s direct blood and that was why I initially traveled with you, but that time we fought… when your blood cut me and engulfed me, as you seeped under my skin, and when I felt you under my fist is when I fell in love with you Osuteno. That scene of pure violence we painted into that white snow using our blood is why I am sure Jashin will judge you worthy. You have the beauty of destruction inside you more than anyone.”

Osu stared blankly at Chiai.

“And normally our sect doesn’t have marriage or allow us to have children but as a child of Jashin I am sure you can be an exception and-“

“Chiai,” Osu finally managed.

“Oh I’m sorry, I just got so flustered at the thought and got a bit carried away. What is it da-darli-… Osu.”

He had to be very careful now. Too many red flags were waving about everything. If he ever made it back to the village, he might never willingly leave it again.

“Chiai, what happens if…” Osu had no idea how he was supposed to address this ridiculous cult’s deity since they thought Osu was its son, “if I were to be judged unworthy.”

“That couldn’t happen,” Chiai said confidently.

“Chiai. Tell me what would happen.” Osu was having one of those rare moments where his patience was running very thin.

“Goodness if you speak like that it makes me think you would instead beat me down if we fought right now!” Chiai said with a rather embarrassed and flushed expression. “In the impossible case that occurred you could still be used as a conduit for the energy but instead of you keeping it, your life would be extinguished and the power that would be yours would be given to Jashin’s most devout practitioners at the ritual. In other words, should Lord Jashin be pleased, the full priests and priestesses would likely receive more of his blessing.”

This was bad. More than a little, this was very, very bad.

“And on what sort of basis will I be judged?”

“Lord Jashin is the god of slaughter, and he loves death, general violence and entertainment, usually in the forms of combat or torture. So, he will likely use how violent you have been to judge you.”

This couldn’t get worse. He was a doctor for Raiden’s sake. How what he did daily was the opposite of slaughter aside, Osu was having trouble puzzling out the identity of the phenomenon Chiai was describing. Osu wasn’t irreligious, he often threw a prayer to Raiden, but he also didn’t believe the gods would intervene directly just because they were called upon, holy dates or not. Every god he prayed to had been mortal at some point so he believed they understood the importance of letting people lead their own fates. In truth was the judgement a ruse and they had some method of human sacrifice that drained strength from the victim and passed it on? He couldn’t really expect Chiai to help him out of this since she firmly believed he would be fine.

There was still a light of hope in all of this. A woman who almost had to be his mother at least seemed like she was going to interfere with this ritual when the timing was right. From the way his mother spoke though, his father would indeed be there. Was he one of the cult leaders manipulating the rest? No matter how he looked at it, if his father was somehow involved in all of this, he probably wasn’t a good person.

While Osu was trying to apply reason to the situation, someone else was starting to lose their grip on reason. All this talk about judgement pulled at Uso’s thoughts and she eventually remembered an event that she had long repressed. When they had drowned inside a giant heart a few years back. The hallucination she had then…

The sky had been pitch black except for the light of an eternal Blood Moon. For as far as the eye could see there was nothing but a sea of blood not that anyone's vision could penetrate so far in the unnatural place. There was but one place that stood out, a marble square without decoration except for a simple throne bathed in red. Atop the throne sat a monochrome figure of such a frightening countenance words fail to do his smile justice. To make the attempt anyway, the smile was the product of true nightmares. The emotions it evoked were those from the blackest depths of man's terror. The horror of the nightmare where one's family is held hostage by a murder clown and have to choose between the lives of their family and a mad dash for survival and choose to flee only to be caught anyway and beaten to death with their own skull. The sort of sickening sensation of opening ones eyes to find that they are covered and slowly being consumed by centipedes. The crawling insanity that pulls at you in a nightmare where one is being chased by an unseen assassin and no matter how long or how far they run they can never see their stalker or escape the pressure of its gaze, commit suicide to seek relief and only find that the gaze had been waiting in hell for them all along. But at the time his smile did not reach his eyes. Uso remembered crawling to the bloody sea not to find her reflection but untold numbers of the dead with their arms raised as if trying to escape their fate. The monochrome man’s voice raised every heckle and goosebump on her body and gazing into his eyes turned her hair from black to white. She remembered the figure saying she and Osu were dull to watch, disappointing. He expressed his wish that they try harder to entertain him before he picked them up by their heads and plunged them into the bloody sea where the dead reached up to claw at them. Briefly before she woke up she had seen a mark of a circle within a triangle on every skull.

It had to have been a nightmare. That thing couldn’t exist for real. Uso was panicking. Simply from remembering that nightmare her survival instincts simultaneously kicked in and crashed, paralyzing her with fear. From deep inside the library of their mind Uso quietly said, “Osu?”

Osuteno, partially shocked because Uso had not called him Osu since… ever, stopped trying to reason these events out. “What is it… Uso?” He thought back.

“We need to leave. He… Their god is bad news. Please.”

Both saying please and the act of pleading were things Uso had never done before. Despite usually being the one telling him to keep it together, she was more than a little afraid. Had Uso ever openly shown fear like this? Did she believe they would really meet some sort of slaughter god?

Chiai, who had been oddly patient and cheerful while Osu tried to think everything through, spoke up while checking the light outside. “Well Osu, looks like it is almost time. I’m sure you will do great! Well if they catch me in here flirting with you instead of preparing I might lose a hand. Bye!” It had never occurred to Osu before, but Chiai was a rather carefree girl. Not one part of her could see how this wouldn’t go in Osu’s favor. He didn’t really need that kind of support. In his current predicament, he would have far preferred Chiai to have no confidence in him whatsoever and help him escape whatever fate a slaughter cult inflicted on its victims. Slaughter obviously, but as for the method he was in the dark which left him with far too much freedom of imagination.

He didn’t have to wait very long. His multi-armed guard from before and a rather thin and lanky man covered in needles came to retrieve him. As he was wrapped up in arms on one side of his original guard and carried out of the building that had been his prison Osu had several thoughts mostly aimed at distracting himself from how helpless he currently was. Things like a tooth capsule with a general-purpose antidote or metabolism quickening medication being a sound investment and that this Jashinist cult was more popular than he would have guessed for a religion he had never heard of before. From an outside perspective, it might be unusual that he hadn’t heard of it before except when one realizes that Osu didn’t really have anyone to scare him into being a good child by using tales of the Jashinist dragging away naughty children and the conversation just never came up in his thirteen years of life. While it is understandable how he made it this long without hearing about them, it was turning out to be a rather dangerous piece of ignorance.

If appearances meant anything, most the people here were trainees like Chiai. Of course, with this many trainees the very small number of clergy stood out more. There was also a concerning issue that among the priests and priestesses there seemed to be noticeable age gaps between each. “The number of trainees doesn’t add up,” Osu mumbled quietly.

“With the rise of each new member of the clergy there is a glorious tribute,” the man carrying him began explaining without warning. “When enough are eligible they are painted in the ceremonial patterns, they are locked within the church and then they use one another to display their love for Lord Jashin. Unfortunately, the next group won’t have enough until the year after next. We should have delayed the last one to have occurred this year.” However, the man lived his life to have a voice reminiscent of a rockslide, it really forced one to note every word with some sense of importance. Especially when you realized he was talking about what seemed to be a good 40 people being dropped to one if he was guessing the age groups correctly. That the selection wasn’t occurring this year seemed to be a point of contention as the lanky man rolled his eyes and someone nearby groaned as it was brought up.

Everyone, including the involuntary Osu, were making their way to a one story, but considerably large stone structure with no windows or outside decoration aside from a triangle within a circle above the doorway. That… was probably the church. He could smell death all over the place. Fantastic, he was worried this situation wasn’t ominous enough.

The next few minutes went by rather quickly. Osu, still chained up, was placed on a raised altar exposed to the sky, incense was being burned, scrolls were rolled out and marked with blood, chants were starting up. Oddly for a slaughter cult no human sacrifices were being made but that just made Osu focus more on the note he was chained and resting on an altar. If you couldn’t tell who the human sacrifice is at the cult ritual… well it was very likely you. He did need to try and be a bit more optimistic, maybe the super ultra-rare, not going to happen in the next millennia astrological anomaly was one of those ritual events that didn’t involve a sacrifice for the staby, slashy murder cult.

Seven? There were only seven priests and priestesses as far as he could tell. Maybe that was a lot considering the age range. Keeping calm by giving himself a thought puzzle, Osu guessed that for one to be eligible to be clergy they had to at least be sixteen. If it wouldn’t be for two more years… Osu looked at the youngest priestess for a bit. They likely performed the selection every four years. That meant Chiai for instance wouldn’t be up for her trial for six more years. He didn’t really want to consider the possibility that Chiai would be locked up in this place for some sort of slaughter fest. Osu realized he had regained most of his senses by this point, but still didn’t even consider escape possible. He didn’t even entertain the idea he could take on any of the clergy in a one on one fight much less seven on one and he would likely be killed before he could remove the chains. There was still his… that woman who looked remarkably like him out there somewhere. She told him to just sit and wait and unlike him she seemed to have a plan. Independent action could very likely ruin his only hope for getting out of here alive.

A bit too sudden for comfort another heartbeat seemed to just pop into existence beside him. From the man’s outfit, which was the only one he saw that bore any real sense of decoration, and the fact he was by far the oldest person here with some grey in his hair, Osu believed this was the Head Priest.

If Osu couldn’t see the crazy looking scythe the man held and lacked knowledge about the crazy killing cult, he might have thought this was just a kind oji-san. The kind looking uncle reached down, placed his hand on Osu’s chains, and crushed them with a gentle squeeze.

… Alright then. With a twist and a flick of his wrist the uncle destroyed several links of the chain and freed Osu, if only physically. He motioned for Osu to sit up, and the chains were tossed to the side.

“I thank you for not making any move to run off, I may have stopped aging many years ago but I still feel like an old man. Catching you would have been a bit of a chore. I am sure you have many questions young… I believe I was told your name is Osuteno these days, but we have little time until we need to begin.”

Osuteno

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Osu wasn’t even sure where he would begin and only managed to stare at the uncle for a bit.

With a chuckle the priest began again, “Looking at you, it isn’t hard to realize so many years have passed. I still remember the ritual where Lord Jashin blessed that traitorous mother of yours with you. You look so much like her… Must be tough for a young lad to look so feminine. I was even there for your birth. We were very hopeful for you at the time you see. She was originally blessed with twins but early on, as the doctor we procured described it, you absorbed your twin. The Head Priestess at the time joked quite joyfully that this child of our great lord had performed his first kill before he was even born. Very good omen as we saw it.”

Osu wasn’t quite sure what to say. His thoughts had shifted to Uso who was likewise rather stunned. Could that have been her origin? Was this the reason that woman called her his sister? It was hard to imagine otherwise. But scientifically it wasn’t making sense to Osu. He had heard of vanishing twin syndrome but people didn’t have their vanished twin locked up in their heads because of it.

The old man looked up at the sky again. “I truly do pray you are worthy of your Father’s blessing child. Our sect doesn’t know another way to produce His direct offspring and He picks who to adopt Himself. We can always raise new clergy but the world is changing. I don’t know how other sects are doing but ours needs the strength of a true son or daughter to spread his influence, glory and message.”

Did this priest also truly believe he was the child of this god of theirs? And thinking back on it the man said he had stopped aging. He knew a couple people who had managed such a phenomenon but was the influence of their god actually strong enough to do so? If so how did the last Head die? Murder, probably murder, he instantly realized. At least some sort of sacrifice could be involved. Wait was he considering their god might exist now? He needed to calm down, he had seen nothing for sure that would suggest so. But what would happen to him if they tried this ritual of theirs and nothing happened? When was that woman going to intervene?

“It is about time to begin.” The Head Priest said barely hiding his excitement as he stared at the moon gaining shadow. “Clergy, step up to the altar!” Soon Osu was surrounded by eight people holding sharp and freakish looking weapons. “Could you hold out your palm for me young man?” The priest continued as he brought out what could be seen as a sacrificial dagger. Hesitantly Osu did so wondering when this rescue was going to start. The man cleanly made a cut in Osu’s palm where blood began pooling and then dabbed his thumb in the blood. The other clergy also dabbed their thumbs in Osu’s blood. Unsure if it was fine or not, Osu watched has his natural healing sealed up the small cut. Everyone began staring at the moon and Osu, for the first time tonight, took a good look himself.

The most obvious thing he noticed was that the moon was much larger than usual. That alone was impressive, but for a total eclipse to be occurring tonight as well would have been a novel sight under normal circumstances. Prefect for a camping trip up the mountain or such. He had originally intended to be out camping and fishing tonight, so in another world this would have been quite serendipitous.

Now however he was growing nervous as the moon began to take on the reddish tint they sometimes do during total eclipses. It was probably his nerves getting to him, but the moon looked much more red than it should. As the last sliver was starting to go dark the priest placed Osu’s blood in his mouth and motioned the others to do the same. Right before Osu’s eyes, black and white marks covered each of their bodies. The trainees all began kneeling and praying, cutting themselves even. All too late Osu began thinking that this ritual could possibly accomplish something.

The moon came to a complete eclipse and the eight clergy members raised various black daggers and stakes and stabbed themselves in the gut. Pain shot through Osu as he coughed up blood. Rather he couldn’t notice the stabbing sensation in his gut because his blood seemed to become fire. The world around him went dark, except for the moon. The moon became a brilliant blood red that shone in the pure darkness that surrounded it and him. When he realized the screaming he heard was in stereo, Osu looked next to him and saw Uso was next to him. What?

As he calmed down he saw he didn’t have an injury in his gut, Uso was apparently out of his head, and they were no longer in the altar room. As he blinked he realized they weren’t sitting on anything. Everything was darkness except for them, the moon, and a monochrome figure that had its back to them. Uso somehow ended up behind Osu and was hugging his back tightly as if she were trying to use him to shield herself from the figure. Her breathing was rather hoarse and she was shaking violently. Seemed like a rather intense panic attack. Did she know something he didn’t?

“It figures. On such a beautiful night, I have to deal with the pair of you again,” the figure sighed. The bloodlust Osu felt despite the man not really making a move overwhelmed everything about himself.

“Out of the few children I have, I see the rabbit and the parasite. Dull.” The figure seemed to be looking down on something as he lifted a gourd and drank from it.

“That mother of yours was a very good liar you know. Even though she didn’t worship me she sought me out and sang a pretty tune. She told a tale of how with my blood mixed with hers would create a truly entertaining child. She herself was quite entertaining so I believed her. I knew she simply wanted my power to accomplish some goal or another but that just added to my expectations. Then after you were born she vanished with you. Obviously, that wasn’t part of the deal.” He took another chug from the gourd and while his tone didn’t change it was clear the figure wasn’t happy.

“My followers and I couldn’t find her much less figure out what she did with you. Out of irritation I removed my blessing from the priestess who oversaw you at the time. The current head of that sect killed her and promised to find you in time for tonight. Luckily, I suspected your mother might try to do something. One of the children offered to me the night you were conceived was born under interesting stars. Instead of taking her soul physically I instead bound a bit of her soul to you. Fate is a very interesting force you see. I can’t predict it or change it, but I know some of the devices it uses. If the girl was free to act on her own she would eventually find her way to you. Unfortunately, that appears to have been more effort than it was worth.” He finally turned around and Osu stopped breathing as he met the man’s eyes.

“I found your souls dying a few years ago and brought you to my realm. You boy were still too much on the side of the living to wake but the parasite only barely counts as a living soul. I brought her there completely and examined your lives. I couldn’t believe you were born with such a strong bloodlust and you chose to become a doctor. Your mother simply dropped you off into the village that Raiden founded and left you to be a shinobi. That might have been fine in its own way if you truly became a warrior but the few you have killed bring you regret. Goes to show blood isn’t everything.”

He seemed to have emptied the gourd as he tossed it aside and got up. He slowly walked towards Osu and Uso. “Well you should consider yourself lucky, I don’t usually speak to mortals, much less tell them about themselves. Let’s get this over with. You were sent to me to be judged after all.” The man stopped in front of the two children who only managed to remain sitting up because they were leaning on each other. He squatted down to Osu’s eye level and simply said, “You fail.”

Osu’s life did not flash before his eyes, he didn’t have any last words or thoughts or gasps, he just stared into Jashin’s eyes. Jashin pulled back his arm with his fingers pointing towards Osu’s chest and jabbed it through both Osu’s and Uso’s hearts, killing both of their souls.

Being such disappointments they didn’t even deserve to be tortured in the afterlife and he didn’t want to risk another god getting them instead. The issue was that he hadn’t killed either of the children as intended and that for some reason his hand stopped inside Osu’s heart and he couldn’t pull it out. In front of him a book appeared and opened to a familiar page. As he read it he sighed. It was the contract he made with that thieving harlot. The contract she just tricked him into violating when he damaged it. She had turned her child into the vessel containing the contract and by harming him... His eyes glanced through the contract and he realized what her plan had been the entire time.

Jashin focused his attention back into Osu’s eyes and said, “I’m greatly annoyed and slightly impressed.”

Back down in the mortal realm the clergy were having an intense spiritual experience. They could feel the presence of their Lord as they were linked to Osu through the curse. Until something felt wrong. They all realized in one moment that if they remained connecting to the boy they would die. All but one caught the instinct in time. The priest who covered his body in spikes fell over dead. His chest had a hole in it.

A feminine voice laughed from above them and the Head Priest knew before he looked who it belonged to. “Chigokai Kitsune, how wonderful. I was worried you died years ago and would miss your son’s big day.”

Sitting on the roof and looking down into the altar room Osu’s mother seemed very pleased. “But I wouldn’t miss this day for the world Onryo. Did you become the head priest after I left? Really coming up in the world.”

“Yes, your unexpected departure earned my predecessor the Lord’s discontent and lost all of his blessings.”

“What a shame that is. She was very easy to manipulate. It seems right now that your Lord isn’t very pleased, is he?” The way she smiled at the dead priest’s corpse dispelled all doubts in his mind that the woman had interfered with the ritual somehow.

“What did you do?” All pretense of pleasantness was gone from his voice and Chigokai Kitsune’s friendly smile turned into a sneer.

“I did nothing. I just came to collect on the contract Jashin broke.”

The head priest’s eyes went wide with fury. He was the first to close the distance between them and the mocking woman. Midway through the air a long bloody nail extended from her hand and was aimed at his chest. He didn’t bother dodging, he couldn’t die from something so simple as having his heart pierced. He rammed right through and brought his scythe up to behead the woman. Then he fell to his knees.

“Wha-?”

“You rely too much on your god. Right now, he is being forced to give our child his blood.” He stared the bitch in the eyes as she sneered at him. “If your predecessor lost her blessings just for losing track of us, why would you think he is any less displeased with you right now?”

The man named Onryo realized the truth of her words and stared back at his chest. He no longer had the… He fell over, dead.

This was more than a little disturbing to those watching from below. The head priest had lost the Lord’s blessings? A priestess cut a nearby trainee and tried to use a curse. Nothing happened. The multi-armed priest realized that his Lord considered them failures and, unable to live with the shame, ripped out his own heart. Panic started erupting among the trainees and the clergy began understanding one by one that they had lost everything. Two of them stared down the Chigokai woman and moved to kill her. Another collapsed into prayer. One smashed the head of the one who began praying to the god who abandoned them. And the last began slashing through the trainees in madness.

Meanwhile, through all the pandemonium, Chiai moved to where Osu lay. She was having trouble understanding when everything started going wrong. She saw a few of the other trainees defending themselves against a Priest while a Priestess who had just killed another member of the clergy part the room in front of her as she left. Two others went to the roof after Osu’s mother and he was laying there not moving, surrounded by dead clergy. Chiai didn’t really know what she was doing, but without anything else to go on she kept moving towards Osu, shoving other trainees out of the way.

She stepped over the man who had overseen her training from a young age, who watched her first kill and sent her out on her pilgrimage mission, her mission to find Osu. She hesitated briefly as she realized without the blessing the man would not serve their Lord in the afterlife. It was no wonder he killed himself she thought as she glanced at the crushed heart in his hand. Her thoughts shifted back to Osu as she made the final steps. He didn’t seem to be moving at all, but… Chiai brought out her halberd and held the blade near Osu’s mouth. It fogged up a little. Feeling a bit more relieved than before Chiai examined the room around them. Almost everyone either left or they were dead. There were a couple trainees still cowering or in shock and not a single living member of the clergy remained in the room.

Panic would not leave Chiai alone for long as Osu’s body began to spasm. Fallen back into a state of confusion, Chiai climbed on top of the altar and tried to keep Osu from hurting himself. Suddenly Osu began to glow… dark? Could darkness glow? Statements that could give a physicist an aneurism aside, Chiai felt waves of pain that forced her to separate from Osu. The spasms grew worse and the altar below Osu began losing color, then it began to decay. The theme of tonight’s show was showing itself again, very clearly on Chiai’s face. Sometimes so much shit hits the fan at once you can only stand still and hope none of it hits you.

Back in whatever realm of existence Osu and Uso were visiting, Jashin was irritably twisting around his fingers in Osu’s chest. Extremely painful? Yes. Would it destroy Osu’s soul? No. Jashin explained as much while mumbling about how he didn’t have to keep an agreement with a mortal. Then Jashin’s eyes lit up with a smile. Osu dry vomited in fear and his mind tried to pass out for the umpteenth time but Jashin willed Osu to stay awake. “I have good news for you, despite your mother’s petty use of semantics I have decided to honor my agreement with her. For backing out on the contract I will disband the sect that mediated our agreement…” Osu had no way of knowing this was the start of much excitement back in the mortal realm. “I shall leave your souls and bodies unmarked and living…” As if to make a point as to where this was going, Osu and Uso began feeling like they were being electrocuted from this point on. “And I shall give you my blood. Be careful with it, it is quite willful you see.” Jashin sneered at the boy who would receive the brunt of his annoyance despite the sin being the mother’s.

Jashin opened both of Osu’s wrists and one of his own with a thought and as his own blood flooded out one of Osu’s wrist Jashin’s poured into the other. As a medic Osu should normally have a comment on why this shouldn’t work, but Gods don’t really care for how mortals practice medicine. That, and Osu was so beyond terrified that his mind had been trying to shut down for some time now.

“And for some last-minute gifts… what isn’t necessary to live again? Can’t mark your skin so… Ah! This will be much more fun than simply killing you. I should leave those things alone so you can still feel pain though.” Osu suddenly went limp. He already lost his ability to sit up but now he was reminiscent of a stringless puppet.

“Our deal is done, depart. I have other sacrifices to receive.”

Osu’s and Uso’s souls fell back to the mortal realm and after Osu’s body briefly regained consciousness he gave off a voiceless scream and finally fainted with his eyes wide open. The miasma that his body had been exuding began to calm though the damage to the altar under him, and his clothing for that matter, had been done. The effects on his clothes were the easiest to see. They had been drained of vibrancy and all that was left was a monochrome palette. The material appeared to have lost something as well, strength or durability.

Chiai received a massive shock to her heart when Osu’s pained eyes had opened and was shaking after he fell back limb with his eyes staring at nothing. Her hands were tremoring as she went to touch Osu’s face. Was… was Osu dead? She lifted his head up slightly in disbelief when she heard something crack. Osu woke up shrieking again as his head disconnected from his shoulders and pulled on his spinal cord. Blood veins were dancing around everywhere from where his neck had separated and Chiai fainted while dropping Osu’s head back onto the decayed altar. The veins slowly reconnected his neck but Osu was obviously having a very bad time of it. This was honestly beyond any sort of injury or healing he had ever demonstrated before however. His mother also reappeared to witness this. Even though she was short an ear and the hair that had been around it, she appeared to be in a good (though conflicted) mood as she saw the prize she had won. Well, she hadn’t expected Jashin to let her get her way entirely, she would just need to come up with some creative solutions to use what she had.

Osu’s mother hopped down to her son’s side. She kicked the little girl who was oddly on top of her son out of the way and brought out a large container from a scroll. Carefully adjusting a blood prison to pick Osuteno’s weight up evenly, she managed to place him in the container without tearing him more. It would be hard to tell just how much damage had been done until she got him back to her lab. Before she departed with Osu she turned to the effectively empty room and gave a bow to thank the cult for all their hard work in making her plan a success. A lady must always give credit where credit is due.

Act 2

About a month after the ritual Osu was finally well enough to remain conscious for more than a few minutes at a time. He had also finally stopped having nightmares every time he went to sleep which probably what allowed him to finally get enough rest to stay awake. The woman, who was indeed the woman who gave birth to him, was named Chigokai Kitsune. It was a very old family name that used to be passed down to signify the leadership of Kumogakure Chigokai clan’s main family, much like how the name Ookami is now. Really everything began some 400 odd years beforehand.

To make a long story short the leader of the clan at the time (The 87th to hold the name Chigokai Kitsune), while certainly the most powerful in the family and the first-born daughter of the previous head, was rather expansionist in her views and more than a little unstable. The genetic trait that gave some Chigokai an extra dose of joy at the sound of spilling blood was particularly strong in her and made her rather free in her distribution of execution within the clan for. Osu’s mother, like himself, also had this trait but she lamented that only fools get caught up in euphoria so her downfall was only to be expected. That clan head’s younger sister, the first Chigokai Ookami and a few Branch heads rebelled and killed her in an ambush. However, they failed to kill Chigokai Kitsune’s daughter who fled into hiding. The village of the time kept its hands out of inner clan conflict and no clan wants the humiliation of admitting it can’t handle its own issues so nothing was done from that side.

Of course, being denied one’s place of power by traitors leads to bad blood. *badum tish* Generations later, about 70 years ago, the Chigokai Kitsune (107th to hold the name) of that time starting dealing with a Jashinist cult who believed the tales that Jashin was a Chigokai in his time, and that as the true heir of the Chigokai they believed her to be his descendent. Chigokai Kitsune (107th) of course had no delusions and knew how unlikely that was but did not turn away the advantage and there was a relationship as good as one could hope to get with a slaughter cult. Two generations later his mother inherited the name and was told that she was a genius constantly by her mother, that she must be the one to finally take their rightful place back as the clan leadership. His mother wasn’t particularly interested but she did want to test her power against the line that defeated her ancestor even if it was through trickery. Planning was a skill of its own after all and she did not see it as particularly underhanded. She didn’t use the Jashinist in her plan as her mother and grandmother intended however. “A family dispute is one thing, but the village would be more than certain to intervene if you bring a group of cultist along.”

So about 16 years ago his mother went to the main clan grounds, announced her identity and demanded an audience with Chigokai Ookami (18th to hold the name and 105th Clan head of the Chigokai). The Clan Head had been told the tale by her mother that generally was kept quiet from the rest of the clan and was helplessly curious to learn the fate of our missing branch, or so she said when they met. That night we had dinner together along with the clan head’s daughter, the four Minor Branch Heads and the heir to the Second Branch. Very casually during dinner his mother mentioned she would like to have the position of clan head that was rightfully hers. The heir to the Second Branch unfortunately took those as fighting words and was killed swiftly by his mother’s counter attack. The dinner was obviously ruined beyond recovery at that point. A fight broke out and after a few minutes his mother had to retreat due to severe injuries, however not before killing the then Clan Head along with the Second and Fourth Branch Leaders. That night lead to the current Chigokai Ookami (19th to etcetera etcetera) to step up as Clan Head and the internal power struggle over who would take the seat of the Second Branch head since both the head and the only heir died.

“Luckily for me, the clan couldn’t afford to let it be known that a single woman had been in a room with seven of the strongest members of the clan and escaped after killing four of them. I… was forever weakened by my injuries and had to admit to myself that I wouldn’t be able to be the one who reclaimed the seat of Clan Head. You have likely seen me consume a little packet of powder now and again, my old injuries really got to me for the last few weeks after fighting those cultists. My own mother died when I inherited the name so I had to think to think for a while about why I had done such a foolish thing to begin with. Carrying such a grudge for centuries is more than a little silly if you think about it. Then I realized that the one goal I truly shared with my foremothers was that I wished for my line to have power. The most obvious path to our ancestors was regaining our control over a rather powerful clan but I decided to try a less conventional method.”

The whistling of a tea kettle sounded and his mother left for a minute at a part Osu was rather curious to hear. Basic deduction told him the circumstances around his birth was coming up. His mother came back with two cups of tea and assisted him in drinking it. “Blink your left eye for me to stop and the right if you want to drink more. Now I was… Yes, when I returned to the cult. As I mentioned I was more than a little injured and it had honestly been a miracle I made it back in one piece. The fact I killed several of my relatives humored the cult head, though they mocked me more than a little for lacking their durability. Full Jashinist you see are rather hard to kill and you are likely to kill yourself if they curse you successfully. Rumors have it as among the oldest kinjutsu and honestly it has about the simplest method to acquire, though don’t mistake that for easiest. All it requires a person to do is to follow Jashin’s religion and earn his favor. The benefits are obvious but I found there were many other paths to power I would rather take, as did my mother and her mother. You should know from seeing them that they are insane to an individual. The desire to slaughter as many as one can for their god for a variety of… I don’t want to call it immortality but if there was such a thing as a careful Jashinist they could probably live as long as they want… Anyway, that inspires a rather twisted mindset. Here let me cool your tea a little. Is no sugar fine? Your tastes are just like mine.”

Osu really wished she would continue a little faster but at the same time he was learning much he didn’t know. A religion that granted tangible power in the form of a kinjutsu had more than minor implications and it made him wonder why he hadn’t heard of it before. However, having seen the sort of things its worshipers can get up to it wasn’t really any wonder he didn’t know of any inside the village.
“Well I had to recognize their deity had some sort of real power. They at least took more direct action than Raiden and whoever the village took up worshiping after our family left. Thinking myself clever and having little respect for gods I came up with the idea I would steal power from a god, if not for me, for my offspring. So I established a positive relationship with the cult, got them to share knowledge of their rituals and lore with me and I eventually offered myself to mother Jashin’s child. All it would take was these rituals we found information on.” His mother said the last bit with no little sarcasm.

“A small warning for your future child, jutsu is one beast, magic is a whole different monster. You must ignore many rules you know about the world and learn to accept the rules the world feels about you. I could never really get my mind wrapped around it and the best I could do was assist in translation and scheduling rituals. Humans, particularly those who touch chakra, aren’t really suited for the stuff. I underestimated not only the difficulty of the task but the ridiculousness of their god. Gods won’t do things simply because you perform their rituals I was misled there. The cultists believe that much to be true, but in truth Jashin cares only about his own entertainment. I knew immediately that there was no way I could guarantee him any of what he wanted from you but I was already in front of him and would probably have died if he thought I was wasting his time. I bet on the idea he wasn’t omnipotent and made an agreement with him I would make sure he would break first. You know a bit of what happened after that with my pregnancy, and the fact I ran off with you soon after your birth.”

With a sigh his mother sipped at her own tea. “Goodness this story is longer than I remember it. After you were born we were on the run for quite a while, moving from country to country, never staying anywhere long. Sometimes just as long as long as necessary to get some funds. The beautiful mother running away with her newborn from an abusive relationship netted no small number of lustful idiots seeing themselves as knights on white horses. I must admit I took to being a mother more than I thought I would, it helped you were impossibly adorable. I spent quite of the money I acquired on cute outfits for you during that time. Still you have no idea how difficult traveling as a single mother is. If I couldn’t kill normal people by willing them to boil from the inside, the slavers, bandits or rapists on the road might have been an issue. Thankfully most people with the skill to fight shinobi have more established employment than banditry or smart enough to not do something to attract attention. An entertaining note, my grandmother apparently had a hell of a time getting those cultists to limit their hunting grounds to places with high death rates like mountain passes and such so not to attract the attention of those who might be able to do something about a chakra bolstered murder cult. Thankfully that group was only proficient in the use of taijutsu or they might have attracted much more attention, possibly might have even done a better job of tracking us down. Still I knew I couldn’t run with you forever so I had to misled them a bit. After one year with you I left you at the village gates with a note and some coin to encourage your placement in a more habitable orphanage. Most of your development from there went as expected though you were taken in by the clan much sooner than I expected and we should sit down and talk about that inner mind of yours at some point. For now, we have a rather unpleasant matter to discuss.”

His mother glared off in the direction of another heartbeat in the neighboring room. “I procured a surgeon while you were still unconscious. From his tests your situation is rather… serious though treatable after a fashion. You have surely realized you can’t move your body. For better or worse Jashin had very incomplete knowledge on how the human body functions when he placed this curse on you. It appears he tried to make sure you could still feel fully while making sure you couldn’t move on your own among other things. While your involuntary muscles seem fine for the most part, your bones have grown heavy and sensitive, and your skeletal muscles have become stationary. Most of your body is useless, some aspects have become redundant such as the fact your neurons are now mostly located in localized areas of your body, yes you heard me correctly, and quite frankly aside from appearance your body is, as the doctor put it, more like that of an octopus than a human’s anymore. There is good news though, your blood is more than a little miraculous. Your veins for instance are now like thousands of miles of carbon fiber and your blood now carries much of your mind. Day by day your blood has been taking in more and more of what is necessary for you to live, breaking down your brain and spreading it out among new types of blood cells. Yesterday your hand came off again but this time it sought out your body and reattached itself. The problem is that all that bone, muscle and the other redundant or useless parts are in the way and causing you great pain.”

His mother looked sure of herself as she spoke but Osu was beginning to realize where this conversation was heading, not that he COULD speak against it. “Your body should stabilize in a few more days. When it does, we will open you up, test, and remove many things. In the meantime I need you to do something very important. You need to reign in your blood at least a little. Right now you have blinking using your henomancy down, but when we open you up a bit your blood becomes quite defensive. If I hadn’t intervened the doctor would have been strangled to death by your blood vessels. I can assist a bit but my injury will act up after a few minutes and I won’t be able to hold you down long enough for the doctor to remove anything safely. I will need you to remain fully conscious and do your very best to control your blood. Quite frankly seeing how much of you it now contains I would wager that you are mostly your blood now. Control it and you will be able to move again. Master controlling it and you will have greater freedom of movement than your old body would have been capable of. Of course one of the more useful things you might want to practice will be manipulating your mouth tongue and larynx to do more than let air pass through. If you are able to speak, even just a little, that will make a lot of this easier.”

Internally, Osu and Uso began to have a bit of a chat. “Uso… where did we keep the anatomy books?”

A few days later, with much feeling around, guesswork and a bit of very unscientific action it was concluded that the blood had absorbed all that it was going to. Some things it didn’t absorb it still adapted a bit such as the stomach and the rest of that system, others things were surprisingly left alone for the most part such as a majority of the endocrine glands though the functions of that system regulated to the brain were now split among the new specialized cells in Osu’s blood. The blood vessels had grown to fill in some of the new space and were much lighter and stronger than the bones and muscle that Osu finally believed that structurally it would make sense to rely more on them and that the presence of the old bones and most of the non functioning muscles were causing him unnecessary pain. That didn’t mean he was excited for the suggested procedure though. While Jashin had in many ways seemed to make his body more suited for survival, he also made it more sensitive. The clearest example of this was related to hunger. The pain of hunger now set in Osu’s body much faster than it had before and with faster growing intensity, however he could survive for much longer without food. It was one of the many things that made Jashin’s curse more obviously an on-the-fly prank by a dissatisfied deity. It was almost as if Jashin told Osu’s body “Hey I want you to make his life as inconvenient as possible while giving him plenty of time to suffer without directly killing him” and his body set to the task having no idea what it was doing. There was so little science to explain his body’s transformations that Osu, Uso, and the doctor his mother had basically kidnapped were all at an aggravating loss but all three were also curious beyond belief at parts like these new wonder cells flowing around his blood and managing his body. Osu’s brain was now spread across his entire body managing the areas around it in a local fashion while using their connection with his blood vessels to communicate with the other brain cells. Uso at one point lost herself a bit and lamented her inability to put their body on a lab table and examine it herself. This turned into a rather painful experience when Osu commented on the fact that technically since their body could now still function without their head attached they could do so at the cost of significantly reduced brain power since only so much was located in their head anymore. It was painful because during Uso’s turn to see how well she could control their new blood she convinced the doctor to let them have a shot at it and while the spine made removing the head very painful the re-connection was more than agonizing. Uso demanded that the spine be one of the first things to go meaning Osu was the last one holding any reservations over this procedure. Obviously for these events to happen the twins did figure out how to manipulate their body enough to manage some very rough speech. Just from that though they realized that it would be a very long time before they really had any sort of mastery over their body. While from a structural and biological point of view their blood and veins were wondrous things, they also were rather… willful for a lack of a better term. When they began the first of the many, many surgeries to remove useless parts the kids became fully aware at how little the blood would respond to their will, particularly when distracted by the pain of the procedure. Many times they had to stop a procedure because the twins couldn’t reign in the blood any longer and their mother had to step in to save the doctor. Quite honestly Osu realized he was a much better surgeon than the man working on them and it was a bit frustrating for him. Uso felt much greater irritation at this fact was had lost a lot of her arguing power with Osu lately so she never was allowed to make the complaint vocally. Besides they realized that they couldn’t manipulate a scalpel a fraction as well as anyone with basic motor control in their current condition. Considering they basically lived for the medical branch this was quite the wakeup call. Osu was now fully on board to speed up the removal procedures.

Three quarters of a year after the whole Jashin event the procedures were finished. The trickiest had been the bone removal as the blood was very protective of the marrow inside of them and a single bone could require a break for a couple days. Stripping the bones and leaving the marrow was quite the delicate task, not to mention painful beyond belief. Their mother’s health deteriorated quite a bit at times from having to constantly intervene which threw in further delays. The doctor had a few breakdowns as did the twins and it was an unpleasant ride for everyone involved. However they were finally free to begin the rehabilitation efforts in full. That was when his mother calmly killed the doctor.

Now Osu had long realized his mother had kidnapped the man but the doctor seemed very understanding of his mother’s desperation and also his intellectual curiosity was rather enthralled by Osu. His mother calmly said, “You were raised as a shinobi, you should be more than aware that occasionally secrets require a few sacrifices to keep.”

The moment really made Osu revisit the notion of what sort of woman would doom her children to meet a god like Jashin. They had been so caught up in having a mother that they hadn’t really focused much on what sort of person she was. “Return to Kumogakure? No, I think not. You will stay here and remaster your body then we will decide your future. We will have years to think on it my child but you are destined for so much more than remaining a doctor in some peaceful village. Besides, I doubt villages will be safe to be affiliated with after many more years.” That was all his mother would hear of him returning home. After that discussion he would be locked up on the occasions his mother went out for supplies which took more than a week each trip, which suggested they were rather far from civilization. She did make sure he was comfortable but Osu and Uso quickly came to realize that their mother was treating them as a caged bird. She was also becoming more insistent about reentering their library which neither of the twins were comfortable with at this point. They managed to put her off using their incomplete control over the blood as a hazard for the technique but they knew that answer wouldn’t suffice forever. They were more than aware many of the secrets in their head were not their own and that their mother was a dangerous sort of person to give any sort of power to. Still even considering their mother’s illness she was much stronger than they had ever been.

So they waited and practiced. What else could they do? Keenly aware of their own powerlessness in the situation they simply had to make external shows of small constant improvement while really stretching themselves those times their mother was away. It would take years at their current pace but they would have to catch their mother off guard when they became skillful enough and make their escape then. In the meantime however their biggest concern was how to continue to not let their mother into the library without making it obvious they didn’t trust her. Soon it came time for their fourteenth birthday.

Their mother had assured them as she locked them up that they would celebrate their birthday with some delicious goodies when she got back. It was nearly two weeks away but she needed to leave a few days early to make sure she got the supplies she wanted and to be back in time. Osu gave an awkward affirmative at his mother’s parting. The timing meant it had been a year since he left his village to go on a fishing trip. He missed home quite a bit.

A few hours after his mother left he started hearing a strange sound. Like… something hard smashing against metal? It continued for quite some time. Eventually there was a horrific sound of metal creaking and a shout that sounded through the lair. “Osu!!! Are you in here?” Raiden above, rescue? Wait…

“Chiai?!” Osu questioned back as loud as he could manage. Of all the people in the world to come rescue him…

“Osu! You are actually here!” a delighted voice shouted back. Osu could hear that Chiai was sparing no room for delicacy as she smashed her way through the building until she discovered the room he was in. She narrowed her eyes and gave a running swing with her halberd at the class wall of Osu’s cage. It didn’t break however.

“What the hell is this stuff?”

“Never mind the glass, it would take all day for you to break through come over here to the door and open the little window and bring a stool.”

Confused, Chiai looked around for a stool and did as Osu asked. “Okay the little window is open but what exactly are you planning?”

“Just stand on that side of the door and don’t look around it,” Osu shouted back a bit flustered. After a minute some cloth appeared in the little window. “Pull this through for me,” Osu said with a bit of embarrassment.

Chiai did so and blushed a bit after the cloth was all the way through. “Osu is this the yukata you were just wearing?” Curiosity had her peeking around the side of the door.

“Don’t look just stay on that side of the door!”

“Goodness you are so slim and pretty!”

“Please just come back to the window and stand on the stool!” Osu was quite shy over how slim he had become. Given his incomplete control over the blood he couldn’t really spend the effort necessary to mimic and maintain frivolous things like muscle definition. Rather his mother even more embarrassingly had helped sculpt this into a natural resting position for his blood because she thought it was pretty. You could take the woman out of the Chigokai, but apparently you couldn’t stop the Chigokai from wanting a daughter.

Chiai had a bit of a blushing and smug look on her face as she peeked through the little window. “I know you are thankful for me coming to rescue you Osu but this is hardly the time for a strip tease.”

“Ju-Just grab my hand and pull me through!”

“What? Osu I know I just said you were slim but…”

“Please just do it so I can put my clothes back on!”

Hesitating for a moment Chiai reached through the window to grab Osu’s hand and began pulling. “For such slim hands you have quite the grip, but has your mother been feeding you? You are even lighter than… Osu… what is this?” Chiai was of course referring to the fact that Osu was becoming a bit formless and slipping through the little window.

“Don’t stop pulling! It is hard to keep everything together when I do this!”

“Ri-right!”

After they had pulled Osu’s upper torso through he told Chiai to turn around and pulled himself the rest of the way through and began dressing himself.

Peeking over her shoulder only a few times Chiai asked, “Is that something that Lord Jashin did to you? The whole amorphous body thing?”

“Yes, he was quite upset with my mother so quite a bit of my body became useless. We had to remove most of it.”

“Then how are you?”

“Moving? I’m quite gifted among the Chigokai you know. Manipulating my own blood should actually be much easier than this but what runs through my veins is quite willful. Alright let’s hurry and get out of here. My mother won’t be back for a week so we will have plenty of time to move and cover our tracks.”

They moved on to the outside while picking up some supplies when it occurred to Osu he had no idea where they were. He asked Chiai.

“I don’t really know. I just followed after you the best I could this last year. Lots of coin flipping led me here. The nearest sign of civilization is a few days south and I can’t understand a word they say around here.”

Osu wasn’t quite sure what to comment with so instead he shook his head. “Chances are that place to the south is where my mother is heading, we should head east.”

“East? Why not north away from your mother?”

“Two reasons really. The first is that so long as my mother doesn’t discover I have left until she gets back here going in a straight line in any direction will take her just as long to follow. We just have to avoid going south so we don’t accidently run into her. As for why east, if you have ever looked at a map of the continent we are more likely to get back to Lightning without getting sidetracked if we head east and figure out where we are. Rather, east with a bit of north mixed in would be most efficient.”

“Lightning? You want to return to being a shinobi? Didn’t seem like a very fun job to me. Everyone probably thinks you are dead by now so you could very well just run off and have fun doing what you want.”

“I want to return to my village,” Osu said unsure of why Chiai and his mother found it so odd that he wanted to go back to his duty as a shinobi. “What about you and your cult?”

“Don’t know. When your mother ran off with you I followed after immediately. They seemed to be in pretty bad shape but they aren’t really my problem. I was more concerned about you.”

Once again Osu wasn’t sure how to respond.

“That said when your mother figures out you have gone missing she will assume you are heading towards Lightning. And unlike us she probably knows the way. We shall instead head north with a bit of east.”

Osu didn’t really have an argument against that.

“Also since I rescued you, you should be praising me more.Like ‘Oh Chiai, my darling, I am nothing without you! Please take me away from this land and become my bride!’ and such.”

At this Osu couldn’t help but start laughing.

“He-Hey Osu. A girl’s feelings can take you laughing at that moment the wrong way you know?”

Calming himself down a bit Osu looked straight into Chiai’s eyes, “I’m sorry I have no idea where that came from, I think I just feel relieved. Chiai, thank you. I am rather pathetic and can’t manage to do much on my own. Not only considering my physical condition but I always seem to land myself into trouble. Would you come back to Kumogakure with me? It might take some effort but maybe we can at least make you a civilian.

Chiai flushed deep scarlet and started looking everywhere except Osu’s face. She turned her body to the side and began punching Osu’s shoulder repeatedly. It might have been cute if it didn’t really hurt. “Um Chiai my…”

“PLEASE if you say the darling bit seriously I might die!” Chiai suddenly exclaimed and gave Osu one of her real punches. His arm went flying off.

“My arm!” Osu couldn’t help but exclaim. Sure it could come off but that didn’t mean it didn’t sting like hell to do so.

Chiai stared a bit blankly at where Osu’s arm used to be and waved her hand through the empty space before looking over at where Osu’s arm was. Going through a bit of denial Chiai walked over to the arm with shaky hands and picked it up. “D-d-d-d-don’t worry I am sure it will pop right back on with a bit of effort. You are a doctor right? This is totally fixable. I didn’t just accidentally maim Osu seconds after he proposed to me. I’m not that much of an idiot!”

Osu didn’t remember proposing to Chiai but he at least needed to alleviate her fears a bit. That and she was squeezing his arm pretty hard and the more damage she did the more painful reconnection would be. He casually walked over and took his arm from Chiai’s shaking hands and the blood vessels reconnected with those in his shoulder when it was brought near. After the arm was seamlessly reattached he simply said, “No worries Chiai, look it’s all better. Just be careful as I fall apart quite easily.”

Chiai moved the shoulder of Osu’s yukata to the side and began poking her finger at where the arm had previously fallen off. Understanding the confusion Osu didn’t pay it any mind at first but after a minute she was poking at the rest of his upper body. “Chiai?”

“You have such pretty skin,” Chiai murmured. Realizing she was no longer shocked and just taking advantage of the situation he straightened his yukata back into position.

“You adjusted to that rather quickly.”

“Well I thought it was a nightmare at the time but I did accidentally remove your head before.”

Shivering because he remembered how painful that used to be Osu nodded. “I vaguely remember you doing that. Anyway just because my mother will be gone for a week doesn’t mean we should wait for her to get back. We should get moving.”

After a few minutes of moving and a small argument later Osu was forced to piggyback off Chiai so they could actually cover some ground. “You can practice moving your body again after we get far enough out of your mother’s grasp.” He had been told firmly. And so the two set off into the wilderness.

Act 3

Osu was breathing rather heavily as the pole side of Chiai’s halberd pushed him into the ground. A little winded herself Chiai smiled, “You are finally back to being as strong as you used to be, maybe a bit stronger even.” It had been around seven months since Chiai rescued him and she had determined that the best way for Osu to rehabilitate was to fight all out... every day. He didn’t really get much choice in the matter though it was providing significant results.

Osu sat up as Chiai removed her halberd and braced for impact. Sure enough Chiai hopped on his lap and said, “Now pat my head and praise me.” Every time Chiai won one of these fights she would demand a prize like this. It was always something silly like this so he didn’t really mind. It was sometimes hard to believe she was nearly a year older than him though.

“Hai hai, you are the great and mighty Chiai, hero of the Osu nation, protector of the dumb easily kidnapped bunny, and trainer of the weak.”

“Geez put a little more effort into the praises, you should tell me how pretty I am again.”

“You know one of these days I will win and demand some sort of prize from you. Perhaps I should think of something really embarrassing in the meantime to get you back.”

From inside the library Uso began thudding her head with a book, “Raiden! I would tell you two to fuck already but I would be a captive audience to the horrifying scene.” Osu was rather flustered by the sudden exclamation but Chiai had no way of hearing Uso.

“Osu you should at least marry a girl before plotting to humiliate her.”

Ah that again. “Chiai it is just that…”

“Osu if you bring up the soul thing, I will beat you into the ground using your own arms again. That isn’t where my feelings come from and I definitely don’t want that affecting your desire to be with me either way. It is a non-issue. It just makes it easier to find you.”

Osu shut up. He didn’t feel like it was a non-issue that a piece of her soul was attached to him but she wasn’t kidding about how she was willing to rip his arms off and beat him with them. She had really been hurt the first time he expressed that might be where her feelings for him came from. Surprisingly she had known about it already.

“Look, I know you are an indecisive bastard and I can forgive that. You are my overly cautious rabbit after all. I just want you to not use excuses and be more honest with yourself.” Hopping back to her feet Chiai began dusting herself off from their fight. “Osu could you help me out with the…”

“Right, I’ve got it,” Osu nodded, thankful for the changed topic. He began removing the blood from their clothes and everywhere else around them. His fighting style had only seem to become messier though that didn’t bother him as much as it used to.

Chiai glanced at the setting sun and moved to start the fire. “Stew alright for dinner?” Chiai joked as she set up the pot.

Smiling back Osu replied, “Stew? Couldn’t imagine a day without it. Is it even possible to not have stew for dinner?”

“Unless someone starts managing to bring home some bacon or something besides a pot to cook in we won’t even be dreaming of anything but stew. I hope that job that you are so desperate to return to pays well because I want to eat grilled and fried food for every meal after we get back. “

“Every meal? That isn’t healthy at all. How about salad or sushi?”

“A vegetable besides the wild potatoes or onions we find out here? Inconceivable!” Chiai exclaimed pretending she was about to faint from the very idea.

This sort of playful banter was the only way they could manage to pretend to look forward to having the same dinner as usual.

After eating they sat around quietly in the dark. Tonight Chiai was the first to break the silence. “Osu, here before long I think we should be more than ready to try to make it to your village. Your mother can’t guard the entire Lightning border herself and if we enter by let’s say the third least used port in your country she would have no way of knowing where we are if we use disguises as well. Her only chance at really catching us is to wait near the village but if she gets too close that presents too much of a risk for her. If we get close enough we can even use that radio you rigged up to call for backup or even an escort.”

She hadn’t directly asked a question but Osu knew the one that was there. “Just a bit longer.”

Chiai sighed and playfully rolled over to where he sat poking at the fire. “Having second thoughts? Still paranoid about that crazy mother of yours? Ready to elope with me and travel the world in all this style?” Osu couldn’t help but chuckle at the use of ‘style’.

Chiai pouted and began squeezing his face. “I keep telling you to be more careful of when you laugh.”

“Sorry. No, I am not having second thoughts. The real issue is that I haven’t regained perfect use of my hands. Surgery is a bit beyond me at the moment.”

Chiai had an exasperated look on her face. “Just go home already you damn perfectionist! You know what? Forget it. Go away, let me have some girl talk with your sister.”

That… was a concerning notion. Uso didn’t particularly seem to care for Chiai. Even more concerning was that Uso was perfectly willing and insisted that he keep his senses to himself and let them speak privately.

When Osu had retreated into the depths of the library Uso used a transformation jutsu to take on her mental image of herself and waited patiently for Chiai to speak.

“Your brother is driving me insane.”

“And?” It was very obvious that Uso really didn’t care. That made it difficult for Chiai to continue.

It was Uso’s turn to sigh, “Look I don’t really care what you and my dumbass of a brother do. My two yen remain that it would be much safer and, more importantly, comfortable back in the village. Other than that key point I don’t care and don’t want to know what you two get up to.”

It became quiet again for a minute until Chiai bravely asked, “Then do you mind if I tie you up really quick before you two switch ba-”

“Oh dear Raiden, please just stop!” Uso screamed before forcefully pushing Osu back out to deal with his damn girlfriend.

Staring at a disappointed Chiai Osu simply said, “That didn’t seem to go well.”

“It was worth a shot,” she replied.

For a few more months they continued on like this, camping out in the wilderness moving around every now and then and fighting on a daily basis. With a little more than a month left before his fifteenth birthday rolled around Osu finally got the drop on Chiai. When she had cut his arm off it came in from behind her and bound her using blood vessels. Both were rather shocked.

“Of course I the time I lose is from you holding me tightly with your arm and it not even be in an affectionate way,” Chiai said wryly. Osu not wanting to pass up this rare opportunity began poking at Chiai’s cheek with a smile while his arm kept her bound.

“Stop it you jerk,” Chiai laughed as Osu began tickling her. “I’m really gonna smash your face in if you don’t quit that.”

The two of them smiled at each other and Chiai had to ask, “So what do you want?”

“Hmm?”

“You won you get a prize. Shall I brush your hair, or let you sit on my lap and praise you or…” She began listing the many silly things she had him do for her as if trying to provoke him into actually doing something.

Osu raised his hand to stop her, “The first time we fought back when we were kids you beat the lights out of me and got a bit full of yourself.”

“Did I now? I’m not quite sure I recall.”

“Yes very much so. You pushed me into the ground much like this,” and Osu proceeded to demonstrate. “Forced a kiss on me about like this,” which for the sake of helping her recall he demonstrated. “And told me ‘I beat you so you are mine now’ or something like that.”

Uso in the recesses of their mind was beginning to gag, but Osu ignored her.

After a minute Chiai responded, “Osu that had better have been a proposal and not just you recounting a story from a few years back or so help me you will wake up with your head on the end of my halberd.”

“And if it was a proposal?” Uso began gagging even harder, it was so terribly corny and disgusting.

Instead of replying Chiai, while still bound, tackled Osu and climbed on top of him with their faces locked together.

Uso spent the rest of the night, and many following nights, doing her best to ignore the two warm blooded, unsupervised, hormonal teenagers. This had to be hell. Okay she had seen a hell before but this was still not how she wanted to live her life. Of course Uso was the last one laughing.

Not long after Osu’s fifteenth birthday and not long before Chiai’s sixteenth they had a bit of a shocking revelation. Of course, neither, particularly the doctor, had any right to be surprised. It did however change some plans. So within a couple weeks the two were on a ship getting ready to dock at the fourth least popular port in all of Lightning.

[OOC: MFT 21404, A-Rank travel time. Kin app is for Revenant with crazy blood vessel stuff instead of cords, bought the jutsu for it mentioned a long time ago so should be no issues there. The kin app itself is mostly focused around the end of the first act and most of the second app with the rest of the story being getting used to it and some personal development. Will post a npc app for Chiai before I rp with her more.]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back