Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Come On Shore And We Will Kill And Eat You All [A]

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Approach to Fuyuki City Port, Lightning Imperial Colony of Roenesia
Approximately 2000 kilometers from Kumogakure no Sato
…3 weeks from initial departure

“Raiden be praised…” muttered the Captain of the KNS Hirasawa Yui as he spied the seagulls circling overhead. For the first time since Lightning Country’s coastline had faded from view, there were now birds in sight, and birds meant that land was near again. The trade route between Kelmura and Fukuyi City was a well-plied one and a 28-ballista, three-masted frigate like the Yui was well-equipped for such a journey. However, on the open waters the ultimate arbiter of life or death was still the mercy of Lady Luck. Even in the age of modern sail, a storm and swell could mean the death of everyone on board. It had been three weeks afloat for Shima Haruka - time composed of mostly boredom and seasickness coupled with self-seclusion to avoid inflaming unwanted attention from the crew, followed by days of drenching tropical rain that heralded the impending start of the monsoon season. A storm midway through had fractured the mainmast and shredded sails, adding a week onto their journey. But finally, there was hope. “We should lay anchor by the mid-day, Milady,” said the Captain, collapsing his spyglass and placing it back into his greatcoat. “If you are the type of shinobi who can climb, you might be able to see the shore from the top of the foremast. Well, I’ll leave that to you,” he said, saluting and turning to bellow at his men.

A heavy fog enshrouded the Yui, and it all looked the same to Haruka. Still, for lack of anything else to do and desire to occupy her stiffening muscles with some substantive activity, she started to ascend the mast. Some of her conditioning had been lost during the interminable journey, but she reached the crow’s nest quickly, and felt the wind to get her bearings. Even up here however, it was still a mass of fog, and she strained to see ahead.

Just as she was about to give up, the sun seemed to cut through the roiling mists like a knife through cotton, and shone brightly upon her shoulders. She could hear the screeching of the gulls clearly and traced a V-shaped formation of them back to shore where she laid eyes on Roenesia, land of the Shu’ar, for the first time. Fukuyi City was a sprawling gray tumor covered by a haze of dust and smoke, but beyond it, the rolling hills and mountains beyond were impossibly, intoxicatingly green and stretched forever into the distance.
Later…

Haruka took her final step off the bowing gangplank, glad to be rid of the ship and the sailing life for a good long while. Around her, the bustle of activity was comparable to what she had seen in the busy port of Kelmura. The Yui was not the only ship docked at Fuyuki, of course. In fact, the entire port seemed jammed to the gills with ships of all sorts, from small trading clippers to a massive, 74-ballista Ship of the Line moored nearby and well-guarded by a detachment of surly Royal Marines. Around her, the air was filled with scents ranging from unimaginably foul to addictingly floral, and she had probably never heard so many languages being screamed, shouted, and barked at once. It was impossible to establish any sense of order to the place on first glance. Patrols of Imperial Army boltermen marched past ragged Water Country refugees who avoided the hoofs of camels driven by Wind Country tribesmen bedecked in the raiment of dervishes. Traveling priests of the Fire Country stood on shipping crates, exhorting the populace that to kill members of the NeoKonoha corporation was not in fact murder, while domestic servants emptied chamber pots onto the cobblestones not ten paces away.

“Jounin Shima…Jounin Shima! Is that you?!” asked a harried-looking man dressed in a butler’s suit as he approached her carefully. “I’m from the Governor’s office. I’ve been sent to retrieve you via carriage and take you to see His Excellency immediately. We were all worried you’d been shipwrecked, but we’re glad to see you arrived in one piece. Allow me to take your baggage, Milady! There’s a carriage waiting,” said the Butler, as he bent down to take her suitcases…

At that moment, a flash of white light registered in Haruka’s peripheral vision, followed by a subtle disruption in the currents of the air… Her training kicked in, and she immediately grasped the butler’s suitjacket by the lapels and threw him to the ground along with herself.

Not a millisecond after she had done so, a pressure wave lanced through the crowd, tossing bodies in the air. A fireball erupted from the side of one of the shops lining the street, spraying glass fragments and nails into eyes and faces. But no sooner had it started, than it was over. Ears ringing, Haruka would be able to see the carnage around her. The shop where the explosion had issued was a smoking ruin, and charred bodies studded with shrapnel lay still out front. Further away, people lay writhing on the ground, moaning in agony while clutching severed stumps where limbs used to be.

“Milady…” coughed the butler as he looked at the scene, wild-eyed. “We should…we must go…”

“Stop him! I saw him set the bomb!” shouted a soot-faced woman nearby as she pointed to a running figure who bolted out of the gathering crowd. Imperial Army soldiers nearby growled and started to pursue, their bayonets glinting in the sun. From what Haruka could tell, the running figure was no more than a young teenage boy. Still, he looked different from the rest of the crowd – swarthier skin, short black hair in an unfashionable bowl cut, and most of all, streaks of red henna paint on his face and arms. It was the first time she had seen a Shu’ar face to face. And…he was running right at her.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The piercing ring still vibrated through her head as she steady herself into a stand. The minor case of tinnitus wasn't enough to deter her from hearing the frantic pleas of the office official who had come to retrieve her. Her dusky almond eyes laid upon the field of destruction with silent fear. A few steps off the boat and onto the island, Haruka was already facing a tumultuous situation. It was only a taste of what was to come she feared. The island sun shone brightly on the crowd of confused who had gathered around to see the damage. She felt the hand of the worrisome servant fall onto the cold skin of her arm, gently pulling her along.

As the scream of a woman rose above the dull chatter of the mass, Haruka halted cold in her place. Her blazing raven hair twirled on a stream of air as she faced towards the commotion. The Shu'ar people were unlike any other of mankind. They possessed dark olive skin burnished under the intolerable heat. The only other man she had ever met to have such swarthy skin was Hoshikata. Haruka had been enchanted by his appearance, as she was by the Shu'ar boy. However, it was not enough to distract her from taking action in the instant.

He charged towards her at a blind and frantic pace. She found it alarming that he ran right at her. Did the insurgence already catch wind of her arrival to Roenesia? If they got a hold of that piece of information, did the Shu'ar intend to stop Kumogakure from sending more aid to oust their rebellion? The boy could be laced with more explosions. Haruka seemed more frightening than frightened as he rushed forward.

Her jaw was set in tight aggravation as her eyes narrowed in on the bolting target. He was still a safe distance away when she released a frigid ice blast. The subzero cold latched onto his legs and knife deep into the muscles of his calves and thighs. She could see the skin of his bare feet ice over, so nearly close to freezing to the ground. He would be immobile long enough for the Imperial Army soldiers to seize him. She wasn't about to take chances at exposing herself so close to the Shu'ar who kneeled on the ground. A soft, barely visible white aura enveloped Haruka tightly in it's protective diameter as she continued to coldly stare down at him.

Forgive me, sir. I was sent here to complete a job. When an opportunity such as this comes blindly rushing towards me, I cannot turn tail and ignore a piece of the puzzle that wishes to surrender itself to me.” Haruka told her welcomer without taking her glare off the ebony haired teen.
<i>
</i>
Frigid Ice Blast and Barrier used

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Haruka’s ice blast caught the running boy in mid-stride and he toppled forward on immobile lower limbs, his face registering a mix of shock and fear, as opposed to anger. His eyes widened as he caught sight of the Cloud émigré for the first time, and he croaked out a single word.

“Makuahine...”

Immediately after he had uttered the word, however, he was quickly tackled by a pair of burly, red-jacketed Imperial corporals. The boy was hoisted off the ground by his collar and a ham-sized fist smashed brutally into his face, knocking a bloody tooth to the cobblestones.

“Alright boys, desist already,” growled a Leftenant as he cantered up to the men on horseback. “Take this one to the gaol. He’ll hang after the interrogation,” he sighed. “For now, see to the cordon and maintain order.”

“I didn’t do it,” shouted the Shu’ar in a pleading tone. “I was buying milk…for grandmother. She is sick!”

“Tell that to the magistrate, little shit,” said the officer as the men started to drag their prisoner away. The man noticed Haruka now, and raised an eyebrow at her. “Madam, your pardon,” he said in a not-entirely-gentlemanly tone before turning his horse and trotting back to the crowd.

“Thank you, Milady,” said the butler, bowing deeply. Despite his ruffled appearance, he had managed to slip back into the role of cool, collected servitor easily. “That boy was likely targeting you, I fear. Had you not acted, he might have done us grievous harm. Now, if you would please accompany me to the carriage. Governor Tsutsukakushi is doubtless worried sick over this recent development and it would ease his concerns greatly to see you hale and healthy,” he said, taking her bags and heading to the carriage.

Compared to the dirt, dust, and general bustle of Fuyuki port, the approach to the governor’s mansion was a polar opposite. Fuyuki City was built on a sloping hill overlying the only natural deep-water harbor on the island. The epicenter of commerce was to be found near the water among the tall ships, bellowing traders, and the hordes of smaller skiffs and barges upon which lived entire families of the Hoklo boat people, who seemed to crop up in the large ports as inevitably as mussels on ship ropes. No one quite knew their origins, only that they simply were. Further from the port and its shops and warehouses, came the shantytowns and slums that ringed the port and housed the brothels, gambling dens, smuggling fronts, thief guilds, and every other business for the ne’er-do-wells of any busy city. Further up the hill, the more respectable areas of town housed the more prosperous merchants and their servitors – typically those who had found favor with the Lightning bakufuu government and had gotten an Imperial Warrant of Trade. And on the highest point of the hill, overlooking the entire city, were the houses of the nobility and the Governor’s Mansion, which Haruka now found herself facing for the first time.

The villa was built in a classical Lightning architectural style, with grandiose columns and scrollwork over painstakingly whitewashed stone, creating an elegant-looking edifice behind a wrought-iron gate. The outer wall, however, had broken glass mixed into and jutting out of the concrete – a reminder of the tenuous situation on the island. Even Haruka’s carriage was forced to stop for a long time at the gates, while the Imperial troops outside swept under the vehicle’s undersection for hidden bombs or smuggled assassins. Eventually, she was able to dismount in front.

“Welcome to His Lordship’s Manor, Milady!” echoed at least fifty bowing maids who lined the main, high-ceilinged entrance foyer as Haruka and the butler walked through. Soon after, they were in the central rotunda of the manor, lined with gracefully cascading stairs that seemed to twine into each other. A surprisingly young-looking man in a pinstripe suit smiled, and trotted down to meet them.
Ringo_zps30bfbb5b.jpg

1I3I9.png

“Shima-sensei, I was so worried by what happened! It warms my heart to see you unharmed,” said the man, bowing gracefully to her before gently taking her offered hand and kissing it in gentlemanly fashion. Whoever he was, he was good – he did not drool over it or attempt to lick her fingers, and did not scrape her knuckles with stubble. “I am the Governor of this beautiful land, Roenesia, and a Marquess in the Council of Nobles of the Bakufuu of Lightning Country. You have come exactly at the right time. I will make sure to send your Raikage appropriate thanks,” he said, leading her to a nearby set of golden-embroidered couches. “Please, sit. You must be absolutely exhausted by three weeks on a ship, not to mention the incident at the port. My household servants are yours to command, and you will be staying of course in my mansion, as befits a lovely young lady of your lineage and status. Are you hungry? It is just after teatime, but I would not bear to see your needs unmet. Colonel Inumuta should be arriving soon, as should Leftenant Tokishima of the ANBU."

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Impassive eyes and her cold soul stared and passed judgement on the Shu'ar boy. The hopeless pleading did not move the frigid heart of Haruka as the guards seized him. The word he uttered was strange on her tongue. Her lips silently mouthed the word to remember. Perhaps it would somehow help later on. For now, she was glad to wipe the streets of just one insurgent soldier who dared to take the lives of the innocent. Haruka caught the leftenet's gaze and gave only an impassive nod as he cantered his steed back towards the gathering of civilians.

Yes, we wouldn't want to worry the Govenor...” Haruka's eyes fixed on the billowing smoke that rose up high to the heavens to kiss the golden sun. As he laid the last of her parcels in the trunk of the carriage, she swiftly turned to join him. Although she had proven herself brave, the Shima girl couldn't quite shake her feeling of uneasiness for the uncertain future of this volatile land.
***​

She spent the remainder of the carriage ride staring out the window as the official pointed out the lay of the land. She was quite surprised to see such a village so well developed. Not a single word had ever been breathed to her about such a place. Until recently, Haruka hadn't spent much time learning of the events that happened outside of the hospital walls. It was funny how she was now directly in the center of a changing land and could influence its growth by her actions. It was a heavy burden, but she would not let herself down.

An impressive welcoming committee told Haruka that the Govenor spared no expenses. His home was anything but humble and the structure nearly drowned in lavish style. She also deduced he was a careful man, who perhaps feared the barbarians of Roenesia. His impenetrable wall was of horrific splendor and design. Only a madman would dare scale the wall of jagged glass. He was orderly in his keeping of security, though Haruka could have been spared such a tedious sweep. All was done in the name of safety. She wasn't thrilled to meet the Govenor, but was curious to see what kind of man he revealed himself to be.

Rather handsome and young-looking man startled the quiet with his booming welcome that across across the space. Her bow marked a high respect for the gentleman as she came to a quick conclusion that he was the Govenor. As with any etiquette of the nobles, he took her hand and kissed it. However, he was less traumatizing that some of the scrubs who's lips sulked about on her hand and fumbled with their own body mechanics. He had grace that rivaled any Haku and brilliant mannerisms. “It is an honor to help in any way I can, Governor Tsutsukakushi.

She gratefully took her place on a couch. Her hands folded ever so gently together as if holding a delicate lily between them, and there they laid on her lap. She held high attention towards the Marquess. “My lord, your hospitality cannot be more welcomed. I am in your debt for extending such a welcomed stay in such a residence. I hope I can repay your kindness in turn.” Her chin tilted ever so slightly downward in rehearsed reverence. “Some refreshments would be welcomed.” She laid her dusky eyes upon the Marquess. “About the incident, my lord, was there a spread of news about my arrival in the port prior to the ship landing? The timing of the bombing seemed all too carefully planned for it to be merely coincidence.
<i>
</i>

MFT. 608

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ringo_zps30bfbb5b.jpg

1I3I9.png
"At once, Milady!" replied the Governor, snapping his fingers. With seemingly record speed, a maid was already at the table laying out a tray of small sandwiches cut across the diagonal. Made with ham, cheese, and fresh lettuce dressed with a ground mustard slaw, they were also small enough to be daintily swallowed in one bite, so as not to risk inflicting the annoying but common situation of having to finish chewing in a hurry in order to answer a question. With the snacks came two large glasses of lemon-infused water with large chunks of ice clinking happily in the glass. In a tropical island like Roenesia, refrigeration was still a rarity, and thus even ice was a provenance of the super-rich.

“About the incident, my lord, was there a spread of news about my arrival in the port prior to the ship landing? The timing of the bombing seemed all too carefully planned for it to be merely coincidence," she said, right as the Marquess popped a sandwich in his mouth. His wink told her that he had been caught in an inopportune moment but he seemed to shrug it off with ease.

"Please, call me Ryuunosuke-san. Or, if you feel awkward with that, you may call me Governor Ryuunosuke, whichever one," he said airily. "Now...hmm. Your ship's captain did radio to inform us about the delay, but he was unable to give a clear date of arrival until, well, today. It was to the point where I had my butler, the gentleman who took you here, practically living at the Port for the last three days. It indeed strikes me as suspicious that there would be a bombing right when you disembarked, but...well, I can't honestly say if it was planned," he shrugged. "But what I can say is that this is a clear example of why I asked your village for help, and why I asked for someone of your caliber. You see, terrorist acts like the one you just witnessed are, it shames to say, very common in my colony. In fact, they are almost a daily occurrence. Bombings, murders, sabotage... They've all increased dramatically in the last few months, to the point where my citizens are perversely starting to think of such events as normal. Can you believe that?

"We've always had rebels here - any colony does. However, for the last twenty years we've managed to cut down on actual acts of violence mainly through improving the lives of the Shu'ar natives. Embetterment through honest work, I say. But I believe that because this colony is about to become its own nation soon, that perhaps the more disaffected and manipulative elements out there are manipulating even normal Shu'ar into violence. They feel that it's time to 'throw off the shackles of the Lightning men' or some dosh. Nonsense, I say. We've done more to improve the standard of living on the island in a decade than they have for hundreds of years. I make sure that the riches we produce are not wholly surrendered to the motherland, but rather, reinvested in Roenesia! And I think that the majority realize this, but then again, there are some real sociopaths out there.

"The sad part, Shima-sensei, is that the majority of these attacks do not harm the Kaminarijin who live here, but other Shu'ar who have been successful in assimilating into our way of life and who are simply trying to provide for their families. Just last week, I was informed of a horrific murder of an entire family by the rebels. It was a Shu'ar man who worked as an overseer on one of the plantations. He, his wife, and even his sons were killed in cold blood. Only a little daughter was left alive. I visited her in the hospital. The poor thing had endured so much psychological trauma that she will likely never speak another word in her life! You see, this is the sort of evil we have been living with, and the sort of evil I wish for you to help me stop," he sighed.

"My Lord, Colonel Inumuta has arrived. Shall we see him here?" asked a maid.

"Yes, of course. And what of Leftenant Tokishima?" asked the Governor, to which the maid shook her head.

"I am sorry, My Lord, but there has been no word of him."

"Very well. Shima-sensei, I apologize for his behavior. If you would like, I will have my butler show you to the barracks nearby where I believe him to be," said the Governor. At this point, a burly, rather rotund Imperial Army colonel now huffed and puffed into the room. He was probably one of the fattest, sweatiest men Haruka had ever seen (remember, Cloud is full of bishounen guys), and with every step it seemed that he might keel over and die of respiratory arrest.

"Milady Shima-sensei," he wheezed, taking off his damp tricorne hat and bowing slightly. "I am Colonel Inumuta Shin... Third Roenesian Bolters... I understand you are here... To assist with the suppression of... The Shu'ar insurgency... I must admit I did not know... What to expect... All I can say is... Interesting..."

"Thank you for your presence, Colonel," said the Governor, smiling serenely. "Now, I realize that of course, Shima-sensei here is under the authority of Kumogakure and you are of course under the authority of Marshal General Nobunaga, however I would ask you two to work together to the furthest extent allowable in order to solve our problem. As a Jounin of Kumogakure, Shima-sensei is the rank-equivalent to you, my good Colonel," he pointed out, to which Shin nodded.

"Yes... Well, my men are mostly Kaminarijin... Some Shu'ar there too, but loyal... Well, Shima-sensei I hope... You can help us... You'll probably want to talk with Masao... The ANBU Leftenant here... Well, if there's no more business for today... I bid you good day..." he said.

"Would you like a drink, Colonel? You look slightly unwell," said the Governor.

"No thank you Governor... I am well, never better... By your leave..." he said, as he saluted and turned an about-face in surprisingly decent miltiary fashion to leave.

"A good man he is, even if slightly unsuited for tropical conditions," said the Governor with a smile. "Now, do you have any questions for me? Or shall I have my butler take you to try to find your ANBU subordinate?"

Yen
ASP
Deaths
As he spoke of the horrors of the Shu'ar rebels, Haruka couldn't help but swallow down fear. She was not ready for a tidal wave of destruction so early in her career, but she knew she'd have to swim or sink. Her father intended to scare her out and back to his safe and cozy arms. Back to the life of being nothing but a beautiful bargaining chip in a piece of his master plan to further the Shima clan. She had created the first wave, and he thought to push her back with his might. Haruka would show him. Even if she slipped up a few times, eventually the Shima woman would ride the wave to shore.

She mindlessly ate a few finger sandwiches with indoctrinated grace and etiquette, much more interested in the Govenor's tales than her baying hunger. He wanted to shrug the incident of native brutality off as a coincidence, but Haruka couldn't ignore the nagging sentiments that it was somehow timed. But, timed by who? The rebels, if they meant to end Haruka before she even began. Or someone else. Someone who wanted to manipulate the people into fear of the Shu'ar. Someone like...

"My Lord, Colonel Inumuta has arrived. Shall we see him here?" asked a maid.

Ryuunosuke chit chatted away with the maid, as Haruka's thoughts sunk away from her previous hypotheses. It was too early to be making such assumptions. She'd have to get a feel for this island and its residents. The Raikage (more or less) sent her here to aid the Governor and the people of Lightning country. She would do just that. She was a soldier of Cloud, a tool of war. Nothing more. Speaking of tools of war, a man who looked anything but a soldier came waddling in. Every crevice of his bulging fat was soaked in sweat as he huffed and wheezed. She did nothing more than put on a charming smile. She rose up as he addressed her and she returned a bow of respect with a sweet smile. "It will be an honor to work with you, Colonel."

"Yes... Well, my men are mostly Kaminarijin... Some Shu'ar there too, but loyal... Well, Shima-sensei I hope... You can help us... You'll probably want to talk with Masao... The ANBU Leftenant here... Well, if there's no more business for today... I bid you good day..." he said.

Masao? Haruka didn't realize the name was so common. Still, the mere mention of that man's name made Haruka repress a sigh. She was already missing him. She missed his guidance. Now was not the time to be a child though. The Haku half breed bowed once again as she reluctantly let Shin take his leave. He seemed a decent fellow, but rather incapable of commanding. Haruka gathered that the Colonel was probably a good man, but for all his goodness missed when those around him were full of venom. He probably sought to do well for his country, nothing more. He was quite like someone she knew.

"No, sir. I will leave the rest of your day to you. I think it's time I move onto meeting the ANBU." A smile painted her lips once more.
<i>
</i>

[MFT. 536]

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ringo_zps30bfbb5b.jpg

1I3I9.png
"Ah, please do not call me 'sir,' Milady Shima," chided the Governor. "It makes me feel old and un-hip, as it were. Even though I am sixty years old in reality, I dare say I'm quite different from the rest of the old farts on the mainland," he chuckled. "I can see that you are eager to attend to the business at hand. I admire that in a young person. Soroi, if you would," he called to his Butler, who immediately strode to Haruka's side and bowed deeply.

"Milady, your belongings have been secured in your room. As My Lord wishes, I will now accompany you to the ANBU garrison in Oldtown. It is merely a ten-minute carriage ride away. Please, follow me at your earliest convenience," said the man, remaining in a bow as servitor protocol demanded.
Later...

As the butler had promised, their destination was an exact ten minutes away from the gates of the Governor's manse, give or take a few seconds early. The Marquess lived on top of a hill overlooking everyone else, which of course added to the ease of travel. And as Haruka had seen, the further one got from the top, the less refined and comfortable her surroundings became. Oldtown was the colloquial name of a section of hill straddling the border between the shantytowns and the more respectable quarters, and in fact had once been where the more respectable denizens of Fuyuki City lived before they too decided to move upward both metaphorically and geographically. Nowadays, it served mainly as the center of Roenesia's military command, and housed many of the barracks and drill grounds of its armed forces. Its placement was no accident - there was no better deterrent to the expansion of the disenfranchised than closely-packed, surly soldiers with too much time on their hands.

"Milady, the Kumogakure Section lies beyond this gate," said the butler, bowing as Haruka stepped off of the carriage to face a featureless steel entry gate marked with a spray-stenciled Cloud ANBU symbol on it. Whoever had come up with the design of a skull with crossed swords behind it had obviously possessed no taste whatsoever, of course. The barracks themselves, like many on these streets, were actually former residential houses themselves and shared the same design features - most notably a ring of habitable rooms surrounding a large central courtyard, often with a fruit tree planted in the middle. The outer walls were high and constructed of poured concrete, and the gates were either metal or wood. "The carriage and I shall wait here at the entrance to pick you up once your business with Leftenant Tokishima is concluded for the day," he reminded her obsequiously.

To Haruka's annoyance, there did not seem to be any sort of intercom, bell, or hell, even door-knocker present on the gate to signal one's arrival, nor was there any sign of a guard as might usually be present in front of other military barracks. As she raised her knuckles to rap on the metal, she was further surprised by the fact that the door simply swung open partway without prompting. Not from any sort of fancy jutsu or automated system, but simply from the fact that the damned thing was unlocked and obviously uncared for.

She stepped inside, and was immediately assailed by the stench of what could only be stale beer and...was that...urine? that might as well have been an A-rank jutsu right to her nose. The courtyard itself was nothing less than a gigantic midden - a garbage pit strewn with crumpled beer cans, decomposing chicken bones, rotting appliances (there was at least one broken, bolt-ridden washing machine laying neglected in a corner of the yard), ratty mattresses, and...was that...an inflatable sex doll? hanging from the dead peach tree in the center of the yard. No one seemed to be present, although she could hear the percussive thumping of music coming from one of the rooms ringing the trash-yard.

Making her way toward it, the music grew louder, and the smell of sweat, beer, and vomit grew stronger. Now she could hear men's voices of varying ages, and when she attempted to parse what they were saying, the dialogue seemed to be an unintelligible mix of cursing, whooping, grunting, and of course, lots of use of the word "cunt". As she anxiously moved aside an improvised bead-curtain (actually, whoever had made it had done an excellent job arranging different calibers and colors of shell-casings), she gazed on the happenings within.

Young men, mostly in their teens and some in their twenties, lounged around on stained couches chugging beers and taking drags of the local hallucinogenic plant rolled into cigarillos, while others were busy dancing provocatively with scantily-clad and similarly inebriated women who Haruka could only assume were likely straight from the lower sections of town. Some of the couples had skipped the dancing entirely and were approaching truly lewd levels of physical contact on other couches. The entire room smelled pungently of tobacco and shisha and no one seemed to give a damn about Haruka's intrusion.

Just as she was about to raise her voice or make a scene, however, one of the men sitting on a nearby couch rose and stumbled forward, stopping just short of running into her. He gasped a half-empty bottle of whiskey by the neck with one hand, and a cheap cigar in the other. Even though his expression was a cross between a leer and a squint and his good eye was streaked with red, he was clearly of Kumo origin, as he was indeed extremely handsome (like any other guy in Cloud). He was also, for all practical purposes, and like many other men in the room, practically naked. Except for the bush hat worn cockeyed on his head and the eyepatch covering his left eye, all he had on was a pair of sandals and a pair of the shortest shorts Haruka had likely ever seen. As he looked closer at her, she thought she saw a glimmer of recognition in his eyes. Finally, someone at least realized who she was...
RicoSuave.jpg

cloud_anbu.gif
"'Oly shite, Sweet fokkin' Shinbatsu and Jaysus motherfokkin' Saito! I mean, shite! I thought I'd asked the Mama-san for a beauty, but she fokkin' sent us a fokkin' Angel! Okay, look babe, before you set foot inna room, 'ear me out, right? I'll give you five 'undred, no, a thousand yen to skip the rest of these blokes and love me long time, right?!" he asked her, sheer lust painted on his face.

"Oy, fuck you, man!" shouted out another voice from the inside. "Tryin' ta escape with the goods for yer own fun? You 'avin' a giggle, mate?! I told you, we all get to SHARE!"

To Haruka's doubtless chagrin, it was clear that these idiots had mistaken her for a call-girl.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
</COLOR><COLOR color="gray">The Shima woman stared down the naked cowboy with a deep icy rage that screamed 'run'. This unit was in disrepair, but that was the nice way to put it. This squadron of ANBU was completely fucking wrecked and Haruka was sure she'd need to call on the help of Jesus Saito, Shinbatsu, and Raiden himself to give her the strength to gain some control of the debauched youth. A few seconds of silence passed, or what could be the closest to silence despite the blar of the music and the garbled trash of speech that ran through the shack. Never in her life had the lady ever been faced with such conditions before. She could feel years of Shima dignity draining from her pale face as she decided that politeness would get her no where with these barbarians. "Oy, mate..." She sharply spoke with seething sarcasm. Haruka sauntered forward to him, leaning her hip against the lewd bulge of his shorts. Her sweet smile armed to lure him.

"Why don't you cool off?" Her voiced hardened with steel Her hand snuffed out the flame of his cigar as she crunched it with the palm of her icy grip. A deathly hand of a bitterly cold wind swept through the shack as she exhaled with annoyance. The heat purged itself from the area with rapid success before the man could move to stop her. His feet were already freezing to the ground as the crackling sound of ice groaned through the structure of the shack. The ill prepared men all suffered the same fate as bits of their limbs stuck to the stained couches, rotting walls, and damaged floor of the room. She stepped back from him with a cruel smile. "Let me be brief, before an extreme case of frost bite sets in." Her voice rose with volume and confidence as she addressed her captivated audience.

"My name is Shima Haruka. By the command of your Raikage, I will be acting as commander to you men. As your new acting commander, I will lay a few ground rules about the manner in which you all will carry yourself. You will address me with respect. You will never make the mistake again that I am one of your whores. I expect you all to call me Lady Shima, or ma'am, or any other fucking varying titles of respect your mothers probably taught you long ago but you have lost. I will not have this disorder or disgrace on the name of Kumogakure for as long as I shall remain here on this island. There will be no more abhorrent trips of binge drinking and getting high off your asses. You are ANBU for fuck's sake. I don't really care if you are the excess fat of the corps that Kogami-Sama has sent here to rot in shame. If I have anything to do with it, he will regret sending you all away by the time I am through.
Do I make myself clear?"

MFT. 505

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The Leftenant cracked a nervous smile in response to Haruka’s death-glare.
RicoSuave.jpg

cloud_anbu.gif
“Er, look, maybe I shouldn’t a’ started so low, aye? You’re ‘asily worth five thousand and I can pay you tomorrow…” he started, before Lady Shima’s very shapely hips butted up right against his ‘classified location’. “…oy, now we’re in business, yeah?”

“Why don’t you cool off,” she snarled, crushing his cigar, prompting a look of indignant horror. He did not get to object further before her jutsu swept through the filthy party, freezing limbs in place and snuffing out all manner of illicit smoke-inhalation devices. Screaming, the whores they had been entertaining rushed out of the room from both the front and back, brushing past Haruka mindlessly in their terror.

“Fuck!” cursed the Leftenant, attempting to move, as she began to address them with equal parts disgust, malice, and motherliness.

“…Do I make myself clear?”
Nudist_Nonon_zps0fcfc671.jpg

cloud_anbutraining.gif
“Oh, perfectly,” purred an elderly-sounding female voice behind Haruka. The lady turned, only to find herself facing the wrong end of the barrel of a .44-caliber Gateru Anaconda rebolter aimed right between her eyes. Its wielder was a surprisingly petite, young-looking woman wearing an ANBU jungle-ops tactical harness and a beret with a large, emblazoned Death’s Head on it. She was also not alone. From the second story of the open courtyard, others had trained their weapons on Haruka as well. Although they wore decidedly unprofessional gear (mostly boxer shorts and beer-can-holder-helmets), their weapons were definitely real. No less than three FN-BALs, a brace of ST-15s, and even one porky fellow hefting an 84mm Kushin-Gustav recoilless arbalest.

“Orochi Nonon’s the name, and I’m the sergeant here. The naked ape you have frozen to the ground is my CO, Leftenant Tokishima Masao. I like that you stopped the shitty music and got the whores to stop spreading the clap, but you did just attack our compound unprovoked with no proof that you’re sent from Cloud. Especially since you seem to have mixed up who the Sennin is. Masao-kun? Shall we toss her on her ass?”

The naked cowboy fumed, gritting his teeth in the most constipated of expressions.

“No, Sarge. Tell the men to cease fire,” he sighed painfully. “She got me fair n’ square. We truly are a buncha chavs, and I believe her when she says she’s from Central Command. Release us, Sweethear-, er, Milady, and we’ll hear your orders. Also, why’d you mention Kogami Ayumu as if he's the big shit all of a sudden? What happened to that bloke Tagiushi? He get the pox or something?” he asked, a look of concern crossing his face.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
</COLOR><COLOR color="gray">Despite the wide array of ballistics that breathed down her neck and threatened imminent destruction, Haruka faced the woman and her band of hidden shinobi with a bemused smirk. It was a faint line on her lips, as she tried not to signal her smile as a threat or a challenge to see how many projectiles her body could take before she had been drained of all her blood. Perhaps Natsu had been right, subtlety might not be her forte. At least when it came to hostile situations and combat. She wondered why she had acted so rashly all of the sudden. The conjuring of ice had been a quick thought she had hardly processed. Regret wasn't something she felt about her decision though. She was confident she had made herself look strong and intimidating. Perhaps a bit thoughtless, but that could easily be remedied. It seemed their disorderly conduct was easily remedied by a simple threat on their unit. Comforting to know they at least had their shit together.

She expected the man's pride to be wounded. Much to her surprise, he disagreed with the sergeant's suggestion to quickly rid the compound of the Haku woman. Although she heard the humiliation in his tone. Haruka had pointed out an obvious flaw in security. She could have been anyone. Hell, she could have easily walked in and bombed the shack. Along with their weakened guard against strangers, they also hadn't spoken with their fellow ANBU back in Kumogakure. Haruka exchanged a look between Masao and Nonon before firmly explaining herself.

"My apologies for such an...intrusive introduction." Although she hardly sounded apologetic. She pulled a letter out carefully from her pocket. Presenting the parchment to the two, she continued, "that is my mission's order letter from Sennin Takaki, to clear up any trepidation you might have about the legitimacy of my command." Her words were aimed more at the small woman who still held her rebolter with suspicion. "I am here to seize direct control of the ANBU forces and joint command of the Imperial Army so that I might neutralize the rising insurgence that threatens Roenesia. As for your question, Leftenant Tokishima, Kogami-Sama has assumed the role of Sennin for quite some time. I am unsure of what happened to the previous Sennin though." The words settled in the air. She was unsure of how they'd feel. No one had ever been notified here. She'd most likely feel wounded if a major change to her branch occurred and she wasn't notified. And she was just one person.

"I'd like to hear all you know about the ZaPRA. Any suspected members, captured members, past, suspected, or current associates. Recent terrorist activity or anything suspicious would help too." She wasn't much for talk, but neither were they she'd wager. She had gathered so little information from the Marquess. The fear that the squadron of ANBU were only a little less unaware was possible. It'd be a small slip up the slope, but she'd hound out for any leads. What else did she have to do but snuff out this insurgence? She'd most certainly wouldn't spend her time partying or flexing her social graces for small talk with the wealthy of the island. She was on her own. Natsu wasn't here to be the mouth that spoke. Nor was Masao here to guide and lead as he always had. It was time to see what she was capable of.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The two ANBU took the letter Haruka offered suspiciously, as if to sniff and bite it to prove its provenance. After taking a moment to read its contents, however, Nonon slowly put her rebolter back in its shoulder holster. The other ANBU followed suit, lowering their weapons. Masao sighed under his breath.
RicoSuave.jpg

cloud_anbu.gif
“Sergeant Orochi, if ye would,” he asked the pink-haired girl. Nonon nodded, turned, drew in a deep breath, and…

cloud_anbutraining.gif
“COMPANY! STAND AT ATTENTION, YA LOUSY CUNTS!” she shouted with explosive force unexpected for her stature. With surprising speed and precision despite their otherwise slovenly appearance, a group of twenty AiT now formed a double line behind Masao and Nonon, stiffly saluting. “All men accounted for, Leftenant!” she piped cutely. Masao nodded to her, and stiffly saluted to Haruka.

“Command of the 104th Trainee Squad, Selous Scouts, is hereby transferred to you, Lady Shima Haruka,” said Masao. “I’d also like to add, aye, that we got off on the wrong foot, milady, but the Sarge and I ‘ave been leading these men for the last five years and you’ll find no better knowledge of the Island than we have. These men and women ‘ere are a capable force, we’ll show ye.”

“"I'd like to hear all you know about the ZaPRA. Any suspected members, captured members, past, suspected, or current associates. Recent terrorist activity or anything suspicious would help too,” said Haruka, going directly into business. A look of relief passed over Masao’s face, likely because he hadn’t been told to immediately report to the brig.

“Oh yeah, didn’t you capture one of them recently, Milady Shima?” asked Nonon, picking her teeth. “We heard the news this morning.”

“Milady, ye will probably be displeased ta ‘ear this, but that Governor Soosookooky er whatever, he kind of keeps that knowledge all to himself. We ‘ere get told occasionally to kill this or that bloke, or blow up this or that hut, but that’s about it. I mean, it gets boring after a while, right? Hence, you know, the party or at least we ‘ad one till you showed up…” said Masao, shrugging. “Best thing you can do is to ask him direct. Per’aps he’ll be more willing ta share with you, right?”

“Milady Shima,” interjected another man’s voice nearby. The butler from earlier stood behind them, bowing deeply. “The Governor has requested your presence at the Imperial Army barracks nearby, along with that of Leftenant Tokishima’s.”

“I’m coming with!” pouted Nonon. The butler did not disagree.

“AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!” rang out from within the gated courtyard as Haruka, Masao, and Nonon entered. The sound was unexpected, so much so that it genuinely caused even the seemingly callous and desensitized pair of ANBU to flinch. They entered quickly, brushing past a pair of Imperial Boltermen who stood sentry at the door.

Sitting on a small wooden pedestal and tied to a post, was the same Shu’ar boy from the marketplace earlier. Clad as he was in a standard gray prisoner’s smock, his feet were bare and protruded forward with their heels facing another Imperial soldier who wielded a red-hot iron prod. One of the heels was already charred black and weeping blood and lymphatic fluid. The soldier thrust the prod forward, jabbing it into the other heel.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!” shrieked the boy in possibly the shrillest tone a human could produce. Watching over this scene was none other than Governor Tsutsukakushi.

Ringo_zps30bfbb5b.jpg

1I3I9.png
“Such a beautiful voice,” purred the man, his face as benevolent as it had been during his earlier encounter with Haruka. The Governor glanced momentarily at Haruka and her companions, but did not acknowledge her. Masao, if he sensed any desire from Haruka to act, shook his head softly, as if cautioning her to stop and observe instead.

“Please, My Lord! He’s innocent!” shouted an older Shu-ar in chains, on his knees nearby. The barrel of a bolter pressed into his back, keeping him pitched forward with no choice but to watch the boy’s torture.

“Oh, and how so? He was clearly at the marketplace when the bomb went off, and he attempted to not only flee, but also tried to attack a member of the Lightning Country military. A high-ranking member, too,” said The Governor, nodding at Haruka finally. A crazed look came over the Shu-ar man’s face.

“I’ll confess! It was me! I planted the bomb! My son was only there by chance! Punish me, but please let him go!” shouted the older man, the boy’s father, desperately. A thin, barely-discernable smile crept across the Governor’s features.

“Hmm, I do not know if I can trust a confession like that…but perhaps we will let the Grace of Raiden decide, hmm?” asked Tsutsukakushi. “By my authority as Governor of Roenesia, I sentence you to death by hanging, to be carried out immediately. However, if your boy can support your weight on his shoulders through the night, the rope will be cut at sunrise,” he continued, his voice as eerily compassionate as could be.

Two boltermen roughly dragged the older Shu-ar to his feet, slipped a noose around his neck, and threw the other end of it over the top of a nearby scaffold. Grabbing the loose end, they started to pull on it, lifting the father by his neck. Immediately, the man started to choke and gag. The Governor looked at the Shu’ar boy, who had been released from his ropes in the meantime.

“Well, boy, why don’t you help your father?” he asked. With eyes wide open, the boy scrabbled to where his father was, eyes tearing from the pain of traversing the rough grounds with his burnt feet. With a gasp of anguish, the boy stood up, placing his father’s feet on his shoulders. The older man’s gasps stopped, and he breathed deeply.

“Son….no. Leave me. Carry on…” whispered the man.

“No, father! We’ll get through this together!” protested the boy, agony leaking from his throat.

The Governor shrugged, and finally gave Haruka a friendly bow.

“Milady Shima! I am so glad to see you returned with your subordinates!” he announced gaily. “Leftenant Tokishima, we missed you for lunch, you know. Would you like to take any food back to your men? And Sergeant Orochi, you are lovely as always. Have you grown a centimeter or two since we last met?” he said, with the air of a professional charmer. Despite herself, Nonon could not help but blush a bit.

Before any of them could respond, however, the metal door to the inner courtyard opened with a rousing clang, and in stepped possibly the most angry bishounen Haruka had ever laid eyes on.
hammy2-1.png

ezomy.png
“Milord! What is the meaning of this?!” he bellowed at The Governor, pointing to the hanging Shu’ar and his struggling son. “Guards! Cut the old man down! I cannot render aid to them as they are now!” shouted the handsome younger man at the boltermen, who scrunched their brows in confusion. The Governor sighed, rolling his eyes.

“Leftenant…if you would,” he said to Masao directly. The ANBU shrugged, placing his hand on the blonde’s shoulder.

“Alright, mate, let’s calm down n’ get a beer, aye? Your da’ ain’t in the mood…” said the ANBU, only to have his hand smacked off of the raging one’s shoulder.

“This is a violation of a citizen’s civil and human rights! As a Kumogakure shinobi you should know-“ started the man, only to be cut short as Masao landed an uppercut to his solar plexus.

“Nats’, don’t be a cunt,” sighed Masao with resignation. With practiced ease, he swung the young man, Natsu’s, free arm over his shoulder and half-carried/half-dragged him to the gate. Tsutsukakushi bowed deeply to Haruka.

“I am truly sorry you had to witness that disgraceful behavior from my son, Natsu. He is an upstanding member of the nobility, but…well, he sometimes sympathizes overly much with those who would seek to end his very life. I worry as his father that one day his compassionate nature will be the end of him.”

“Oy, Milord, looks like your sentence was carried out just now,” said Nonon, pointing to the scaffold. The older Shu’ar’s body swayed gently in the breeze. The boy sat propped up against the wall, watching his father swing by the neck. Instead of the expected tears, there was only the blank expression of despair.

“Ah, thank you my dear,” said The Governor. “And…Milady Shima, I do not know what to make of your expression,” he said, blithely. “Do you find my methods too cruel? The mandated punishment for treason is death by drawing and quartering, mind you.”

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"Oh</B><B>, now I like her." Haruka smirked at the larger than life voice of Nonon as she commanded her men to stand at attention. They certainly were on point. It was if they had made a complete transformation. She couldn't help but keep grinning as they became a cohesive unit once more all for the sake of her command. She never had so much control before in her life. It certainly was thrilling. "That's more like it." The Shima woman chimmed after the sergeant finished her count off of the scouts. Masao had confidence in his unit. That in turn awarded him with only confidence and respect from Haruka. A man who was willing to admit his faults, believe in the capabilities of those he was charged with leading, and willingly handed over command to a fresh woman from the mainland without complaint. Appearances weren't everything for sure.

It seemed news traveled quit fast on the isle. The perfectly kawaii sargeant clearly had knowledge of her morning run in. The young woman could only nod for confirmation. She still felt uneasy about what had transpired. It didn't sit well, but she couldn't tell why. The whole thing was strange. The Marquess was guarded and she couldn't penetrate his defense quit yet. He had years of socialization under his belt that she clearly lacked. A man like that only reminded her of Harukaze, her father. It seemed that even the Selous Scouts took notice of the Govenor's questionable ways, but what could they do? They were simply hired to take orders. She was about to answer Masao when yet another interruption barged in.
***​

A blood drenched scream that could only tear her soul apart startled her as she walked between the two pillars of the scouts. Haruka hoped they could trusted, because she was already beginning to rely on their strength and knowledge of Roenesia. They would be two steady hands of support if they would prove themselves. She knew it was foolish to place trust so quickly in others, but this young ninja still had much to learn. Coming from a hospital, she had a different mentality than most shinobi. Her old stomping grounds was one of healing. A team of nurses was always there to support her. Doctors kindly offered their advice on a topic she was unsure of. But, here? Here was different and she realized it the moment she had stepped off the boat. That screamed did nothing but intensify her fear of the unknown.

The sight was what almost broke her though. At the center of all this monstrosity was the honorable Tsutsukakushi. She merely flinched her muscles before Masao cued her that it was unwise to interfere. She had caused this. A sickness on her face reflected the storm inside her. There was moment when she exchanged a glance with her sergeant and leftenant that Haruka knew better than to show her disdain.

“Oh, and how so? He was clearly at the marketplace when the bomb went off, and he attempted to not only flee, but also tried to attack a member of the Lightning Country military. A high-ranking member, too,” said The Governor.

How could that reasoning even stand!? What had she done? She felt like she was sinking. No one was to blame but herself. She had been so anxious to be the hero. This boy was condemned because what she had done. Her panic only soared to greater heights as his father caved into the Govenor's torture. Haruka gritted her teeth. A warrior. A tool. Nothing more. She had to remind herself of this. The scene between son and father made her weak. This was true cruelty. It was expected of her to just be washed away in the blood and evil? Her Sennin must of known the perils she would have faced. Why did he not warn her? What would he have done? She only wished he was standing beside her.

Her bow was stiff as the Governor finally acknowledge her presence. The disruptive clang drew Haruka back to her senses. Drifting inwards, as if brought by the winds of Raiden was a man. Her blood ran cold with shock. Natsu? Ever feature was a faint trace of him. Those cold, beautiful eyes that never quite looked her way. The subtly curl of his light locks against slim cheeks. He had come for her. Despite what she wanted to be true, Haruka knew this not to be true the more she studied his face. This was a cruel joke to play. All that she had felt washed down the drain to be only replaced with a hollow consummation of guilt.

Her lips burned with betrayal. She had been weak when that golden treacherous snake slithered into her heart. Still, the girl could not truly believe that Hoshikata has deceived her. And that was why it only hurt worse. How did she ever deserve to speak his name again. This was all for Natsu. She would grow stronger and stronger until she was proud to face him again. But, not now. She was just a silly frivolous daughter of the Shima clan. One day, Haruka would be the pillar Natsu needed. She would fight, sacrifice, bleed, and die for him. He was worthy of Raikage. He was worthy of Cloud. He was worthy of the world, if Haruka fought hard enough for him.

The doppelganger obviously had more sense than his tyrant father, but as a hired shinobi Haruka was unable to aid him. She only watched as Masao drew his fist back and crudely collide against the frailer man. Her fist curled tighter and tighter until she thought she might cut her skin. "If I have anything to do with it, my lord...I will erase the fears you have for your son's future and crush this insurgence." She certainly played her part convincingly. So much that it jabbed her heart with sharp pains with every word spoken.

“Oy, Milord, looks like your sentence was carried out just now,” said Nonon, pointing to the scaffold.

Haruka dragged her gaze to the body with much resistance, but she knew she had to look. She had to. This wasn't to be repeated. Haruka hoped the image would be seared onto her brain as a scar. No more pointless mistakes. Never again did she dare to see such an innocent boy be devoid of life in a flickering instant because of her stupidity. The creak of the rope against the pole as the body rocked to and fro would never leave her mind. Long after all of this, she hoped the sound would haunt her.

“And…Milady Shima, I do not know what to make of your expression,” he said, blithely. “Do you find my methods too cruel? The mandated punishment for treason is death by drawing and quartering, mind you.”

Her almond eyes drew back to the Governor. "Forgive me, sir. I just thought it a pity that a man would waste his life of the stupidity of his son's sins." She responded coldly. All emotion had been immediately shut off to guard herself once more. "A shame you couldn't die like a man. Letting someone die in your own stead." She spat at the boy without gracing him with a single glance. "Forgive my frankness, but is there a reason we were called here other than to enjoy your excellent execution of judgement? I don't like to tarry in my duties, you see." A small smile crossed her pale lips. "If not I will excuse myself." If that was all the man had wanted then Haruka would be off.

"Orochi," She sternly called the petite sergeant, heading towards the door with a cool glide. "Fetch Tokishima and meet me back at the barracks."
<i>
</i>

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The Governor smiled blithely at Haruka as he had done upon first meeting her that morning.
Ringo_zps30bfbb5b.jpg

1I3I9.png
“To be perceptive is an essential part of your nature, My Lady,” he quipped in response to her query on the reasoning behind her summons. “That you witnessed my role as Island Magistrate was entirely coincidental and unintentional, as you are likely no stranger to the laws of our country. No, the reason I summoned Leftenant Tokishima and yourself was because a rare opportunity just came up to move forward with our mutual mission to eliminate the Shu’ar rebellion. With a command-level shinobi from Kumogakure now present, we must strike while the iron is hot, so to speak.

“I have just learned through my own native informants, that the leaders of the main rebel group, ZaPRA, plan to hold a public rally in a week in the nearby town of New Kanto. They plan to engage the restive and ignorant populace in a treasonous protest march approaching the gates of Fuyuki City, with the assumption that Colonel Inumuta’s sepoy regiments will not fire on so many of their unarmed countrymen. Do not misunderstand me, My Lady – I do not desire a massacre as that would needlessly deprive our island of able workers and taxpayers. No, what I wish for is for you and your shinobi to use this as an opportunity to capture at least the political leadership of ZaPRA, who will doubtless be coordinating and supervising the rally,” he said, his lips drawn into a thin upward curve.

cloud_anbutraining.gif
“Ah, and after a fair trial they’ll be executed, Milord?” asked Nonon. It was impossible to tell whether she was being sardonic or sincere. The Governor chuckled.

“Of course not, dear Orochi-chan,” he said, patting her on the head. “No, I will simply convince them of the error of their ways, and have them repay their debts to society by turning their followers to a force for cooperation and mutual prosperity.”
RicoSuave.jpg

cloud_anbu.gif
”So we’ll be fookin’ brainwashin’ the lot,” muttered Masao softly.

“What was that, Leftenant?” asked the Governor. Masao straightened his posture, assuming the perfect, stiff-lipped poker face that one would give in response to a screaming ANBU gunnery sergeant looming over a new recruit in the bowels of the Sileo.

“My apologies, Milord, I was simply repeating your mandates for myself to engrave in my memory,” said the Leftenant in a rather natural, high-class accent that even took Haruka aback.

“Very good, Tokishima-kun,” shrugged Tsutsukakushi. “My Lady Shima, I will leave the rest of the details in your hands. I am sure you will impress us all. Oh, and since you are staying in my residence for the duration of your sojourn here, dinner will be in two hours. I look forward to your company!” he said, bowing deeply to her before turning to leave.

Haruka could not help but repress a tightening sensation in the pit of her stomach. To anyone else, even Masao and Nonon, the whole exchange had gone smoothly enough. However, Haruka was a creature who had been immersed in social and political intrigue before she had even exited her mother’s womb. Every word, every inflection of speech, ever subtle movement of the hands and shuffle of the feet had deep meaning and serious implications. She had lived and breathed in perpetual awareness of the hidden messages within the messages with every waking moment in the Shima Estate and such an awareness would stay with her even were she to forget everything else including her own name.

It was glaringly obvious what Governor Tsutsukakushi was saying behind the smiles and courtesy that blinded everyone else: “I own you and your men, and if you don’t deliver what I wish for, you are all going to die.”

“Orochi,” she called the sergeant. Nonon saluted.

“Fetch Tokishima and meet me back at the barracks.”

Masao balked visibly at what Haruka was telling him as they sat around a beer-stained wooden table back at the barracks. The rest of the unit had been tasked with cleaning the place from floor to weathervane as the first of the Jounin’s orders.

“Oy, right, it’s obvious as daylight the bloke’s full of ‘imself, but fer fook’s sake, we’re fookin’ shinobi! We could tear through ‘im like shite-paper!”

“Masao-kun… Just listen to Shima-sensei, alright?!” chided Nonon, who on the other hand looked visibly worried. “We can’t lay hands on a territorial governor. The Raikage would hang us the moment we arrived back in Kumo. I don’t believe the whole ‘Hayata Shin forgives everyone over Lobster Dinner’ thing. I’ve heard the rumors. He ate his uncle* alive!”

“Well, I’ll say one thing. I never liked that cunt Tsutsukooky,” retorted Masao. “E’s always looked down ‘is nose at us, doesn’t tell us shite about what we ought to do here to end the fookin’ rebellion. Keeps us on a leash as some sort’a status symbol, is what it is. There’s nothin’ left for us to do but fook whores and swill brew then. In reality, Milady,” he said, looking at Haruka, “Nonon and I want nothin’ mor’n ta get our mates off this fookin’ island and back in’a Sileo. Let the fookin’ natives ‘ave the place, I don’t care.”

“This is our opportunity to prove to Sileo Command that we merit a reassignment, then,” said Nonon. “I mean, maybe we’ll finally get our commissions and you’ll have The Predator** assign us both to RDF like you wanted all this time- I mean, assign you to RDF. I’ll just go wherever, not like I want to be your underling forever or anything,” she said, somewhat stumbling uncharacteristically over the last segment.

“Alright, Imouto-chan,” replied Masao, meriting an annoyed expression from his sergeant, “We’ll whip the unit in’a shape n’ trust Lady Shima ta give us a plan. We already transferred command to ya, Milady, but not without trust, aye.”

Within a few days, the formerly sorry-looking barracks in Oldtown were now literally shining with cleanliness and order. The trash littering the yard had been carted away, the fruit tree rehabilitated, and the latrines unclogged. The bolter practice butts were now regularly used in target practice, and the unit was now looking a lot more formidable, even when simply doing calesthenics.

“Milady, you have a visitor who wishes to see you. It’s Sir Tsutsukakushi,” said one of the AiTs, saluting to Haruka, who was at a desk outside under a shade cover, poring over books on the Shu’ar. Haruka tensed involuntarily – what did the Governor wish, and how would she survive this encounter? However, her trepidation turned quickly to curiosity as the visitor turned out not to be the older Governor, but rather, the blond-haired younger man who had been dragged away not so long ago. Dressed in an airy linen blouse with slacks and island sandals, he cut a clean, masculine, but also slim figure that even drew glances from the female AiTs in the courtyard. He stepped up to Haruka and bowed.
hammy2-1.png

ezomy.png
“Jounin Shima, my name is Tsutsukakushi Natsu. I am the Governor’s son, and a physician by trade. I know that you have been sent here to quell the rebellion. But I am here to ask you – do you know who the true enemy is?”
*Refers to the Raikage’s uncle Hayata Makoro, who was defeated in single combat by Hayata Shin at the top of the Torre Celeste in the first year of his reign.

**”The Predator” is a semi-secret nickname given to Taichou Morishima Haruka, Commander of the ANBU Rapid Deployment Force and only second in authority to Vice Commander Touma of the Corps. It was bestowed not because of any predilection on her part for stealth or hunting, but because of her tendency to attempt to deflower every new recruit in the ANBU, across both genders.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The enraged Leftenant and Sargent were in agreement with their new commander. The Governor was a monster. However, they knew not how to stop his tyranny in their current situation. Nonon was right, he held them by their necks as long as they operated on his island. They were not at their own whim, but the Raikage's. Haruka steamed silently at the table as the two went back and forth. They only confirmed their trustworthiness in days to come. She had but two options. Listen to the cruel bastard and leave this island as soon as possible, or wait...Eventually, he was bound to do something that would merit removal of power. He was appointed by the Shogun, but their leader could not be a truly incompetent man. As long as she had something against him, a solid piece of evidence, Haruka could settle this chaotic fire of oppression. Risk Masao and Nonon's careers, she could not do. Nor did she have movement to risk her own. She'd have to go about this carefully. The darkly haired woman nodded cooly to her Leftenant as he reassured her of his complete obidence. "I'll do my best not to betray that trust, Tokishima-Buchou."

***​

The rustle of pages was an oddly relaxing thing to Haruka. Moments like this, where she was swept away with learning about the Shu'ar in her textbook, reminded her of her teen years spent as a Medic. At one point, she lost herself in the reading. Haruka forgot she was here. She forgot the stinging heat of the sun. The barracks washed away around her as the snug walls of her home returned. But, she could not forget what she had saw. The body, swaying at the end of a noose. That awful creak against the post. Dead eyes that bore guilt into her soul. She could never forget that.

So, when an AiT approached her, Haruka had been a bit startled. His voice jolted her back to everything around her. It was beautiful. Everything looked so orderly and clean, all because of her direction. She was proud of the work she had accomplished so far. The boys that once romped around with unscrupulous women and drunk their livers into sorry states were now men who acted on her full command with respect for the little Lady that had frozen their asses into submission. That pride washed away as a dread filled the pit of her stomach. Her contact with Tsutsukakushi was minimal, a decision she tried to enforce regularly. He sometimes had ways to bypass her guard though. The Shima steeled herself for yet another round of social blows.

Steadily the woman rose. He was certainly pretty, enough to make her feel a bit girlish. She did not forget her manners though and bowed to the young noble. He was a much welcomed sight. Natsu was certainly to the point. If only her Natsu could be like that sometimes. She lifted her head up, eyes finally meeting his. "You certainly are hasty. Judging by previous events, its safe to say you do not agree with your father and believe the Shu'ar are not at fault. How do you know you can trust me? After all, the Shu'ar spread propaganda and lies against the government of Lightning country and I am a shinobi sent to do Lightning country's will. Do you have something to refute that, Natsu-Sama?" She wanted to jump on his bandwagon faster than he had invited her, but she couldn't allow herself to seem disloyal to his father. She had to keep her enemies closer. Tsutsukakushi threatened not just her, but the careers of those she was beginning to care for.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
hammy2-1.png

ezomy.png
Natsu smiled and shook his head. "Please, milady, I think you've got the wrong impression of who I am and what I wish for. You may think that because I'm a physician and that I care about the rights given to the Shu'ar by the Shogun and his council, that I'm some sort of oblivious bleeding-heart who smoked way too much of the native hallucinogen and wants peasants to have majority rule. Nay on both counts: I'm a patriot and I know that people have their proper places in society. Just as you do, milady, for it's obvious that you come from a noble house.

"I'm not telling you that the Shu'ar are all innocent-hearted natives being crushed by greedy colonialists who have no business being here. If Lightning Country hadn't claimed the island, I'm pretty sure that Water Country would have eventually staked a claim, and their policy on indigenous peoples is complete extermination. On the other hand, we've brought the Shu'ar schools, industry, and hospitals so they don't have to live short, brutal lives in perpetual fear of monsoons wiping out their homes or simple lacerations ending their lives.

"There are those within the Shu'ar community who are just as manipulative and cynical as my father is, and who exploit their fellows to perform violence. They are criminals and thugs, plain and simple. They should be punished and stopped from disrupting the peace. I have no objection to you carrying that mission out, milady. But what my father wants is not to elevate the Shu'ar with the gift of education and technology, but to use those things to keep them forever subservient to his will and those like him. It is morally wrong to give people the tools to elevate themselves and yet prevent them from doing so. If we're going to strengthen our nation we need to give all individuals the proper opportunity to rise if they so choose to."

He realized that he had been looking intently into her eyes as he argued his case. Natsu looked away hurriedly, feeling somewhat abashed. During his upbringing, he had never felt much attraction for the girls and women of his class. They were self-absorbed and vicious to each other, not to mention overly concerned with who could flash symbols of wealth and status more ostentatiously. Haruka, on the other hand, was almost drab in terms of her outward appearance, but possessed an enticing intensity under a cool veneer, like flames behind frosted glass. Natsu found himself possessed by the urge to open those etched panes and thrust his hand into that fire. No, I can't let myself get distracted here, he thought to himself.

"I'll make you an offer, milady. You've seen Fuyuki City, I trust. But you haven't seen how the other half lives. If you're going to involve yourself in their lives and their futures, at least get to know their faces. I regularly make a drive 'round the countryside villages to provide vaccinations and health checkups for the children. I'd like for you to accompany me. Will you?" He extended a hand.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
At once, she understood the kind of man the governor’s son was. He wasn’t a white knight come to abolish the society is his family had created all for the ostentatious idea of freedom. He understood balance and lived in the gray areas, knowing that true goodness was impossible.

Completely freeing the Shu’ar was no longer an option. They owed most of their advancement to Lightning Country. The whole group wasn’t all innocent like the boy and his father anyways. Generalizing a group of people like that was never right. She knew there was always two sides to the same coin. A whole nation couldn’t be inherently good, just as her country was filled with sick and twisted men too. She hadn’t seen that true evil just yet in her short life and lived in her naive lies that her village held no such injustice. Cloud was where heroes were made, after all, but perhaps the years to come would fill her with bitterness and mistrust. Alas, that is another tale to be told.

Her eyes, both like fire and ice, danced with Natsu’s gaze until both found it inappropriate and drew their gazes away. Her heart even dared to skip. Now is not the time to get distracted, she argued with herself. The more she focused, the faster she could get off this rotting island. The closer she was to her Natsu then. But perhaps she had been focusing too hard. Perhaps her focus had distorted the whole picture.

...Fine. I shall follow your lead. Do not waste my time, sir.” She spat coldly, taking his hand after staring at him again for what seemed like forever. Although her words were harsh, she couldn’t hide her reddening cheeks. Haruka had to keep reminding herself that this was not her Natsu. She wasn’t too convincing though.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
“I would not dream of it,” Natsu said. His fingertips tingled as Haruka took his hand. Contrary to the icy sensation he expected, she was soft, and delightfully so. She was also warm.

A deluge of memory forced its way through his consciousness. A woman had once taken him to the farmers markets of Raiden’s Eye, long before they had all boarded the boat to the colonies. Had she been his mother? An aunt? A nursemaid? He was unsure. He didn't remember her face, for his head had come no higher than her waist. She had taken his hand in hers to prevent him from straying in the busy streets. Whenever she had done so, he had relished the feeling. It had been like envelopment in the warmest, softest cotton. He had felt safe with her. Secure. Loved. That was before they had arrived here, in the unforgiving land of the Shu’ar. Before she had perished less than a month after arrival. Before he had tried to grasp her hand one last time and felt only ice.

He snatched his arm back suddenly, perspiring like a tourist. Shit! I haven’t thought of that in a while. Gods, I hope I didn’t offend Lady Shima. To cover his awkwardness, he faked going for his handkerchief. The deception wasn’t entirely contrived, however, since he was dripping bullets at this point. “Erm, I have my vehicle parked outside the manor,” he said.
***​
Later, the pair whipped through a winding mountain road at a speed that would have made the Lightning Temperance Society blush. Despite maintaining the constant appearance of imminent death, Natsu turned out to be a dab hand at manipulating the controls on his horseless carriage, and negotiated hairpin turns and blind corners with aplomb. Haruka, on the other hand, could only barely hold back her terror, willing her tears to dry away underneath the driving goggles Natsu had lent her for the trip. Eventually, after what seemed an interminable time, he pulled the horseless to a stop outside the palm-shrouded gates of a small mountain hamlet.

”Anakala!” shouted a gaggle of children who massed around Natsu and the carriage.

”Nau wale’no,” Natsu replied with a chuckle. He dug into a small sack he’d secreted away under the dash and started to hand out what Haruka realized were small packets of sugared gum arabic and suet, a favorite among sailors down at the port. The children eyed Haruka curiously, more than a few of them giggling uncontrollably.

”Is she your wife?” one of the girls asked, clasping her hands together.

”Heavens, no!” Natsu said, turning slightly red.

”She’s his lover!” declared an older girl. “That means they’re making pu’insai but he’s too scaredy-cat to bring her to meet his parents!

”Hey! No one’s sleeping with-” he snapped, but only turned redder when he realized he’d reverted to the common tongue. The tongue that Haruka could understand. “Er, sorry,” he said to her. “You know, kids and their imaginations. We should go meet the elder and get to the clinic.”

He exited the horseless, offering a hand to Haruka to assist her egress. This only made the children giggle and gasp harder, but they two adults eventually pushed their way past the rambunctious crowd. The elder offered them tea, and Natsu spent a short while in fast-paced discussion with the old man before excusing himself to the clinic.

The structure was modest, really a shanty by richer standards, but it was clean and well-maintained.

“Lady Shima,” Natsu said as he rolled up his sleeves. “I understand you were also a medical shinobi for a while. Would you care to assist me for a bit? It’s mostly vaccine administration, although there are some wound checks and others who require an antibiotic infusion.” He strode over to the door and opened it, finding that a line had already formed outside.

Over the next two hours, the pair injected the arms of the willing and unwilling. The unruly children came with their parents, who held them down with what seemed like crushing force, while the more composed needed no cajoling at all. A small handful of adults also made their way into the mix, receiving pills and IV lines with gratitude. When the last patient departed, leaving a sack of tree nuts as a parting gift, Natsu and Haruka left and locked the wicker door. Already, the sun was beginning to start its dip toward the horizon.

“Thank you for your help, Milady,” Natsu said, flashing his teeth with a genuine smile. “I’d forgotten just how smoothly things run with backup, especially someone on your level of training. Normally, it’d be getting dangerously close to nighttime by now were I alone. The drive can get a bit hairy.” He chuckled. A moment later, his expression fell serious. “It also gets a bit lonely, since I’m the only one doing this. ZaPRA is known to attack our aid workers on a regular basis. They abducted a group of Tenouzan nuns not too far from here. The sisters were trying to spread literacy, and, well, I shan’t tell you what became of them because I have no wish to relive those memories. It’s a fear campaign against their countrymen. ‘Eschew the devil foreigner or we kill you’ is the message. Another reason they have to go. Another reason I’m glad you came here. Ah, but here I go, spouting off again. I’m sure you’re tired of that. Well, I shall drive more safely this time. Perhaps.”
***​
Halfway back to Fuyuki, Natsu’s horseless carriage sputtered and died on the side of the road.

“Damn. Fuel manifold’s eaten through. The only thing I didn’t check on the last inspection.” He shut the hood with a clanging sound and laughed. “I’m sorry to impose on you again, Milady, but I might have you use your shinobi headset to summon help.”

”Sorry, Commander,” Masao’s voice crackled over Haruka’s radio. ”It’ll be at least a few hours. There’s a storm coming in fifteen minutes and the roads will be a real cunt to traverse, even for us. Find a hooch off the main road. You won’t have to worry about ZaPRA, though. Even those cunts know better than to try a slog through the jungle. Bad shite comes out when it rains. Why, once I caught this fokkin’ skeeter the size of a game hen, and it was trying to suck me right in the d-“ The transmission cut off abruptly. As Haruka looked overhead, raindrops started to fall around them.

Natsu sighed. “I guess our only option is to wait it out. I’m sorry, Milady. We can take shelter there, if you wish,” he said. He pointed to a nearby Boab tree. It was massive, and the base of its trunk had been splint asunder centuries ago, making for a small grotto covered with a fringe of hanging vines. “Of course, if you wish for me to find separate quarters I’ll be happy to!” he said, blushing.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
This island was both terrifying and wonderful. As she clung on for dear life, jostling down a beaten path created for driving, Haruka caught the sites of Roenesia through dirtied google lenses. The wild fauna rampantly claimed any part of island for it own as long as urban development did not fight back. She’d only seen such green beauty like this back in Mist. She felt herself longing for the weight of the cold ocean and summer heat of Kirigakure once again. It was far less dangerous than this island. Who knew? Back then, she had feared for her life in the midst of strange shinobi. Now, she felt the gentle sting of Hoshikata’s kiss upon her lips. Nothing ever seemed to turn out the way she expected it. And yet, she felt at peace with that…

---

Shit…” She cursed under her breath as she clicked off the headset. Haruka was NOT at peace with this. The ice queen found herself looking to the sky just as the thundering clouds overhead released their rains. Even in the coolness of the storm, the heat still clung to her like a suffocating snake. You know, I tried to be zen with you, but I didn’t mean you could throw this at me. She thought huffily.

Natsu never missed a beat, shrugging off their predicament to begin working on shelter. She wondered if he was this still on the inside. Did his exterior calm extend into that unending pool of interior peace? Or was he just like her? A fake who tried so desperately to keep her mask on. He grew up in a world like her’s, and she didn’t doubt his exerted much more pressure. If she just reached down into that well, would the ripples slosh into a raging storm? She was afraid of others finding the storm in her heart. What about Natsu?

Haruka found herself thinking about him more frequently. She cared more about his opinion than she did when first taking his hand to go on an adventure. His image was beginning to overshadow the face of a boy she once knew back in Kumogakure. Maybe it was meant to be this way. The island was its own world. She was not the Haruka that existed in the mainland. She found herself reasoning that Roenesia was another book, not another chapter. The calm, quiet girl that followed orders was nothing like the commanding storm she had become here.

Did this version of herself feel something more for the son of a man she mistrusted? Did it mirror the way that the other version of herself felt for the Spymaster?

There’s no time for that. We’ll do fine here together. Better to hide from the storm as soon as possible.” She replied, snapping forth from her thoughts. The vines brushed her hair, glistening the dark raven strands with fine water droplets as she dipped inside the makeshift fort. It was incredibly cramped for the two, but they both suffered in silence. Perhaps suffering wasn’t the correct word, but Haruka fought back anything other thoughts.

You were incredible today.” She finally whispered, dragging her knees to her chest to give him more room. “After all I’ve seen on the island, today was a breath of fresh air. Thank you for bringing me with you. Sometimes I forget I’m human. It feels as if I’m always playing the part of a warrior. The simplest joys seem to escape me. This isn’t a vacation- its a mission, but being so focused perhaps has blinded me to the way it works here. I’ve learned much from you today.” Her dark eyes smiled kindly at him. The first time she had smiled with pure joy since coming here. All those fake smiles and grim stares meant to intimidate were beginning to wear her thin.

Mft.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The droplets outside were the size of game hens and splashed mercilessly against the canopy. Even the sacred Boab grotto was not spared from blessing. Rivulets coursed their way along the scarred, snarled bark of the tree and drenched the man and woman taking succor inside.

The monsoon season was now in full force for the island of Roenesia, and now its people would suffer. Landslides swallowed villages whole. Standing pools of water spawned mosquitos to bring flux and dengue to the masses. The dampness of the very air itself was a choking morass that brought sores and dropsy. Thousands perished every year, and the survivors simply carried on, thankful that the gods had not chosen to feast on their souls. No one blamed the ephemeral ones, however. They all knew that the rains were a necessary trial from heaven. Because of the sacred cleansing the forests teemed with game, the orchids bloomed anew, and the cries of newborns carried through the air. Life was dearly earned on the emerald island, but perhaps this fact increased its worth.

Natsu shivered as his overcoat became a soggy, itchy mess. He had wanted to drape Haruka’s shoulders with it, but now reasoned that it would be more of an inconvenience than anything else at this point. There was nothing to be done but to shed it and toss it aside. Haruka had already done so with her peacoat and shawl, much to his dismay.

He reddened when he realized that his eyes were inextricably drawn to the translucency of her blouse over bare skin. It clung to her with maddening insistence, wrapping the concavity of the small of her back and slipping under the swell of her bust to layer over every surface. Wearing a corset or brassiere was unheard of on the island, even among women of her class, because they chafed and caused sores in the damp heat of the day. Haruka was no exception, and Natsu’s gaze roved around to where the fabric dipped and then rose to reveal a subtle shade of pink.

His fingertips prickled. They wished to occupy the territory the cloth had claimed so vehemently.

No, I must control myself. Haruka was a guest, and a warrior at that. It would be the height of impertinence to see her as… As a woman that I desired?

The silence was unbearable.

“Ah! You know, this sort of tree can live for hundreds of years,” he muttered breathlessly. “This one may look ancient but it’s not even the oldest one on the island. And it’s survived so much. The space we’re in right now was created because a lightning bolt tore this tree in half at one point. But it’s still alive. It’s got the will to persevere, to overcome the scars of the past. It became majestic despite the setback, and gives us shelter now… I…I’m sorry, I’m babbling.”

“You were incredible today,” she said.

Her words drifted across his senses like intoxicating, roiling smoke. She was…praising him. He smiled back. Her joy was too much to resist. His throat formed a lump. Unconsciously, his hand moved. His fingers flexed, and intertwined with hers. She did not pull away. Neither, this time, did he.

“And I’ve learned from you, Milady…Haruka,” he whispered. She is like this tree, after all. She endures and grows tough and gnarled outside, yet radiates such warmth.

She edged closer, and her shoulder touched his.

Natsu did not move. His mouth was dry. He could not form words.

Haruka carefully swung a leg over to straddle him. Her eyes met his.

He found himself unable to look away. He desired to, but again, could not.

Slowly, she reached to her neckline and undid the buttons, starting from the top. The gossamer reluctantly peeled away.

The air was syrup. Natsu gulped, trying not to choke.

Haruka’s fingertips pressed against his chin and cupped his face and tilted his head back.

When her lips met his, he finally remembered how to breathe.
Natsu’s eyes fluttered open a few hours later. Haruka stared back at him with a hint of a smile. She laid alongside him on the fibrous plush of the grotto floor. Their clothes were scattered around them. There was nothing he could not see, and likewise for her. His lips parted, but instead, she pressed on them with a fingertip. Her message was clear: enjoy the moment.

Outside, the sounds of pattering rain seemed to have disappeared. Natsu smiled and held silent. The birdsong outside was more eloquent than he in that moment.

”Commander!”

Tokishima Masao’s voice boomed like a static sledgehammer through the earpiece of Haruka’s headset. Instantly, her expression shifted from serenity to tempered steel.

”Commander, do you copy? This is a Code Black! We’re coming to your location!”

The two had barely gotten to their feet before they heard the unmistakable sounds of booted feet crashing through the underbrush. That the ANBU had sacrificed stealth for speed was concerning enough, but perhaps more concerning was Masao’s total lack of a smart quip upon seeing Natsu and Haruka in a state of partial undress.

“Milady! We need you, there’s been a fokkin’ raid on a village a few clicks away! It’s ZaPRA! And Milord Natsu, we’ll escort ye back to Fuyuki. The ‘orseless is done for, I’m afraid.”

Natsu’s eyes widened. “Wait, Tokishima, which village?

“Mui’kahalo. What’s it to you? Milady, you ready?” The ANBU gestured frantically with his pistol.

Natsu stumbled and fell to his knees. “No,” he whispered. He punched the ground. “No!”

“What’s the problem?” Masao’s eyes widened a beat later. “Oh shite… That’s…that’s where you just were, aye?”

“Take me with you, Tokishima!”

“Milord, it’s not safe.”

“That’s an or-“ Natsu bit his tongue. He had no authority to command the men. “Haruka, please! I must go, too!”
***​
Embers smoked pitifully in the mud and sinuous columns of black smoke rose from craters that had once been buildings. The clinic was gone, and in its place…

“What the godrotting fuck have they done,” Masao swore as he advanced on the pile. His rifle shook in his hands. “Stay back, Milady and Milord. This is likely trapped.”

Slowly, he used the tip of his bayonet to probe the mound in front of him. It was only waist-high and wreathed in smoke, but it was no mere collection of rubble. Grimly, Masao withdrew the bayonet. “Sergeant, have the men burn this. Now!

“S-s-sir,” Nonon croaked. She wiped her eyes with a soot-smeared forearm and turned away.

“Tokishima, what’s going on?” Natsu bellowed.

“Keep ‘im back!” Masao shouted, but to no avail.

Natsu wriggled out of the trainee’s grasp and raced to join the other two. When he saw it, he fell to his knees. In front of him was a pile of severed arms. Children’s arms, and only the right arms. The same ones that he’d vaccinated only hours before.

A chill went down Haruka’s spine as she remembered his words from earlier: Eschew the devil foreigner or we kill you.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
No…” She stammered, stumbling towards the carnage before her. The smoke burned her eyes. It choked the air, but she stilled herself. Her eyes never left the sight. Her stillness was frightful, but she did it for the others. Haruka forced herself to take in the image before her so that it may never be repeated. So that her troops here believed she had not been shaken. This was not to be seen as a loss. Even though that’s exactly what she faced. She fucked up too many times. So many innocent children harmed because of her.

When her gaze finally flecked away, it went to Natsu upon his knees. It was her fault. All of this. If she hadn’t taken a moment to treat this as anything more than a mission- if she hadn’t spent her time making frivolous love with a man she barely knew, this wouldn’t have happened. “Orochi!” She called sharply, sweeping away from the bodies.

Escort the young lord back to the estate. It’s not safe for him to be here anymore.” Her eyes never met his. Doing so was more painful than looking upon her failure, but she couldn’t involve him anymore. She’d have to forget about Natsu, no matter how wonderful their night had been. “Tokishima, sweep the village. Find any traces left behind by ZaPRA. Its time to bring those bastards to their knees.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back