Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy setting storyline set in the World of Ninjas where feudal daimyo, clans and ninja villages all wage war on each other for money, glory or for a common goal.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Private A Test of Stamina and Wit [Genin Exam] [Request Shinjo]

Kagami Miro

May 28, 2019
Yen
ASP
Kill Switch
Yes
OOC Rank
S
tumblr_pdko31n9o11rjenv2o1_1280.jpg
Observant eyes have watched their pupils progression from the shadows of Kumogakure. From collapsing at the foot of the medical sennin in a fight for oxygen to the slaughter of their guardians who were spies for an infiltrating republic of crazy church cultists. The young man has made vast strides in hardening his mental stability and deadliness within the shinobi community. A finely tuned weapon for the upcoming travesty that was about to unfold. With these achievements could he best what the future had in store for him. That was for Sennin to find out with her duo trials.

Heavy rain coated the outskirts of Kumo’s villages for the past several days. Ravines began to flood and the mud from the mountain sides made climbing them dangerous for even the most skilled shinobi. Nature always seemed to best them, unless they were attuned to the Mother’s whim as an archsage. From mudslides to flash floods the journey to my pupils exam seemed impossible, but if he truly wanted to live up and break the limit of his clans dreaded history, perseverance needed to mold his mind.

Atop the vast mountain range sat an isolated temple. Legend has that the worshipers of the temple praised Raiden in all his glory and one day mysteriously vanished, leaving the building to slowly decay over the decades. Weatherization chipped and molded away at the temples outer markings yet the insides remained persevered and spectacular. There I sat in the center of a wide seal, chalk painted my calloused hands, running through the complex hand seals to summon the first trial for my dear pupil. Lightning surged and coursed around me as a stone golem emerged from in front of me. Without hesitation it cocked back its massive stone arm and lurched forward. You know how the game goes, paper split from my face and halted the giants movement right before impact. The paper seal slapped right onto it’s fist, expanding by the second the encase its hands in paper. More sheets peeled off my body, adhering to hard to reach spots behind the stone golems neck.

Once the golem was obedient all it took was a confident gesture out the door way and down the mountain to the bridge that led out from the mountain side to the mainland of Kumogakure. Miles long from the temple to the long bridge it would take some time for him to get there. Just enough so that I could craft minute paper butterflies sealed tightly with blood. A message had been encrypted into the butterfly.

'The bridge to the monastery is your first trial. Best it then move on to the next. Don’t keep me waiting.’

The paper butterfly sat gracefully on the backside of my hand. I rose it up into the air, letting the cold breeze of the mountain winds take ahold of the little butterfly and out a small window from the temple. The breeze traveled down the miles of steps down towards the basin of the mountain. It danced around the golem as it finally stepped off the stairwell and began its journey to the center of the bridge. The bridge was strong enough to hold the 3 ton stone golem but only wide enough for the golem to sit on. All traffic would be stopped and jumping off the sides meant certain death as the bottom of the ravine couldn’t even be seen from the immense fog. As the golem sat, blocking the only way to the stairwell the butterfly continued its journey to seek out a familiar chakra. One of malice and pride, living somewhere in Kumo city.

[Topic Entered]

Last edited:

Tsukinowa Shinjo

Jan 11, 2021
Yen
ASP
A crack of thunder overhead made the teenager cringe a little as he sat on the back porch of what used to be his godparent’s home. A long metal roof kept the rain off of Shinjo as he sat with his feet on the steps, inches away from the mud beneath his feet. He was wearing a loose kimono top with a pair of hakama that were tailored to be more pant-like than their original skirt-pant style; still baggy as all hell though. At his left side where two equally sized katana laying on the ground. One was stored away in a black saya with a silver tsuba shaped like a crescent moon and nothing else descriptive - not even a wrap. The other was the exact opposite; gaudy colored wrap on the handle in reds and oranges with golden filigree on the red lacquered saya. It’s tsuba was a golden disc with various winged dragons fighting each other. Another crack of lighting illuminated the darkened backyard for a moment followed by a roll of thunder. In the short image of light, the teenager’s face was revealed with a look of not regret, sadness or listless depression; but one of solemn patience.

Shinjo wasn’t sure what happened. Something inside of him must of broke when he drew his blade to kill his only two remaining family members after revealing their betrayal to Kumogkaure. He couldn’t feel guilt, at all. No matter how often he walked through the house, his old bedroom, or looked through the pictures of his parents or godparent. Not a single shred of remorse was left in the boy, and all he could see were the faces of traitors now. He had severed the link between himself and a ‘normal life’, and saw no reason to turn back now. His weapons, his strength, and even the very clothes on his back were all gifts from the Village that took him in. His family had only sought to use him for their own gains, while in comparison, Kumogakure gave him the choice to become something greater for the betterment of those around him. Shin didn’t have the choice in training, but he very well could just saddle up a low-rank position for the rest of his life. Earning enough money to have a ‘normal life’ while still serving the military that had granted him a mild freedom by forcing servitude. Then, in about ten years, he could retire. Settle down. Have his own children; things he could not see himself doing at all.
The teen’s train of thought was interrupted as his trained senses picked up on chakra entering his backyard. His ruby eyes lifted up from the dazed gaze and up into the air to witness a paper butterfly fluttering through the storm as if it was naturally water retardant. Recognizing the strange ninjutsu of his master, Shin held out an index finger and a bit of focused chakra to ‘call’ the butterfly to him. It landed on his hand and unfolded into a sheet of paper with instructions. Releasing the page into the wind it naturally drew chakra to itself to call a bolt of lightning to strike the message from the world. Shin grabbed both katana, stood, and gently tied them to his left hip before turning back towards the house to reach inside and retrieve a wide brimmed rice hat. Tying it to his chin he set out quietly towards the location he was instructed.

Shinjo climbed a great deal of the way without using his inhaler, and most of it had been sheer cliff face. Having finally figured out where the sudden disease had come from, which was poison, saw him under going some detoxifying to help clear an issue that would of made doing this impossible originally. Doing so loosened up some of the issue, but sadly the damage was done. Without major surgery the teen was forced into relying on the medication given to him by Midori…which so far, worked out fine. Even on a bad day, just a whiff of the inhaler usually carried him through training no problem. Of course, usually, he wasn’t hanging off the side of a cliff with chakra and a storm trying its hardest to blow him off. With a strong control of the chakra in the soles of his feet, Shin released the mountain side with his hands to reach back into his bag and slip the rebreather over his face before connecting the latches that created an air-tight seal around his mouth. He tapped a button near the side of the mask causing a cannister shoot a mix of air and medication into his breathing apparatus. Shin inhaled deeply, feeling the airways of his lungs suddenly expand and his vision becoming three times clearer. With the sudden burst of energy he shot it towards the chakra holding him up to leap from tiny crevice to crevice until he landed on the flat of small section of mountain. The teenager looked before him to see the old bridge, the large man-like rock formation sitting there, and the winding staircase beyond that lead further into the rolling black clouds of lightning.

Staring at the golem for a moment, he wondered how to get past. He could easily just walk under the bridge, but suspected that would of been too easy. Instead he placed his hands together to quick focus chakra before shooting the energy towards the golem. It wasn’t a particular Genjutsu, per say, but just a shock of chakra that would attempt to interrupt the chakra he assumed was controlling the pile of rocks. Of course, it could just be a random pile of rocks too.

Kagami Miro

May 28, 2019
Yen
ASP
Kill Switch
Yes
OOC Rank
S
For the past few years the mastery of the advanced paper element strengthened how well I can perform my duties. To achieve this level of mastery one’s training drained the body of cells in order to separate an arm into thousands of sheets of paper infused with charka. However, due to this fusion and a strong will I have become efficient enough to have paper butterflies perform recon duties while I remain in safety. These paper butterflies were able to pick up vibrations and frequencies and relay them to other butterflies and eventually to myself. A game of whisper down the lane but with my own unique twist, these butterflies didn’t screw up.

In a broken window I sat pressed up against the pane. My pale hand held up into the air while droplets of rain left their mark. From the view I had I could just barely make out the shape of the golem that guarded the bridge, yet my eyes remained closed. Focused on balancing how much chakra was within each butterfly, even as one landed on my hand. With its message being relayed to me saying Shinjo had appeared before the golem I couldn’t help but smirk. Traversing the first part of the mountain would be easy even for your average hiker and even a breeze for a ninja, but one with breathing troubles on top of the thinning air… that was another story and a test to see just how far Shinjo would go and if he had the mettle to push past his disability and reach his goal.

Light gleamed into my eyes as I opened them up to the rainy world. The pitter patter of rain soothed my soul on some levels, but there was still the task at hand. My hands clapped together, running through a multitude of seals. At the foot of the window twenty feet down appeared two identical paper clones each looking back at myself for instruction. Carbon copies of myself with grins to match, “Set up the seals before the temple and at the door way. My pupil will need to be fully awake to deal with what you have to offer.” That twisted grin never washed off my lips as the two clones moved out to set paper seals sealed with potent genjutsu around the temple.

Meanwhile on the bridge....

stone golem.pngThe aura of honed charka being emitted from Shinjo was enough to awaken the golem who sat with its legs tucked into its chest. Rubble and loose rock fell off its brow once it’s eyes opened up to reveal a gold hue. The little surge of chakra that Shinjo shot out at the golem bounced off and into the air. Without a word the golem began to rise up from its position and stand tall. It’s head nearly in the clouds as the height of the golem reached fifteen feet.

“Searching… for… Target.” The golems voice was slow and deep. Its stone head turned left and right to scan the area, locking onto Shinjo. Target found. Identity: Tsu.. Kinowa.. Shinjo.” The golem paused. “Trail commencing. Answer… Quickly… Or be terminated.” The golem shifted to move its arm covered in seals but fell short. “I join you in battle… fist clenched tight. We pound three times with all our might... If my rival decides he will sign for peace; I'll crush him... and the fight will cease. But if he lays his hand down flat; I'll suffer defeat… that is that. What am I?” His words were slow but the trail had been said. Without verbal warning of how many attempts Shinjo had, perhaps he fared better using as few as possible.

Tsukinowa Shinjo

Jan 11, 2021
Yen
ASP
The swordsman felt his chakra being bounced away, and quickly moved his hands to the blades waiting at his side when the golem began to move. How would he break past an actual stone opponent? Could he cut through it? Shin knew that certain swordsmen had the ability to cleave through entire boulders with the right strength and cut, but he highly doubted he could portray such a power. His technique was augmented by illusions. While he still had to be a good swordsman, enough to flow through the waves of combat, the illusions are what set up the boy’s killing blows; in theory anyways. Despite the number of heads he claimed, Shin had yet to see actual combat, and only had sparring vs theory to work off of; using Genjutsu during kenjutsu spars was frowned heavily upon. So when the rock started talking, placing before Shin the strange riddle, he actually breathed a small sigh of relief. He stepped up towards the edge of the bridge, hovering his foot just near the threshold of the first wooden plank as he stared at the golem’s golden eyes,

A rock,” he answered calmly. The riddle had been an odd one, and one that really should of taken him longer to figure out. Shinjo had no friends. His ability to just simply out do everyone academically and physically left him with no one his age he could actually trust and confide in. With his parents, they never played with him. He was forever their burden until they died. So Shin’s ability to come up with that answer had nothing to do with a children’s game since he had never had such luxuries. He analyzed the situation, the questions, and imagined something that was crushing over peace but safe when laying down. All he could think of was history lessons. Where boulders had been used to kill a peace talk by crushing both diplomatic parties, and how laying flat against an overhang could save one’s life from a falling rock in the mountains. Since his opponent was also a rock, asking rock questions, the boy just answered simply. His hand was still on his katana, waiting for the golem to tell him his over simplified answer was wrong so he could rush forward and cut the creature down. He hated the idea of using his dojutsu so soon, but he wondered if he also mused breaking the spell with an even more powerful spell; or even gain control of it for himself.

Boy wouldn’t his sensei get a kick out of that…

Last edited by a moderator:

Kagami Miro

May 28, 2019
Yen
ASP
Kill Switch
Yes
OOC Rank
S
My red hues remained locked on Shinjo. Fixated on his lips as he mouthed his answer to the stone behemoth in front of him. I couldn’t help but let out a boisterous guffaw at his answer. A wide twisted grin painted my face, “You’re in for it now, little Shinjo! Gotta think harder than that!” Meanwhile the golem processed the information. Remaining silent for just a second before he stepped back one step from Shinjo. The paper that incarcerated his hands, the paper seals on his back, hell even his master… you think the answer would’ve been obvious, especially since the golem was only the first obstacle. It only got harder since his answer was wrong.

“Good luck Shinjo. You’ll need it....” My index and middle finger rose to my lips, “Release.” At that very moment the golems shoulders fell from their hunched state to a relaxed one. The paper seal that controlled his mind burned off from its back. Now Shinjo had to deal with a violently hostile golem without restraints. It’s once gold eyes turned into a threatening red hue as his massive stone arms rose up into the air. The paper seals on his hands prevented the golem from grabbing anything so instead it took a more destructive route. With arms of stone backed by chakra infused paper fists the destructive power of the golem was double that of a normal one. And now it has a mind of its own. The golem lurched forward with an overhead attack meant to clobber Shinjo upside the head. Voiding any dark or lewd puberty thoughts a young boy like him would have, but sending his skull and brain into his stomach at the same time. If he was quick enough he could avoid it, but the golems momentum would slam through the bridge they stood on. Quick and critical thinking were needed. Unfortunately for Shinjo, by how he answered the children's riddle this could be the end of his trail.

“Come on Shinjo! How far have you gotten? Any stronger at all or are you just another Cronopolis murderer!”
My words had no way of reaching him, especially in the heat of battle. Footsteps halted my train of thought when both my clones appeared next to me. ‘If he gets past the golem we’ll set everything else into motion. With the genjutsu sensory seals in place he’ll activate them as soon as he gets to the entrance.’ ‘Going to show him hell?’ ‘Just reliving it.’

Tsukinowa Shinjo

Jan 11, 2021
Yen
ASP
The golem screamed at his reply, eyes lighting up as it rose up in a threatening manor. Shinjo’s left foot started to scoot backwards naturally, but he willed himself to stand firm as his left hand simply gripped one of the two swords at his hip. He could feel the terror of facing down a creature clearly more structurally sound than he was, but the recent experiences of life kept the fear at bay. The person-shaped pile rocks, seemingly freed part way from its prison, raised their clenched fists and rushed at the Student; one who stubbornly refuse to give ground. The creature rushing his way was easily larger that he was, no doubt had more weight, and had a strong enough chakra focal that he couldn’t simply break it with his own energy. The boy didn’t fully want to commit to combat this early and instead tried to quickly analyzed the situation by taking in his platform, the speed of which the golem was attacking, and his odds of striking a vital point while dodging. The boy’s eyebrows furrowed as he noticed that the planks were just short enough to make a dodge riskier than taking the attack full on. With a defeated sigh, Shinjo briefly closed his eyes and breathed in before steeling his mind fully.

The Student began to step forward to meet the monster in a slow, almost cocky manner. The hand that wasn’t holding his weapon ready to draw twisted its fingers to form half of a seal and begin molding chakra rapidly that he quickly shot out to his core muscle groups, thighs, and forearms. Closing the half seal into a fist the chakra activated, strengthening the power of his muscles two-fold as the overhead slam of fists came hurtling towards his head. In a movement that could be comparable to a floating petal on the wind, Shinjo hopped forward into the golem’s guard and drew out his sword with such speed it looked like he was whipping a length of silver liquid at his opponent to strike at the golem’s own core once, then again, and finally a third time with his temporary superhuman strength. The goal wasn’t to destroy the rock with his blade, but to lift the creature enough to throw the weight of its attack down and to the side so that it would miss and simply cause the pile of rocks to swing its momentum towards the emptiness on one of the bridge sides and hopefully send it hurling itself to the jagged rocks below. While the golem was temporarily suspended into the air swinging fist, he would also duck down to dart beneath it and towards the other side.

[Jutsu used: Muscle Control and Flight Aerial Strike]

Reactions: Kagami Miro

Kagami Miro

May 28, 2019
Yen
ASP
Kill Switch
Yes
OOC Rank
S
The roar of the golem echoed throughout the vast valley of mountain ranges. The rain failed to dampen its war cry, “Music never sounded so good.” I had a free hand cup my right ear, facing my head out toward the bridge to have the sound waves bounce more accurately into my ears. A smile coiled on my soft lips, watching his performance sent a chill down my spine. So quickly my own student became a tool for the livelihood of Kumogakure. Don’t get it twisted. ANBU Ops were not some ruthless mercenary gang run by a corrupted leader. The way I would lead… ANBU operatives were just as human as the rest of the ninja in the other branches, but these folks were special.

They will never become simple cannon fodder. For one, each individual within the ANBU isn’t some main branch monkey with no brain. They’re fully capable of reading my intent. If aught were to be portrayed by the way I lead, they’d read me like an open book. Shinjo fit that category too. “Smart with a weapon, able to read and react to a given situation…” A small round of applause was given to him mentally, “But.. what kind of kid thinks rock beats paper?” Toying at this silly answer to the golem my hues glanced down back at the action. Shinjo manipulated the momentum of the golem?! Instead of attacking him head on, manipulating the movement of the golem was a surefire way to gain advantage. A calculated risk, but man is he bad at-- no wait! The Golem folded underneath the pressure of Shinjo’s weapon expertise. All momentum it carried was shifted off and away towards the railing of the bridge. The massive arm swung through the wooden railing, shattering it on impact and following through. Carrying itself off the edge of the bridge the stone giant began to plummet off the edge and into the dense fog. The valley swallowed him whole.

Without a word an arm extended out towards the doorway. The clones followed the unspoken rule and adjusted themselves into their proper positions. One leaned up against a stone pillar that supported the ceiling right at the door, the other lay across the throne in the back of the room with her legs kicked up and arms folded behind her head acting like she had no care in the world while the true vessel remained in the window sill high up in the room.

Right when Shinjo would set foot onto the basin of the temple the genjutsu sal traps would activate. The world around him would remain the same, but a surge of painful flashbacks will attempt to invade his mind. In an attempt to seek solace he would be able to call out to me, only from there will the final test commence.

[Entering the Temple activates genjutsu seals, placing you under a powerful visual and audible sensory genjutsu.]
[P.S Sweet golem toss.]