Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Shishi Odoshi and Sake [Semi-Private PM to Enter]

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
“Protect the Raikage at all costs!” A static shout came through my earpiece. The halls of the Torre were on fire as our squad moved through them with utmost speed. “—ammit… They’ve broken through the barrier! Is the Raikage out yet?” Another voice through the same earbud. Two squads of three were assigned to move the Raikage to a safe location. My squad ran a couple meters ahead. We were scouting, trying to be as unnoticeable as possible, trying to avoid direct conflict. I could hear another explosion off in the distance.

“We’re at point B,” called the ANBU Sennin’s voice, both in front of me and through the earpiece. When he reached the end of the current hall he stopped and hugged the corner, silently signaling for us to halt. Reaching for the hilt of his sword, we waited with baited breath as we listened to see what would be on the other side. Shin-sama and the second ANBU squad caught up quickly and quietly while keeping a safe distance behind us. We heard nothing. Finally giving the ‘okay’ signal, Ayumu turned down the hall. My teammates and I were only a step behind him.

‘How did this happen?’ I had to ask myself. Ayumu-sama had been tipped off only a matter of minutes before a part of the Sileo exploded. He grabbed 5 of the nearest ANBU and immediately headed for the Torre. Battle filled the streets. Every so often, there would be another explosion in a different part of the village, significant governmental building going up in flames. It was a miracle we found the Raikage in the chaos at all. Another explosion, this time closer, shook the hallway.

“Status update.” Ayumu uttered softly through his headset as we continued. All that met his response however was intermittent static. Someone was talking, but the signal was being jammed. I grimaced. We no longer had eyes outside of these walls. We were running blind. “You,” Ayumu-sama said gesturing toward me while we ran. “Should we be attacked, I will be splitting off from the group to delay any pursuers. You are acting squad leader should this happen. Your orders are to get the Raikage to Raiden’s Eye, and protect him and the Shogun at all costs.”

“Hai, Ayumu-sama,” I said in response. He wouldn’t know my name, or any of our names with our ANBU masks on. He turned back to running ahead, and tried to speak through his headset hoping someone would be able to hear. “We are approaching point C, requesting an update on the current status of the area—“

Suddenly a force hit me from behind. My body flew over his, landing and rolling a few times before skidding to a stop. Somewhere along the way I felt my ANBU mask slip. It slammed into the ground, splitting in two. I had expected to feel pain, but only a small pressure covered me. I was disoriented. It became hard to breathe and it took a second to realize that we had been ambushed from behind. ‘Raikage-sama!’ I thought desperately as I attempted to lift myself.

I realized I couldn’t move. I looked at the hands that lay in front of me. They were scorched red, unresponsive to my mind’s demands, but still painless. We were in an explosion. A sharp clink reached my ears as I directed my eyes towards the flames. Ayumu-sama was locked in a desperate battle with the figure in front of him. His back to me and I couldn’t tell who he was fighting, but I could tell that he wasn’t winning. ‘I must help him!’ I realized. My body still refused to move, and I continued to have difficulty breathing. Suddenly, as if the world shifted, I heard a grunt before my Sennin slumped forward into his opponent. A second later his sword landed and skidded close to me. “AYUMU-KUN!” I tried to scream, but my body still unresponsive. I was losing consciousness from lack of air. I wanted to cry, but no sound came from my mouth.

A small groan came from Ayumu’s body as it fell to the side, finally revealing his attacker. Confusion flooded me. "Why?!"</COLOR><i></i> I tried to scream. He turned to look at me… no… past me… “Finish this,” he said to whoever was behind me before turning and going after the squad that whisked the Raikage away.

“Hai, Kushin-sama,” responded a very familiar voice. I could hear whoever stood behind me approach at a leisurely pace. I started to see spots, struggling to find breath. I needed to breathe. I needed to move! I had to protect him! <COLOR color="#00BF80">“A..yu..mu…kun,” I said, but it was no louder than a whisper and was muffled. Recognizable black boots walked around my head. As the person walked further away from me, I could slowly see more and more of them. Confusion no longer accurately described how I felt when I saw the red cloak, chin-length hair, and the womanly body. She reach down for Ayumu’s discarded sword before walking towards the Sennin. There was a pause of silence before the figured sighed. “I tried to warn you.” She said softly. Tears ran down my face. I could feel them as my lungs struggled for air. My body was starting to respond to me, but reaching out to the scene in front of me was all I could do. What was this!? What was going on!? “I tried to tell you to run, but you wouldn’t listen… You never listen…”

She stopped by Ayumu’s body as he struggled to get up and failed. I could see the blood trickling from his mouth. He was bleeding internally. He opened his eyes and I watched as betrayal flash through them when he looked up at the woman who held his sword. “I warned you not to trust me,” the figure said quietly as she raised the sword above Ayumu. Sharp end aligned with his jugular. I tried to scream, anything to help. Anything that would delay what I saw happening. I tried to reach out to him… to beg for his life. Everything I said was muffled. I couldn’t catch the breath I lost. The world began to darken.

“Ka…ha…” was all I heard Ayumu say before I watched myself plunge Ayumu’s own sword through his throat.

_______________________________________________​

The evening after ‘Home Sweet Home’ Guest House at Shinrya Mansion

Kahako flew from her bed and rolled to the floor, grabbing her kunai on the way. Tears were streaming down her face as she struggled to catch her breath. Coughing, she looked around bewildered, half expecting to find herself in a burned out Torre. She struggled for a good minute before coming to realize that Kumo wasn’t being attacked, but instead she was dreaming and looking at the four walls of her bedroom. Once reality sunk in, she dropped her weapon and gasped while remaining on her elbows and knees. ‘A nightmare,’ she thought breathing in the night air in deep, slow breaths. Once she felt a little less light-headed, she lifted herself off the ground onto her knees and looked at her bed.

The light blue top pillow had a large wet stain and there were lasting impressions of teeth marks a little lower. “Well, that explains the lack of breathing,” she said to no one in particular before glancing at her clock and turning to sit with her back against her bed while rubbing the sleep from her face. The little dial told her that it was shortly after one am.

It had only been six hours since she had her first dinner date with Ayumu. After she left him, she went straight home, as she had no wish to do anything else. ‘Home’ was currently one of the guest houses at Shinrya Mansion. She had decided that the manor was much too big for her, even if she shared it with Kitsune, and moved into a smaller, more private area. It consisted of a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and small living area that had shoji doors which lead to an outdoor seating area and Kitsune’s garden.

Even though it was smaller, it was still empty when Kahako only had her thoughts to entertain herself with. And by the end of today’s events, Kahako had a large amount of thoughts that she didn’t want to be left alone with. Clearly, her subconscious agreed as it created a dream so vivid, she was still slightly uncertain if it was a dream at all. She stretched. ‘Well, I’m not going to sleep now,’ she thought as she rose from the floor and moved on into the kitchen.
81483-bigthumbnail.jpg

On nights when Kahako couldn’t sleep, she had taken a custom to snack on something while she enjoyed Kitsune’s garden from the view of the living area. The scent of the tatami in the room mixed wonderfully with that of the garden, relaxing her while she ate. Tonight, however, she paused before walking from the cupboards. Sitting on the top shelf was a large bottle of Sake. Her aunt gave it to her (surprisingly) on her birthday, claiming that it was a gift from her mother in celebration of Kahako reaching ‘true adulthood.’ Having no interest in drinking and no one to drink with, Kahako left it in the back of her cabinets to gather dust.

It took her only a minute to decide that today’s events were enough to warrant drinking alone. It took five more for her to be leaning against a porch post with the opened bottle next to her and a filled cup of sake. She paused to listen to the sound of the garden. Water trickled in the background while the small night creatures chirped and cricketed and croaked.

In truth, she didn’t want to drink alone. But who would she turn to after an emotionally stressful day and dream? Her aunt? She scoffed and nixed that idea. Kitsune was MIA, maybe on a mission for all Kahako knew. The windows in the mansion were devoid of life and had been for a few days. Ayumu might come this late if she called… the last part of her dream flashed through her mind again. The slight disappointment and pity in dream-Kahako’s eyes as she held the sword above the betrayed Ayumu was as clear as day.

Kahako set down her un-sipped sake, wrapping her bare arms around her pajama-covered knees. A slightly cool breeze blew against her bare shoulders. Goose bumps rose across her rarely exposed flesh and her hair tickled her cheeks. Maybe a tank top and cotton pants weren’t the best thing to wear outside, but the cold never bothered her anyway.

What bothered her was that she had perfectly good alcohol and snacks, a wonderful view of the moon, and a heavy burden on her heart, but no one around she wanted to share it with. Kahako hid her face in her knees. “Satou…” she called out softly, almost in a whisper that no one would hear. It was the last name that came to mind when she could think of no one else. She didn’t say it as if to call out to him. It was too late to call out to anyone, really. She said it because that was probably the only other person in the world who had always, albeit not intentionally, been there in moments when she was unsure or afraid.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
A name, a name I dreadfully wish to forget. A name I wish wouldn't be uttered. Please, silently weep. Don't ever call to me, please let me sleep in this morbid dream...

A gentle hand stroked the long thick locks of black. A women's voice reached the young mans ear's. "Your hair is growing out a bit long." It was more annoyed and playful this time. It brought a smile to his lips. "Sorry..." He paused. "You used to like me with short hair, I'll cut it later." He whispered. His own voice, why was it so unfamiliar?

His eyes remained closed. He knew the scene where he laid, his women's arms around him. This place was eternal to him. Her soft laughter was warming as he snuggled his face into her distended tummy, his lips kissing the soft pink flesh that gently moved. "The baby kicked me." He couldn't help but laugh. His wife laughed along with him. "She kicked you..." His body shot upright when she announced he was having a daughter. "Its a baby girl?" His eyes lit up, bright forest green eyes tearing up. His arms folded around her, hugging his beloved. "I love you ______" He whispered, tears burning down his cheek. Something was wrong when he tried to say her name, it came out like a whisper. He could not even hear it himself. "I love you too Satou-otto" Her soft lips kissed his neck, yet he could barely feel it. It confused him for the briefest moment, but slowly pulling away, his mind changed the subject. "So, should we think up a name?" She asked as her hands, so small and frail looking compared to his weathered gaunt hands to hold on him.

Satou's smile was almost melancholy, looking now past her. But there was something wrong, his vision was blurring. The scene wasn't like he remembered, the grass he sat on was dead now, the tree's were withered and the leafs no more. His beloved was still there though, sitting in front of him. Looking into her eyes, though slowly his vision was worsening as his wife's face was slowly blotting out. He reached up to touch the soft skin of her cheek as he heard her speak... "Lets call her _____" As his hand had almost touched her face, everything went dark. "_____?!" He called out, but there was silence. His voice was gone. Her name was gone.

What was her name? What was the name of the women I love?Loved."

There was nothing but darkness around him, not night, pure nothingness. Deafening silence, even his breath couldn't be heard. Just endless staring as he wandered in this empty void. Listening, hoping to hear her sweet voice once more. He couldn't tell how long he wandered, gasping for a name to scream out to.

"Satou"

His eyes opened, he breathed. And tasted a mouthful of dirt.

The world was raw once more, he felt the compression of it, he awoken from the dark place. underneath something? In something? It took but a few seconds to get the grimy sand and stone taste in his mouth. Dirty, ground in his mouth, eyes. He was buried in dirt. Yet he did'nt struggle. It was loose around him. like he was digging through, above his head was softer earth. His fist shot upward, punching with more then enough force to send his fist as well as his body followed. Bursting from underneath the soft grass and churned ground as his lungs flared with a large breath. "Why in the unholy @!#$ was I buried?!" He screamed as He shot upright, Ready to punch someone out. Maybe even kill them.

Looking out confused to the dead of night in a graveyard next to a temple.

"I wanted to see if you were really dead Demon." Spoke the familiar raspy voice. The sword sage, sitting behind Satou, atop of the demons gravestone. Which read; "Here lays an angry demon, I don't know if he is dead or living. Please do not disturb."
Kotsurugi was an elderly retired shinobi, a man with a flowing white beard and massive stature. Clothed in weathered robes the old man scoffs. "I thought you had pass from the lack of feeding for several months. A lot has gone on in the world. You stayed in my dojo, cooped up, on doctors notice. Said you were best to stay away from high class missions. You then locked yourself in. So, I let you be." All the while talking the Elderly giant passed around the angry dirt covered demon. Standing before Satou now, holding out a robe for the dirt covered man.

"I had found you cold, lifeless in your room Satou. I know you abstained from seeing that girl, ever since you vowed to serve someone. only entering the world for brief moments. You got to see her, yet, you've missed a bit lad. You should go see her now." Satou yanked the rob from the mans hand and quickly covered himself.

"I'm going out after. Kahako woke me up." Satou did'nt even look back as he headed to the dojo, showered, shaved and looked to a pair of scissors sitting on the sink as he stood in front of a mirror. His hair was long, a bit too long. He made quick work to cut it roughly shoulder length again. "Kahako." He mumbled her name after getting dressed in a nice dark suit and trench coat.

He felt like dressing a bit more warm. He felt, no matter the weather his flesh felt freezing. It was his weakness from abstaining. The thought rolled along in his mind. The thought of flesh on his lips made them tingle, but he quickly remedied the sensation with a well lit cigarette. Following the streets, he wandered about. Wonder what really change, or maybe he changed.

He seemed more nervous around the light, he stayed in the shadows, on the rooftops. Sniffing the air. He smelled her, felt her. Reaching out to her but barely able to. The smell of her blood stiring in his mind led him to a lavished place. Why was she here? In the back of his head, the old mans words "I missed a lot." He touched the gate, looking up to the windows. His throat burned with the smoke of his cigarette. Pushing open the gate. He ventured forward. He needed to see her, he had to see her.

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Time seemed to slip away in this place. How long did she sit there with her arms curled around her knees? Seconds? Minutes? Hours? When Kahako was in this place, it didn’t matter. Here she could meditate and reflect on her life. While she was a mednin in training, this garden helped her meditate. Here she would lose track of time just by trying to understand difficult subjects that were necessary in her field. Even some of the plants grown here were used in Kitsune’s experiments. It was private, and here Kahako could spend her time alone and away from others.

But she didn’t want to be alone. Loneliness on a night like tonight was a poison that would seep into her mind. It would make her doubt the decision she made earlier. Maybe she wasn’t ready for this relationship between her and Ayumu. She hugged her knees a little tighter, remembering her very public display. She was so emotional then, and he had been so caring. It would have been cruel to turn him down. ‘It would be cruel to turn him down now as well.’ She sighed before placing her chin back on her knees and looking at the spread she had before her. The sake rippled in its cup as another night breeze blew by. It also hurt when Kahako thought about breaking it off. She reached out and placed a finger on the surface of the liquid before her. What if he somehow betrayed her? Would she be like her mother and pined for him anyway? What if he died before her? One way or another, Kahako didn’t see her coming out of this unscarred.

A frown marred her face. “Damned if I do, damned if I don’t,” spoke her quiet remark. She picked up her cup and swallowed her sake in one large shot. Immediately, she leaned over the side of the porch and started coughing. “Dear Raiden, it burns! And it’s sweet! Why is it sweet?!” she gasped reaching for the bottle. ‘Sweet plum wine’ read the label at the bottom of the bottle. “Gee… thanks mom,” she said to no one in particular. She sighed before filling up her cup again. The wine was too expensive to throw away, so she would drink as much as she could despite her hatred for sweet things. She downed another shot, curling her toes from the moment the taste touched her tongue until it slid down her throat, leaving a horrid burning sensation and even sweeter aftertaste.

Setting the bottle down and grabbing the closest thing on her plate, Kahako stuffed a bun into her mouth. An audible sigh of relief emitted from her when her taste buds registered the bitter filling in it. She chewed for a good few seconds before setting her cup down, leaning back on her arm and listening to the silence surrounding her. ‘Wait a minute… silence?’

The sounds of the night had quieted suddenly, putting Kahako on alert. It could have been anything really, a fox in the garden, a night owl in one of the trees, but one could never be certain. One thing she did notice with the new silence was that Kitsune’s shishi odshi wasn’t running. When she first moved into the manor, the thing drove her mad. Kahako never understood how tapping could be in any way meditative, but since it wasn’t her house, she just put up with it. Now, however, the garden was way too quiet without it.

Kahako stood from her spot on her porch and walked towards the location of the shishi odoshi. The small lights that guided her path reflected off the pond, creating enough light for her to comfortably see a few feet off the guided path. As she approached the edge, koi of many colors swam up to where they could feel her, hoping for a handout. The willingness of the koi calmed her. The fish would not approach her if they felt like they were in danger. Upon reaching her destination, Kahako noticed that the bamboo had been taken down. It was likely that the keeper of the grounds forgot to put it back after they cleaned the odoshi of algae. Putting it back together again, Kahako ensured that it was fully running before stepping away.

On her way back to her porch, Kahako paused to watch the koi swim near her feet. They would dip into the dark waters before coming up again in a struggle to catch whatever she might toss out. She crouched, looking at them. She started to feel the alcohol take its effect on her. How she would love to be a fish she thought with a blushed smile on her face. An odd sentiment, but to be surrounded by water and lacking the ability to understand love sounded like a good life for the kunoichi right now. The fish darted away. They didn’t understand love, but they did have some form or self-preservation.

Kahako noticed the unnatural movement to her right near the gate a split second after the fish in the pond felt the vibrations. Her natural reaction would be to reach for her kunai, but it lay on the floor next to her bed. Slowly, she stood and turned to the shadow that stood by the gate. She did not hear it click open, so she had no idea how long the person stood there. It took her a few short seconds of tense silence before she realized who she was looking at. Suspicion and apprehension turned to surprised shock when she recognized the tall stature of the man before her. “Satou?” she said quietly, not even daring to move.

Once again, it had been a long time since she’d seen him last. Finally, at the age of twenty, Kahako had fully grown into her once disproportionate body. He would still be taller than her, but she had grown tall for a woman her age. The long sleeved clothing that would normally hide her skin was exposed to the night air as she wore her thin tank top pajamas. The light exposed every scar that scattered her arms. Several bite marks littered one side of her arm, a memory of their battle against the wolves along with the two small pin pricks at her wrist that Satou himself gave her. A particularly large and nasty scar on the other side marred her flesh from bicep to upper shoulder; stretched thin from where her arms grew in length, only slightly younger than the bites from the wolves. Regardless, her body curved where it was supposed to, her life as a shinobi keeping her fit, muscled, and lean. Despite the imperfections, Higa Kahako had grown to be a very pretty woman, though she would never admit so herself.

She gave Satou a kind smile when she realized he wasn’t a figment of her imagination. “Long time, no see, Satou-san,” she said as she let her hands clasp behind her. “Though, I am surprised to see you out so late. For a second, I thought you were an intruder.” She was elated to see him. The alcohol causing her to forget what she was wearing. The point now was that she wasn’t alone. Secretly, she hoped he would stay long enough to keep her company even if it was so late, and stepped closer to him to get a good view of his appearance.

[MFT edited for grammar and floating images]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The moon was so bright, in his eyes it blinded him. The darkness felt so safe, so comforting. Even the light of the moon scorned him. Was not even the night itself a safe place for him? For it? A drawn breath as he past the gates, a footstep in the grass one would hear for but a second, nothing more. A sudden movement in the corner of your eye? That was the demon of course. He would simply be there. Just the whisper of his name roused him from the pure edge of darkness. The very depth of his mind was now but a chasm of horrors for which no mortal eyes should witness.

And as he stood there, in ethereal darkness, in the cloak of his demonic aura he came before the girl he swore with his blood to keep safe. A child when he gave his cursed blood to her, taking hers with a greedy smile and promise of comradeship and servitude. Was it folly? How did he miss such gaps of her age? Why was she so different, and yet. Looking at his own hands, wordless. He did'nt change very much. New cloths, hair, his skin still pale as the snow on the mountains. His eyes dilated till there was nothing left but darkness. His fangs had grown out a bit but hide them behind his lips.

Only small glimpses of them showed when he talked. His breath hung heavily in the air as he moved closer into the light for her to see him. His eyes locked on her but quickly he pulled back from the light as if it harmed his eyes. Bringing his hand up to shield his face from any light source as he etched closer to her. "It, has been awhile." He whispered almost with a graveled voice as though parched for far too long. Drawing closer, his aura of darkness faded away. His suit was a bit lavished and expensive. Much different then his usual odd getup of summer clothing in a mountain village. His hair was neat and cleanly cut, not a tied back mess like before.

His coy smile though, was as devilish as usual. "Maybe I am an intruder? With such a nice place, I come to find my Master's new home. But I feel so out of place, out of time. Or I should say not synchronized." He paused and raised a finger in question. Messaging his eyes a bit from the lights of the home. "How long ago was it. Since we fought the wolves? When I showed you how to skin the hide?" He looked concerned. Pacing a few feet away, yet he was not getting closer to her more then a few feet. His eyes would wander over her. His hands clenching into fists now and then to stop the shaking, folding his arms over his chest. His face stayed a stoic blank look. His lips pressed into a thin frown. He was worried, had the demon taken years from him again?

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
“Oh, trust me. You would be as much of an intruder as I am,” she said, grinning back. “This is the home of my sensei, Shinrya Kitsune. She allowed me to move in sometime after my training as a mednin began. Until recently, I lived in the mansion, but I decided that one of the guest houses would be better for me.” She laughed lightly, “It is a lot warmer for one.” However, her light humor wouldn’t last long as she actually began to notice the small mannerisms Satou displayed.

Yes, in age he had not changed, but only his coy smile seemed similar to her now. His attire made his surface image look the best. She'd never seen him dressed that well. However, Kahako knew as a doctor to never just look at the book’s cover. Had she not been learning about the human mind and behavior, she wouldn’t have picked up on the way he avoided the light nor his shifting as if he tried to keep his hands preoccupied. His symptoms were easy to pick up, and even easier to diagnose.

Simply put, he looked like an addict who missed his last fix by a few months but had been promised it for days. Him crossing his arms, only confirmed her deduction more, and once he asked how long it had been since she’d seen him last?... The smile that once graced her face faded quickly with his inquiry. As it was when they met all those years ago, concern over his well-being blossomed and took control of her actions. Her need to help him was as strong as the contract that tied them both together. “Satou…” she started slowly, dropping her formality with him. Was there even a gentle way of telling a person something they disparately didn’t want to know? The shishi odoshi could be heard clearly in the silence that surrounded them; tapping as if it was counting the seconds before she spoke her dreaded words. “I was fifteen the last time we met. I am twenty now, Satou-san.”

She took a few steps closer to him before pausing, giving him a minute’s rest to process the awful truth. How much memory did he loose? How much time had he lost? How much did he remember? Could he remember? His face read it clearly to her: Not a whole lot and that was bad. She snapped into action immediately, performing the correct seals quickly as she crossed the expanse that was left between them. Chakra glowed from her left hand. “Do not pull away from me Satou.” She said. It was an order, not a request. Before grabbing his hand with her free one, she placed her glowing hand on his temple. He never reacted well to her trying to heal him, and knew the high possibility that he would try to duck her once again. However, now she wasn’t aiming to heal his wounds, but relieve his mind. He may not admit it but he was in a bad mental state, even for him.

The jutsu she used was a powerful and complex sedation technique. Almost immediately, her touch would feel warm, gentle, and soft. His shaking would dull and after a few minutes it would cease. He would feel his mind calm. His ability to think straight was renewed while Kahako slowly moved her fingers across his forehead. It didn’t dull his senses, but instead tranquilized his thoughts and sedated his nerves. Kahako looked into Satou’s eyes. “It isn’t a permanent fix. I’ve tricked your mind and nervous system for the time being to give you some control over your body. It will wear off shortly, but you needed some sort of sedative. You looked like you were going to collapse on me.” She tried to joke calmly, sporting a small smile trough her worry. He would have a few long minutes of calm reprieve before he would return to his crazed state and his shivers. She inspected his pupils while keeping her chakra-controlling hand along his temple. They were still severely dilated, a symptom that her jutsu could not cure. “Dear Raiden-sama…” Kahako trailed off in a whisper as she moved her hand to check the pulse on his wrist and his overall temperature. “When was the last time you ate something, Satou?” Kahako whispered to him worriedly.

In this moment, gone was Kahako’s indecisiveness. She was still young and full of inexperience, but her child-like tendency of inaction disappeared long ago with age. Before him stood Kahako the Medic, not Kahako the Girl listening to his words. Outwardly, he looked as healthy as ever, but she could tell that he was suffering and clawing for control. Hard eyes analyzed every movement he made and tried to deduce what would bring him to such a state. He didn’t seem like one to partake in anything that would make him lose his sense of self… at least she believed he didn’t. No, she knew that he wouldn’t. But these were definitely symptoms of withdrawal…

“Satou,” Kahako spoke seriously, her tone leaving no room to accept lies or push off the topic she knew so little about. He would not avoid her this time. This time she demanded an honest answer from him. “When was the last time you fed?” Her hard, ‘doctor’ eyes never left the pinpricks that stared back at her.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Everything was white noise till he heard the words “I was fifteen the last time we met. I am twenty now, Satou-san.” It almost crippled him where he stood. He slept, dead as the corpses in the graveyard where he was buried. For five years. His hands shook more for a moment, not out of the withdraws, but out of sheer anger. The air shimmered with a blackened tint as his aura flexed outward. Kahako felt the gut churning aura hit her. Like a bad stomach ache telling you to leave. It was weak, not like before where people could feel death walk by when he approached. He was fading thin too, he knew it as did she. And when she approached him.

Satou was still reeling mentally.

Five years, you put me to sleep for five @#$!ing years you son of a @!#$% !!
You're the one who said 'Well I ain't gonna feed on humans anymore! I'll just eat rats filled with diseases and slowly kill myself!'
I did it to protect the people of this village! I did it to protect her! I know you used me to get to her. I will not let you do to her the same as me!
Oh shut up, you're not even paying attention to her now. Look.

Satou snapped out of his mental talk with his other half to find Kahako standing before him. Her fingers felt so soothing across his forehead. A sort of euphoric feeling. But ultimately a muscle relaxant in jutsu form. Satou's grin came back for a moment. "Better then any pharmaceutical. You'll have to teach me that trick." He held her hand to his cheek. Her warmth, he wanted to hold it to her just a little longer. His skin felt as smooth as marble, hard as stone. Cold as the dead corpses in the morgue.

"I slept for five years kahako.I did not even wake a single day.I only remember the night of the wolfs. After that, everything is dark." He felt so horrible for not being there for her. How many hardships did she endure. His legs were eased but they were still weak after the run from the dojo to here. Before her, he did'nt mind the thought of collapsing into her arms. She was beautiful. Her eyes were so calming to him. He couldn't help but get lost in them, as though trying to remember another face that brought only joy to him.

His eyes looked to the markings on her arm. A tight pull in his chest, tension through his entire body. His veins started to constrict up his neck, his jaw tightened as his fangs grew out more. It was more difficult to talk without showing them now. "So long, so very long." His eyes looked out of focus, as if entranced by the thought of feeding, the smell of her flesh so close to him. Blood, sweet delicious red nectar, the thought was so enticing, his eyes glowed a soft amber red. "Kahako, do you hate what I am?What I crave for nourishment?After all I've done to you, I've failed you. I stopped feeding, I tried to not drink from humans. But losing time like that, I don't know If I can change.It has to be from humans, I don't know why. But animal blood makes me sick, it weakened me to this point. To this horrible state." He spoke softly to her. His eyes closed, his hand had let hers return to her side as he pulled slowly back. Fearing he'd jump onto her and latch on. The thought sent shivers through him.

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
If he believed his aura daunted her, then he was sorely mistaken. She felt the fear that he instilled upon those around him, that much was certain, but Kahako learned something important from their time with the wolves. Fear and danger were two different entities; two different dancers gliding along the same waltz. She had learned this from the man before her: Easily the two could conjoin; spinning, twisting, and dipping through one’s mind. However, the two were capable of dancing alone. One could train themself to watch only one dancer, and it was completely up to her on whether the two would dance together. Satou taught her that it was the dangerous dancer she should keep her eyes on, not the fear-inducing one.

Was Satou fearful? A resounding ‘yes’ filled her being. But was he dangerous? No, not to her and not right now.

So when his aura slipped over her, when the synapses in her brain told her to leave, she simply ignored it. She had more important company to entertain than fear, and that was Satou’s health. She didn’t expect him to hold her hand to his face while her jutsu worked. The freezing temperature only worried her more. He had always been cold, but never this cold. The transformation of his face at the mentioning of feeding warned her that she was dealing with a starving man. “Five years?” she said breathlessly. “No wonder you can’t remember. It’s amazing that you are even still alive.”

She watched his eyes tinged red as they shifted to her skin. A chill ran down her back once more as she remembered that she was also part of his balanced breakfast. But she also remembered that she made that decision willingly, and so once again ignored the fear rising and the chills down her spine.

When he asked if she hated what he was, surprise painted her face clearly. The feeling of hurt colored the rest of her expression. How could she hate him? How could he think that she hated him? Even as a child, she was not a fool. She saw his struggle, his attempt to control himself. She remembered how he spoke of the mother he never met, remembered when he begged her not to make him feed from her on their first night together. He was born this way. This was who he was. His only choice to be completely free from it was for him to die. But every living creature wanted to live.

Her heart sunk when he admitted to her that he had stopped feeding from humans even before the last time that they met. For years he struggled with this, and now he was admitting that it was all for naught. He wanted to live and feeding upon the living was the only way to do it. He had failed, but despite what he said, he didn’t fail her. “I did not ask, nor tell you to not feed on humans, Satou,” she chipped, slightly offended, though he wouldn't understand why at first. “I asked for your help; for you to protect me when I cannot protect myself. In exchange for my blood all I asked of you was to protect and teach me. You did not fail me.”

Even after he pulled away from her, the charka in her left hand glowed. He would still feel the tranquilizing effects work on his body. If she tried hard enough, she could maintain healing chakra from a distance. Another lesson she learned while training to become a mednin. It only took a little more concentration for her to maintain. Her hand dimmed slightly and the feeling wavered before going steady again. This was the first time she actually practiced it on a living, moving being. She would not let him feel as he did minutes before. He was fighting against so much that she would be damned if she let him suffer more. But her jutsu would not last much longer.

“What is better,” she asked, her voice softer now, “to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?” Simply put, she could not hate him because he was trying. The man that was Ketsueki Satou was trying to do the right thing. He was fighting the indulgences that the demon that was also Ketsueki Satou wanted. That was the reason why Kahako couldn’t hate what he had to do in order to survive.

She was silent for a few minutes to let him think or comment on her words before continuing. “I understood what you were when I was thirteen, you taught me the truth of fear and protected me from the alpha wolf when I was fifteen. Now, your presence still fills me with fear, but I am not afraid of you… even if you are.” She lifted her right hand into the darkness that he kept trying to shrink back into, offering him to take it. “If you go too far, the jutsu I am using can just as easily freeze every nerve in your body as it can relax them,” she warned. She highly doubted she could fully stop him, but it would be enough for her to get away. It was more of a reassurance for him either way. He needed sustenance, and she wasn’t sure if he would able to control himself without her jutsu with as starved as he was. “I do not hate you for what you are, Ketsueki Satou. And, as long as you truly try to protect me, I never will.”

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Was he alive? He almost laughed as he tried to check his pulse. He could'nt really tell. His fingers were starting to go numb, as well his legs. His feet felt nonexistent at this point. Moving would be a downright chore as he tried to get closer to her, his legs trembled slightly. "Running here wasn't a good idea." He mumbled, trying to find anything other then Kahako to lean on.

"The reason why I stopped, was for you to be safe. After I drank from you, the very first time. I craved it more and more." The aura of darkness was slowly covering the area, the silence was deafening, only the small contraption with its rhythmic noise could be heard beside his voice. "Drinking the blood of other people, it did not sate me anymore. I went through all the streets at night, draining prostitutes, muggers, thugs, druggies. And when that did'nt satisfy me I turned to cats,dogs, birds and rodents! I ate wild creatures and yet I was still hungry." He breathed heavily after his rant of a list. "I'd drink and drink. Yet I was never full."

Her hand outstretched to him, he wanted to take it. His hand held hers so gently, as though he was afraid to break her. pulling her gently to him as he held his arms around her shoulders, hugging tightly. "I'm sorry I stayed away from you for so long. But this promise will not be broken. I am yours Kahako, your servant, your guard, I will be your sword and shield. Command me to destroy, my Master. I am..." He let her go from the embrace to kneel before her. One arm rested on his knee while the other a fist to the ground as a sign of obedience to her and honoring the pact he made to her. His eyes burned a soft golden hue now, he mostly knelt to respect her, but also to give his legs a break.

Everything was blurring in and out, the shrill laughter in the back of his mind rang a painful headache. Feed me. It whispered to him, his throat burned like he ate a well lit cigarette. Coughing and gasping lightly for air. Veins constricting in his throat as his jawline clenched tight. In the curling growl from his throat, the smell of her was flaring in his nostrils. His fangs dug deep into his lips. No.

It was slow at first, but the nails grew back to normal length, the fangs were painfully sliding back. The burning in his eyes faded out like a dieing flame to leave but charred ember color. It was still there, but he still had some control left. He was not in the mood to lose composure in front of her like this. "I am Ketsueki Satou, What is your wish my Master." He whispered in a low winded voice.

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
At first, she wondered if he would shrink away from her. Did he doubt his self-restraint? Did he doubt her strength? Would she force what he didn’t want upon him? Clasping her hand was like dragging her out of her current spirals of worry. And then… he just held her. She was stunned. It was the second time that day that she encountered a human embrace. It was such a foreign action to her.

If one looked upon them now, maybe they would see two lovers embracing in the moonlight. But this hug was very different from the one Ayumu gave her. Ayumu’s hug was warm and protecting. It invited her in and made her truly at ease. Satou’s embrace was strong, but it wasn’t warm. It blocked her from the wind and cloaked her bare arms, but that was all the warmth she could feel from it. Yet still, this hug felt protecting in its own way, and thus it felt comfortable.

She listened in silence for a second, still stunned by the contact between them as he spoke in her ear. He was reiterating their pact. He promised again to serve her and he asked her to wield him. She expected that this would be the point where he would drink from her. She closed her eyes, prepared to pay for her toll. But instead she felt him pull away. He kneeled before her in respect, but as the coughing fit reached her ears, she realized that there might have been other reasons for his bow. The growl is what stopped her from falling to her knees to see if he was fading in and out. She watched silently as he slowly reigned in his appearance, assuming he was fighting for control with the demon. “Satou.” She called out softly as he morphed back into a more normal state. Finally, Satou spoke, letting her know that it was he who was in control. The demon lost the battle for now.

But that display did little to put Kahako at ease. Sure, she was very relieved that he didn’t pass out on her, and happy that he was once again in control. But that was masked currently by the frustration and anger that was piling up inside her. Once again he avoided what she offered. He just admitted that nothing would help him but her blood, and yet when she gave him the opportunity to take it, he didn’t. Re-watching what happened in her head over again only angered her more. Kahako didn’t accept charity. She firmly believed that gifts were only to be given in appreciation for a task completed. To her, equivalent exchange was what guided her though life and her decisions. Their relationship might be that of Master and Servant, but their contract… their promise was on equal terms. Kahako wanted to respect it.

She was silent for a long time. Not speaking until Satou lifted his head, probably wondering why she wasn’t saying anything. The look that she was giving him would be comical to anyone who knew the true power of the demon. She looked at him as if a mother would look at a child who recent broke something important. A frown marred her face, her arms were crossed, and, if she was the type of person to do so, her foot would have been tapping. She was trying to control herself, but handling her own emotions was not one of Kahako’s strong suits.

“What use do I have for a dull blade and a battered shield?” she accidently clipped out, being harsher than she intended. Guilt covered her face just as she ended the sentence. “Ah—I’m sorry…” she immediately apologized. Satou was being honest, and trying to apologize. All she did was throw it back in his face. She started again with a calmer tone. “I don’t only need your service, Satou-kun, but also your strength. I… I can’t accept being your master without giving what is owed. I can’t…” she looked away, biting her lip while her arms dropped. The glow of the chakra in her hand created different shadows along her face. Pain filled her eyes as she admitted to true reason behind her frustration and anger. “I can’t bear to watch you suffering and weak. I want you to be happy and strong while you serve me. I want you to be able to do so without wondering when your legs will give out on you.” She looked back to his eyes, letting him know that she knew the reason he bowed wasn’t just out of respect. “Please, Satou-kun… feed from me and I will call upon you. This was my promise, and I don’t want it to be broken either.” This time, she would not let him avoid it. Not this time.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The swelling grew, a wave of heat rushed through him as a chilling sensation ran clear up his spine. His smile was soft as he felt his composure milt away. His fangs slid out, his eyes became a full red flare with that coy smile of his. Legs shaking, pushing his body off the ground with a bit of needed help, his gaunt hands grabbing at her forearms to pull himself up. standing before her again. "Its ok, Kahako-chan, my Master." He spoke in a soft soothing manner. Cold sweat beating off his forehead. He did'nt mind her scalding, it was almost adorable to him.

As he used a free hand to reach up, taking her cheek gently in his palm, fingers trailing his long dagger like nails gently across the skin down to her throat, thumb gently turning pushing her head back gently and to her left. Giving her a second to compose herself. "I'll try not to-" Cutting between talking to swallow and try not to take sharp breaths, his eyes focus on a throbbing vein in her neck. Seconds without warning his embrace was around her once more. One arm tightly round her waist, his hard body pressed against her smaller frame.

The other hand no longer round her neck but roughly behind her head gripping a handful of hair. holding her head back, having her stare up into the dark sky filled with stars alight. His breathing was ragged, he was on the point of breaking. Falling deep into the lull trance of the demons thirst, lips pressing to that pulsating vein, a slick heated tongue to wet the spot, a breath caught in his throat when he finished. "-take too much, stop me when you're at the limit. I won't sate myself five years in this night." He breathed heavily, preparing himself. Speaking softly into her ear. "Try not to tense up-" He spoke before two, inch long fangs punctured her neck. His mouth clasped over the wound as his fangs pulled back to let the warm red trickle down her back. Staining her cloths, his nails also dug down and dragged claw marks through her shirt.

As he latched on, the pain wasn't sever. More like getting two needles taken at the same time. It was a numbing pain. The sound around them was silent. Being so close through the dulling pain that throbbed with each pull. A loud gulp from Satou came from his throat along with a low groan, he was in utter ecstasy. Like water to a parched mans throat after traversing a desert. As he drank his grip on her lightened, allowing her to move more freely. Lost in his feeding, he seemed so frail and softened, his skin warmed, his muscle melted away to relax in her frail frame as he leaned into her. Color was returning to his pale snow like flesh.

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
After she helped him up, she would allow him to touch her. She felt the sharpness of his nails and the soft push and complied. She felt very uncomfortable with this level of gentleness, but said nothing in return. She agreed to this, and this was what she wanted. She heard him pause in his sentence, trying to compose himself. Still she remained silent, allowing him his moment of reprieve.

When he abruptly closed the distance between them, a form of panic rushed through her. Suddenly she became very self-conscious of what she was wearing and his closeness. The tug that he gave to her head didn’t hurt much, but the surprise was clearly there. When he spoke to her, she felt herself blush brightly with only a soft, wavering ‘un’ coming from her lips. She wanted to squeak in protest when his lips first touched her skin. She didn’t expect this to be so… intimate. Yet she kept quiet out of sheer willpower, neither encouraging nor pushing him away.

Soon she began to stare calmly at the unusually clear night above them and prepared. At the initial puncture, she had to force her heartbeat from rising; taking deep, slow breaths while Satou held onto her. When the gut reaction to tense was under control, she began monitoring her pulse. It wouldn't be long before she would have to make him stop. The regret for the two cups of sake weighed heavily in her mind. They would be even more potent to her system, never mind the fact that it was her first time partaking. And when he was done, she would be very light-headed and limited to what she could take to alleviate the feeling.

While she stood there counting, she could feel the blood rush from her neck. It was an odd and slightly painful feeling. It also unnerved her, despite her efforts to ignore it. She forced herself to think about anything else. She would never regret this decision she made. She accepted Satou for what he was, and she would stand by that decision despite what her body told her was unnatural.

Soon, her chakra flickered; the jutsu in her hand beginning to die out. “That is enough Satou-kun,” Kahako called to him softly. She placed a hand between the both of them and pushed. If he did not separate from her when she called to him, then she would put a little more force into her fading jutsu. He would feel his mind begin to cloud and his muscles start to seize. It would continue to grow until he let her go, pushing a second time. Either way, a few uncoordinated steps backwards left Kahako looking very tired and slightly confused.

She pushed herself a little too far it seemed. Between maintaining the jutsu, the loss of blood, and the strong alcohol in her system, Kahako senses were swimming. With a confused frown, Kahako struggled through a few short handseals before a light green chakra filled her hand. Slowly she placed it up to her bleeding neck, trying to coerce the wounds to close before she became too tired to care. “I guess the alcohol I drank before you arrived did more to me than I realized.” She said quietly while trying to smile. It was a shallow joke at best. She had to stay strong so he wouldn’t worry too much. But oh how she wanted to lie down right now. “I think need some orange juice.” She said quieter this time. “and maybe something sweet… and… to sit down…” she trailed off before her legs gave out on her due to the dizziness. The chakra in her hand disappeared, leaving his bite mark no longer bleeding, but not fully healed either.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The shivering had stopped, his body was solid Holding onto Kahako firmly. He seemed more relax. His eyes still held that supernatural glow to them but they came off as warming. Soothed in some way. As she commanded, he halted his feeding. Drawing back into reality again from the unnatural ecstasy of drinking, the soft trickle of red down his lips was quickly wiped away by his tongue. "Thanks for the meal Master." He grinned His fangs sliding back to short sharp canines. A sharp bone cracking sound from his jaw. "It ALWAYS hurts!" He groaned when messaging his jaw. His eyes looking to her, weary and stumbling. "Must of been good stuff, mind sharing?" He held out a hand to her, holding her arm gently to stabilize her and to hold her upright encase she tumbled. His eyes looking to his bite mark on her neck.

His free hand raised, fingers gently running over the bite mark. "I'm sorry I chose here, it might end up scarring." His smile faded away, a bit disappointed in himself. He was close enough to take her into his arms once more. "Want me to carry you?" He openly spoke as though devoted to her, even her slightest whims he'd fulfill. He appeared more like a servant now, his posture was straitened and professional, his face was lazed, calm, his voice welcoming instead of once strained. "We can hit up the corner store-" Then looks upward at the night sky. "Wait. Never mind I don't know if any stores are open this late in the night." He honestly forgotten the city itself, it all seemed such a blur to him. Now the highest urge was to explore the town, it has been five years. How much has this village,its people and events in these lands change?

In the back of his head he was intrigued by this deep thought. He sighed deeply. "I'm craving some Pie from that Cafe you work for, or maybe you don't work for anymore." He feared treading on a touchy subject. Taking Kahako and looking around to guide her to a place to sit. "Five years, I wonder how much I've lost. How much I'm going to be apologizing for leave of absence." He chuckled, a hand free rustling through his hair. "The Boss is going to skin me. Might be a good idea to do some Missions." Looking down at the slightly buzzed out konoichi. "But first, to deal with you, and a horrible sweet tooth."

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Again, their closeness cause Kahako to be self-conscious once more, but she was in no state to make it back to her porch without making a complete fool of herself. “Ah, please, but just to my patio. I am not quite ready to go inside just yet.” She glanced down at her shoulder. Of course the bite was not within eyesight, but the sting was still there. “I guess it is to be expected,” she looked back up to him again, “After all, the first mark faded, but it never fully disappeared.”

As he lifted her, she couldn’t help but feel a little embarrassed. The close embrace from before, his moan reverberating against her skin… it was a sensation she had never felt before and she wasn’t sure how to take it. She didn’t feel anything outside of comradeship towards Satou, but that type of human contact… it was sensual... and foreign. Kahako mentally shook her head. She was too inebriated to think on it at length. “Most everything is closed,” she said softly as he walked towards her patio. “But I keep my pantry and fridge decently stocked… in case I have guests.” Kahako had to chuckle a little. She never had guests because she never invited them over nor truly let them in.

His mentioning of her aunt’s restaurant brought its own little emotional sting. “I haven’t worked there… in a very long time…” she trailed off. “Ever since I started my training in medicine, I believe. It was shortly after our last meeting together and when I moved here.” She laughed a little when he called out her sweet tooth. “I actually hate sweets. However, my blood glucose level has dropped significantly.” She leaned against his chest, the lightheadedness getting to her, but the medical nerd inside her shining through, “hence the dizziness. The fastest way to replace the vitamins and sugar is literally fluids and cookies. I might have a box in my pantry. Hopefully it’s not too old…”

She slid from his arms when they did reach the little station of snacks and sake she left behind earlier. Grabbing a cracker, she immediately sat down and leaned against one of the wooden posts. “Can you get me some orange juice? There are cups in the cupboard and a jug in the fridge. Grab a sake glass as well. I don’t want any more of what is here, you can have the rest. You are also welcome to whatever food I have inside and out here.” she said nodding to the large bottle and tray next to her. As he stepped inside, she would begin munching on the cracker while looking out to the garden.

Her mind began to wander again while she waited for him. What had she just done? What did she just allow? Why did she have this… completely uncomfortable feeling? As she took another nibble of the food, she started to ponder. It wasn’t the decision she made that left her uncomfortable, nor the loss of blood experienced. It was the shared intimacy that filled her with…. what… guilt? ‘Why guilt?’ She took another nibble of her cracker… confusion spreading across her face, her mind slowly turning over the finally defined emotion. Trying to place why it was there. Trying to find out why she felt that way.

Suddenly, as if a slap came across her face, she pictured the kiss she shared with Ayumu earlier that same day. Her eyes widened as she sat up in realized mortification. What if Ayumu had been here tonight? What if he witnessed what just happened? There was no way he would understand, and no way for her to accurately explain why this was logical to her.

She turned, dragging her feet up to the wooden floor and crossing her legs. From here she could see Satou’s back while he poured her glass of juice. The easy decision to make would be to cast away one of them from her life. Satou probably would have no issue with Ayumu, but it was likely Ayumu would have plenty against the demon. But Satou had been a part of her life longer. His presence, however limited, throughout her time here in Kumogakure molded her into who she was today. She couldn’t throw a bond like that away, not even for the man she claimed to love.

But what if she left Ayumu? Again, a small voice chimed in her head, raging ‘no’ while pictures of her dream flashed through her head for the third time that evening. Actual pain shot through her chest, surprising her so much that she instinctually placed a hand over her heart. ‘Maybe I already betrayed him…’ she thought, sorrow filling her. It would be too painful for her to break ties with him as well.

Kahako couldn’t let either of them go, she realized. Satou was her guardian and Ayumu her lover. She loved them both just not in the same way. Call her selfish, but Kahako wanted them both in her life, and would never be able to give up one for the other.

She caught a yellowish-orange color out of the corner of her eye. Looking up, she noticed the glass of orange juice being held out in front of her face. “Oh, sorry... Thank you,” she said while taking the glass from his hands and the box of cookies. If he said anything to her before she took the glass, she would have missed it. For now, she would put her current thoughts on hold, and would spend time trying to catch him up to what he missed.

Taking a sip, she watched while he settled beside her with whatever food he grabbed from her fridge and pantry. When his glass was filled with alcohol, she spoke up, commenting on something he mentioned earlier. “Quite a bit has happened to the main branch. I am not aware of most of it, however. You should speak to the Sennin when you first get the opportunity. Masao-sama is probably wondering what happened to you.” She took another sip of her drink. “Though… if he doesn’t have immediate work for you, I need help with a task Kushin-sama gave me… hold on.” Setting her glass down, she stood slowly before walking into her room.

It didn’t take her long to come back, holding a thin black folder and giving it to him. “Here. In here is pretty much the details regarding the mission.” She said waiting for him to open it. Inside he would find almost the same pieces of paper she gave to Kushin a few days prior: a four-year-old mission report, a picture, and a warrant to search the Inuzuka camp. “A few years ago while on a mission to find a little girl lost in the woods, I was attacked by that creature. Fortunately, I got away with only a nasty scar,” she motioned to the large bite that encompassed a large portion of her arm and shoulder. Then, looking back at Satou, worry displayed across her face. “Kushin-sama did inform me that research had been done to create such a creature, but the research division had no knowledge on one being created much less escaping into the village. What bothers me more,” she said frown growing on her face, “Is that I couldn’t have access to my own mission report after I submitted it. Not until I became a mednin years later, and was privy to more classified information.” She looked to Satou, knowing that she could trust him if no one else. “Call me paranoid, but I can’t shake the feeling that someone was hoping I would forget about the attack by locking it behind security protocol. Not too high that it would seem suspicious, but high enough that the person involved couldn’t look into it further. I don’t even think anybody was told to follow up on the creature.”

Finally, she was able to voice her worries. She did not stress this to Kushin because, despite his title, he wasn’t someone that could be easily trusted. They were all trained liars in Kumogakure. What if someone Kushin trusted was involved and he informed them? No, only a select few would know of her worries, at least, until she found the proof that would go with it. “My next step is to see if the Inuzuka clan is involved. Though this isn't being done on humans, this is Kinjutsu that hasn't been approved by Kumo's medical branch. I need someone to help me search the Inuzuka camp. Someone I know I can trust, and is capable of evading the Inuzuka’s heightened senses while I am speaking to the clan leader.” She looked down at her feet, trying to recall if she told him everything. The orange juice was helping, but she was still a little dizzy and her mind confused. Slipping her hand into the cookie box, she pulled a small morsel out and stuffed it into her mouth, trying to eat it as quickly as possible before the taste settled along her teeth. Her face scrunched up in disgust while she chewed, her toes once again curling as her stomach immediately wanted her to eject it. The rest of the juice would be gone once she swallowed the cursed sweet.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
He brought her to the patio, sitting her gently down next to her set up. His face seemed tight lipped, thinking heavily on how he drank from her. I'll have to find easier solutions to this. He listened and replied in honest. "I'm kinda hungry myself. Mind?" He motioned to gather something for himself. Seeing her eat made his stomach grumble heavily. He couldn't help but laugh at the strange feeling of hunger for real food. She was so knowledgeable, it somewhat took him a back. Remembering the small framed girl, innocent of the world.

"You've grown up." He grinned. Nodding to her request he left to fetch her a glass of juice and cookies. As he grabbed the carton and poured a glass, searched only a few moments to find the box of cookies. Testing one himself, they were still fine to his palette. The sound of heavy crunching and munching. Glances over his shoulder. Putting the box of cookies by the glass, hiding it from view. He decided a simple sandwich would be nice.

Grabbing himself a sake glass and the ingredients for his sandwich, prepping it rather quickly it came down to slathering some spread to finish. With knife in hand, there was a moment of pause, in his head the whispers rushed forward like a loud snarling command. His breathing became a bit more heavier, a sigh to catch his breath as he stop the hand which held the knife from stabbing his free hand. Feed her!

His free hand force over her drink, again he had to stop his body from betraying him. Dropping the knife and pulling his hand back to his side. A few seconds to collect himself. Gathered the knife off the floor and threw it into the sink, with a bit more force then merited. I will not turn her into a monster like me. He mentally repeated these words a thousand times as he slapped the sandwich together dry, grabbed her drink and cookies and headed back to her.

Finding her trailed off in her mind, only to disrupt her thinking by holding the juice in front of her, sitting the box of cookie by her side. Sitting himself down right beside her with his simple meat and veggie sandwich. Some of it looked close to experiencing but he could care less. He was too starved to care. And the sake helped burn his pallet so not much could be tasted. As he sat and ate, Kahako produced a portfolio. He took it in a gingerly manner, sitting it open in front of him while he ate and drank.

The immediate thought of work was interesting, especially when he held up the picture of the creature that attacked Kahako. "I'm sorry." He whispered, knowing now what she faced alone wounded him. "I should have been there." His eyes burned a charcoal red. He listened to her with great detail and how things had progressed thus far. "And I'm to come in, and sneak about a camp filled with dogs who are trained for tracking and detecting. I will also add being a demon does'nt help me around animals. Its like they can feel me coming, they'll begin to freak out soon as I approach. I'm sorry Master, but I am not one for stealthy approach, if you want me to try I'll make some sort of back up plan. It'll probably involved lots of punching and kicking." He chuckled while going about another round of food and drink.

"I'm sorry, this is probably very serious for you. I will do what I can to help you Kohako-chan." He smiled and patted her on the shoulder. "I believe you'll do great on this assignment, and we will get to the bottom of this." He turned his attention back to the picture of the creature. Deep down, he felt something stirring. Maybe excitement, something that was dangerous to throw himself at. Call it a guilty pleasure.

His third drink was a bit too large as he felt the burning sensation grow, his eyes felt slightly glassed and his body relaxed from its straitened posture. gazing out at the beautiful night sky, melancholy memories dared to invade him. But the alcohol clouded it enough to just be wistful murmurs. His face looked dazed or in a trance of his thoughts. "Five years." He whispered while taking another cup full.

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
She frowned, off put by her own lack or realization at Satou's skills and the flavor of chocolate. “Hmm… I didn’t think about that…” she said between crunches. A small noise of disgust emitted from her throat as she swallowed, and she immediately downed half of her juice. “I can’t do it. Here,” she passed the box off to him, “I just… I can’t…eat them, please.” No matter how much she needed the sugar, one was her limit. Another would just make her ill.

She finished the rest of her drink before addressing his apology. “It wasn’t something I expected to happen, Satou-kun, a simple search and rescue if anything.” She turned to sit side by side to her companion. “Regardless, I’ll need back up. I don’t know what to expect.” She grinned a little, “I guess we could come into camp with punches blazing. Maybe make a big enough ruckus to get someone important’s attention?” Laughing at her own joke, she tipped over to the side, her head hitting his arm as her body slumped.

Thinking was too difficult now. It had been a blessing that she finished her OJ, because the cup had tipped in her hands along with her and was now dangerously cradled in her fingers. The buzz going through her body was unlike anything she ever experienced. Alcohol, mixed with a lesser amount of blood was dangerous, but strangely euphoric. Now she knew what people meant when they said the alcohol took the edge off. A tiny smile flittered on her face as she stared out to the pond in front of them. Her eyes were glossy, completing a serene look about her in the midnight glow. Such trust she put in the man next to her, but she was glad he responded when she called out to him.

His face looked dazed or in a trance of his thoughts. "Five years." He whispered while taking another cup full.

“Yeah…” A lengthy pause, “Satou… Did you want to be woken up?” she asked, noting his distraction. Thoughts that came to head now would lack a filter. Trust and drunkenness would be a dangerous combination. Tonight… she would take solace in his presence and worried a little that maybe he might not have wanted hers in return. “Thank you for coming when I called,” she responded, not moving to look up at him. It was a soft, appreciative sentence. Maybe this was why she trusted him when so many were afraid. If anything, she knew he would always come when she called. Always. Not even Ayumu could make such a claim.

“I… started a relationship today… if that’s what you could call it,” she blurted out. Her fingers shifted in nervousness. Even with all her intelligence and training, she was still a young woman innocent to the ways of an actual relationship. Of how her actions could affect the men around her. “He is kind and funny and capable in the field... but…” she hesitated. “I don’t want to be a fool, Satou. The lives we live are short and merciless. It would be easier for me to keep him at a distance, but I don’t want to.” She took her hand to comb it through her hair, tussling it in frustration in the process. Then she propped her chin on her palm and leaned away to look at him, the dark strands staying just laced through her fingers. “I didn’t mean to call out to you… I just…” She tilted her head and looked down at the ground, keeping her chin propped. “I am confused and… I didn’t want to be alone with my own uncertainties.”

She sighed greatly, rubbing her hued face angrily before laying back onto the wood with her arms above her head. “I sound like a walking romance novel.” There was a lace of humor with a trace of irritation in her voice. “A potentially dangerous assignment in the works, and I can’t sleep because of drama.”

Yen
ASP
Deaths
He laughed as he took the box and set it aside. "To each their own." He couldn't help but laugh a bit. The faces she was making were adorable and brought a sense of something back to his mind. He looked to the moon hanging in the sky. "My wife did'nt enjoy sweets." He mumbled under his breath, as if it just came back.

He turned his attention back to her, a devils grin on his lips as his fangs showed. "I can make quite the distraction." He chuckled, relieving the tension in his mind. There images flooding into his brain, years of memories were coming back. A bit too fast. If she paid attention closely Kahako would notice a twitch in his eyes. He immediately took the whole bottle and began to chug it till it was empty, his sandwich was done. The burning in his stomach as the alcohol couldn't process properly with his bodies particular feeding habits. "If need be I could cause quite the stir. I'm good at being big and loud." He chuckled.

His mind though was slowly numbing, that hazy cloud washing over him. He felt relief, the empty bottle set aside, his sanguine eyes glowed a soothing red. His hot breath leaving a trail in the air. His body numbed to everything, he was drunk. Five years sober, god did he ever miss this feeling. Laying on his side, his head laying on the bicep while his fingers played with his black locks. His eyes looking out to the scenery, the pond water reflecting the moons light was dampened by the lamps. the vision began to blur slightly. His eyes closed to enjoy the moment.

Kahako's voice kept him awake, her breathing, her movements ever so slightly kept him from losing consciousness in the drunken stupor. His voice was low but clear for her to hear him. "I don't know. All I could remember, was being stuck in my own mind. For how long-" A heavy sigh escaped him. "It felt like an eternity. Drifting in a cold nothingness. You have no control of where the mind wanders. Different parts of my mind had always been clouded. But after drifting in there for a couple years. I got that much closer to the beast then before. But if I did'nt leave, If I stayed asleep. It would have won, and then I fear for this village if that ever came to fruition." His other free hand scratched the back of his neck. He felt a sort of heat, as if his body had to adjust getting this intoxicated and warm.

"I thank you for waking me, Kahako-chan. And will do my utmost urgency to come aid you when you call for me. Even if I end up with a really bad hangover tomorrow!" He chuckled even harder this time, coughing a bit and collecting himself. Everything felt heavy and sluggish, a horrid burn in his stomach was churning, but coming up. It wasn't the alcohol, it was a different kind of burn. A neglected heat for over five years. It was a constant reminder, soon his throat would parch again. And no water, juice or wine would sate this dry dusted feeling in his mouth.

Drunk and hungry for blood, awesome combo! His sighed and nestled his face to hide it. He could smell it, other creatures nearby. A rabbit wasn't too far away. He could move for it. A quick lunge and snap its neck with a single finger. Drain it in seconds, then what? Just thirst for more? When would it end? With her? With her death in his arms?

Stop.

He raised his head and spoke softly to her, his eyes did'nt open. "I'm happy you found someone to love, Cherish it Kahako-chan. Don't be afraid to love someone. Love is a part of humanity and should be cautious of but don't avert from it. Protect it, and enjoy every moment you have with the person you love."When his eyes opened. He couldn't see what was in front of him. Instead blurred to a scene, a meadow of lovely flowers, a women with flowing hair, bright rose red. In a white dress, dancing amongst the flower patches.

"I don't mind if you need me to talk to you once in awhile. It's my service to protect you, but I'm also a friend you can gossip with." He couldn't help but smile as he laid there in a daze. The warm rush was hitting his face, his throat was numb and parched again. He tried to get up, his movements sluggish as he tried using one of the posts to prop himself up.

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
She looked down at him from her position. All she could see what the back of his head, but his advice shook her all the same. ‘That’s right’ she remembered. He has loved once. This man and monster before her had a wife and child… once. She looked back up to the wooden boards above her head. He would go through all of the pain again in order to go through all of the happiness. In this, she found her strength. “Thank you…” she said softly as she closed her eyes.

As he propped himself up, she worried for a moment that he might be getting ready to leave. Immediately she sat up and grabbed for the corner of his coat. Her eyes crossed, and she had to shake her head in order to refocus. But once she did, an odd feeling overcame her. Nostalgia. It rushed through her body like a cool splash of water, sobering her. It took a second longer for her to realize that five years ago she did the exact same thing. Then, she held on in order to comfort him. To let him know that he wasn’t alone with this beast anymore. But what could she do?

Still she remained unaware of the dangerous thoughts that ran through Satou’s mind, but his words about getting close to the beast worried her. Made her think. “How much control to do I truly have over the beast Satou? Would I be able to stop you if it ever comes to… that?” After a pause, she let go of his clothing. The memory faded as the fabric fell back into place. “There are those that will not give you a chance like I have if they believe you will be a danger. There are those who will not give you a chance now even. I am no fool to that.”

[mft]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Worlds spinning, his vision blurred from reality to that horrible nightmare of his mind. "You don't control it, I can barely control it. But I'm growing stronger from it. Letting it eat me alive so that maybe, I can devour it." His grin twisted, the blackened mist around him flowed along the hardwood floor. His eyes burned ever brighter. pupils slit. Eyes of a predator, a hungering animal. "You control me, you command me." Her hand let go but his reached out only to pull back as he leaned against the wooden pillar. "If I lose to it, You will have to kill me." He smiled to her, almost boyishly so. "Though I promise to you, I won't let it happen." He walked down from the patio to the walkway a few steps, breathing in the fresh air deeply. His hot breath wafting into the night sky.

"Let them hate me, let them fear me. So that maybe, if it ever does decide to devour the world. There will be those who can kill without a second thought." He spoke so calmly, even about his own demise. He knew the risks and outcomes. Some he wished could never come about. But if he did lose the next bout, the bell will ring. And the curtain call will sound. This world will see something terrifying, a horror in the darkness which whispers evil into this realm.

"I once thought of separating myself from the beast inside me. I had searched for that answer, and it all seemed to end up with me dieing and someone else getting the beast shoved into them. And I won't have that, no. No one deserves my fate. No evil in this world deserves this. So my only option. Might be to become the very thing I resent." He turned to her, she could see the sky black out behind Satou. "I'm going to face it soon Kahako, after being asleep for so long. I need its power now more then ever, the world has changed around me. I feel out of place, out of time even. I grew restless of its torment, I want to conquer it as it wishes to destroy me. Once we part tonight, I don't know what you will meet next."

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Her eyes widened in surprise when Satou grabbed onto her. The grasp was firm, almost painful. And the smile was twisted as he spoke the truth, no matter how boyish he wanted it to seem.

Nothing.

There was nothing she could do.

Nothing she could have ever done.​

Despair ripped through her, down to her very core. The horror unfolding around her shook her again, solidifying the reality of the situation. When he did let her hand go, she quickly grabbed onto it. Shock displayed on her face as clear as day. She said nothing while he spoke, growing more and more dumbfound at how easily he spoke of his death. Of how matter of fact it was supposed to be if he failed.

At some point during his admission, her head fell forward, cloaking her eyes from him. She was still listening. She heard when he admitted that he would face the demon. That he wanted the hatred and fear. Her frown grew as she searched for her words. Why did they have to speak of this while she was drunk and confused?

Nothing.

The word echoed through her mind again. She became what she was because of this man. Every move she made in her profession was in hopes that somehow she would be able to find a way to help him. No matter what she said to Ayumu, or Kushin, or Shin or anybody who asked her… every step she took to become who she was today was to help Ketsueki Satou.

Once we part tonight, I don't know what you will meet next.

She clenched her fist. He was going to face this alone, and there was nothing she could do about it.

“No…” she uttered softly through her lips. It could have been mistaken as wavering fear, and maybe Satou would think that she was finally scared of him. The grip on her wrist tightened, the frown on her face apparent. She held it close to her chest. She held their pact in her hand. No…” it came again. This time the true emotion she felt slipped through her voice. Her voice groveled with emotion. Then she looked up.

Her eyes were glossy. Yes, she was holding back tears… but they were tears of frustration and anger. “I will not accept that.” she said as she stood. She stumbled a little, her body incapable of obeying her commands, but eventually she steadied herself. “Do you think I will just sit here and wish you well in your endeavors?” She whispered sharply to him. “That I will hold onto your promises that you will come when I call, and that everything will be alright when in the same breath you speak about how necessary it would be to kill you if it does go wrong?” Now she was shaking. True rage coursed through her small body. “Bullshit.” Her brow crinkled as she looked up to the man. The crude word felt awkward on her tongue, but it was the only word that described how she felt.

She noticed the lack of light around her, and she accepted that right now the demon was looking at her, judging her, and probably laughing at her foolishness. How close was she to it? To being devoured as Satou so eloquently spoke? She forced her wrist forward. The scar, faded and barely noticeable shoved into his face. “We are bound by SOUL Satou. I am not going to sit here and let you face that thing alone.” She let her hand fall, but her rage was still there. “You are too important to me. Not because you can protect me, but because of who we became. Our decisions, yours and mine, led us down this path. I cannot lose you again Satou. I will not. I chose to be bound to you.” She paused. She didn’t say it all those years ago. In the bar, while she held onto his shirt. “You aren’t alone anymore.

Her tears began to spill. Call her selfish, call her stubborn, but she would not accept nothing as an answer. “The moment you decide to face it. I demand that I am there.” She looked into his eyes. “If I am going to lose you, I want to be there next to you. Even if it means that I have to be the one to…” her voice caught in her throat. She couldn’t say it, but she knew she would do it.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
What was there to be said, watching her act out her emotions in a sudden torrent. Seeing those eyes filled with worry, with tears, with anger. His chest tightened, his throat burned with words he wished to say. But he held his breath, holding thoughts of simply pulling her close and holding her. To comfort her in this emotional turmoil. "I...." Merely letting her go on in her tangent. His soft ember eyes looking into those, swelling teary eyes of her's. "Kahako..." He held her hand in his, not wishing to let go. Her sudden forwardness with their connection, how they bonded so far and that she cared for him and his well being.

They say that some words can move mountains, and sometimes devils do cry. A few tears were shed from his eyes. Her words had gotten to him. Her voice burned the back of his mind. "I won't abandon you." He pulled her to him once more, hugging the sobbing girl, his lips tried their best to form a weak smile for her. Tried to keep himself from falling apart as memories dared to flood his mind. He remembered things he wished would cease to be at this moment of weakness, his heart cried out for yearning of a women's touch, soft hands on his cheek. Her lips on his.

The sick churning of the alcohol and blood in him, his throat dried as he hid his face in her shoulder. He was drunk, emotional, and hungry. What a great night he was having. He couldn't help but laugh a little bit through the tears. "Great first night back.." He mumbled, and continued laughingly cough while wiping some tears. "Kahako, thanks for helping me. For saving me, I won't break my promise to you." He held up his sleeve to wipe the tears from her eyes. "If we face it together, don't be afraid, stay strong."

He wondered if he was to forward, slowly letting go if she wished to. "We should get you to bed, its late. You'll need the rest for whats ahead." He spoke softer, he felt weak all over, not having been this drunk this quickly in so long. His eyes seemed faded, as though he would pass out.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back