Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Cooking 101: We have KFC at home... [Class]

Jinzo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Continued from here.

Jinzo, stood before his class, a group of eager students eager to learn the art of crafting crispy, golden fried chicken. His heart brimmed with excitement as he prepared to impart his culinary knowledge and transform these students into true fried chicken aficionados. "Welcome to the wonderful world of fried chicken!" Cocking his head to the side, Jinzo greeted his students with a warm smile though the smile quickly grew into concern when his chefs hat started to slide. Quickly regaining his composure, he smoothed out his chefs attire and motioned towards the cooking stations. "Today, we'll embark on a culinary journey to create the ultimate fried chicken experience. With a symphony of flavors and textures that will tantalize taste buds, we will do our best to replicate the famous Konoha Fried Chicken recipe!" Jinzo's enthusiasm was palpable, his eyes sparkling with culinary fervor. He began by outlining the essential ingredients, emphasizing the importance of fresh, high-quality chicken. He explained the role of buttermilk in tenderizing the meat, infusing it with flavor, and creating a moist base for the crispy coating. "Each of you will be graded on not only how good your chicken taste, but how well it's presented." Nodding he continued. "As shinobi, we recognize just how interconnected our world is on the most minute of levels, even down to the food that we eat. So be creative, use your noggin and don't be afraid to ask for help." Noticing a few confused looks, Jinzo held up a hand to allay the students fears before quickly twisting his hand and snapping his fingers. On cue, his snap produced a small controlled explosion of chakra before settling into an equally controlled flame. "Just remember, we've got all the tools we need, right at our fingertips..." Holding his gaze on the parlor trick of a ninjutsu technique, he smiled once more and then quickly extinguished it. "And with that being said, begin!"

OOC: Please let me know if you have any questions via PM or Discord message. The general instructions are below.

Instructions said:
Ingredients:

• 1 (3-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
  • Vegetable oil for frying

Instructions:

1. Place the chicken in a large resealable bag or shallow dish. Pour the buttermilk over the chicken, making sure it is all coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (if using).
  3. Heat about 3 inches of oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 325 degrees F (163 degrees C).
  4. Working in batches, remove the chicken from the buttermilk and dredge it in the flour mixture, coating it evenly.
  5. Carefully lower the chicken into the hot oil and fry for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
  6. Remove the chicken from the oil and drain on a wire rack.
  7. Serve immediately with your favorite sides.

Tips:

• For extra crispy chicken, double-dip the chicken in the flour mixture.
  • Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. It should be 165 degrees F (74 degrees C) before serving.
  • Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before serving to allow the juices to redistribute.

Enjoy!

Ryuu Goro

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
C
Miyako had resided in Konoha for quite some time now, studying hard in class, making friends and she'd even been on an adventure of her own already! Giddy with excitement as playfully skips to class. Today's class would be all about cuisine - cooking fried chicken, to be precise. Miyako has never once stepped foot into a kitchen, so this was another of many firsts she would experience in her time at Konoha and what an incredible first it would be. The food in Konoha was absolutely to die for and the privilege to swipe the Kage's secret recipe as it were, was not something she would pass up. Miyako started this journey to improve her family arts after all. That could include the culinary arts as well, yes? She woke up bright and early so she could get a head start on preparations - get familiar with the culinary cutlery as it were.

She slides open the door to see she was indeed the first one to arrive, a smug smirk creasing her face before she lights back up. "Good morning, Sensei! I'm so excited for todays lesson~ I assume any seat is fine?" Miyako scampers over to a front row seat, perfect for absorbing the upcoming lesson. A cursory glance at the instructions leaves her with a certain bewilderment. She was entirely out of her depth. Awawawa. She had to much pride to ask for help, but it was practically plastered on her face, shifting side to side at her station. The first steps isn't so hard! She clumsily paws at a shallow glass dish and places all eight cuts of chicken within, and hesitantly pours the cup of buttermilk inside. Bleh. She takes a spoon and uses the backside to sort of spreads it out making sure its completely coated as instructed. A sigh of relief, as she puts it down in the fridge and takes her seat, setting the timer for exactly thirty minutes.

This is all so exciting~ Miyako wiggles in her seat, peeking around the classroom for familiar faces to make pleasant conversation with while she waiting for approaching ding.

WC: 355
TWC: 355/1000

Chikamatsu Nashi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
B
Kino was, well hesitant to come to the class. He was exhausted from events happening the past few weeks and was starting to feel like he'd dug himself into a rut. Uncharacteristic bags under his eyes and less than stellar energy, all signs he was not getting enough sleep. He shook it off though, he needed some time around other classmates of his or he was going to lose his mind. He made his way to school, yawning and rubbing his eyes the entire way.

Cooking was something Kino had done for most of his life, given that when he was younger his dad was a drinker and now he was alone, most nights he could count on having to whip something up, so the logic on signing up for this was an easy grade. But, when stepping into the classroom and looking at the board the realization of the dish and expectations hit. He by no means was incapable in making this, but he definitely was out of his element frying anything. He greeted the teacher with a small head bow and a, "Looking forward to this one, thank you for having me." Making his way to his seat, he looked over to see the familiar Miyako, to which he smiled and gave a greeting nod to as well. He hadn't seen her since the tangled wing incident and was a little embarrassed still about it and what had been implied during that time.

Looking at the board once more before gathering up his ingredients from their bins. He was making short work of the prepping part of this cooking course, though he knew the issue for himself would be later on given the instructions. His hands moved with both percision and grace as he carved the chicken, making sure to do so in a way that wasted as little of the bird as possible as his experience taught him to not waste a drop. He continued to focus on the task at hand but occasionally looked up to see the other students. He'd wait for someone to strike up conversation as he was honestly far too nervous to do so himself.

[wc363]
[twc 363]
[1/5]

Akamine Sota

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
B
"Tan.. talize.... taste buds? What's this guy taking?" is meant for nobody in particular, only serving to announce Sota's (rather late) entry.

Halfway through the class introduction, Sota strides in, and — nonono, swaggers in, like he's not burnt every cereal he'd tried his hand at — yanks back the first seat he finds. Before he thinks to sit, his eyes dance around the room and a flare lights them wide. Sees one unfamiliar girl, one familiar boy. Roars out "KINOOOO!!!!!!!!", and kicks the chair back into the table. Smile at his lips tells you it isn't just 'cause he's happy to see a familiar face. Matter of fact; it isn't at all because of this. Rather:

"let's work together, yeah?" and he plops down next to his ex-teammate. Leans back, throws clothed arms over the back of his seat.

Good for him, sitting next to a mini-chef. "Damn, Kino. When the hell did you get so good at cutting stuff? Mind showing me how to do it?" Another smile, flashy, pearly, gesturing between his bestest friend, Kino, and Sota's own waiting chicken.

wc 180 [180/1000]
post 1/5

Shinrya Sachiko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
D
Utsumi had lingered a distance from the classroom, knowing it to be her first smaller lesson with multiple other students and ... well, being kind of a freak about it, spying until the last bolt of red had entered the room. Heh heh heh ...

This gave her the appropriate chance to scrawl out everything she needed before heading in, her feet kicking while sat atop a nearby alcove and scribbling happily away. A hand, shifted from its flight across the page, would tap a gentle rhythm against the stone arch. An Utsumi original way of humming her happy feelings. Her face was soft and brightening every second she wrote, smiling with a thoughtful poke of her tongue out the side of cheeky lips. Another slow bob of her shoulders, flexing them back and then stancing them up to suck in her needed breath.

She launched off the arch, twirling mid-air with sketchpad in grasp, and maneuvered a sick combat roll to the entrance of the class. The problem, of course, being the loud bonking sound as small girl hit floor and the hiss of pain from clenched teeth. A knee scraped and redness blooming in the infancy of bruises along her arms later and she was wobbling up, her eyes consistent spirals and the dazzled sigh from her lips nearly a tangible puff. She stumbled in, still quite self-assured despite her inordinance. Heh heh heh ... ?

The first note, to the teacher, the general rigimarole to avoid previous embarrassing complications: Hi, I'm ✰ Utsumi Nanamiya! ✰ : ) I'm mute, but a really good listener haha. XP I don't need extra help or attention, but this is how I talk! Or I know sign language, if you do! I'm also good at interpretive dance and charades! [picture of a stick girl with jazz hands?] Thanks for having me, honorable Sensei!

A bound towards Sota as the most recent entrant, her giddiness a palpable force that seemed to radiate off of her and smother their little nations together. She lingered for just a second, hands holding her note for him, beaming, then slid it gently onto his desk with a wave to the boy she didn't recognize. She would follow up with a note for him, as well, grinning broad. Thumbs up!
umi1.png
X X X
umi2.png

[ For Sota: Sota-kun! Sota-kun! im so glad we're in class together! I'm pretty good at cooking if you need any help. Ganbatte! : D
For Kino: hiiiiii! i dont think we've MET! : O im Utsumi : ) Feel free to just SHOUT your name!!! (i have great hearing :3) ps. Let's do our bests!! ]

A saunter in untempered striding to the remaining girl in class, slipping in next to her with an expression of comraderie. Antics. Her note had much less on it, but it had a follow up:

umi3.png

[ Mi Ya Ko Onee-chan!!! Have you been Practicing your Signing? Test >:3 ]

Her hands would flurry the moment the page got recognition, a form of handseals for Utsumi's own nature of communication. I'm really happy to see you again!! I had a lot of fun at our sleepover the other night!! You know, you really are getting better. A playfull loll of her tongue. You might even beat me one of these days, Onee-chan ~ A twirl of a finger out. Have you cooked much before? You already started the chicken, so let me work out the rest! I have a lot of experience in the kitchen, haha. Perks of being raised a - how would you put it - a shrine priestess? Heh heh heh.

Too dark of a look for a girl just beginning to mix ingrendients en bowl in prep, only half paying attention yet easily cutting in the right amounts of each: seeming far too eager to get to the whisk.

[ 636 ]
[ 1/5 ]

Last edited:

Jinzo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Walking down the aisle, Jinzo greeted each student with a kind smile and a good well wishing. "Good morning, Sensei! I'm so excited for todays lesson~ I assume any seat is fine?" One bright eyed student even directly asked about her place. "Absolutely!" he smiled as he nodded in agreement with her placement. Cupping a hand near to his mouth however, he leaned in closely and gave her a tip. "Just, uhh, don't choose the station over there. No matter how many times they fix it, that station just never seems to produce an even cooking experience." Pointing at the station in particular, he winked and continued on. Walking nearer to another section of students, Jinzo heard one speak out in particular. "Looking forward to this one, thank you for having me." Putting a hand to his chest and shaking his head, Jinzo closed his eyes and took an exaggerated deep breath. "Please, the pleasure is all mine. Remember to do your..." "KINOOOO!!!!!!!!" " ...best!" The loud roar of another student momentarily distracted Jinzo as he he yelled out over the normal chatter to signal that student out in particular. "Hey, you! With that sort of fervor your chicken had better be just as loud and exciting!" Smirking, he gave the kid a playful salute. Jinzo was just about to finish his rounds when a quiet girl approached him with a note. Initially not knowing what the note was about, he blushed a bit as he braced himself before reading it.

Hi, I'm ✰ Utsumi Nanamiya! ✰ : ) I'm mute, but a really good listener haha. XP I don't need extra help or attention, but this is how I talk! Or I know sign language, if you do! I'm also good at interpretive dance and charades! [picture of a stick girl with jazz hands?] Thanks for having me, honorable Sensei!

Blinking, Jinzo's eyes lit up with extreme curiosity. Though he couldn't say that he'd intimately known of any mute people, sign language was considered an essential skill for Genin to learn. As an invaluable tool when on a mission, making sounds could very easily get someone killed and though he wouldn't call himself an expert at the language, he knew enough to make a formal introduction and to wish the girl well. ~Hello, . . . my name is Jinzo . . . and welcome . . . to my class! I know . . . that you'll do well! Please . . . choose . . . a place that's . . . most comfortable . . . for you.~ While he knew that he signed slower than was typically expected, he at least hopped that his signing was discernable. Filing away the knowledge, he realized that he would always need to make sure that the girl could clearly see him when he made any announcements. Surely a light display would get her attention in a pinch. Allowing the girl to continue on her way, Jinzo finished making his rounds and pointed out one kid in particular. "Hey, you might want to watch it on the spices, it's fried chicken but we're not trying to give people high blood pressure!" Some of these kids, it seemed, have never actually spent time in a kitchen making more than a PB&J sandwich.

OOC: Everyone should start on the process of making their chicken at this point. Jinzo will provide needed commentary.
OOC#2: ~Text~ indicates a use of sign language. If there's a time when Jinzo is both speaking and signing then it will be likely be ~"Text"~ and noted via the RP as well.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Crap! He was late! To his own exam! Well... part of exam, for none other than Jinzo! He knew the nature of what would be being taught today and because of that it led him on a number of activities trying to get himself sorted, it would be an understatement to say that he was very excited for the occassion. Having never learnt something like this for himself and his cooking skills being... subpar at best, one thing was for sure, he loved eating! With his package arriving late he would open it up in desperation to see if it did actually fit for his size, it was a tad bit tight but more or less he was in the right attire for a cooking class! With a hungry stomach and a need to be as close to on time as he could he dashed out of his house right towards the academy.

1701448464770.png

Constantly checking his watch as he ran, he was a minute late! He changed from running to jumping as he began to leap casually from rooftop to rooftop gracefully making his way with speed and precision, before finally reaching the windows of the academy after one big burst of a jump. Crawling alongside them using chakra to stick to the walls he would finally see a class that seemed to have Jinzo and some students inside of it with things beginning to take place. The window was slightly open so would just open it more from the outside before sticking one leg in, and slinking down on to the floor. "Jinzo! I am extremely sorry I'm late! I hope I have not missed to much!" Jolting to his two feet he'd wave to all the children preparing/starting their meals. "Hello children, I look forward to trying all your food today! I hope it will be delicious."

He noticed quite a few of them from previous encounters, his own student Sota, the mysterious boy Kino he'd seen a couple times and taught once, and the steadfast Miyako! Although there was one he was not quite sure of her name, she didn't seem quite loud at all. He smiled at them all, as he was hopeful to get to know them all today, before turning back to Jinzo. "You have likely already given them their instructions, so I'll sit back and watch you do your thing!" Leaning in a little closer for a whisper he would add something else. "I uh, how are we ranking the... from the looks of it studen'ts chicken."

Ryuu Goro

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
C
Miyako had done the easy part of the recipe and now stared blankly at the rest of the instructions, the words jumbling up together like it was written in a long-forgotten language. She removes her haori and scampers off to set it off to the side, not wanting to sully it with the multitude of spices and sticky oil she assumed would be exploding out of the fryers. "Hii, Kino-kun!" A hopping wave, flailing her arms at recognizing a familiar face. "It's really nice to see you again! I can't wait to try out your chicken~" She smiles, the joyful tenor in her voice echoing through the sounds of scrapes of steel upon cutting board. She scans the rest of the room and her skin crawls, the resounding uproar of a noxious voice sapping her culinary elation. Sota... bleeeeeh. Why did he have to be here, too? She retreats back to the safety of her station, ignoring the boy without so much as a second glance. She rolls up her sleeves and decides to get her hands dirty, it can't be any worse than being covered in blood! She looks at the ingredients she needed and places them in a bowl, with just a smidge of cayenne pepper for a kick, checking twice just in case she missed any. Nope, all good!. She lets it sit a moment as she heats up the oil, when a little note slips into view. "UMI-CHAN!" Her voice cracks, not ready for this level of excitement in the morning. "Oh my goodness~" She reads the note and prepares herself, watching intently. Miyako had been studying hard to be able to sign with Utsumi and wanted to showoff. Good morning, Utsumi... I will get you... Later... She laughs playfully and smacks her fist into the palm of her hand. "Etto.." She continues on struggling to remember exactly how to sign for the rest. I can't cook... Help your big sis? She pats Utsumi's head and shows her bowl filled to the brim with spices and gets taught the proper form to mix them together.

The timer dings and Miyako takes the chicken out of the fridge when she sees another friendly face... with a very silly apron that makes her giggle. She sets her chicken down and scampers over, almost tackling Keniwa from behind. She hangs off of his side and looks up with puppy dog eyes. "Good morning, Keni-sensei! Are you here to teach us how to cook, too!? Jinzo-sensei is really cool! D-Did you bring Nom with you?" She's stuttering over her words, too many thoughts entering her brain and leaking out just as fast. "Oh, crap! I need to go check the fryer!" And the little whirlwind was gone just as fast as she came., running back to her station to begin the tedious task of applying the batter to the chicken. She hums along, rubbing shoulders with her adorable little sister and nudging her for a little help when needed.

WC: 498
TWC: 853/1000

Chikamatsu Nashi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
B
Kino would turn bright red as his name was called out and immediately focus on anything else giving a slight hand raised wave in return. His face calmed as Sota arrived and made his entrance. Kino Smiled brightly as Sota joined him, "Hey.. Ya no I just um.. You learn a lot of weird stuff when you have to." He chuckled and continued to piece the chicken, and getting the ingredients in separate bowls to do the dip and double dip for the frying. "Honestly it's been too long since we hung out. I don't think that would be a problem, we need to make it as fancy as we can so.. I have some thoughts on adding some seasoning to the batter mix, you wanna start by getting the.." He paused as he was handed a note by the girl. His face showed his surprise, cheeks would redden, and his eyes widened slightly. He read the note and sighed in relief, he was for a split second less embarrassed than he had been a moment before. He would look up and sign to her while speaking as well, ~"Hey, my name is Kino. It's nice to meet you."~

He'd continue on with his cooking once she'd either responded or moved on to her own cooking. He would simply follow the instructions, minus the spices that he had added to give the coating a nice and mild peppery kick. He would dip the mixture three times, remembering to hit the dry ingredients with the seasonings after each dip. The result would be a nice layered and evenly seasoned crisp, or at least that is what he was hoping for. He made sure to allow room for Sota to work alongside him if not directly with him. He knew not to add too much of any one flavor, simply to enhance the flavor that the chicken already had by allowing the taste buds to expand and nostrils too.

While kino did have a great excuse on why he knew how to do what he was doing, the reality is this was his favorite thing to do. He may pass it off as just out of necessity, but if you were to go to his room you'd find that some of his only possessions are in fact cookbooks. He loved turning something bland or dull into something that you'd be asking him how he made. It was a great way to start a conversation, and his father, when sober enough to talk, would always tell him that was the way to impress someone. In hindsight it was more that his dad wanted better quality food without the price tag, but Kino still took the lesson to heart.

[wc 453]
[twc 826/1000]

Akamine Sota

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
B
Hey, you! With that sort of fervor your chicken had better be just as loud and exciting

Yeah, right.

Alright, Kino doesn't take the hint. Only irritates the roll of eyes. Add a small huff, and pinched brows when the other boy almost ends his speech with a fucking demand. What good was a mini-chef if he was, in normal circumstances, stupid?

Before a quip can be sharpened and delivered, a thud yanks Sota's chin away. Sees: 1 familiar witch. ???????????????????? Someone he'd not expected — hell, doesn't want — to be here. If Kino's face is about to wash with a warmth, Sota's is already burnt by it, and — holy shit. If Kino was stupid, then Utsumi was... "think you might've found a contender.."

Fuck, and now she's approaching them. Shoo, shoo!!!!!!

Sota's posture remains much too lackadaisical to suggest an invitation, but when has Utsumi ever known to read signs? (lol) When an infectious smile & a small note is slid his way, he makes a show out of offering nothing in return. Linked lips, indifferent eyes trailing down.. (is that a rat in the upper corner?) — "yeah, whatever, cover your injuries 'fore you infect us all — " then to Kino's note. To the several I's lined with hearts ontop. Then............... to Kino, and — "the fuck are you so red for?"

As Utsumi scampers off, Sota takes his chance and fully turns to face Kino. "Hey, I wasn't asking for some cooking advice. I'm telling you to cook my chicken for me." And when the creased lines ease between his brows, he rekindles some version of a smile, adds: "coz we're friends, right?"

And so, no. Sota doesn't work alongside him. Simply lazes in his seat, occasionally eying a witch in his peripheral. Easily missing the presence of his own mentor. Easily growing tense over his own progress... now that someone else is doing better (he eyes the blonde girl in the distance)...... now that...........

wc 324 [504/1000]
post 2/5

Last edited:

Shinrya Sachiko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
D
The events of an ordinary girl's average daily life played out thus:

Jinzo-sensei didn't simply take her note and smile her away - as expected, as all of her teachers had done before - and the light in her eyes was almost blinding in intensity. There was an immediate and real reaction of gratitude and excitement the moment he started moving his hands in telltale shapes to respond. She practically starts jumping up and down - she doesn't, but the way her body vibrates, she might as well have. She does clap. It's not in condescension but genuine appreciation - That was really good, Jinzo-san! Thank you for your effort! Don't worry, I have friends here! : ) She left him with a skip of her feet, waving back and brimming wide. She had almost forgotten the various scrapes that lined her daredevil body, but, hey - one thought at a time, right? How many more could you possibly hold?

Sota was adorable as he always seemed to be while skimming her note; his apparent disinterest didn't quite work on her, so she offered instead the cheekiest grin in her own excitement. I'm happy to see you, too, Sota-kun, she thought. She likened the boy's stony countenance and dismissal as his inability to express his very real untold joy at her appearance. She was really cool, right? She had looked really cool? She recovered super fast from the fall! That's to her advantage! Eheh ... ? Heh?! She about brushed his shoulder when she went to leave, trailing the tips of her fingers in a show of comraderie. Comfort?

Kino was the surprising one, if anything - she hadn't known the boy prior like the other kids in the room, but he immediately imprinted a fantastic impression that had her almost spilling over their desk; falling, falling from the sky, stars in her eyes. Her arms twitched in eagerness. They wagged at her sides - if she had a tail, she'd be even more transparent!! Woah! Woah~! [some type of explosion motions??] It's nice to meet you, too, Kino-chi! Her fingers briefly fumbled over each other as she addressed him, giggling. That was really good! You and Jinzo-sama are the first people I've met in Leaf who could sign with me first. Thank you! So much! I hope we can be good friends!! :3 :3 :3

Miyako was Miyako. She was, and would always be, the easiest person for Utsumi to manage. She was hilarious, as a rule. She brought such a deep warmth and giddy, conspiratorial lightness to Umi's crimson. That turn of red washed over her until - in vibrant orange hues - they coalesced in their little bubble. She couldn't wait to actually converse when Miyako greeted her so explosively - she clapped her hands together in a loud snap and suffocated the other girl beneath her fiery aura. The soft sound of fireworks under pillowcases. Miya-chan. : D!

Afterward, it quickly became apparent to Utsumi that Miyako had very little experience with food preperation: but, but, she read and followed instructions like a champ, so the disaster seemed to be more in her head than reality. Utsumi would spare a fair few moments just watching her work before she slid into the role herself, a little flick of chakra beneath fingertips that pried through ingredients and sparked through the food. Don't worry, big sis ~ Your dutiful, spectacular nee-chan will always do everything. Smug. Smug. Smug. This chicken will be as finished as your life points, Miyako Onee-chan. :3c

And then, an entrant: a whole man? He hadn't introduced himself as he slipped in through the window, and stars once more lit in a young girl's eyes. Cool ... He was so cool!? Miyako seemed to agree with her likewise explosive response, leaving Utsumi to mend over the cooking while she ran over. Ke-ni? Exceptional? He sure looked like it! The apron particularly caught her attention; what a bright garment for a position of authority. Oh, how that likened her to him more. She was smiling. It didn't have much intent - it was just a smile - but she felt warm. She considered this. She would normally run up to greet someone who made this good of a first impression, sketches with words of elation & curiosity practically streaming out of her hands, but she stalled this time. She looked around. She watched the back of Miyako's hair bounce as she bubbled to the man, and over at Sota and Kino who felt in their own little event, and over at the teacher watching them all, and then down at her hands. They thumbed the top of a table layered in its fine coat of prep work. She almost opened her mouth to speak, to address Miya, or Keni, or Sota - and she, obviously, stopped herself. Just smiled. It wasn't quite her world.

She lifted her hand to wave to him, polite, and met Miyako with an absurd amount of cheekiness when she ran back in playful alarm: having already pulled the frier and started on their next buttermilk step, dabbing Miyako's nose with it. Spark. This was easier, anyway.

Jinzo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Though he hadn't announced it ahead of time, Jinzo beamed with pride when Keni, now a Sennin, walked through the doorway. "Jinzo! I am extremely sorry I'm late! I hope I have not missed to much!" Shrugging, Jinzo shook his head while giving a sly grin. "What am I going to do, dock your final grade a few points?" It was when Jinzo got nearer to the Sennin that Keni dared to ask the real questions. "I uh, how are we ranking the... from the looks of it student's chicken." Looking around to make sure that nobody was within earshot, Jinzo stated the plain answer. "Honestly, let's just hope that its edible. If they figure that part out, I'm sure that the rest will work itself out, right?" Chuckling and slapping the Sennin on the back, he went back to inspecting the students attempts. As if on cue, one student yelled out in alarm. "Oh, crap! I need to go check the fryer!" Just like that Miyako was proving Jinzo right. Stopping by her cooking station, Jinzo gave her a tip. "Just as a good tip, try using a timer to make sure that you're keeping to the science of cooking as much as the art. Timers keep me focused even when I'm not!" Nodding, Jinzo would move on and allow her her space.

Then there was Kino, or rather, Jinzo's apparent competition in the cooking space. Eying the boy's technique, Jinzo would nod his head in understanding before he spoke. "You seem to know your way around a kitchen. Honestly, I probably could have slid you into the advanced class had I known that ahead of time but there's always next time." Though he'd grow quiet to continue to take in the boy's ever so careful way of preparing his food, Jinzo would throw in the extra curveball to truly test him. "Since you're so good at this, I'm going to switch things up for you. Your chicken will now be graded on how well your complementary sauces pair with your chicken." Giving the boy a thumbs up and winking, he'd leave with just as much notice as he had come. Like before however, there was the loud one, Sota. Seemingly transfixed by a gaze that Jinzo had to turn around to connect, it seemed that Sota was more apt to stare at girls than to actually get his cooking done. Raising his voice loud enough to catch the attention of all but Utsumi, Jinzo called the two students that he was speaking to out by name. "Miyako, I now need you to take over manning both your station and Sota's station in terms of making sure that his chicken comes out right. Sota, I need you to make complementary side dishes for everyone's chicken, and that includes Kino's extra special makings. The refrigerators in the back of the classroom have fresh produce and your station should have more than enough seasons to handle what you'll be able to make in the allotted amount of time."

Normally one to smirk with a good meaning, this time Jinzo's smile was gleeful in a devious way. "I'd tell you good luck but some things shouldn't be left to chance. Do your best!" Once again, Jinzo didn't stop to hear any sort of complaints or rebuttals. Making the rounds to one student after another, he worked his way around the room, saving the best for last. His next destination would require a more refined touch. Just starting the process, Jinzo would walk up to the girl, being sure to keep well within her natural viewing range and he'd signal that he wanted to get her attention. ~Hey, I wanted to let you know that I've updated the grading scale and that everyone now has new assignments. I want you to tell a story with the food being prepared today. You can do this by putting the food on the plate in a special way, coloring the plate with sauces and side dishes and generally making sure that your food looks and smells as good as it taste.~ Hoping that the girl would understand what he meant, Jinzo once again signed that he was about to make an announcement to the class. Stepping to the side and clearing his throat, he got the attention of all.

~"Can I get everyone's attention please!"~ Waiting until the chatter died down, he would then continue. ~"Each of you has now received a new special assignment to go along with this cooking lesson. This is to demonstrate the sometimes unfair nature of the world that we live in. Much like in a kitchen, on the battlefield, sometimes you'll have to step up and be the hero and sometimes you'll have to be the lookout for when somebody needs to get in a quick nap. It won't all be glamorous and it certainly won't be fun but situations can change in the blink of an eye. Cooking in a kitchen can oftentimes be just as haphazardous so don't take your new assignments lightly and don't forget that in the end, we either all pass or we all fail, together! If you have any questions or need any tips, let me know and do your best! You have one hour to complete these new assignments and your new assignments must accommodate all twenty-three of us present today! "~ Clapping his hands waved them all away to start on their new concoctions now with a time limit attached. Walking back to the front of the classroom, Jinzo waved to Keni. "Hey, I hope that you brought your appetite!"

OOC: New assignments are below. Remember, your assignment must account for a full serving for 23 people.

New Time Limit - 60 minutes
Miyako - Man two cooking stations, yours and Sota's, making sure that the two separate batches of fried chicken come out edible.
Kino - Make sauces to go along with todays fried chicken.
Sota - Make side dishes to go along with the fried chicken.
Utsumi - Tell a story via the plating of the cooked food today

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Overjoyed to see Miyako a wide smile would stretch across his face as he would extend a palm out as if asking for a high five, "Hello Miyako! Nom's out doing some adventures but maybe he can say hi at the end of the class! I hope you and Denjiro are getting on great!" Though the bundle of joy was back on the run ready to check her fryer, he was happy to see the younger generation so eager and ecstatic. Although he only hoped that Sota and Kino would get along, he wouldn't be surprised if Sota was up to any sort of mischief. However that wasn't his problem today! That was up to the examinee. His only job was to eat some hopefully cooked chicken. Keniwa smiled as Jinzo hit his back it was a sign of friendship and familiarity and he was glad that the two could still share a joke and that his position didn't change anything. Chuckling to himself he'd watch eagerly as the genin began to make his way towards the students ready to help them out as they cooked.

Although it seemed like Miyako was very quick on the uptake, as well as Kino both seeming to be somewhat naturals in the kitchen even despite their childish demeanours they were both looking quite mature at the moment. Although whilst he leant back he would notice something... peculiar... Jinzo was using sign language with one of the girls? The only student he didn't know, it was... amazing! He only wished that he knew how to, perhaps he would ask one of them for lessons afterwards?

Keniwa would take a few mental notes from watching the steadfast teacher go about and help the others out, he was certainly on a good track so far. It seemed like he was doing great with all of them to some regard, we'd just have to see how the chicken turned out by the end of it all. After his announcement however the sennin's eyes would widen in shock. 23..? Looking around it was only the 6 of them and that was if the children would be eating as well... even then that left 17 plates. "Hey, I hope that you brought your appetite!" .... Crap. He was hungry... but 17 people hungry?! All he could do was pray that some of the chicken got burnt in the process, not that he'd let that slip or anything. "Haha yes, totally..." Bastard... what was he tryna do fatten him up and feed him to a witch?!

Making his way to Sota with the new task he was given he'd been curious how his prized student was doing, especially in such a task as this one, it didn't really seem him style. Tapping the red haired boy on the shoulder with a cutesy smile and his hands now behind his back. "Hey Sota! How is it going? You got a new task right? I am sure you will do great, you got this!" Bringing him arms out to make a fist bumping gesture before offering his fist up for sota to bump.

Ryuu Goro

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
C
Weh! Miyako is pouting. She was having trouble keeping up with the complex intricacies of the culinary arts and without Utsumi's help she felt doomed to fail. She brushes against her shoulders to get her attention with a fast little sign accentuated with a heart. ~Thank you <3~ The little whirlwind zooming back and forth at the beat of a timed jingle. A simple Pavlovian response to make her body move. Her head was empty, much like the dog drooling for its treat. How would she know if she was doing any of it right before the fated tasting test!? Cooking is intimidating! Far scarier than the simple rules of the battlefield. An order from the colonel! Miyako, you have a new mission!

...Assist Sota with his station. Actually, she would be fully in charge of it. Aye, aye cap'n.

She scampers over to the boy's station, arms crossed with a dismissive, sulking veneer. "Hmphh! Ss-Step aside... please! Your station is in the very capable hands of everyone's favorite princess, right? Aren't you the lucky one, huh!?" Big talk for someone that is utterly clueless and out of their depths. Well, at least Utsumi will help in the event of a disaster. Let's see here. What has he done so far? Hmm. It looks pretty hastily done. Not at all professional like yours truly. Miyako lets out a groan that can only be described as the last dying gasps of whatever hope she had in the world. Okay, whatever! She just has to fry the stuff with a timer and everything should work out just fine!. It just has to be edible~ Miyako heats the fryer to the appropriate temperature and slowly dips in the first batch of Sota's messy chicken, bouncing back and forth to check on her own. So far so good. As long as she keeps up with the timers it'll all work out. Thirteen minutes between batches, on the dot, draining them out on wire racks, per instructions, before dipping another bundle in. Miyako claps her hands together for a handseal, gathering her chakra into the palm of her hand adn releases a gentle stream of air to cool the finished chicken down for Utsumi's task. It's her duty to look out for her little sister and protect her from any nasty burns! "Umu!"

WC 386
TWC: 1239/1000

Chikamatsu Nashi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
B
Kino nodded at his new instructions, his chicken was practically done at this point so he'd need to think about what would pair well with it in order to provide some sort of flavor not met with his ingredients. A smirk crossed his face as he wa about to say something to Sota about being a leech on his work, when the job of side dishes was passed to him. He held back from laughing as the irony of avoiding work to only find more was something so bitter sweet. However, he was distracted as Miyako came to take over Sota's station, catching that Sota was eyeballing her only made that distraction worse. He quickly shook it off, quite literally like a dog shakes off water, then went about getting to work on the sauces. He wanted to make sure that when he made it, he made enough that if it was well received the person eating it could use it on other chicken as well.

He had quickly grabbed ingredients not on the list but for some reason still in the class, he wondered if this was part of the plan the whole time given this but he pushed that thought down and got to it. He mashed some seeds into a thick paste, being a variety of mustard flavoring, before mixing it in with the base. Then he quickly added some squeezed lemon, mashed garlic, capers, scallions, salt, and some chili to taste. He took a small taste and nodded before adding a splash more of lemon juice to the mixture and calling it good. Once the sauce was finished he began to plate his chicken, making sure to leave room for both the sauce dish and whatever side was going to be added. He drizzled a small bit of the sauce over the chicken, only enough to decorate the pieces but not overwhelm it. The last thing he did was set a few sprinkles of scallions left from the sauce over the chicken, a garnish of sort. While it may not have been something a true chef would present, for Kino this was something to be proud of and he was.

He would look to the others, offering help to any who needed it while his food stayed put near the heat source but far enough to prevent the chicken from drying out. Any favors asked, he would attempt his best to help with while they all finished what they were working on. He had a genuine smile and air of confidence about him in this moment, sometimes when doing something that is simple in a way that is chaotic one can find a sense of peace, this was exactly what Kino was feeling.

[wc 454]
[twc 1280/1000]

Akamine Sota

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
B
A shiver travels up his form, rattles it. Sota is frozen, stood a-still — but not for any reputable reason. She means to do it, doesn't she? That witch — sweeping past his shoulder like a cat. She's an idiot. A witch!!! He's a statue, and a statue only breaks by the shock of a hammer. Shock #1: Kino can sign. What??? The idea that Utsumi and Kino may exchange words without Sota's knowing is.... it's................. well. It's not good, is what it is. Seeing a conversation he is blind to twists his features and carves more angry lines between his brows. The question of why may never be answered.

Instead, he barks out a "what? Why???" to statement. One of his teacher's newest idea of torture. A new prompt for the boy; prep some side-dishes for the undeserving kids of the class. Now, why the hell would he ever —

Hey Sota! How is it going?

It's a trend, it's a cliché. Once again, Sota freezes on the spot. A slow turn of his head & he's looking at the very, very last man he'd hoped to find. A long, flat stare settles on the knuckles extended to him. "Uh. Yeah." A fist left to rot in the air. Neglected, for Sota makes another quick turn and — "I'm on it, I'm on it. You don't have to be on my ass — " steps past him. That's why he'd made his way over here, isn't it?

Sota steps and pauses. Just before he can bump into blonde locks and a pretty frown. Utsumi's friend. But he's got a side-dish to make. "Yeah, yeah, shut up." So he moves past everybody's favorite princess. Stops at the refrigerators in the back, and slams open the door of one.

So — alright. Here's how Sota makes side-dishes for the class:

A big ball of lettuce is grabbed in unwashed hands. Slammed on the table — not the cutting board, but quite literally the table. They'd best all pray the ingredients came pre-washed as Sota refuses to run the lettuce under water. And, for a blade he figures a cleaver will do. SLAM's the sound of the metal slicing past greenery and into the table. Another SLAM, SLAM, SLAM and Sota decides he's done. Grabs soup bowls and fills them with his creatively chopped salad. Then, scavenges the fridge for another idea. Finds none, just a single tomato. So he places it in one of the 23 bowls. Whoever's lucky will get that one.

"ALL DONE, SENSEI!" and he falls back in his chair, slumped, with an exhausted breath. A day's (15 min) hard work takes its toll.

wc 439 [943/1000]
post 3/5
im sorry to everyone in this thread / class

Shinrya Sachiko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
D
A story to tell?

Utsumi's hands curled in to each other - not quite holding themselves, but trembling at the tips just against the bone of the other as she fell into contemplation. It wasn't a usual look on her. The way her nose scrunched in thought, her eyebrows curled in, her teeth rode over the edge of her bottom lip and chewed it in -- no one had ever really had the chance to see Utsumi in this habitat before. Frankly, she didn't often have to think that much, and when she did it came with the qualifier of a stressful situation that needed to be solved as soon as possible. She couldn't very well beat the chicken into paste with her bare fists to tell her story, could she? ... Could she? The simulacrum of a sigh.

Miya-chan was sent off on her own assignment: and out of everyone, she partnered with Sota. Utsumi felt a little twinge. She looked up and over as Jinzo finished relaying their new goals to them each - a gleefully signed Thank You!! : ) in ecstatic curves of her fingers and wrists (she was still getting used to anyone being able to sign back, and to such an extent! It was so exciting!) - and just watched the two in their own little space. Her lips turned down at one corner? They obviously weren't getting along off the bat. Was this ... jealousy? That didn't seem right. She didn't particularly want to be Sota or Miyako in their situations - that would mean one of them got left out - she would have just wanted to ... be with both of them, all together. Working on their tasks. ... Envy, then? Ah, that's gross, Utsumi. Be normal. You have a job to do - so do they. Her eyes found Jinzo, and Keni, and Kino, and the rambunction aside, and she thought back to her story.

And then she thought to help a little.

She pulled out a sketch pad in a skip between her working on her assignment, scribbling furiously with a grin that could only be described as cheshiran. It needed color. It needed pop! It needed to bring them together, didn't it? Her two favorite people over in her little side of the world, over in theirs. The lines were drawn heavy and bright, and she scooched herself up to balance wobbly on her chair with a stamp! down to get their attention, not in tantrum. She beamed over the top of the page she held up. Her fingers bent to make peace signs at each end, and if she could toss in a chortle she would.

umi9.png

[ Sota-Kun & Miya-chan
Do your bests!!!

Sota: Please help Miya! She's so silly : P / Miya: Sota's good if you say "Please!" ♡
♡ ♡ get along! ♡ ♡
]​

There, that should help. Right? And it gave her her idea. She'd get to work after an appropriate - or, well, inappropriate - amount of time had passed to regale the entire class with this, and she'd slide back down with a happy jaunt and wagging of her (she doesn't have a tail) head in a rhythmic sway, working on getting what she'd need together.

Garnish with garnish, framed by the sides, holding up the chicken in the middle. Nothing to be left out. Even if the tomato is away from the corn, they're still connected by the ring of greenery that ties them all together. The chicken wasn't at the center of it all, really - it was just keeping them all connected. Th ... that works, right?

Jinzo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
And they were off to the races, or rather, the cooking crescendo generally rose to an even higher high as the sound and smells of the kitchen began to waft in Jinzo's direction. With all of the students forced to take on a second task, most in a direction that they hadn't initially planned on going, it was clear that there were those who could take on the challenge of an objective change and those that couldn't. The usual suspects seemed to rise to the top and though many of his peers seemed to make out alright, Sota seemed to be lagging behind. A chance side conversation drew Jinzo's attention away from the boy and he soon found himself explaining the ins and outs of why it probably wasn't best to fry chicken in an oil mix that had just held fish. All in all, that student eventually got the point of it all and opted to start their dish all over from scratch. Shaking his head and going to check on Keni, Jinzo cozied up to his new boss in a matter of fact way and shrugged his shoulders at what he saw. "You know, if there's one thing that I appreciate about these kids, it's the fact that they all seem to have good and healthy relationships with their friends. Back in my day, people just punched you in the nose and went on about their business..." Jokingly giving a nervous laugh, Jinzo shook his head and smiled. "I jest, but honestly, I really hope that they get the point of this lesson. Not every mission is going to involve saving some old lady's cat and when the going gets tough then you have to fall back on your training and hopefully your friends. Real life isn't like the manga that we read." Continuing on in his somewhat private conversation with Keni, when time started to wind down, serving tables where wheeled out with enough room for everyone's dishes to be neatly sat on them. Signaling for the classes attention, Jinzo raised his voice and began to approach Utsumi before signing. ~"There are only five minutes left! In order to get credit for your creations you will have to make sure that the final product is neatly placed on the serving table! Finish strong!"~ Many of the students looked utterly frazzled but all seemed to understand that implication of falling just short of the finish line. Would they all stick the landing? Only time would tell.

OOC: Your next posts should involve final plating and arranging on the serving table for inspection.
OOC #2: I rolled the dice to see if we'd all get food poison from Sota and thankfully we will not. o_O

Umashi-Ret. Kage | Sora-Genin — Today at 10:08 AM
Sota's food causing food poison. Odd v Even. Even = in the clear best of 3 out of 3
t!dice 3d2
Tatsu
BOT
— Today at 10:09 AM
Rolling dice!
[3d2 : 2,1,1]
In the end, the result was: 4
Umashi-Ret. Kage | Sora-Genin — Today at 10:09 AM
t!dice 3d2
Tatsu
BOT
Rolling dice!
[3d2 : 2,1,2]
In the end, the result was: 5
t!dice 3d2
Tatsu
BOT
Rolling dice!
[3d2 : 2,2,1]
In the end, the result was: 5
Whew!
No food poison

Last edited:
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Smiling at the red head he knew that he wasn't the type to really react in a friendly manner, however he felt as if encouragement would go a long way with encouraging him. However he wouldn't get the chance to see what would happen to Sota and his food making process, although he did wonder why he treated Miyako of all people the way he did. She was likely the top of her class in many ways, most friendly, most courageous... perhaps he didn't like those qualities? He gave the two a friendly wave before he was about to look at what the others were getting up to although being stopped by a cozy Jinzo. He certainly appreciated his down to earth personality... however some of his jokes were a little... on the nose. "Your right! It is great to see that they are all getting along, you reminded me of something though. That is likely a class I will have to let them experience in some way or another. It is great to see them all happy and full of joy... I only hope life is not too harsh on them, and that they are prepared when worst comes to worst. Being able to work as a team is a great place to start in training!"

Continuing the conversation time seemed to go by just like that as they seemed to be wrapping up their dishes.. and well.. could you really call them all that?! He hadn't been practicing his resistance to poison and wished that he had taken that in to his training regime before this. Maybe it was all a plot for him to eat a concoction and meet his timely end, he only hoped the taste wasn't as horrendous as those side dishes were looking. 'Please... please let the other meals be good, I have faith in you younglings.'

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back