Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Where the Spirits draw you [Contract Search]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
It stood like a great bone, pieced out of the flesh of the world, rising as it were towards the sky. Sounds, like rainfall, seemed to be distorted and warped - sometimes sounding like the tinkling of broken glass, whilst other times the screams of a dying child.

The white clay creation, shaped like a large white bird, soared around the great world tree for that is what it was called. The product of the former Fire Daimyo, the one who had ordered the destruction of Konohagakure, rose into the nights sky. White hair whipping in the wind, the brown robed figure expertly looked for any information about this… thing.

He could feel the chakra emanating from the tree, despite its apparent dormancy. No, it seemed more like a cancer, drawing chakra from the lands around it, yet infusing it with its own corruption at the same time. A symbiotic relationship at its finest and most disturbing.

Migoya found it beautiful.

Willing his clay creation to fly and circle the top of the tree, Migoya noted the wilted flower at its peak, a focal point for what would have been a worlds-encompassing disaster. Its species was indeterminable, and from what few reports remained about the monster, it was apparently sentient and nigh indestructible.

An expert in botany for many years, Migoya sought to see the creation himself. It had not been an easy journey, one only made possible thanks to his prodigious skills and iron will. The genjutsu-laden forest had almost had him… but.

He shuddered at the thought, pulling his brown robe closer around him.

Willing himself closer, Migoya studied the white bark of the plant, taking mental notes as to its composition, and noting its absorption as the rains falling were lapped up. How this ‘flower’ had continued to thrive after the war was a mystery in and of itself as the lands surrounding it were barren of life, as if drawn into this plants very root systems.

He drew closer.

A feeling, akin to a slight breeze creeped over Migoya’s neck, caused his pale hair to stand on end. He quickly turned, his hands ready to form the complex justu seals needed to blast any threat away, and his face paled at the sight before him.

Spirits - faces - of those who were dead. Distorted images of people, animals, plants - visions of darkness and despair. Words, so warbled as to be distorted, assaulted Migoya’s ears to coincide with the darkness of that which met his gaze.

He knew he did not belong here.

But Migoya knew the simple truth - he did not belong anywhere but here. He himself was a parasite, a creature that sustained himself on the life essence of others. A revenant the superstitious would call him.

Steeling himself, Migoya willed his mount forward, until he stood next to an outstretched and withered petal at the top of the great tree. He could feel its thirst for his chakra, and fought against its pull. Spirits of all types seemed to be coalescing at this focal point - a bridge of sorts between worlds perhaps - but Migoya could not see them, only feel their presence.

Taking a deep breath, Migoya stepped forward, his feet finding footing on one of the dessicated petals.

“Forgive my trespass great World Tree. I merely seek guidance… and knowledge”, Migoya intoned in a strong voice, the language of Fiero - the true language of the Fire Kingdom.

There was no response.

Migoya stepped forward confidently, showing no fear as he walked closer to the eye of the storm. He noted that the rains continued to fall, his clothing becoming wet with moisture, but he would continue.

“I come from this land, and know of your suffering. I know of the one who warped you into being a servant, and rejoiced in your freedom upon his death”, Migoya spoke as he walked. “Guide me now, great one, into finding a way to help this world heal - help you heal.”

Again there was no response, not that Migoya expected one.

He walked for several more minutes, his eyes wandering around to see the influx of strange creatures, seemingly made from chakra itself, eye him back. He was not aggressive, and it seemed they shared his curiosity. Soon however he found himself alone once more.

Migoya knelt down into sieza, drawing in a deep breath as he tried to start to focus on his surroundings, like he had been taught so many years ago. He could feel the thirst of the tree, the strange feeling of being watched, but he would continue to concentrate.

To what end?

[WC: 773]

Nanjirou Soku

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S Rank
There was dead silence, the only sound being that of a occasional animal running to and fro with some purpose in mind. The World Tree the white-haired shinobi spoke of stood tall, a shadow of it's former pride casting shadows over the rough terrain. One could certainly assume this was not a place you would wisely venture into. However, it seemed Migoya was one of those brave souls who would challenge that u spoken rule as he continued on his path and that was something that would not sit well with those who were lurking hidden from the naked eye. How dare this...this...vulgar human dare to trespass upon this war-torn land. He had no idea, not a grasp on what had happened here so many years past. The Chuunin would feel the ground shift slightly underneath his feet until a trembling started. The chakra forms of those spirits long-lost began to flicker in and out wavering as they did nothing but stare. They stared at the elder shinobi watching, to see what action he would take. Would he like be so many others who had tried but had perished only to join their ranks or perhaps he would rise up to the challenge that was about to appear..quite literally.

If the Leaf shinobi was focused enough, he would feel a immense chakra coming from the great tree. There now would be a small figure standing in front of it, watching him. One could easily mistake the person for a child. His features were concealed as his head was tilted down staring at the ground, his hands hung loosely at his sides dangling. He was nothing more but a mere boy. The trembling stopped and the chakra forms disappeared leaving Migoya quite alone with the kid. The younger boy finally glanced up revewling a mass of brown hair, black eyes and a smile on his face. It was a smile of sadness. He did not speak, merely held out his hand to the Chuunin beckoning him to follow. It would seem like he was trying to tell the male ninja something or perhaps he had a more alterior purpose. Perhaps not all was as it seemed. A wolf in sheep's clothing was a danger. The sound of silence was broken by his voice, a young, childish tone bht the words he uttered was those of a man. Child, he may be but his vocabualry was lenghty.

"Perception is not always everything. All that you know, all that you think you know about reality, about this world. We live on this soil going on about our daily lives, not a single soul has ventured to think about the true forces that control this life of ours. Tell me, wanderer, what do you define perception as? What do you base knowledge on? What is knowledge? Answer these and perhaps I may offer you the guidance you seek, human."Depending on his reply, the child would deliver a verdict. If he was like the others, he would be soon to join the ranks of the spirits or perhaps he would able to provide a good summary. After all, to continue to the next step, one must understand the meaning of true perception and for that, one must grasp what it means to attain knowledge, the value of knowledge. If someone could not grasp even that small fact, what use were they to this vast world? People came here seeking information,help and aid, yet did not even understand this. It was like mixing oil with fire. One does not merely troop into a unknown land without prior planning. You prepare, you plan then you act. For that, a person mjst understand the value, the value of the information they have been blessed with. Knowledge is one oftbe many things revolving around this world, if Migoya could not grasp this concept, the path ahead would be a rocky road. It was up to him how he wished to reply. Analyze, think then answer or be like the common man, simply brush past the question. Take a shortcut. What would Migoya do?

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
It was the silence that first drew Migoya out of his meditations, as the strange wailing of spirits dwilded to simple movement, then nothing. Opening up his crimson eyes as he remained kneeling, he looked around the top of the great tree, scanning for anything different.

And different he found.

A young boy was standing in the center of the great world tree, looking forlorn and sad as it reached forward. Migoya instinctively focused his will to stave off any genjutsu, but this… this was real. The child spoke, his words sounding as if from an adult, giving rise to Migoya’s obvious suspicions that this was no ordinary person… or indeed spirit. His eyes drifted to the ground in front of the spirit.

"Perception is not always everything. All that you know, all that you think you know about reality, about this world. We live on this soil going on about our daily lives, not a single soul has ventured to think about the true forces that control this life of ours. Tell me, wanderer, what do you define perception as? What do you base knowledge on? What is knowledge? Answer these and perhaps I may offer you the guidance you seek, human."

Okay… this is different. I know about spirits – Mikki is an example of that… but a child? Is this one of the fallen? And why question on perception… and knowledge…

Migoya nodded, his eyes returning to look in front of him as he knelt, as one did to a sensei. His voice was clear and strong as he answered the spirit’s question.

“I used to believe that perception was the collaboration of the senses, infused with one’s own ideas and viewpoints to come to a conclusion”. Migoya took a breath – more out of habit since he didn’t have lungs.

“Life however, has taught me something different. Perception to me is not merely coming to a conclusion about what you know, it is recognizing what you do not. True perception is understanding what you do not perceive, and making a conscious effort to find it. It is also knowing that what I perceive is completely different from what you, or each individual be they ant or immortal, perceive, and accepting that fact.”

Finished with answering the first question –a topic he could discuss quite happily for hours – he continued.

“As for knowledge, it is simply based on what is put in front of oneself, the foibles of being mortal. Knowledge is based on speech, words, sights, sounds, feelings, thoughts – again all mired by perception. Knowledge is simply information, fact and fiction both. It is a stepping stone, nothing more. A person may know everything, but unless they do something with it, it means nothing. A book unread aids no-one”.

Again the breath.

“I seek knowledge not for what it is, but for what it enables me to do. How it enlarges my… perception. So perception and intelligence are symbiotic, feeding one another – and thus if we perceive something wrong, or obtain corrupt intelligence, it can have a lasting effect. But then again, I am simply mortal.”

It was then that Migoya felt Mikki, his tsukumogami puppet and life-long friend, trembling underneath his robe, the small puppet clearly terrified of the personage in front of him. Migoya had never seen Mikki this scared, and his normally unshakable façade started to waver.

Mmmmigo-kun… make it go away. Mikki pleaded, the trembling evident in his ‘voice’, making Migoya fear even more.

A pale hand, the cause of much suffering, reached down and covered the trembling puppet with a very strong measure of affection. If the very doors of hell would open, Migoya would protect his friend, laying down even his immortality to do it.

“I am here for you my friend. Always,” Migoya whispered, a measure of fear again drifting into his hearts.

Still kneeling, Migoya would look up at the figure that seemed to be a small, brown-haired boy, beckoning him forward. The child’s sad smile was far too familiar, and one he had adapted over the years through training to appear to be a casual smirk. Despite the finest acting, one could not fake the pain inside a smile, or within the eyes of a person. Part of Migoya wanted to comfort the child, knowing full well the effects of childhood trauma.

But was this a person?

Indeed, Migoya could feel the immense amount of chakra growing around him, filling him with a sense of trepidation unlike any he had known before. This tree… its chakra… WAS pain, and this joint suffering seemed to be the reason that Migoya could remain here. Unwanted memories started to rise to the surface, scars on a boy’s soul that turned him into a monster… He decided to change the focus.

“What do you believe of perception? I would be honoured for your answer, great spirit, and any other insight you can provide”, Migoya said calmly, moving his eyes down now to the boys feet in respect as he continued to kneel. Migoya had no idea if this was a great spirit, or a genjutsu, or a multitude of other attacks, but great risks got great rewards.

Or death.

Nanjirou Soku

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S Rank
The child-like being glanced at the figure kneeling before him as one would to a greater deity. So, it seemed as if this time woukd be different. He was not like the others. This shinobi was a prime example, one of the few who actually took the effort to go to great lengths to learn what values held this world of ninja together. He was not like the other poor souls whom had perished here. Migoya was...pure. It went without saying he had passed the first task, first task of many to come."What do I believe of perception, you ask? I believe...perception...is the ability to observe those things beyond our control and to understand what it is you are seeing. You may not understand my reply at the moment, shinobi but you will after this trial. I promised you guidance and I will deliver it to you. But I am not one to hand you knowledge on a silver platter. You are going to work for it, you will attain the guidance you seek with your own two hands. If this does not bode well with you, I have nothing more to say to you. However, if you are willing to take up this offer then your trial begins now. Behind me a couple feet away are two pathways,one leads to a dead end and the other...continues on...and...on..and on. It is up to you which you choose but remember one key lesson, perception is not always everything..."Echoeing those words, the child shimmered away into nothingness and in his place, two pathways appeared. One was a dirt road winding here and there and the other was a cemented brick road going straight on.

It was a difficult task no matter what Migoya chose. He could choose the road with the dead end or the one that kept going on in a infinite circle. However, if he heeded the boy's words well, he would see there was more to it than meets the eye. This was a true test of his wits. A eerie silence settled in as the natural noises of the land ceased to exist producing a dead silence of sorts. If the Chuunin chose the dead end road with the winding dirt path, he would soon come to face a wall made out of solid wood and strange rune markings engraved into it. If he choose the cemented road that went on and on, if he was dedicated enough and had a keen eye, he would soon realize that he was not going in circles. In fact, that was what the road was designed to make him think. There was a hoot of an owl that wouod sound every 50 feet or so he advanced on the straight road. It would do Migoya well to pick up on this eerie clue. Beyond that, there no other visible hints to aid the man and his companion. That immense chakra he had felt when the spirit appeared faded away. Apparently, the World Tree was in some way connected to this being that had appeared before him. Perhaps the child WAS the World Tree? Who knew what was real and what was a illusion? Migoya would not be under any apparent genjutsu or so it seemed. After all , the figure had said..Perception is not always everything. All you think you know..about this world...even about reality itself...It was up to the shinobi now. Which route would he take?
[Option 1: Take the path with the dead end]
[Option 2: Take the path that goes on and on]
[Option 3: Take none of these paths]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
[Option 2 taken *fingers crossed]

The spirit spoke more riddles, providing a loaded definition of perception, but one that seemed to agree with Migoya’s philosophy. Apparently he had passed some sort of initial test, but more were to come. So I will need to work for it. Good. That tends to lead to the best sort of knowledge.

The spirit then showed two paths, before disappearing, along with the immense weight of chakra. Mikki, somewhat reluctantly, popped his wooden head out of Migoya's robe, and seeing that the spirit had apparently left, climbed once more onto Migoya’s shoulder.

Well that was freaky. What now Migo-kun?

Migoya saw the next test, a choice between a dead end path, and a path that seemed to never end. The other choice was to stop, but one needed to, or at least needed to perceive to, move forward lest he or she stagnate. That was not an option.

But which path to choose?

Normally, Migoya would have chosen the path least travelled, the dirt track, but his gaze turned to the pathway that continued into the distance. He recalled the words of the spirit… Perception is not always everything.

Migoya rubbed his chin, his keen mind working out possible scenarios before coming to a conclusion. In order to reinforce his choice, he spoke aloud.

“The quest for knowledge does not end, it continues onward. There is never an end in sight. Nor should there be.”

Standing, Migoya took the second pathway, walking slowly as if taking in the slightest details during the journey. Although it seemed he was walking in circles, there were key bits of information that suggested that he was, in fact, moving forward.

The sounds of bird calls broke the silence, and Migoya seemed puzzled for a second, before a smile graced his features.

What the hells is an owl doing here?, Mikki queried, his voice still containing a measure of nervousness.

Migoya chuckled. “The owl, according to some cultures – fang country if I recall – is a symbol of wisdom, and dispeller of illusion and deceit.” A possible clue?

I bet it would taste good.

Migoya shook his head in resignation as he continued down the concrete pathway to whatever end.

Nanjirou Soku

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S Rank
So Migoya had chosen the road with no end in sight. He would travel down this pathway walking for what seemed like forever with the hoot of the owl sounding every now and then. Soon enough, the pathway would come to a abrupt end ending in a sudden drop-off and at the bottom lay a book bound with straps. The height of the fall however was deadly and was sure to injure someone. However, was all as it seemed? Surely, the mysterious figure he had ran into would not be create something so rash and bold that it would end in his death. Most of these trials were playing with his mind and as if on cue, the owl, brown in color and a sharp beak protruding fluttered down from the skies landing beside the Chuunin looking up at him. It was here to observe. Would Migoya jump or would he not? Did he trust his current circumstances? A voice would sound from the bottom of the cliff where the book lay as if speaking out to him, it seemed to be the same child though he was nowhere to be seen."This is the true test. How far are you willing to go to attain that which you seek? Sometimes, knowledge is found in the most unusual places and you must go to great bounds to recieve it. Although, the task before is not as hard as it seems. It is a very simple chore. This will show us if indeed, you are worthy enough and dedicated to grasp this concept.
After all, sometimes, there is great risk involved in incentive. So tell me, will you jump?"

The book lay there invitingly, it's contents unknown but according to the peculiar figure whom had just spoken, the key to his questions lay within if he was willing to risk it all. Often, people would see the endeavor as demanding too much or too risky and turn their back. They would not understand the valuable lesson being taught here. Most of them failed to see the bigger picture. They only saw the risk associated with the siutation, not the benefit they would gain. The owl sitting next to the Chuunin gave one, final echoeing hoot before soaring down to the bottom landing on top of the book looking up at the shinobi. Perhaps the bird was somehow connected to this entire siutation as well? The massive chakra Migoya had felt back at the World Tree, it was faint but he could feel traces of it here and there but the most strongest source pulsated from the book at the bottom. Whatever was in that book was obviously important but now came the issue of the height of the drop. Perhaps it wasn't really a fall? After all, up to this point, it had been nothing but illusions of the mind

If he willed it so and took it upon himself the intention to jump, Migoya would observe a interesting spectacle. The owl would grasp the book with it's own two talons and fly it up to the shinobi dropping it at his feet before flying off. If he did not accept the risk of the drop, then the book would flicker in and out of reality before vanishing. It would signify the failure and the loss of valuable information now wisps of air thst could have perhaps provided Migoya and Mikki with some clear answers. It was up to them how they chose to shape the result of this test. A slight wind breeze began to pick up as if anticapting the outcome of what would happen in the coming seconds. The rest was left to the Leaf chuunin. What did he intend to do?

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
The path continued, and his owlish guide continued to aid him on the course. Soon however the path ended at a cliff. The voice appeared again, accompanied by a brown owl who sat at his side. He gave the vision a small smile, before listening carefully to the spirits’ words.

Migoya nodded. He turned to the owl next to him.

“The best sort of knowledge isn’t easy to get.”

He turned to look at the deep ravine, staring at the book.

-------------------------------------------------

“Why aren’t you at school?”

Migoya ignored the harsh words of the stupid woman. It was none of her business why he wasn’t at school. He could read a bit, and no-one was better at running away and pickpocketing and important stuff like that. He didn’t need school. School was for rich kids who didn’t need to steal food and stuff.

No he didn’t need it.

----------------------------------------------

His crimson stare looked towards the book, longing for what it held. The feeling of immense chakra drew him forward as if it had pieced one of his hearts with a hook. Untold knowledge – the price? Possible death.

The gears of his mind once again started to churn. What was real and what wasn’t? What did his own perceptions tell him? A trap? To Migoya everything was a trap. Was it worth the cost? What knowledge was held between those pages?

His own words drifted back to him. A book unread aids no-one.

-----------------------------------------------

The punches were vicious, even though those inflicting them were untrained and young. The twelve year olds beat on the 6 year old with abandon.

“Steal from us will you… were academy students. You are a runt – worthless. Lets show you what we learned today in taijutsu class!”

The kick was swift and clean – clearly they had been practicing that.

Migoya retreated to his safe space, a place of peace and quiet where he was alone with Mikki, and could think about things.

Lets show you what we learned today… they learn these things?

There was pain, but there was also a realisation. Knowledge could be useful.

-----------------------------------------

He triangulated a course that would propel him towards the book. He knew a few jutsu that could slow and even stop his decent if required, and started to bring them to the front of his mind as he moved to the edge of the precipice, his mind determined.

If I die, I’m going to haunt you. Mikki warned.

Focused on his target, Migoya set his knees, perfectly balancing the required movements needed to maximise his jump.

“Life without the pursuit of knowledge is… dull,"
Migoya responded to the spirit as he went to spring forward.

The owl moved quickly, its talons bringing the book upwards to him as Migoya’s eyes followed it. Soon the book was placed in front of him, leaving him a bit perplexed.

That… was too easy. Is there something going on here? Why did it… oh, perhaps it wanted my intention, rather than action. It is a test of perception after all. Or is it?

I told it to do that.Mikki stated.

“No… no you didn’t”, Migoya said slowly as he walked around the book that had been deposited at his feet. He gave a bow of respect and thanks to the owl who somehow seemed linked with this journey, as he reached down to pick up the book. His senses screamed and warned him – years of inbuilt paranoia bubbling to the surface, but if this knowledge could help his family…

The book was opened.

Nanjirou Soku

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S Rank
As soon as Migoya laid a hand on the book, he would feel a pounding headache followed by the sound of distant screaming...the suffering of tortured souls. The text began to fill on the pages and the shinobi would realize, the book was recording his thoughts! The beating and the memory of the woman, all of that began to play out on the blank pages before him. The unseen voice accompanied this strange phenomeon to add to the series of events that was playing out."Tell me..why do you suffer, shinobi?
Why do you lock away your experiences? You will not be able to acheve that which you seek unless you embrace your memories. You are in pain...I can see it. Listen well, you are running, hiding from the past.
You do not wish to recall those...events. You are lying to yourself by doing this. As such, you have donned a coat on yourself and found solace in that little companion of yours. It is time to shed aside that coat. You must seek out what you desire but it will not come to you in this state. This is not your true self. You know this well so embrace it, friend. If you are not willing to take this next step...then I fear this next trial will...be simply sucuidal for you as you will not have the comfort of your little friend there for this next task nkr shall I allow it."

The book suddenly snapped shut and there was a sharp breeze of wind pushing Migoya away from it as the book settled back down in it's place at the bottom of the cliff."As it stands right now,you are not deemed ready to absorb the contents of that book. I sense you have not yet cast aside the shadow which you hide under. I can not offer guidance to one who is not true to theirself. You will prove to me..to us...that you are worthy. That is...unless you wish to keep cowering under the cloak of denialThe shinobi had perhaps thought the answers to his purpose lay within that item now at the bottom once again. It would not be so simple. Migoya had thought himself ready perhaps but the book was not merely a book, the owl was not merely a owl. Everything around here fell under the dominance of the once-great World Tree and the strange child spirit that now was speaking to him. The book which had recorded his thoughts had deemed him not worthy. He was not yet ready to recieve the answers he so desired. How could he? The man was hiding from some turbulent past. He could not possibly be ready yet. One must be willing to accept their years of pain and turmoil to fight it. He was not ready. The next task awaited. If Migoya did take up the spirit's challenge, the ground would begin to shake beneath him and suddenly, he would feel himself, falling...falling and falling to the bottom of the ravine.

Once he landed, he would notice the book was gone. There was a heavy dark mist settling in and every time he would attempt to communcaite with Mikki, there would a ear-rattling shriek. Apparently, the mysterious spirit was denying him the comfort of his companion. Red eyes gleamed out at Migoya from the heavy fog and they got closer and closer....and closer. A stocky woman appeared, a villager of sorts, her skin rotten and bruises littered her face, her eyes crimson with dried blood on her cheeks as she approached Migoya wielding a kitchen knife prodding at him with it."Why aren't you at school?"She got closer, prodding him over and over."Why aren't you at school?Why aren't you at school?"She began cackling repeating the same statement over and over again."Why aren't you at school? What are you scared of? It'll never change. You'll always be a good-for nothing failure!"She was almost breathing on him, a wide grin on her face as she brought the knife up for a swing.color=#000000]"Why aren't you at school?"[/color]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
There was never any choice - Migoya would press forward as he always had done. He was not worthy? He had not cast off the false self he used? Really?

The cloying but familiar presence of darkness surrounding him drifted into his bones, chilling him to his core. But this was not the familiar calling he normally experienced, the descent into self-loathing that he often fought in his mind, no this was the strange spirits doing. He called to Mikki, but only a dark scream returned - the one thing that shook Migoya to the bone.

Vulnerable. Alone. Migoya held onto these words and they found root in his heart. So many times in his extended existence had he felt both of those things, and now some spirit wanted to manipulate them - bring them to the forefront for him to… defeat them? To separate him from his only companion, his only support in the darkness of his misery. Not even his brother Yong knew of his dark history, of what had made Myakashi Migoya, and Migoya feared anyone knowing.

He was alone.

Rage started to surface in his hearts, and he wished to lash out at the spirit who would dare probe into his life.

“You want to play with my feelings spirit? Want me to understand myself?”

Crimson eyes narrowed in anger and annoyance as Migoya looked around, trying to find a face to focus his rage at. No - it was not the spirit he was angry at, it was himself. The mantle of arrogance, of pride, of self-control was simply a farce, and this spirit saw right through it unlike any other creature, save Mikki, had ever done.

To find the answers he sought, to help the tree heal, and understand its power, he would need to shed off this mantle, and find… himself? If this spirit had Mikki, there was nothing he would not do, and so his decision was made aknew, and soon he found himself amidst the darkness as a figure approached.

The woman’s face was familiar, someone from his past that he had previously just been reminded of. She had been a simple woman, someone who had lived in Konoha like him, and she had seen him every day, crawl out of the dank undercroft he had lived. She had given him food every now and then, but always was telling him to go to school. Nagging. Nosey. Migoya did not understand how she could be so ignorant, seeing where he lived but still expecting him to go to school.

But this vision was one of a different kind. The woman had been distorted into a rotting corpse who now prodded him with a knife.

Migoya’s mind whirred into action. A test? Was the knife a symbol of the pain she inflicted with her words and accusations? The eyes were red, like his own - did that mean something? He scoffed at the ease at which it would take to defeat this enemy. A jutsu came to the forefront of his mind, and… disappeared.

But… what?!?

He looked down at his hands, and his crimson eyes grew wide with fear. Gone where the multitudes of tiny scars, allowing for his tendrils to appear… he was whole. And he was 6 years old, wearing the same dirty white robe he had scavenged in his first day in Konoha.

The robe that covered the blood-stained shirt underneath, covered with the blood of his half-brother.

“You’ll always be a good for nothing failure!”

The words brought the young Yushi Migoya back into the situation at hand. The words hurt, just as they had hurt back then. He had tried to block out those words over his long life, but had heard them all too often. Even recently they had been suggested by the Hokage. He had strived to heighten the power of his clan, and was a leader amongst them, risen through skill and manipulation, but still he would always feel like a failure. He had gained immortality, and risen to the highest heights of shinobi power, but those words still etched themselves on his soul.

Perhaps he was.

The creature swung the knife menacingly, but this time Migoya would not run. The spirit said he was to face his true self… and he had dreamed of this moment. His crismon eyes, old despite his 6 year old frame, stared down the zombie woman.

“I am not at school because I can’t afford it. Im alone. Im scared. You dont know me. Everyday I have to try and find food. Shelter. I want to go to school. I want to be a ninja. But Im afraid… afraid of what I did to him. Afraid that I will lose control again.”

The boy sniffled.

“Perhaps I am a good for nothing failure. But I will live my life trying to be better than that. I may never get there… but at least I tried.”

A six year old standing up to an old woman, telling her the truth the way only a child can.

It was only the start of a deeper pain, the surface of the true darkness within. The simple opportunity however to say what he had wanted to say all those years ago was… helpful. But this was only the start of a journey, one in which Myakashi Migoya was deathly petrified of.

Nanjirou Soku

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S Rank
As the woman approached, it appeared Migoya had grasped what was going on around him as he turned to face the ghastly remain of the word, the knife stopped just inches from his head. It shook before hitting the ground clattering to the ground sending a echo into the area. The lady's form slowly began to fade turning into nothing more than a wisp of air that would evorapte into the sky above. However, it seemed this challenge was not over yet. There was no words from the Kami spirit to offer him consolation as the trial continued. There was a deep, booming laughter that sounded going on and on until what felt like a hand slammed into the shinobi's back."Why do you run, Migoya?"Three sets of human shapes appeared before him, their appearance the same as the woman but did nothing. It was the words they spoke that would hurt...literally."Are you scared of what will happen?"The impact of a swift kick to his side would be felt as the verbal barrage continued."You're not tough. You are a coward. You hide under the guise of this new self you have taken on. You feel safe in the fact no one knows and that no one needs to know. You run from it. YOU ARE A COWARD, MIGOYA OF THE LEAF."

The last words were spoken in a shrieking tone and the Chuunin would feel a searing pain in his chest and head, perhaps the worst pain in his life. The three men would disappear replaced by a shining apparation of none other than the other one he had held close. "M-Migoya? How could you? I never knew...why would you conceal such things from me? Why, Migoya?!"His own brethren, none other than his close brother would gaze upon him a expression of shock upon his face. He would look sadly at the shinobi sadly gazing upon his friend."We were..friends. I thought I knew everything about you. We shared so many moments. I see now all of that went down the drain. We could have talked,
found a solution...why didn't you?"
Yong would hold out a hand, a shaking finger accusing him. Of course, this was merely in his head but the effect could be still felt.

The Kami spirit would attempt to communcaite with Mikki seeking his own type of knowledge"You. Yes, you, little one who tremble in the garb of your master's robe. Tell me,why do you stick with such a man? You two are like best of friends. What is your story. Tell me, little man."Although nowhere to be seen, his voice echoed around the plain of darkness brought on by the fog from where these demons of Migoya's past were appearing. Judging from his reply and Migoya's reaction, this trial would be over soon or he was about to dig himself into a hole.
[OOC: I decided to play a bit on your history with Yong here as we discussed on Discord. I hope that is alright]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
As Migoya stood up to the apparition, it dispersed into mist. He would have swallowed a sigh of relief, but then the laughter begun. Cold, dark laughter - almost remsemling that which he had inflicted on his own deserved victims.

Something struck him from behind, causing the young boy to his knees. Another sharp kick came to hit him in his side, his skills in taijutsu powerless against the onslaught. Pain started to cover him, a pain he had not felt before.

The voices started to wail in a high pitch screech...

"You're not tough. You are a coward. You hide under the guise of this new self you have taken on. You feel safe in the fact no one knows and that no one needs to know. You run from it. YOU ARE A COWARD, MIGOYA OF THE LEAF."

Migoya clenched his teeth in pain as the words struck hard, worse than any burn, worse than any kick. The truth hurt, so they said, and it was more than evident now. He wondered why he had put himself into this situation - the lust for knowledge perhaps? Why then must he suffer these indiginties, fighting against a foe that he could never beat. Perhaps he should run and hide, like he had done for most of his life. Hiding - surviving. They were one and the same.

He was a coward.

Migoya’s pale red eyes, full of pain and sorrow even at his tender age, looked up as the pain subsided for a second and rested on the face of another young person, similar in age. The face was all too familiar, as if plucked from the deepest part of his memories, as it indeed had been.

Hirato Yong.

A brother in all but blood, it was Yong who had stood by his side as a young child and had teamed up with him to survive the dark streets of Konoha. For years the pair had survived on wit, stealth and guile, relying on each other to not only survive, but to have purpose in life. Both of them had come from different backgrounds, but we for all intents and purposes alone.

Migoya smiled, reaching up a hand to his brother. Perhaps there was a reprieve to all the pain he was suffering. The figure pulled away, the pain on his brother’s face striking Migoya to the core of his soul.

"M-Migoya? How could you? I never knew...why would you conceal such things from me? Why, Migoya?!? We were..friends. I thought I knew everything about you. We shared so many moments. I see now all of that went down the drain. We could have talked…”

Raw emotion started to form on Migoya’s face, one that had trained so hard to cover even the slightest tell of emotion, be it joy or fear. The brown eyes of the human he cared for most stared at him in disgust and pity.

“I couldn’t tell you because you would stare at me like everyone else does. Like you are now,” Migoya stammered as he choked back tears. He had never told Yong how it was that he had come to Konoha, citing some story about being an orphan and being raised on the streets. The truth was far more complicated than that, and something that he had held close to his chest, trusting no-one with that information. But now the spirit of the great tree had found that hiding spot, and his test was to open up about it.

The small boy huddled into a ball, holding his knees over his face as he mumbled into the back of them.

“I.. I always wanted to tell you, but… but I was afraid you would hate me. Like everyone else.”

It was then that the small wooden puppet, which until now seemed to have disappeared, reappeared and climbed onto the small boy’s back. Mikki’s face was devoid of emotion (not having eyes and a mouth), but a small wooden hand stroked the boys hair affectionately. But this comfort, so needed at this time, would be interrupted again by the spirit.

"You. Yes, you, little one who tremble in the garb of your master's robe. Tell me,why do you stick with such a man? You two are like best of friends. What is your story. Tell me, little man."

Mikki, despite the fact that he was terrified, turned to look upwards at the sky as if searching for someone to, well, be Mikki towards.

Because we are you moron. Why don't ya come down and make yourself into something squishy so I can kick your arse - messing around with Migo-kun’s head. I’m gunna rip you a new…

“Mikki - please… don’t. It… it is a test.”, Migoya said through his pain-filled tears.

But its eating you up inside!

“Sometimes to cure the wound, maggots must eat the dead flesh”.

Mikki seemed to be about to argue once again with Migoya, but the tone of the poor boy seemed desperate, and even he who tried to hide his empathy had to back down.

Well… ok Migo. Only because you said so, and not because this spirit is a know-it-all terd.
</I>
<I>
What is my story? Well, once upon a time I found a baby who looked like it had been left out in the snow and gone white, but it wasn’t. It was small and pale and quiet and its mother didn’t like it very much, so I looked after it a bit and then it got bigger and turned into..</COLOR>
<COLOR color="#00BFFF">, he motioned towards Migoya, This.

As to why do I stick with him? Well, for a mortal he is terribly exciting, and sometimes will blow ducks up just for me.
Mikki said as he stopped stroking Migoya’s hair and seemed, uncharacteristically, to be about to say something serious.

Because, I dunno, I need him. He’s got a good heart deep down inside - I can see it. And I, well, if I can fix him, well perhaps I can fix myself.

Migoya, hearing those words, stopped trembling and looked up at the puppet. Once again he had taken him out of the dark place with his simple words. Reaching out, Migoya gave the puppet a hug.

Oi back off! You ain't my type! the puppet muttered, squirming against the hug. See spirit, look what you did. Jerkoff

Giving a small smile Migoya let his friend go, before turning once again to Yong. His strength now returned, he rose to his feet, looking his brother in the eye.

“Because, my beloved brother, I killed my own brother and I did not want you to think I was capable of doing that to you. Ever.”

There. The truth had come out.

Nanjirou Soku

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S Rank
Yong looked at the ball before him letting loose a audible sigh as he approached the man."Look at you. You're a mess. A utter and complete mess. We were best of friends, brothers Migoya. Why do you hold on to that past? I do not understand why someone would let something like that shape who they are. Stop feeling guilty. People will judge, sure but that is just part of human nature, to be judgmental. You are not being true to yourself and as a comrade, it really hurts, Migoya." A tear slid down the former missing-nin's cheek as he reached out a hand to place ontop of the Chuunin's head."Just...let....go."With those words, the ghastly apparation of Yong would flicker in and out of contortion before finally fading away leaving nothing but a puddle of black liquid where he had been. It reeked of a terrible odor and was simply unbearable to look at.

As if on cue, there was a flash of light before them and the Kami child spirit appeares before the duo looking at them for a brief second before talking."I have heard both your stories. I can see now that I was wrong. You have done well here today. You are not like the others, the World Tree can sense it. Therefore, it is willing to recieve you and I am willing to guide you.....after you complete one small task for me."The spirit said floating over to where the puddle was and extending a finger at it."This will test your true mettle. This liquid can be poisonus or it may not be. You are going to drink it and make your way to the mountain up ahead where you will recieve a specfic item. The book you saw earlier, it contains what you need. You will do this regardless of what effects the liquid render upon you becasue if this is true guidance you seek, one would chase it to the end of time and beyond even if it meant putting their life on the line."

If Migoya and Mikki chose to undertake this chore, upon drinking the liquid, the Chuunin would feel instantly drained as if all of his energy had been sapped away and from time to time, his vison would blur getting increasingly worse as it happened again and again. The pathway ahead of them was no mere road. It took some effort to get up. It rose up at a steep incline that lead to the mountain trails that were very narrow and someone inexperienced risked falling off the ledge. There were also the threats of predators as canine creatures roamed these parts looking for something to devour."I would get a move on if I were you. You have a day to complete this task. Fail and the World Tree claims another victim."The Kami said before once again fading away and strangely enough, the hoot of a familar sounding bird sounded nearby.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Yong’s words stung, primarily because they were true. His body was beaten, bruised, his soul even more so, and now these words coming from one of the only few people Migoya would listen to found their way into his very being.

Just… let… go…

A vision formed in Migoya’s mind of himself, holding onto the crumbling edge of a cliff over a vast ravine. It was a symbol of his life - trying to hold onto things, people, he had lost throughout the many years of his life.

Just… let… go…

He held onto the ideals he was taught as a Myakashi - lies, deceit, manipulation.

Just… let… go…

He held onto all the harsh words that had been flung towards him throughout his life.

“You are not being true to yourself and as a comrade, it really hurts, Migoya. Just… let… go…”

Yong’s hand, at least the vision of it, rested on his head. There was no physical feeling, but rather a spiritual one as if he had received… something? The figure had twisted, changing into some sort of black goo, but its impact had made Migoya… stronger.

He let go.

He felt himself falling, knowing that some of the key pillars he had built his life on were now his to choose. He could choose what he felt, how he reacted, and, most important of all, how he viewed himself. It would not be an easy fall, but it was a step forward.

Now, Myakashi Migoya would be Myakashi Migoya without fear, without concern. He could be good or bad, without the need of approval from others. He would do what was best for him, and for those he deemed worthy of helping. He was a good person. He was a bad person. Either way, it was him who chose.

The eyes rose, looking once more on the child spirit. Apparently he had passed a test of some sort, set by this spirit and the world tree itself. The prize - to get the book he had searched for, after another task. The vile liquid left behind by the Yong apparition… he would need to consume it. For a medic such as himself the thought was beyond vulgar, and to poison oneself was counterproductive. However, this was a test - a test that he would win.

He knew his abilities as a medic would not combat the poison, nor would his unnatural constitution given to him by his use of Earth Grudge Fear. Pale hands scooped into the blackened goo, its texture akin to oil.

You sure about this? That looks like the time I put that off meat in Hyykio’s tea and he got the squirts for weeks. Mikki cautioned.

Migoya nodded silently. “Knowledge demands sacrifice.” The goo was drunk.

Almost immediately the effects of the poison would take hold, adding to the external and internal pain Migoya was going through. Unable to concentrate fully, white tendrils started to ‘leak’ out of the miniscule cuts in his skin as they flailed around in agony. Trying desperately to regain focus, Migoya willed two large bunches of tendrils to support him, and slowly he understood what he needed to do.

He always hated the curse forced upon him by Kirin, the leader of the Myakashi. Immortality was his, but at the cost of being a parasite, drawing on the energy of others hearts for all eternity. It disgusted him, a person who had relied on only himself for most of his life. This curse required him to merge with others, kill others, and steal their hearts. He hated it, but he could not change it. No - early on he had decided whose hearts he would take, and this basic moral code had prevented him from slaughtering anyone who seemed to have power that he craved.

Now, however, at this time of weakness he would use it to his advantage.

The hoot of an owl once again gave him strength, a small smile playing on his features amidst the insufferable pain that he was trying to hide. The tortures of the Myakashi during training was nothing compared to this - the physical wounds were hideous, but his psyche and soul were the truly wounded parts of him. He felt raw, naked.

Tendrils dug into the ground in front of him, pulling him forward as he blindly made his climb up the mountain side, trying to navigate once again through the hoots of the owl, and Mikki’s own navigational directions from his shoulder. Each step brought new waves of nausea, vertigo, and inner strength for what did not kill us made us stronger. The sounds of large beasts surrounded him, but still Migoya would climb forward his goal in sight (figuratively).

The strength of five hearts beat in his chest, propelling him forward.

His weakness, pride, was also a strength as he would refuse to give up.

His eyes showed determination and pain, as the journey and test continued. One. More. Step.

"There are no victims here," Migoya said through clenched teeth, no more a victim.

Nanjirou Soku

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S Rank
The posion grew in strength as they progressed up the mountainside. They were still far from reaching the peak of it and there lay many untold traps and threats along the way. One such challenge presented itself to the duo now. Mikki and Migoya would happen upon a predator, a large canine of sorts feasting on the corspe of some dead animal. Upon hearing the approach of the shinobi, it would rise, a deep growl emitting from it's throat as the creature blocked the way ahead. Clearly, it would not let them pass as it percieved them as a threat to it's safety. To make the message clear, the feral creature pawed at the ground in front of it sending up a small dust cloud. Obviously, it was not interested in making friends in the slightest. It's fur was a deep brown shade and the animal had a scar that ran across the bridge of it's nose. It had been in some fights from the looks of it and was no stranger to outside intruders. The canine circled it's prey in a sort of protective fashion eyeing the Leaf shinobi as if watching to see what they would do.

Migoya could fight if he so chose but the results could prove traumatic. In his current condition, the shinobi was weakened and extremely vulnerable to any stranger. Perhaps the predatory creature sensed this, it stopped it's pacing and narrowed it's striking yellow pupils at Migoya taking in his condition. Cautiously, the canine took a step forward going into a sort of hunting mode. It seemed that human flesh was on the dinner menu tonight. Slowly, inch by inch, it crept forward watching the pained shinobi and got as close as it dared and simply stood there watching. For a moment, all activity ceased and there was no sound....just quiet

All hell broke loose. The animal let loose a hiss and from it's position pounced upon the Chuunin, the claws flashing down at the person in front of it seeking to sink those sharp fangs into some part of it. If Migoya didn't do something quickly, he would soon end up as a feast for the predator. In all this chaos, perhaps no one would notice that the animal the canine had been chewing on was in fact still very much alive. It appeared they had interupted the creature just as it was about to deliver the killing bite. The wounded animal's breath came in ragged gasps as it struggled to get to it's feet only to fall down close to the trail edge at risk of taking a fall down the mountain. The animal in question happened to be a frail, old deer and it gurgled out what sounded like a cry for help."Nnngh...Nnnngh."What would the duo do now?
[OOC: The creativity of your actions depend if you defeat the canine ^^]
[OOC: You may choose whether to aid the deer or leave it]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
The path ahead was long and treacherous as it wound around the mountain, and as Migoya followed the hooting of the owl he tried to simply focus forwards, each step taking its toll on his body. Clearly, had he not been a revenant, the physical toll may have killed him, but his supernatural body enabled him to press forward regardless of the agony within.

This time gave him the opportunity to focus past the physical pain, and look at his spiritual nature. Was he an evil person? Was his actions generated by self interest alone, or did he have good in him? What was evil really? Was it simply not conforming to society's…

His thoughts were interrupted by a growl ahead. A large canine - a wolf or dog - stood before him. Clearly the pair had interrupted a successful hunt, and the dog was protecting its prey. Part of Migoya’s mind however screamed at him, reminding him where he was...

Nature, in general, was cruel. The death of one creature prolonged the life of another and thus the circle of life continued. This particular canine was merely doing what it had done for its entire existence - hunt, kill, eat. It was its true nature, as it was the nature of all predators. It was not evil, it was merely a survivor. Just like Migoya.

It pawed the ground in front of it, a clear warning to Migoya and Mikki of its intentions to protect itself and its meal. Normally, Migoya would have simply backed off and tried to find another way around it, but there was no other path here. Mikki would have simply killed it and tried to make a hat out of its remains, but there was too much at stake here.

Crimson eyes bore into the feral yellow of the canine, a clash of wills as it were. Migoya would not relent - he was the alpha, even in his weakened state. It was a shame that the canine did not agree.

The beast leaped forward, its vicious claws in front of it and its teeth bared to strike. Migoya simply looked forward, his eyes never leaving the creature. He had no intention to kill this beast - that would be pointless, but he did have to defend himself. He needed no handseals for what he wanted to do, but the pain in drawing the chakra from his system was immense, causing his face to wince in agony.

Seeing the weakness in his adversary the creature lashed out, claws and teeth slashing through and biting down on Migoya, rending him apart.

------

Nearby, a pale hand rose, bathed in a soft blue aura. A similar aura would now appear around the wounds of the old deer, stitching up the worst injuries, mending bone, and give the creature a measure of vitality. Indeed, the old deer would be healed and saved from being a possible meal.

Altruism however was not the way of nature however. Migoya’s actions, whilst certainly saving the deer’s life and giving it another opportunity to live another day, were not truly pure. He was a practical man, and respected the need for balance. His intrusion into this scene upset that balance where the predator had caught its prey, and his presence would disrupt the natural flow of things. Still, he did have a certain soft spot for the injured…

Healing the deer had been a choice - one that would enable him to provide the large canine with another more… tasty and tempting target, one that it knew it could catch. That hunt could continue, and Migoya could move closer to his goal without upsetting the necessary balance of life and death. If the deer was strong enough to run, then it deserved to live. If the canine was the victor, so be it.

Migoya would offer the opportunity for life. It was up to the deer how to respond.

-------

The canine however had found itself in a very sticky situation. Using a basic jutsu and a switch to a certain bloodline clone, the canine would find itself slashing and sticking to a very realistic ‘Migoya’, who seemed to reform each time the mutt lashed out. Adding to the canine’s annoyance was that small ‘Mikki’ clay dolls were running around its body, finding vulnerable areas to attach themselves to.

“Baku.”

Migoya’s voice was quiet, almost a whisper, but its results were… explosive. He had not put much into the explosions - he did not want to kill the creature - but they were enough to let the canine know that this was not a good fight to have. Tiny explosions would rake across the creatures body, and unfortunately in its most private places, hopefully scaring the creature into retreat. Even the strongest alpha trembles when its gonads are exploding...

Peals of laughter would echo in Migoya’s mind. Clearly Mikki was enjoying the whelps of the poor puppy who was now running around, a clay Migoya stuck to its back unleashing clay Mikkis’ and watching them explode and catch fire to the creatures fur.

Oh Migo-kun… this is the best ever!

Migoya however was far too practical to share in the mirth. Pain continued to assail him, now even more so as even the limited use of his chakra had taken effort. He needed to move forward.

His eyes glanced at the deer, catching the creatures eye. He did not know if the creature could understand him, but in this place anything was possible. “Go - run. Opportunities like this do not come often. I do not know how long I can hold that creature off. Live another day.”

A brief handseal would cause a circle of fire to appear around the poor canine. Fire was his natural element, so summoning it was relatively second nature, but GODS it hurt. It would last for a minute or so - hopefully long enough for the deer to flee, and Migoya to move further up the mountain.

He turned, Mikki in the hood of his robe looking back to make sure the canine would stay put, retreat, or go after the deer, or chase after him and quickly moved forward up the mountain. Migoya turned to Mikki.

"Mikki - could you cover our tracks please?"

And stop the boom doggie... as if! Oh... ok. But I want a pet one when we get home!.

Mikki seemed to concentrate for a second, sending small vibrations through his puppet body into the ground. Soon the ground rumbled and a large earthen wall burst from the narrow trail behind the pair, blocking it from anyone who wanted to follow on foot. Especially 'boom doggie'.

A cold can of energy drink was opened, and Migoya relished in the brief moment of respite before continuing on. The path grew narrower.

Still a ways to go… Gods I need a smoke.

WC: 1056

[OOC: Actions done:

- Stunt double (Rk 2) switched for Clay clone (Rk 3),
- Resuscitate (Rk 2), (Migoya has transmit life, so he doesn't need physical contact)
- Ring of Fire (Rk 2).
- Clay clone is producing artistic fireworks at rank 1 - dont want to kill the doggie, just scare it lots!
- Mikki uses Terra Shift (Rk 2) to ‘decrease terrain visibility’ - (RP blocking the path)

Please let me know if you require more info, or if you want me to change anything! Thanks!]

Nanjirou Soku

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S Rank
Surely, the canine had made a grave error as it came to find out quickly. Howling in annoyance at the object clinging to it and letting loose grunts of pain as the fire seared at it's skin, the beast shook it's mane as if attempting to shake off any foreign substance to no avail. It hit the ground knocked out, the pain too much for it to bear. The deer however on the other hand had no intention of sticking around and with as much as strength it could muster, picked itself up and disappeared up the trail. So, the journey continued and the conditons got worse. A heavyset fog began to settle and and a cold wind began to assualt the two, an indiaction the peak of the mountain was close. However, the last leg of the journey was not to be taken easily. The toxin seeping through Migoya took on it's greatest form. The shinobi would start feeling light-headed and probably would have double-vision along with slurred speech. An indication he needed to finsih the task and quickly at that. Unseen eyes followed him observing from atop the peak."What will you do now, Migoya of the Leaf?"The spirit of the World Tree uttered watching the events unfold.

Soon enough, stumbling through the fog, he would find himself before a even narrower path wide enough for only a single person and the surface was slippery littered with rocks. One mistep could send him tumbling down the mountainside to his eventual death. At the other end of the pathway, a strange eerie light could be seen, extremely bright and radiating outwards as if beckoning him. Over the strange light source, the all-too familar shape of his owl companion could be seen flying in circles over it, the sound of it's hoot echoeing all over the terrain. In one brief motion, it flew towards him and then it spoke, in the voice of the Kami."You have made it thus far. The peak lies at the end of this trail and that is where I will answer your questions. But first, you must cross this path and in order to do that, you must answer these questions honestly. Fail to do so and your final resting place shall be here."With that said, three objects appeared next to Migoya, a gold coin, a rusted kunai and a blank shinobi headband.

"Question 1 will dictate whether all I have been teaching you has been worth it. Pick one object and tell me what importance it holds to you. Question 2 analyzes whether you have grasped the true meaning of knowledge. Explain to me why you think I chose these specific items. Finally, Question 3, what item here would you offer as tribute to the great World Tree in return for the guidance you will recieve and why? Answer honestly and truthfully. There is no time limit. Only after you answer these questions may you proceed upon the path." With that said, the owl gathered up speed and soared into the clouds. The bird was a mere observer and a messenger of the Kami, something that Migoya would do well to remember if he did pass this test. They were simple questions but some people tended to leave details out intentionally and that in turn made them dishonest in their answer. The World Tree would not waste it's time with such people and so for that exact purpose, this trial been enacted to analyze all who present themself before the World Tree spirit.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Leaving the ‘Boom-doggie’ behind him, Migoya continued to struggle up the mountain, knowing that it technically was all in his mind, but then again wasn’t everything… The poison flowed through him more freely now, causing him to stop every few seconds to ‘flick’ out the pain through his hands. He had no circulatory system, so the venom had found its way through his tendrils, affecting them as surely as any other poison would affect a normal person. Several of these tendrils hung openly from the stitched gaps in his skin, twitching as he walked forward in an effort to help with the pain, like a person who shakes their hands when they jam their finger in a doorway.

He could finally see the end goal in sight, but, as if planned, another test came before him. This time he had three items put in front of him, and he had to choose one to elaborate on, explain why the three were significant to him, and which one he would gift the world tree.

Migoya’s eyes first rested upon the coin.

A memory surfaced, once long since suppressed. Rain peeled down, a monsoon it would seem, as two scraggy, wet boys breathed in and out rapidly as they hid underneath an overpass. A peal of lighting highlighted the fear that was etched on their faces.

A shiny gold coin rested in Yong’s hand and the two stared at it like they had won the lottery.

“Quick, put it away before someone steals it!” Migoya whispered harshly.

Yong, realising that in this part of town you did not show your wealth, slipped the gold coin into his sodden britches. His face was tear-stained, as was Migoya’s. Neither wanted to reflect on how they had acquired the money. Innocence was a cheaply bought commodity on the street.

Yong’s hand wrapped itself around the back of Migoya’s head and he pulled the boys forehead to his own. The pair only even did this when they were going to make an oath to each other.

“One day, I promise, we won’t ever need to… we will be big enough to...“

“I know. I promise too”.

“You… you are worth something more Migo-kun.”

“You too Yong-kun”.

Migoya, clearly affected by the venom coursing through his tendrils, fell to his knee as tears came unbidden to his cheeks at the memory, now surfacing after so long. His body wracked with pain, but even now he wept, his body shaking as he remembered.

“You… you are worth something more Migo-kun.”

The words struck home. Tiny wooden hands wrapped around the back of his neck as a small wooden puppet tried to comfort him. He looked up towards the owl, tears on his cheeks, not really knowing who he was responding to.

“The gold coin to me represents the ability to acquire, to own. We gain riches to ensure that we have comfortable lives, even though we all lose it in the end. Even small things like this coin can have value, if you choose to put value in them.”

“This coin is here, I believe, for you to remind me of my own worth…”

It sounded arrogant, and even Migoya felt somewhat embarrassed by saying it, but the creature wanted the truth.

He looked at the other items, trying to find a relevance to them.

The rusted kunai.

The blade sunk in deep beneath the man’s rib cage, almost like it belonged there. It was a strange sensation, knowing what you were doing but also realising how easy it was to take a life. This had been his first intentional kill. The man who had sold children to other men who...

“The rusted kunai to me represents what happens if one doesn't do what one is made for in life. This weapon, used properly and maintained, would be useful to the wielder but neglected and forgotten it has rusted. Even though the blade is still sharp, it is for want for a better word, useless. Though if cared for...”

Migoya flinched, the pain evident on his face.

“It can be what it is meant to be. Just like I can.”

Migoya rolled onto his back, the pain clearly getting to him as he struggled to keep focus on the test given to him. Mikki clambered onto his chest, looking like a concerned puppy that was unsure what to do.

Migoya’s thoughts now turned to the blank forehead protector, as he shut his eyes to concentrate.

It had been a simple dismissal, made so abruptly that Migoya had not had the time to actually understand the words clearly. I will not waste my eyes or chakra on you. The words of Takeshi, the vaunted Hokage of Konohagakure.

It was always a difficult thing to watch those rise from the ground to take on leadership roles without any sort of… actual leadership ability. Oh, certainly honour, the ability to fight, and resourcefulness were important, but so were management, praise, the ability to listen to those who disagreed with you. Nitish’s death had solidified Migoya’s opinion of this man as someone who was hypocritical - inhabiting the dead bodies of others whilst rebuking those who attempted to also undertake dark deeds. Imagine what a tool Nitish could have become if he had been supported, guided in how to progress rather than to let him stumble in the dark and get upset if he broke a few rules in the process. Give the man targets to kill… that way you kill two birds with one stone. Simple.

Those in leadership, apart from Mikasa who he admired, seemed to have been chosen based on blind loyalty and friendship rather than actual leadership capability (although he had not met Maki). He had legitimately tried to provide direct service to the village, only to be rebuked for ‘arrogance’. Arrogance would have been if what he said was untrue. He stole information about himself from the ANBU vault, and admitted it. One would think that would demonstrate a level of resourcefulness above the norm, but no - one had to look at it in a simple way, and justify one's own bigotry by using it against him.

The problem was now that the leadership was tainted by their own hubris, Migoya’s opinion of the village in general followed suit. Sure, he loved his return to the medical branch as it gave him something else to think about, but the way the whole Frost thing was being handled… and then to use his OWN ideas and claim them as their own… it was infuriating.

His eyes stared at the blank forehead protector as he quietly made his thoughts known.

“The blank forehead protector, to me, signifies freedom. The ability to choose one’s own path in life, and how and why one moves forward on it. You show this to explain that I can choose my own destiny.”

Migoya turned over to lay on his stomach for a second or two, sending Mikki scrambling. “Sorry Mikki-san,” Migoya muttered through the pain. “If… if I don’t make it…”

I will slap your sorry arse all the way down this bloody mountain. Get up…

Migoya laughed painfully. It felt good to laugh, even as this venom seemed to be making its final way through each of his hearts. His goal was just in sight, but even his almost indomitable will was faltering at the pain. The small ‘hoots’ of the owl and Mikki’s words however gave him a measure of hope, and it was driven by this… ‘hope’, that Myakashi Migoya pushed against the ground.

And stood.

He had broken tendrils, poison through his veins, and the fears and agony of the secret parts of his soul bared to the world, but he would NOT die without a fight.

Myakashi Migoya stood resplendent even in his pain, straightening his back, his red eyes clearing but unashamed of the tears that had fallen. Dirt and mud covered his robes, but he wore them as a badge of honour, and, as a King, he spoke with authority.

A pale hand reached over and grabbed the rusty kunai, throwing it deeply into the ground where it stood upright, a slight vibration reverberating down its body.

“I give you the rusted kunai. A promise to no longer be useless, but to sharpen my skills, clean off the past, and become what I am supposed to be. To use that which I have learned here to grow, and in so doing find a way to bring peace not only to myself, but to your own pain, and to that of others.”

A wry chuckle emerged, followed by a coughing fit tinged with blood.

“Though I’m sure they can do without the poison…”. It would not be Migoya without some sort of snide observation, given in humour.

He had come so far, and given the most honest answers he could. It was now up to this ‘spirit’ to determine his fate. In any event, Myakashi Migoya would not falter.

WC: 1507

Nanjirou Soku

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S Rank
Finally, all had fallen into place. A shadowy figure appeared at the end of the trail and proceeded down it towards Migoya. As it got closer, it was revealed to be the child they had met at the beginning of this entire endeavor. Slowly, it approached the male and took the kunai turning it over in his hand muttering to himself."So there is one...after all these years...he comes...there is one....there is one..."Nodding to himself, he tilts his head to look at the suffering shinobi. Broken, bleeding and battered before him, the Kami stares at him for what seems like an eternity. Finally, a smile breaks out on his features and he steps closer to the Chuunin."Worry no more, honorable one. Your trials end here."Placing a hand on his chest, the toxin begans to fade from the shinobi being sucked away as if it was never there. Stepping back, the Kami speaks again, this time gently as if he were speaking to a comrade."You have done much to reach this point, even risked death. For that, I commend you. The World Tree will recieve you. Before we progress any further however, allow me to introduce my self properly. I am the guardian spirit of the World Tree. I have no name, it was forgotten many years ago and people come with their own epithets for me. I have one duty, that is to ensure all who trek on this soil are pure of heart for no evil soul may come near the sacred tree."

The spirit holds out his palm offering Migoya to join him on the trail."Come, the way to the mountaintop is still some ways away. I will guide you. Along the way, I will tell you my story and in turn,
you can tell me your adventures, Migoya of the Leaf."
There was a approving hoot that sounded as the owl landed on the Kami's shoulder, it's head bowed in deference to the guardian."You have done well, my little friend. I require nothing more. Go, be free. Explore the skies. I sense fate holds great things for you."Shuffling his feathers, the bird hooted once more, a cry of confidence and nodding to Migoya as a sign of respect, soared off eventually disappearing beyond the cloud layer."You should be honored. That is no ordinary owl. He has been here for millenia watching over these skies. He is my aide in a sense. To gain his respect is remarkable. It shows the creatures of this land have accpected you."He gestures behind him to where there stands a deer, watching them trek up the trail standing on all four legs."That is the animal you saved from the canine not too long ago. You have a kind heart, Migoya. You are truly a good person and you suffered much. My story is perhaps not as great as yours but it is similar. Would you be willing to lend a ear?"As they walked, every now and then, a creature would appear watching as they trekked bowing in deference to the guardian. Clearly, they respected him and he gave them that same respect. After all, he had been the one who gave them life, hope, a chance. Perhaps it was Migoya's turn to take on that role?

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back